Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips and Tricks.....

Ken,

Let's just call it the "Spirit of Christmas".............Ha.

Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I expect to unwrap my copy in two days and I've had some very pleasant eggnog myself tonight.
      Jerry Orange
      Horse sweat and powder smoke; two of my favorite smells.

Comment

Well I will have to take a peek at this book sometime. Sounds like it has good info that I could use.
        And again, Merry Christmas!!

Pvt. Philip Brening
        Philip D. Brening
        Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
        3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

It is a great book, looking at mine as we speak! Merry Christmas all!
          Mike Pearson
          Michael Pearson

Comment

I would like to say all of the extra tricks are excellent! I will add a few that y'all probably already know. Never tie your picket line lower than the horses head. Lower is a wreck waiting to happen. Try to have picket line manners, in another words unruly horses that might not get along next to others move them down the line. Tie quick release knots to the line.
            Make sure that horses reaching for hay or whatever dont get tangled in the lead lines. I have witnessed several of these over the years.
            Treat all horses with the up most respect. They may be "gentle" but they are an animal and at any given time something bizzare may happen.
            With your saddle blankets being folded into thirds, after each ride rotate a different third to keep the blanket somewhat fresh on the horses back. If you can brush the hairs back the same way after each ride. This will help prevent saddle sores. Grooming is important.
            In response to an earlier tip I have used my rain poncho over my horses back to keep him somewhat dry in a rain storm. I fasten it with small rope or my surcingle.
            Thanks,
            Lt. Mark Pike
            Terry's Texas Rangers Co.D
            "No Texan walks a yard if he can help it"

Comment

I'm not sure if this eBook is the same as the one mentioned as it has a different title, but the author is the same.

Here is the link: http://books.google.com/books/reader...der&pg=GBS.PP1

Originally posted by Choatecav View Post
              Everyone!!!

About mid way in this thread (11/22 to be exact), Marse Knopp made a suggestion that may have slipped by some of you. I ask that you go back and read his post on the availability of the book, "Horses, Mules and Ponies and How to Keep", by Henry William Herbert. Mr. Herbert was born in 1807 (same year as Gen. Lee, I believe) and this book is a wonderful tool for some of us that are trying to understand how, what, who, when, where, etc. with regards to horsemanship and day to day equine "stuff" of that era. As you will note from Ken's post it only cost $1.50!!!!!!. I got my copy today and was expecting a 20 page primer (which I would have been o.k. with)........but au contraire.......it is 420 freakin' pages long and chock full of stuff you and I need to know.

At the risk of hacking someone off (on the A/C??? surely you jest?) I will be so bold to say that if you don't have this in your library and for a buck fifty, you don't order it, then you nuts!!!!!!!!

There, I have said it and have it out of my system and you will now be returned to your original programming.

respectfully..........

Mark
              Dave Gink
              2nd US Cavalry
              West Bend, WI

Comment

Hi Dave,

I just got my copy out and yep, it is the same book. Good find and thanks for pointing this out. It really is full of wonderful information and should be "required reading" for anyone keeping and using horses in the way that we do.

Thanks for that find.

Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

"Horses, Mules and Ponies and How to Keep them", by Henry William Herbert.

Yes! This book has been invaluable to me over the years.
                  Patrick McAllister
                  Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

Working...
                  X