Looking For Saddle Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking For Saddle Input

Berry; I would be happy to match your bits specs and build you a CSA dragoon or selma arsenal, or trooper bit . See Ken's site or mine if this interest you... mullerslanefarm@gmail.com . I feel for you in the thought of replacing your good old horse with another.Rare that the new one measures up. plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Paul,

Barry's original post indicated a move toward more of a pre or early war impression and tack. Your bits look great but are more mid-war.

So, the question is this: Have you ever thought of expanding your inventory towards reproducing some pre-war civilian bits. There are plenty of good photos and examples of bits of the mid-century. You could research just those which have turned up on the Arabia and have some pretty good examples to target.

What say ye??

Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

But, one of Paul's "plain bits" would be fitting for a civilian bit.
        Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

If I remember correctly, the dragoon would fit early war , and Andrew is also right that a plain "civilian" bit would work too. I also am working on early war for Shilo, and changed from a trooper to a civilian head stall with a csadragoon bit to go with am new texas saddle . Where is Mr. Ken when we need him :> AS far as expanding into Civilian bits...I am equal oppertunity, and right handed so I'll make anything you'll want. plm
          Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

I appreciate the comments on my Texas saddles, but I understand that Barry wants a more "English" rig, and I don't build saddles of that type. I would say that Stuart Lilie does the best job I've seen in that area.

If you change your mind and want a Texas or California saddle, I'd be happy to help.
            Casey Mott

Comment

Thank you all for your input. Lots of very good information. I will be building this slowly over the year as funds allow. It will basically be one part at a time. I also need to get a good civilian sack coat as well.

I'm off work tomorrow for another treatment so I may be offline again for a while. I will log on to read any comments but might not respond right away.

Thanks
              Barry Smithson

Comment

Just to answer Paul's question on Ken. He has had a really terrible time getting his computer back to full force. It completely crashed and attempts to repair and/or replace have not been very successful. I spoke to him last night and he is frustrated, but hopeful for the near future.

As to your "plain bit" I did not know that you had one and if so, that is great. There is just a strong ground swell in the direction of mid-century civilian stuff right now. Sounds like you can adapt as needed.

regards,
                Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Well gentlemen, it looks like I will have more time than I hoped for to build my newer impression.

Things did not go well with the doctors. On Tuesday I go in for surgery again to have yet another body part lopped off and then a ton more tests to get to the bottom of the problem. It looks like I will be out for the whole season this year.

I did have my little birthday party for my “Big Bad Old Man” yesterday. Like I said, he turns 26 tomorrow. He got apples, granola bars and his absolute favorite, watermelon! I did tack him and take him for a little ride yesterday since it will be quite a while before I will be able to ride him again. My wife and youngest son will pick up the slack and keep him in shape.

I was really hoping to sneak down to Shiloh but that is not going to happen. Even though I have been doing cavalry for a long time, I have been so fired up since the great COI last year. I learned a lot and have been putting it to good use. I got it down now to where I can pack and carry everything I and my mount need for an event without having to head back to the trailer.

I will miss seeing you all but I hope it turns out to be a great event. I really wish I could be there for the ride from Corinth. I hope you all enjoy it.

I’ll keep you updated on my progress on the new civilian gear as I get it. It is just going to be a little slower with all of the medical bills but I am determined to be set for next season.

Please post or message me on how the event went. I will have to count on the vicarious version.

All the best,
                  Barry
                  Barry Smithson

Comment

Barry,

I am really sorry to hear of the negative turn of events that you are facing. I know how much you were anticipating a big year in 2012 and I can only imagine the disappointment that you are feeling.

We, in the cavalry community wish you the very best of luck in your procedures and I hope the outcome will be good and this will someday be behind you. We will be posting AAR's and comments after many of the events this year. Please keep us updated as to how you are progressing.

you are in our prayers,

Mark
                    J. Mark Choate
                    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

What he said!
                      John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
                      "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

Working...
                      X