Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for cav unit in california

Gentleman
    I'm looking for authentic cab unit fed or confed in California any help would be much abliged.
    arrion pugh

Re: Looking for cab unit in california

Being in California, you may be better off looking for a zin or a pinot rather than a cab.

Seriously, good luck! I’ve been looking for an authentic infantry unit in CA worth checking out. Despite there being hundreds of reenactors across the state, people have been able to point me to exactly one unit that might be worth checking (which I will do Memorial Day Weekend).

Most units in CA fall under larger umbrella groups. You may want to check with them to see what’s out there. The main ones I’m aware of are:
    Bay Area/Sacramento:
    National Civil War Association (http://ncwa.org) – Not aware of any mounted cavalry units

American Civil War Association (http://acwa.org) – Not aware of any mounted cavalry units
    Fresno/Bakersfield:
    Civil War Reenactment Society (http://www.cwrs.info/Civil_War_Reena...iety/Home.html) – Not aware of any mounted cavalry units
    Southern CA:
    American Civil War Society (http://www.acws.net) – Website says two of five Confederate cavalry units are mounted. They also have a Federal cavalry unit that looks to be primarily dismounted.

Civil War Alliance (http://www.civilwaralliance.com/index.html) – Not sure what they have.
    Redding:
    Reenactors of the American Civil War (http://www.racw.org) – Not sure what they have. Appears they may have one small mounted federal unit.
    Eric Paape
    Because the world needs
    one more aging reenactor

Comment

Mr. Pugh has been looking as long as he's been a member here. Still no luck. He appears to be in the Bakersfield area.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Palmyra Possum,
        I don't know if you have already checked this unit, but I'm with the ACWA and while not my unit, there is a unit that is an authentic campaigner unit, 4th Va. Co. A "The Wythe Grays". http://acwa.org/4th-va-co-a. Hope its helpful, sorry if its not!
        -Joshua Tanis
        7th Va. Vol. Inf'y Co. C
        ACWA
        Pvt. Joshua Tanis
        7th Virginia Vol. Inf'y Co. C
        ACWA

"Up to the fence, 7th regiment, and give them hell!"
        -Lt.Col. Flowerree at the battle of Second Manassas

Comment

Re: Looking for cav unit in california

Joshua,

Thanks for the tip. That's actually the unit I plan to see Memorial Day Weekend. My understanding is that when my old unit folded, some of its last members wound up there. I'll swing by the 7th's camp and look you up.
          Eric Paape
          Because the world needs
          one more aging reenactor

Comment

It would be great to see a group portray the Los Angeles Mounted Rifles. This would give Californians a look at their Confederate History.
            Joey Hernandez Co. I 8th Texas Cavalry

38 Confederate Ancestors and Counting!

Comment

I’m more partial to Capt. Ingram’s Partisan Rangers myself. I used to live not too far from Almaden Valley where they had a shootout with federal authorities, arguably the westernmost “battle” of the war.

Incidentally, I went to the event I described above. Let’s just say I don’t expect to be returning to California reenacting any time soon. The unit I had hoped to see chose not to show up. If the unit commander I had emailed before the event had replied, I might have known that in advance. The other reenactors I saw, with few exceptions, were not exactly the caliber I would like to play with. I didn’t think anyone used Zouave rifles or 3/4 scale artillery anymore!

Josh – Keep doing what you are doing. You and your 2 or 3 pards under the trees were probably the best thing I saw there. You sure beat the CS marines (with a lower case “m” so as not to insult the many Marines I know and hold in high regard) with the propane stove in the middle of their camp.
              Eric Paape
              Because the world needs
              one more aging reenactor

Comment

To thread jack- the Los Angeles Mounted Rifles never saw combat as a unit. The Santa Barbara Mounted Rifles and El Monte Mounted Rifles saw more action and they were just militias turned vigilantes.
                Andrew Grim
                The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
                x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
                Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Originally posted by Palmyra Possum View Post
                  I’m more partial to Capt. Ingram’s Partisan Rangers myself. I used to live not too far from Almaden Valley where they had a shootout with federal authorities, arguably the westernmost “battle” of the war.

Incidentally, I went to the event I described above. Let’s just say I don’t expect to be returning to California reenacting any time soon. The unit I had hoped to see chose not to show up. If the unit commander I had emailed before the event had replied, I might have known that in advance. The other reenactors I saw, with few exceptions, were not exactly the caliber I would like to play with. I didn’t think anyone used Zouave rifles or 3/4 scale artillery anymore!

Josh – Keep doing what you are doing. You and your 2 or 3 pards under the trees were probably the best thing I saw there. You sure beat the CS marines (with a lower case “m” so as not to insult the many Marines I know and hold in high regard) with the propane stove in the middle of their camp.
                  We're neighbors, I live near the intersection of Meridian and Coleman. I'm NCWA. Will you be at Tres Pinos this year?

Comment

California, nothing better than a plastic fork in ones hatband to scream FARB!!!
                    Campaigner stuck in mainstream...

Comment

Mr Pugh
                      Hopefully by now you've found a good cav unit to join. If not then you've learned how in California the groups are broken down by regions. I will say in SoCal with the ACWS I have fought with the 2nd Kentucky and 2nd US cavalry. Both are good units and welcoming to new comers. There was a Maine cavalry regiment and a group of Terry's Texas Rangers that were in SoCal, but I believe they've both disbanded. Central California has NCWA and ACWA. Both had good groups of cavalry with dismounts squads, but it's been awhile since I've had contact with them.
                      I've recently returned to California myself and am looking at a group to join. I'm also considering starting a Mosby's Rangers squad if I can find enough members to join.

Dear Mr. Betancourt, although you've been a member for six years, this is your first post. Please review the forum rules found within the FAQ's about the few do's and don'ts of the forum. One of them is the signature rule. All posts must be signed with full name. Your post here had no name at all. Please do not make the same error again. - Silas Tackitt, one of the moderators
                      Last edited by Silas; 12-02-2016, 02:54 PM. Reason: Signature violation.

Comment

Jonathan,

You (and Mr. Pugh, if he's still looking) might want to check with the Battalion of the Common Soldier on Facebook. While its members are primarily infantry in SoCal, it does have members throughout the state who do a variety of impressions and who are familiar with what units are out there. However, I will tell you that the mounted cavalry units I've seen (primarily at ACWA and NCWA events) have not overly impressed me.
                        Eric Paape
                        Because the world needs
                        one more aging reenactor

Comment

Working...
                        X