Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newest Cartridge Project

Dave, they look great to me!!!

I am at school now so it is kind of hard to do any work on the cartridges, but I have spring break in a couple weeks so I will be heading back home. I will get back to the cartridges then. I may try the dying option for the cartridges.

Dan
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Comment

Dan
      Grey florist foam is definitely available, I just purchased some from my local florist for another project. As for the paper, you could try nitrating some unprinted news paper. Or lots of N-SSA shooters use curler paper to make Sharps cartridges. The claim that it burns better then nitrated paper and it is a lot stronger than cigarette paper. Just my 2 cents.
      Terry
      Terry Schultz

Comment

Sharps Packs

Dave,

Are these the size packs that fit into the Sharps box that looks like a big pistol box with a single tin?

Chris Fischer
        F-Troop
        &
        Fort McKavett SHS

Comment

Re: Sharps Packs

Hi Chris,

Yes, that would be the box. However I do not have one yet myself, so I can't be certain they will fit into accurately reproduced Sharp's box tins.

The template size itself came from Gerald Todd who I believe does use such a box. So he may be a better person to confirm that they will fit. For now, I'm creating them just to store my extra rounds at events.

Cheers,
          Dave

Originally posted by FTrooper View Post
          Dave,

Are these the size packs that fit into the Sharps box that looks like a big pistol box with a single tin?

Chris Fischer
          F-Troop
          &
          Fort McKavett SHS
          Dave Gink
          2nd US Cavalry
          West Bend, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
            I will say the worst was a pard of mine at a modern parade, who thought that wax Minies would increase the "blank fart" report but the wax Minie liquefied and vaporized by the heat of the powder blast BEFORE it left the bore. He loaded the first one for our scheduled firing in front of the grand-stand, aimed at an overhead street light, and fired.
            BOOM! followed by falling glass bits...

Curt
            At which point the entire company hollered "HUZZAH!!!"

:D
            James Rice
            Co. H, 2nd Florida
            [i]"Tell General Hancock that I have done him and you all an injury which I shall regret as long as I live."~ Brig.Gen. Lewis Armistead, CSA[/i]

Comment

Dan,

Have you ever considered making a mold to produce foam repro- bullets?

There is two part expandable foam available through U.S composites. I have used this foam for making duck decoys in molds.... works great.

Making molds of bullets would be very easy....products for making molds can be purchased through most model making suppliers.

I'd bet for less than $100 you could purchase the material for making the mold and foam for making the bullets.

Do a google search on mold making and you will have all the info you need in an hour.

Best of luck,

Zane Every

Comment

Ok, so I just aquired a Sharps Carbine and now I must make cartridges for it. Has anyone yet perfected a good repro "blank" for use at events? From the previous discussions on this thread, it sounded promising. Thanks!
                Respectfully,
                Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Try to find someone locally or maybe even on line who is into the modeling hobby. Try at the local hobby store. They might be able to provide you some insight into making a mold from resins and materials to make the bullets with the characteristics you are looking for.
                  ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Hallo!

Not that I know of, or have heard about (yet).

It is a bit more time consuming but one can make a decent Sharps cartridge by rolling the body of the tube, and cutting and inserting/gluing circular disks to close the bottom end as per the original CW era version.

But, the discussion, IMHO, then drifts between historical or academic, and the hobby-based dilemma of how to simulate a Sharps bullet (NOT the "ring-tail' or '"boat tail') but the wartime bullet that goes with the war time cartridge. Without adding a projectile in the form of something that is shot out.

In THEORY, one could take a set of mold blocks, clamp them tightly, and fill them with expanding form. It would be relatively slow but, in theory, would work. And then the foam coul dbe painted silvery gray, etc.,

Or in theory, take a Sharps bullet and make a cast mold around it using say cyano-acrylate polymer type resin that them could be clamped and filled with foam.

But IMHO, I think that turns full circle as to whether such a blank cartridge fired is not "projecting" solid or liqiud with force enough to be dangeorus or a violation of (some) event rules.

Curt

Too bad wax does not worl. :) :)
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Howdy all,

This is an older thread but I was inquiring if there was any progress or final outcome...Maybe some came out with something different since then?
                      I like the the idea and as a newbie to ACW reenacting, this would be a great addition. Also, I am trying to reproduce Sharps ammunition boxes or "pasteboard boxes. I have a template I found on the 2nd Maine Cavalry's web page, but I was wondering about how did they open these boxes? With string or wire or some other type of ingenuity, and how was the previous attached or affixed to the box if it was?

Thanks,
                      Chris
                      Chris Kakavecos
                      U.S. 7th Indiana Cavalry Regiment
                      Company "A"
                      C.S. 1st Virginia Cavalry Regiment

South Central Indiana
                      CHRSKAK@SBCGLOBAL.NET

Comment

I guess first I'd try and verify if the floral foam worked in an untreated state. If it doesn't work "raw", it likely won't work in any other state, either.

Perhaps you can aid its disintegration by cutting either a single or a "+" slit into the nose of the bullet with a razor or very thin hot wire?

Steve
                        Steve Sheldon

Comment

Looks like a good idea. I have been thinking of how to make the sharps rounds more authentic. I thought molding cream of wheat. but part of my authentic round I have a question, where can I find step by step instructions on how to properly make these rounds? Thank you
                          Mark Staubus

Comment

Working...
                          X