Improving Artillery Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Improving Artillery Uniforms

Did Confederate Artillery crews have light blue pants?
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Your Obedient Servant[/FONT],
    [B]Daniel L. Gray[/B]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Lil' Bastid's Mess[/SIZE][/FONT]

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Wow, what a lot of good information. I would also opine that at some point they wore what the quartermaster had available for issue to replace worn out uniform items. I have read though that the Washington Artillery did covet their WA belt buckles and despite having their distinctive uniforms wear out did continue to wear the buckles.

We have looked extensively at the Bty F book while researching uniforms, realizing that they are a "snap shot in time" and may not reflect a total picture of attire for the duration.

I have also read a number of accounts where recruits from other branches, primarily infantry, who became artillerymen were issued their red-trimmed blouses.

Apparently earlier in the war their had been a difference in the number of rows of lace between regular and voluteer units, with voluteers having a single row and regulars two rows. Does this mean this practice continued throughout the war?

In many cases I believe all of us, regardless of how authentic we want to be, are looking at the war years through a "paper towel tube" where we cannot see the panoramic view from day 1 through day last, but catch glimpses.

We don't know what we don't know, but we do know a little bit of the everyday life and attire.

S/F

DJM
      Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
      (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

This thread has been dormant for awhile so I thought I would throw a log on the fire. Most of the posts have dealt with Rebel cannoneers, so what about you Union Artilleryman? We portray both here at the park. Has anyone found anything on the preponderance of the red trimmed mounted service jackets vs. sack coats for light artillery in the West in the summer of 63? I have always assumed sack coats were more common by midwar out here but we all know assumptions are not fact.
        Jake Koch
        The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
        https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
        -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
        -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

[QUOTE=Vicksburg Dave;98916]Here are some artillery uniforms from the Western Theater.

1. Port Hudson CS artillery officer's Jacket, mid 1863 http://www.cjdaley.com/CDred.jpg

2. Artillery Officers Jacket captured at Labadieville, LA, October 27, 1862. Attributed to a member of Co. H, 1st Mississippi Light Artillery (mustered in Natchez) but could also have belonged to a unit recruited out of New Orleans.

I have noticed that that particular jacket, was made by a lot of mothers whose boys were goin off to fight. Here is one example. Which was capture/Users/jennifernewberry/Desktop/PDRM1507.jpgd at battle of Louisiana from the Don Troiani collection. Not sure if its the same jacket.

Comment

Sorry it wont post. But if you look at http://wwandcompany.com/articles/research.html that is the jacket i was talking about

Comment

I just think it's Jim Dandy that our board has come to life. For the record this Fedreal's uniform is made by the man from NJ. when I picked it up he took out original pieces for comparison, Robert Land made my artillery boots.
              Regards,
              Jeffrey Cohen

(New videos)
              P.S.
              I hope this doesn't violate the rules, but on Aug. 9 we will be up at West Point USMA helping the Interped Fallen Hero's Project with the real U.S Army. If anyone has a clean federal uniform and wants to come and help out please let me know. It would be nice to have a couple of guns there.
              Jeffrey Cohen

Comment

There was a painting done by a Confederate artilleryman who served at Sharpsburg...unfortunately his name and unit escapes me but his painting appears in the Time-Life Books Civil War series with the silver covers...anyway, to make a long story short, he depicted his artillery crew in action clad in plain grey and butternut jackets, slouch hats, and non-descript gray and brown trousers...and not a single pair of high top boots in the picture...I have no cause to doubt the accuracy of his painting as he was there...
                Last edited by Secesh; 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM.
                Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Also, let's not forget T.V. Brookes uniform of blue trousers and plain 4-button jacket with plain slouch hat...
                  Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                  Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                  KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                    There was a painting done by a Confederate artilleryman who served at Sharpsburg...unfortunately his name and unit escapes me but his painting appears in the Time-Life Books Civil War series with the silver covers...anyway, to make a long story short, he depicted his artillery crew in action clad in plain grey and butternut jackets, slouch hats, and non-descript gray and brown trousers...I have no cause to doubt the accuracy of his painting as he was there...
                    Hi Tom, I believe you are referring to the work of Capt. Hope. The Sharpsburg NPS page has good images of these important works online. the painting your refer to is "Artillery Hell" showing (according to Les Jensen) S.D. Lee's Arty. Battalion in action.

Archie.
                    James "Archie" Marshall
                    The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
                    Tampa, FL

Comment

Yes Archie, that is the one I refer to. Thanks for clarifying! Best regards.
                      Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Long time member and lurker here. Also an artillery guy, so I had to chime in...

Not that I'm saying anyone should rush out and do this, but I've always been curious about the fact that so many of the canoneers in the Hope painting are rocking sabers (even the number five man on the second gun detachment). Also, the number one man on the second gun seems to be wearing a pistol on his right hip.

I've never done any research on this painting, nor the painter. Maybe someone has a little more info on why this veteran would have added those details? Obviously not a "ragged rebel" kinda guy, haha.

Like I said, I don't condone people just running out and buying swords and pitols, but I've just always thought it was interesting. I've always enjoyed this painting.

Regards,
                        Clifton McCurley
                        Clifton McCurley ~ Proud to be Awesome

Comment

I am not suggesting anyone should attempt to wear these uniforms, but was wondering if anyone would be interested in Michigan artillery uniforms ca. 1861. if so.

Battery A, 1st Michigan Light Artillery Regiment, were photographed at Fort Wayne Michigan in 1861 wearing dark blue nine button roundabout jackets with epaulets and standing collars. The jackets appear to be otherwise untrimmed. The men also wear forage caps. Samuel Sykes (Detroit) made some if not all of the pants. The rest of their uniforms were made by either Samuel Sykes & Co., E. S. Heineman & Co., James McGrath, or M. B. Kean (Michael) all of whom were making uniforms in Detroit for Michigan volunteers. While still at Fort Wayne Michigan, Battery A retained on their company books, some gray artillery uniforms, but these may have been some of their prewar fatigue uniforms. The battery was also issued overcoats (dark blue?), some stable frocks and some overalls, all of which were made by Michael B. Kean (Detroit). Kean also manufactured the officers’ dress coats, jackets, overcoats, and pants.

Battery B, 1st Michigan Light Artillery received uniforms made by Samuel Sykes & Company. At this time Sykes was making uniforms from New York made dark blue New York army cloth. These uniforms may have been similar to U.S. Army artillery uniforms.

Artillery batteries raised in Michigan for the remainder of 1861 were issued uniforms by the Federal government. These uniforms were probably similar to U.S. Army artillery uniforms. Many of these uniforms were likely made up in Detroit and were likely similar to U.S. Army artillery uniforms.

William T. Carr
                          VFW life member
                          Company of Military Historians
                          William Carr

Comment

Can I revive this topic?

The unit I'm in, Ferguson's Light Artillery, is an artillery unit raised in SC in 1862 that went and joined the army of Mississippi before/as it was being amalgamated to form the army of Tennessee. While we generally accept that they would likely have reeved CD jackets. We do have a record that our unit's CO requisitioned "Artillery Jackets" which we have no idea what that would be. He also requisitioned "Red wool for trimming the jackets." Does anyone know what an "Artillery Jacket" in the AoT could mean? My personal assumption would be he expected to get Columbus depots that the men would then trim red. Any information toward this would be appreciated.

- Jackson Grissop
                            Jackson Grissop

Comment

Jackson,
                              A number of years ago a good friend and fellow CW "cloth freak" Mark Latham shared a photo with me of a what appears to be a Columbus Depot jacket trimmed in red. He said it is currently in the collection of the Essex Institute in Massachusetts. He suggested since I live in Maine during the summers, I might want to visit and have them "pry it out" of storage so I could study it. That never happened I'm afraid, but I am attaching the picture he sent me. Appears to have first Lt. insignia so it came (probably) from an officer but does "prove" such things may really have existed. In later research I did on Hardaway's Alabama Battery's uniforms (my old N-SSA unit) I found correspondence showing that several of its members who were home in Alabama on furlough after getting wounded at Bristoe Station in 1863 were issued new clothing by the Columbus Depot before their return to the ANV following recovery. I always speculated they were given such jackets which may have been the only ones ever seen in that army. Who knows?

Dick Milstead
                              Last edited by rmilstead; 04-09-2022, 03:10 PM.
                              Richard Milstead

Comment

Richard,

Thanks for getting back to me! I thought for sure I wouldn't get a response... Several of us, including me own CD jackets. We've poured a lot of research into the uniforms of the AoT to improve it in our unit and it is the muddiest water I've ever seen. We think they could have possibly left Charleston in Charleston Depot jackets but for all we know they wore commutations to the field and then got resupplied. But like you said... who knows?

Jackson Grissop
                                Jackson Grissop

Comment

Working...
                                X