slip sliding away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slip sliding away

Since no one is using the COI, I might as well ask another question and get another problem solved. When I ride , my saddle blanket drifts back and off the horse in very short order. I don't want to use a pad, I want to keep things as authentic as possible, so what can I do? I use a wool blanket under a McClellen saddle. I need to uncinch and reajust every hour or so, or is that normal? plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Re: slip sliding away

How does your saddle fit your critter?
    John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
    "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

I assume it fits ok, I can't say for sure, she does not seem sore . I think you will apprecitae that I am test driving a saddle mule this week, they want 1200.00 for her. am still intimidated by mules...any advice???? plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Paul,
        What kind of saddle tree are you riding on what kind of horse? Wide tree on quarterhorse? Wide tree on walking horse? Narrow tree on quarter horse. This problem occurred with my walking horse who stays thin naturally. I bought a narrow tree saddle and years ago and that was my problem. I still use a breast collar to keep the saddle in place .I have another horse that does not need the breast collar with the same tree. So try a different saddle tree style on your horse. Does any one live close to you?
        Jerry Ross
        Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
        Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Paul, I'll have my Mac with me when I bring Shiloh over on Friday. You can try my saddle out on your horse and see if it makes any difference. We'll take a look at it and see if we can't find the solution.
          Dan Chmelar
          Semper Fi
          -ONV
          -WIG
          -CIR!

Comment

It is a Doud Kidd tree with qtr horse bars, my horse is a mystery,but I think she is part airhead...I mean arab, and qtr horse but no one knows for sure. I am going to try a breast collar, but that is just a shot in the dark. plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Paul,
              The breast collar will not help with the blanket issue. Is she on the thin side? High withers ? The quarter bars did not work on my TN Walker.
              Jerry Ross
              Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
              Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Paul what you need to do is put your saddle on your horse w/out pad or blanket, then it should be evident weather or not the saddle fits or not. Feel under the skirts and under the tree, also put a hand on the pommel and a hand on the cantle and see if it rocks any. If the tree is in full contact everywhere then it fits if it rocks and there are places that don't touch her then it doesn't. Dry spots are a good way to tell if it fits or not too but since you have a white horse they are difficult to see.

I'm going to go ahead and say that from what I've seen Arabs have an 1800's body style and the trees made today to fit QHs won't fit them.

That's a good price if the mule is broke, but remember if you plan to reenact with it you need to invest in a saddle that fits. Right now I have a Bob Marshal treeless saddle that fits any equine for my everyday riding saddle and then I use whatever fits the best for reenactments as far as period saddlery.

Bad fitting saddles and poor hoof care plague many reenacting horses. I can go to an event and watch a fella have trouble with his horse and know it is most likely bad saddle fit. I wore a hole in my horse's withers one time with my McClellan, I'm not proud of it.
                John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
                "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

Paul, Jerry is right about the tree/blanket issue... My blankets don't slip with my qtr horse bar Mac and my qtrs, but with both my Saddlebred and Walker they are slipping in 1/2 hour... Now the real trick is to find a narrow tree Mac being made out there... Z
                  [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                  [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Zack; That sounds right on the money, my hosre is not as wide as a qtr horse. Does that also mean that the saddle is going to make her sore? A norrow tree is a good idea, I have an 04 tree in the tackroom and I can whip out a mac. in a few days., thanks ......just kidding...ha ha ha ...whao, tough room! plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

I forgot to ask, is there a way to use my Mac anyway? I just ordered an Atlanta Arsenal tree for Glenn Pier Depot, So I'll have two saddles that are'nt fitting, or what? plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Paul,

If the saddle wont fit the horse, your options may be limited. Did you tell Karl that your horse had a narrow slope at the withers? If not, get on the phone tonight to stop things until he secures the proper tree. You don't need two that are too wide.

regards,
                        Mark
                        J. Mark Choate
                        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark: No I had never thought about it at the time Iordered the tree. I have always thought that wider was better and that is one of the big reasons that 04 's were looked down on, to narrow. Gosh...I hope all the new cav.folks are paying attention to all this! So... adding extra padding is not the answer, Does that mean I'm soreing up my horse ? I hate to think I'm hurting her. plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Paul,

If the tree is too wide, then the pommel comes down upon the crest of the withers. If too narrow then the base of the bars in a sense will "cut" into the back of the horse (think of an inverted "V" sitting on a flat surface). You cannot "pad" or "blanket" yourself into a good fit. Re-read John's post on laying the tree on your horses bare back and noting the points of contact and if there is any rocking motion. Sound advice.

A fella can do small events with limited damage but I have been on long campaigns of 100 miles plus (over the course of several days) that had a half dozen men have to fall out because their horses backs looked like hamburger.

regards,

Mark
                            J. Mark Choate
                            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

"am still intimidated by mules...any advice????"

Why are you intimidated? A good mule will do anything a good horse will do... and probably do it better.
                              Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Working...
                              X