X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendation Requested: US Wagon Harness

Jay,

Thanks for the feedback!

The picture was to illustrate what he makes as standard off the shelf. As research has yielded no contracts or specifications for an established pattern for U.S. Army ambulance harnesses early in the war, they may have been the contractors of the times, "off the shelf" items.

Please help me, what are the "fills?"

Yes, he will use whatever hardware I supply, or direct him to use. No, he's not going to use chrome (I'd die . . . ) He is going to use blackened brass, or iron (steel). He is willing to handsew with rosined 5 cord linen thread. :)

Any suggestions on a place to acquire the correct hardware? I have one query out but have not heard back from my initial contact.

Thanks!

John Novicki
    Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

John,

"Fills" are the wooden shafts that run from the buggy/cart/hack and in your case ambulance, as opposed to a draw bar and eveners (not sure I spelled that one right) that you would see on a two horse hitch.

As for the hardware, I do not know. I have never researched any sources for it.

Jay H. Johnson

Comment

Ah, I know them only as shafts . . . perhaps a regional term?

John Novicki
        Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

The actual spelling is thills. The old difference between thills and shafts is that thills were detachable from the vehicle and shafts were not meant to be, for example the mountain howitzer thills for single mule draw. Thills have fallen out of usage in this century.In the photo of the modern harness the terrets on the saddle are one piece upright the description you provided are for a fall type. Their purpose is to hold the reins up out of the way of the shafts or straps. Much of the hardware you need may be found at Weaver Leather (1 800 weaver1) but they do not sell retail. It is only available in solid or chrome plated brass and will need to be painted black, a constant maintenece problem.
          The modern saddle is a gig type but the originals appear to be wider and flatter with shallower stuffing pockets.
          Wickett and Craig also make an excellent harness leather if you buy only their top grade not their specials and will sell in one side quantities (1 800 tannery).
          Last edited by tmattimore; 08-03-2004, 06:55 PM.
          Tom Mattimore

Comment

Any reason you're going for the two wheel ambulance instead of a Ruckers? I used to ride a Ruckers back in the late 80s that was made after original Specs. I saw it a few years ago in Gettysburg at a Medical Display. It was funny, I knew it was the one I used to ride on right when I saw it. :)
            Rick Bailey
            Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Working...
            X