Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding with longarms in the saddle

OK
    This question is one I have been pondering for a long time. When I first got into cavalry (after my forced sabbatical, being stationed in Pearl Harbor); I started riding, and slinging my Enfield over my shoulder. I found it uncomfortable and kind of put me off balance. I now no longer have this problem, I use a sharps and or an 1855 Springfield, which is a more accurate for this region, not the Enfield.

My question is does anyone else have this problem and how are you correcting it?

Again this has been a question I have had for a while but didn't need to explore it because of getting different arms for my impression.
    Thanks
    [U]Andy Miller[/U]
    1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
    [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Re: Riding with longarms in the saddle

Andy ,
    I just hold on to my 3 band Enfield . I can't stand the sling either. When doing western cornfed I don't carry a sword or pistol so it is all I have to use. I do rest the butt of the gun on my strirrup, across the pommel when in single file ,on my shoulder to name few ways.
    Jerry Ross
    Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
    Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

I carry a Mississippi rifle but added a slide ring and use a cabine sling and snap that I make [advertisment] and prefer this to the over the back method of carry. I never got used to the trigger gaurd digginginto my back and my hat being knocked off. I did also cut 9" off the barrle and stock to make it into a carbine size, and like it so much better. plm
      Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

I have had a 42 slung across my back while mounted and just made it work.
        Aka
        Wm Green :D
        Illegitimi non carborundum
        (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
        Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Originally posted by AZFarrier View Post
          OK
          This question is one I have been pondering for a long time. When I first got into cavalry (after my forced sabbatical, being stationed in Pearl Harbor); I started riding, and slinging my Enfield over my shoulder. I found it uncomfortable and kind of put me off balance. I now no longer have this problem, I use a sharps and or an 1855 Springfield, which is a more accurate for this region, not the Enfield.

My question is does anyone else have this problem and how are you correcting it?

Again this has been a question I have had for a while but didn't need to explore it because of getting different arms for my impression.
          Thanks
          To my knowledge Andy the 1st and 2nd CA cav were issued Sharps carbines.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. Again this is just an old question. Yes the 1st and 2nd California Cavalry carried Sharps rifles (most of them, some were issued Mississippi’s), which I have one (a Sharps). When I first got into Cavalry back in 99, I had all my infantry accoutrements and an Enfield rifle, which I used in the saddle. I did ride long distances with it so having it over the pummel or just holding it was eventually a Hassel and out of the question.
            As said before I now have an 1855 Springfield. The sling swivels are closer together so the weapon is more balanced. This is the same rifle I have shown on my post picture. Because of the distance and the Apache, many Infantrymen were converted into cavalry; whereby were given a horse and tack, and added boots and saddles & Stable call to their daily routine. Myself, Troy Groves, and hopefully a couple others may make up a more mounted infantry unit, this is a future hope we are generating to fulfill.
            I appreciate all the replies.
            Thank you again
            [U]Andy Miller[/U]
            1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
            [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

Andy,

As you've given up carrying your Enfield this information may not now be relevant but it might be of interest. I have an original Enfield in my collection identified to Charles Ash, 2nd Kentucky Cavalry CSA, who rode with Morgan. He solved the carrying problem by removing the sling swivel from the upper band and placing it on the middle band thus creating the same arrangement as on the Springfield longarms. It is also interesting to note that the left stock flat is worn almost smooth, evidence in my opinion that, when slung across his back, Ash had the lock facing away from his body.

Regards,

Patrick Reardon,
              Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

Patrick,

Excellent post!

I am trying to visualize how this would balance when carried. If I understand correctly, when he moved the swivel from the upper band to the middle, it would have made the sling tighter to his body (which is good) but it would have extended the height of that 3-bander up pretty high (which is not so good). Does the wear indicate whether he had the butt up or down as it was carried?

I used to (and still do occasionally) carry a Mississippi Rifle with butt down but as a two-bander the barrel did not stick up so high which when riding through heavy woods is a big consideration and would be compounded with the length of a full Enfield.

regards,
                Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I agree with Jerry that if you don't have to carry a saber or a revolver at the same time as a three bander, then just holding it is the way to go. If you do an impression where you are carrying your three bander, but also need to have a revolver or saber, this is what I have done. It is similar to what Patrick mentioned, but I completely take off the middle band. I still leave the sling at the top band which leaves it riding low and out of the way of branches, but you don't have the issue of the bolt on the middle band digging into your back. Now, I'll admit that I don't have documentation for this, but this is something that I have learned from in-the-field experience. I also always sling it muzzle up. I know of some people that don't use their ramrods and they are practically stuck in their channels, so loosing it isn't an issue, but when using your ramrod a lot I feel that it would eventually fall out if you sling it muzzle down. It might not today, or tomorrow, but eventually you like likely loose it.
                  Dan
                  Dan Chmelar
                  Semper Fi
                  -ONV
                  -WIG
                  -CIR!

Comment

I've never seen documentation of troopers cutting down rifles and field modifying them to carry as carbines. Maybe someone else has some documentation to support that? I carry a Mississippi and 99% of the time, I just hand carry it like everyone else. In single file, I carry it across my pommel. At a gallop, I hold it in my hand or rest the butt on the seat of the saddle in front of me. However, when I do sling it, I sling it butt down and usually with the butt to the left. I find that a lot easier when mounting. I find that after a full day of riding hard, the gun will rub blisters on my back and it's seldom comfortable, but until I find documentation to the contrary, I'll have to assume that the troopers we are here to portray also dealt with discomfort and blisters.
                    Larry Morgan
                    Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

I cut down me mississippi before I really knew what I was doing. I was new into active cavalry, and just knew Iwanted a carbine for my long arm as I already had a three band springfield. But documantion or not, I have always figured that those boys were just as individual as we are, and if I want to cut down my weapon...I by God will. I have the wood working , blacksmith and farmer abilites to make such a change in a weapon and those kind of tools would be readily avalible everywhere.In hind sight thuo, I wish I would not have cut it down, but I did so I shoot yanks anyway documantaion or not. plm
                      Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Paul,
                        Documentation is what this site is about. I hope you are not here to spread that kind of message. WE want to portray ordinary every day soldiers. We don't make what we want to meet the impression. We meet the impression through documentation.
                        I sure hope this message is loud and clear. We have standards and keep them up on high.
                        Jerry Ross
                        Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
                        Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

This thread might be heading down a slippery slope. I agree with Jerry. I see a lot of troppers with the added rings on the side of muzzle loaders, but I don't think I have ever seen one on an orginal or any documentation of guys altering their guns in that way. With all of the great info that Will has been posting the last couple of weeks, one can see the types of guns and the slings that were being issued. That being said, and Jerry is right about looking for documentation, has anyone seen any accounts of attaching rings to muzzle loaders to carry on a carbine sling? Has anyone read about a trooper carrying his long arm in his hand for any lengths of time? Looking for the documentation that Jerry is correct in asking for.
                          Rob Bruno
                          1st MD Cav
                          http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Hummmm.... back to the "Higher Standard" debate... Maybe for longarms we should be looking at how mounted infantry carried their longarms... Z
                            [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                            [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Hang on ladies and gentlemen..............

We are in the COI portion so creative questions can be asked and I "think" that what Paul was trying to convey is that back in his past (before he saw the error of his ways) he cut the Mississippi down and wishes that he had not.

That being said, and in reply to Rob's question I don't know of an example where it was done and in fact, if I was a betting man, I would wager that it was not done as the Mississippi was known for it's accuracy at distances and even gained legendary status back in its' infancy in the Mexican war when Jeff Davis' troops carried it, for accuracy. All of that accuracy coupled with only a two-band length to begin with, would have made cutting it down and losing that accuracy, for only a smidgen of length reduction and comfort very, very unlikely, indeed.

So, in summary, we have all done some field mods in the past, thinking we had it figured out but may not have seen the whole picture. While nothing can be done to "re-attach" the barrel, ha, it is not something that we would want to promote as an accurate portrayal.

regards,
                              Mark
                              Last edited by Mark Choate; 12-05-2011, 03:50 PM.
                              J. Mark Choate
                              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Working...
                              X