slip sliding away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: slip sliding away

I know that Doug Kidd can customize your tree for you, but it'll take a long time. You could look into an original tree too.

Amen on the mule advice only change "anything a good horse will do" to "more than a good horse will do". ;D
    John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
    "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

John, there is a reason why the old saying goes "Ask a horse to do something he'll ask how... ask a mule to do something he'll ask why?"
      Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

I invite all who would like to talk mule to email me so we don't tie up this site...unless everyone would like in on the mule Q and A plm
        Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Some time ago I inquired about Mac trees through Steele (along about the time of the Jenny discussion). They are either doing one or planning to do one... So depending on what width bars they put on theirs we'll see. Z
          [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
          [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their input on my problem with the saddle blanket slipping back as I ride. I have found that the saddle fits,and that the rigging is not to far back, but discovered that when double blanketed I have no slippage. When my saddle blanket and sleeping blanket are in place, we'er fine, It's just one blanket that has the issue. So I am not sure the problem is solved or not...but thanks. ps; I'd like to hear some thuoghts on saddle mules. plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

mules are for working horses are for riding.i would only ride one of my mules to keep from walking. ronnie tucker[
              Ronnie Tucker,
              Chief of Scouts
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

Comment

When we ride here in Texas the horses are usually worn down long before the mules, especially in rough riding. I do agree that some mules in build and disposition are more suited to work than riding. My mule is from Missouri about 15.1 hh, flat on the sides (no belly) just the right weight and very agile. My mom who rides the horse I was riding at the last COI, has commented that Bonnie is very lofty and light-footed. She is what I would call a riding mule.

Now, Nathan Stark has a mule I would call a strictly driving mule. She is heavy set and probably 14.3 to 15 hh, slower in her movements and has a heavy step. When something has to be moved we get her. haha

Now what I didn't tell you is that my mule is Missouri fox trotter bred, so she is gated.
                Who knows where Nathan's mule came from, or how she is bred but she is far more stout than my "saddle mule".

Comment

Here's a trick that I learned a dozen years ago riding with the Critters: Many of us would double over the first 6 or 8 inches of the blanket under the front of the saddle. The "doubled" portion was on the top, folded back over the top pf the saddle blanket. This formed a double thickness at the front and made the fit a lot tighter. Kept the saddle from slipping to the rear.
                  Mike Ventura
                  Shannon's Scouts

Comment

I want to do a bit of follow up on this origonal posting about my saddle blanket slidding out the back of my Mac Cellen... It still does. Now that I have completed my new Texas saddle, the blanket does NOT slip. Mr Dan Chmealer and I [name dropper] went on a long ride the other day and there was no issue at all with slipping. . Still don't know why. It must be in the Mac tree is all I can guess, and still can't figure out how to fix it short of nailing the blanket to her withers., but I want to ride the texas saddle anyway. Thanks to all for their interest and help, and I would still be happy to hear any suggestions on this problem. plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Paul can you post a pick of your Texas saddle? Have you compared the shape of the bars on the mac and your Tex?

Comment

Yes John, I'll get a few shots and ask my wife to get them posted [have'nt got that far yet] on the site very soon.Merry Christmas plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Working...
                        X