Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CS Saber Belt Question

Bill,

And i know this is off the thread a bit, but in talking with Les Jensen, he has no qualms about the CD being in Virginia earlier than 1864 and Bushrod Johnson's Division. I showed Les and Fred Gaede the reference from the 21st Georgia and they too drew the same conclusion. In the old forum archieves there was an excerpt from a Columbus Georgia newspaper mentioning issues of uniforms to Georgia and Virginia troops in late 1862. I believe either Lee White or someone posted it. Anyway, Les said that the Richmond Clothing Bureau could draw from any clothing depot in the South. As for Nick's research, he's a pretty thorough fella.

John Sweeney

Comment

Re: CS Saber Belt Question

Somebody posted on the old forum an account of "several carloads of uniforms" being sent to Lees army from Columbus. I dont think it is that far fetched to think that Columbus (and other GA depots) sent uniforms, just as cannons and belt plates were sent to VA from GA.

But without rock solid documentation it is just speculation on my part.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
      X