Ride.........Ride...........Ride!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ride.........Ride...........Ride!

Sir I want to say your words make me feel like I am not the only crazy man out there riding when its 10-30 Degrees out side, I am in Iowa after all and you never can tell what the temp. will be from minute to minute... but I do agree and try at my utmost to get a good 20-30 mile ride in at least 2-3 times a week. And while some may think it a little weird I always ride in my wool trousers and brogans or cav. boots, just is more comfortable that way. I by no means would label myself a model to shape after but I must say if we are to work with fervor on our impressions and our gear and the wear of such, then need to also work on our horses wear of that gear, let them come accustom to the feel of the bedroll/blanket rolls, the feed bag and larriet hanging, or the way the saddle bags sit when full. And grow strong and vibrant with carrying that weight and us on the ride at different paces. As well as we need to know how it all moves and flows with our mounts. Our 4 legged pard's need our attention and their work out as well as we need ours. I know I have been only in the mounted community a short time in the span on my time in the hobby. But your words have run true and should with all of us. Our horses are what sets us apart as you say and our closest friends and companions, as with any good relationship we must build and nurture it. So my friends lets ride....... and if any of ya'll be in southern Iowa or northern Missouri feel free to drop me a line always happy to ride with comrades in arms.
    Dave Gordy
    "Saddle Sore Mess"
    "I figure a man's only good for one oath at a time, and I took my oath to the Confederate States of America."--JOHN WAYNE, Th Searchers

Comment

Well then John, come on out to one of our gigs. If you REALLY want to get a taste for cavalry, I'd recommend our Aldie ride in mid June.

Take care,
      Tom Craig
      1st Maine Cavalry
      Tom Craig

Comment

John, Gordy........

For you or anyone that seriously wants to "taste" the cavalry there literally is no better place to start and learn from the ground up (or refine your current cavarly skills) than our COI coming fast in late March. All are invited and rental horses are available.

Fact is, we have hosted many other curious, willing and able infantry types in the past including Matt Woodburn and Pat Craddock and.... there is a rather persistent rumor that Justin Runyon has threatened to come this year. Love to have ya!! You don't have to be an expert horseman. One only has to (be a male and) bring a good attitude. We'll help ya from there.

It is "cavalry-specific" in a no-pressure, controlled enviorment. At the COI you will LIVE like a Confederate cavalryman of 1863 in the field! There will be multiple sessions of mounted drill (last time we had over 60 mounted attendees), a cavalry living history campsite and, several special CS cavalry oriented educational programs in period.... saddlery, horsemanship, horse care, clothing, weapons, accoutrements, food preparation, packing for the light marching order campaign, tips for living “comfortably” in the field “period” style and more. EXPECT a lot of riding, comradery, sharing info among other cavalrymen, learning .....and fun!

Hey! The 150's are fast passing by. After that...Who knows? So, this might be one of the few or even last opportunities to experience this aspect of CW reenacting. Don't miss it!!

Ken R Knopp

Comment

I live in the NC area (just south of Raleigh) and do both US and CS Infantry. However, my Mom showed horses when she was growing up (in MA) and I used to ride a tiny bit when I went to go visit my Mom's parents when I was younger (grew up in CT and moved to NC in '07). I have always wanted to try cavalry (either US or CS), if there is someone in NC (prefereably close to Raleigh) that can help me out...please let me know.
          Robert F. Wallace
          38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
          North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Rob,
            Can't help with the NC side of things, but if you can make it to VA for an event, we can hook you up!

Take care,
            Tom Craig
            1st Maine Cavalry
            Tom Craig

Comment

What are you gonna do Tom, put skis on your mounts?

Comment

Mark, Great post. maybe next year I will be able to experience snow riding. But for now, I am stuck riding in 70-something degree weather(DARN). The Florida State Fair is here and I will get to ride in a law enforcement capacity and expose Rocky to everything from screaming kids to helicopters landing and taking off to Ferris Wheels and "The Himalaya'! Great training no matter what the temperature is!
                3 months, 12 days...............................
                [I][SIZE=3]Jeff Gibson[/SIZE][/I]
                [SIZE=3][I]Consolidated Independent Rangers[/I][/SIZE]
                [I][SIZE=3]Formerly of Sunny Central Florida now the rolling hills of Tennessee[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboy View Post
                  What are you gonna do Tom, put skis on your mounts?
                  Chris, he may have to given the storm on the way....Though since I'm from CT (and ski) this oncoming snow is a good thing (not so much the shoveling/plowing part though). I wonder if they make snow shoes for horses if skiis won't work:).
                  Robert F. Wallace
                  38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                  North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Ride Christmas parades, field trials,nights,in the rain,through thick woods, in mud, past garbage trucks and motor graders,with dogs,by cows,mini horses,goats, and pot bellied pigs,saddle deep in rivers,in steeps hills, and anywhere else you can find thats not a flat, quiet, straight, dirt road. Flush up a few quail, jump a couple of deer up,ride in really windy conditions. Where I'm from we ride when its so damn hot they're sweating in the pasture before we even tack them up. Expose them to any and everything you can imagine, and then some. Fill your pasture with horse eating monsters like trash cans and road cones and big blue tarps.
                    Its a marriage between you and your mount. In time you'll figure each other out as much as is possible. That's the only way I can imagine becoming anything close to a horseman.
                    They might not do what you want everytime, but you can count on them to be themselves, and thats good enough.
                    Just my thoughts on infrequent riding...sorry to ramble on.
                    Greg Tucker
                    Greg Tucker

Comment

Gents,

I have been pleasantly surprised with the great responses to this thread. It is good to hear how that many of you do ride regularly and that others are going to make concerted efforts to improve on their riding habits. We have had almost as many non-cavalry replies as those in the mounted side of the hobby and the same holds true for the emails and P.M.'s that I have received.

For those not in the cavalry currently, that may be approaching "burn-out" or getting bored with what you are doing, I can assure you that getting into this side of things will bring back the 'burn" just like you had when you began. As I tell folks so often, while we humans know that we are not really at "war",..... for that 1,200 lb. horse under me, it is just as real now for him as it was 150 years ago for his ancestors! Now that's a rush!!

When you need a bit of encouragement with your riding, remember these three simple rules:

Rule #1: It is good for you.
                      Rule #2: It is good for your horse.
                      Rule #3: See Rules #1 & #2.

Enjoy..............

Mark
                      J. Mark Choate
                      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Working...
                      X