Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primary Accounts Thread

November 29, 1861

Wieneke: Friday Nov 29th 61 this morning it is Clear but Cold the thermometer must be about 15 Deg below Zero we started and marched to Vermillion the Seat of Government of Dacotah Teritory here we had a verry good Camping ground with plenty of water I forgot to mention that last night we had to Carry all of Our water from one well half mile from Camp and had not enough to Cook Coffee. . . .

Cherry: Friday, 29th. Resumed the march this morning at eight Oclock and marched fifteen miles and encamped near Vermillion. The population of this place is about two hundred. It is said to be the largest town in Dakota and is the Capitol of this Territory. It is on the Bank of the Mo. river and is a very pretty site for a town. Several of the boys went up in town to night and got tight as Bricks but the Captain did not hear of it. If he had they would have been sorry for it I tell you. Our Orderly Seargent and I came into town to gather and was behind all the rest. When we came to the hotell we thought we would go in and warm. What was the Orderlys surprise to find one of his old friends there and that he was the proprietor of the house which was a good one to. He made us stay for supper and stay all night with him allso so after we eat our Supper we went down into camp and remained there untill after roll call and then went back and slept on a good feather Bed and eat a good Breakfast in the morning. This was nice was it not. Well you may think what you please we called it O. K. we did exactly (but I have often got just as good at home).

Martin: Friday 29th – Resumed our march and marched seventeen miles and camped at Vermillio and the capitol of the territory.

Map so Far.png
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

November 30, 1861

Wieneke: Sat Nov 30th 1861 Cold this morng but no wind looked as though it would rain also like snow marched 22 miles one man in our Company named Cannon an Irishman stopped at a house on the side of Gim [James] river and Sold a blanket that he had stolen from one of his mess mates and traded it off for 1 qt whisky the officers sent a Corporal and 6 men back with him to the house and made him get the blanket and bring it home and then got a board & marked it with Chalk (stole a Blanket and trade it off for whiskey) then parraded him through the whole Camp.

Cherry : Saturday, 30th. Left camp this morning at eight Oclock and marched twenty two miles and encamped on James River. We crossed this stream on the ice. The men was very tired this might. I was very tired and cold when I came into camp and went to a large fire and warmed myself. After I began to get warm I felt sick and had the cold chills run over me. I went up to the Captains tent as soon as I saw I was going to be sick. I went into the tent and sat down by the Captains Stove and as soon as I done so the Captain remarked why Cherry are you not sick. I told him that I did not feel very well but thought I would get better when I got warmed through good again. He got up and went to his trunk and took out a flask of Brandy and gave me some which helped me as soon as I had taken it. Mrs. Snook came in then and she made me some tea with some Brandy and ginger in it which warmed me up very quick. They allso made me stay in there for supper and I got a good one to for our Officers lived at the top of the pile. I remained in the Officers tent until bed time and then went out into my own tent and went to bed and slept soundly and waked up in the morning as well as ever. While we was here an old Irishman by the name of Cannon stole a blanket and sold it for whiskey to an old Frenchman that lived near. He was caught at it and reported to the Captain who immediately ordered him arrested and sent a corporal with six men to get the Blanket and bring it back into camp. The Corprall went and done as he was directed. When the Blanket was returned the Captain put a board upon the theifs back with this inscription on it I stole a blanket and sold it for whiskey. He was then put in charge of a corprall and marched all over the whole camp to let the men all read it. After this was done he was put on Guard and made to stand Guard all night. After he was put on Guard he told the Officer of the Guard that if he would come and stand Guard in his place he would bring in sixteen of the finest chickens he ever saw and he could have half. The Officer told him that he was not standing Guard as much as he was. I will bet he wont steal another Blanket very soon again.

Martin: Saturday 30th – Left Vermillio at 7 ½ o’clock and marched twenty-two miles and camped in the timber near the James River. This was a pretty cold day’s march.

Sioux City Register, November 30, 1861:

Companies A, B and C, of the 14th regiment of Iowa volunteers, arrived in this city on Tuesday evening, en route for Fort Randall, having been detailed by the Government to garrison that post, and relieve the regulars now in service there. The companies were respectively commanded by Captains Pattee, Mahanna, and Wolf -the former having command of the battalion. The men composing these companies were a fine looking robust body of soldiers, and in appearance and deportment are highly creditable to the State which has received so many encomiums for the honor and bravery of her gallant volunteers.

Map so Far.png
      Bob Welch

My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

December 1, 1861

Wieneke: Sunday Dec 1st Cold, Cold, verry Cold got up and started at Sevon Oclock the wind blowing harp from north west traveled 17 miles the day was the Coldest we have had some of the Boys froze their fingers hands & Ears. was sick with the Diarraeh had the home sickness more this day than any since we left the City. . . .

Cherry: Sabath, December 1st. Left camp at James River at seven Oclock and marched seventeen Miles and encamped on the open Pararie near a traders house which was about two miles from timber. This I think was the coldest day I ever experianced. I froze my nose my cheeks and chilled all my fingers on my left hand. We could not keep warm no way we could fix it. We marched some of the way on double quick until we would get out of breath and then we would not be warm. I thought I would certainly freeze before I got whare there was a fire but I got along very well much better than some of my companions. Some of the men froze their feet and could not walk at all the next day. We went out on the bare Paraire to camp. There was not a stick of wood to make a fire with and the wind was blowing a gale that was sharp enough to shave the hare from ones head and we was standing arround putting up our tents allmost froze. After the teams was unloaded they went for wood but it being two miles off it was some time before they could go that distance and cut it and get back. I dont believe no set of men ever sufferd more than we did that night hungry cold and nothing to warm us, was not a very cheering prospect to us but after the wood came and we got our fires made and our supper cooked and eat we felt better. We all went to bed early and slept comfortably and warm. In fact I never slept more soundly in my life but when we pitched our tents I had no other idea than that some of the men would freeze to death before morning, but we all got up in the morning all right and in the best of spirrits.

Martin: Sunday – December 1st – Left James River with the intention of going twenty-four miles but it was so extremely cold that many of the men froze their fingers, ears, noses, and toes. Owing to the extreme cold, we marched only sixteen miles, but there was no wood or water where we stopped. Simply a small house where the Commander could get his women in to warm, and as they did not wish to ride any further, we were made to wait on the open prairie until the teams could go three miles for wood. This was the hardest of our trip. Every man nearly frozen and had we not kept stirring around, we would undoubtedly have some of us frozen to death. On going to bed, we expected nothing else but to find some poor fellow frozen in the morning, but the weather moderated in the night and in the morning it was very comfortable.

Map so Far.png
        Bob Welch

Comment

December 2, 1861

Cherry: Monday, 2nd. Left camp at nine Oclock and marched 13 miles and encamped again on the open Parairie. The day was very pleasent and we had a very pleasent march. We went into camp about two Oclock. We had to bring our wood four miles this time but it was not very cold and we was not as hungry as we was the night before and we did not mind it much. I was sick again to night and was allso on as Seargent of the Guard but could not act. Corpral Snook took my place. I was never much sicker in my life than I was for a while that night. I went up to the Officers tent again to sit beside the stove and Mrs Snook made me another cup of tea that releived me wonderfully. They insisted on me siting up again and eating supper with them but I was so sick that I could not eat. I thanked them kindly and set stil by the stove which apeared very comfortable to me just then. After Mrs. Snook had docterd me up I went into my tent and went to bed. The other boys fixed the blankets in arround me and done every thing they could to make me comfortable. You may rest ashured that I felt truley thankfull to them for their kindness and hope I may be able to repay them some time for their trouble. If it had not been for the kindness of Mrs. Snook and that of my mess mates that night I would have sufferd more than I did and by the way I will say that Mrs. Snook is the best woman I ever saw. She was like a mother to all of us. When any of us was sick it seemed a pleasure to her to administer to their wants and to try and make them comfortable. Next comes my mess mates I dont beleive there ever a lot of brothers that was more kind to one another than they was. It seemed to be the aim of every one of them to make themselves instruments to add to the comfort of the others and all done every thing we could to make it pleasant for one another. There was not a short word spoken during our whole march. Every thing passed of pleasantly and agreeably to all I think.

Martin: Monday 2nd – Left desolate camp and marched twelve miles. Nothing of interest happened this day. Got into camp in time for dinner.

[Note: Mapping this portion of the march is difficult to do accurately because this portion of the Military Road no longer survives. The current road system no longer utilizes the road and farmers have reclaimed the land for agricultural use. The following link illustrates the path of the Military Road through Bon Homme County.]

Map so Far.pngMilitary Road Map.pdf
          Bob Welch

Comment

December 3, 1861

Wieneke: Tuesday Dec 3rd this the 4th anniversary of my Wedding opened up verry fine warm and pleasant as a morning in April Started and travelled 22 miles into the Indian Reserve — 2 miles back from our Camp we came across lodges of Indians in a Deep hollow. The Squaws & Children Crawled through the grass looked like a flock of quail we did not get down to them as we wanted to get on and camp our camp this evening is in a verry lovely spot the pleasantest since we have left the City it is on a flat [illegible] north east with the back toward a run on the opposite side of which were verry high Bluffs covered with Cedar ash and Other kinds of trees the run was not frozen and the bottom pebbly I could have spent a week there verry pleasantly in such weather as we had

Cherry: Teusday, 3rd. Resumed the march at nine Oclock and marched twenty five miles all the way over an open parairie. We did not see a house tree stone stump or fence or in fact any thing out side of our command but sky and Pararie untill we was within two miles of our camping place. Here we came to a ledge of rocks and some Wigwams and a few Indians. These was the first Indians we had seen. They was quite a curiosity to us all. We encamped on a small Pararie creek this night and had a splendid camp and a good supper.

Martin: Tuesday 3rd – Left camp and marched twenty-three miles which brought us to Indian Station, while on our march this day at about 1 o’clock the men were scattered to the right and more than one-half of the men left the ranks. They did not leave for victuals. It seems there was an Indian settlement just over the hill in the hollow, and they, out of curiousity, wanted to see the . I saw one peeping over the hill at us, his dog near him. When we would point toward him, his head would drop.

Map so Far.png
            Bob Welch

Comment

December 4, 1861

Wieneke: Wednesday Dec 4th still verry pleasant and warm this mom Started at sunrise and made the station by noon 17 miles the station as it is called is situated on the river Bottom and Consists of a large warehouse sawmill and lot of Indian Cabbins here you could see the natives in all states from those who were dressed in their skins to those who lived in houses and dressed better than I can here the Captain received orders to Cross the river and take up the west side but the teams would not do it as they feared that the Ice would break. I vollunteered to cross with my horse & wagon and did so after I had crossed the Captain reed another order brought by an Indian from Pattee that we were to Keep on up this side for sevon miles further and then Cross so I had to go back we then marched up 2 miles and camped on the Bottom this evening our Camp was crowded with Indians until the guard had to drive them out. . . .

Cherry: Wednesday, 4th. Left camp this morning at seven Oclock and marched sixteen miles over the Pararie without seeing a single man or any thing out side of our command. We received orders this morning to take our guns and carry them in order to show our strength (for they had been hauled in the waggon all the way from Council Bluffs). Pattee went on in the stage the night before and left the command to Capt Mahanna and it was for once conducted right. We passed through the Indian Agency and halted here a short time to rest. We found several white families here which apeared to be very respectable people and well informed. This agency is whare the Sioux Indians received their Annuities from the Government. The Agent from all accounts is a rascall and cheets the Indians out of their just dues. The Indians surrounded the Agency about two thousand strong and thretned to burn it. A messenger was sent to this place for troops and Lut Tennet” went down with about one hundred men and drove off the Indians. This hapened last fall. The Indians went off on a Buffalow hunt and have not returned yet. The Officer of this post dismissed the Agent and had a new one appointed which is no better than the other and there is much dissatisfaction among the Indians. They have made their threts that they will burn the Agency when they return from the hunt and if they atempt that we will have to go down there and attend to them. The interpeter says that they can muster eight thousand warriors if they try. This will give us a pretty hard rub but I geus we can manage them. We will give them the best we have at any rate, and that is as good as any one can do. We encamped on the Bottom about two miles from the Agency and the camp was full of Indians. They was all well armed and equiped but are in a state of starvation allmost. When our Guard was mounted they was told to pick a chee which means to leave. They understood and left very soon after getting the orders. They did not apear to like this much but if we had let them stay in camp untill after dark they would have stole every thing we had. You bet the Boys that was on Guard kept their eye peeled that night and walked their beat pretty steady to. The boys was in high glee to night to think they was so near Randall we being only sixteen miles from that place.

Martin: Wednesday 4th – Left camp at 8 o’clock and marched sixteen miles which brought us to Indian Agency and camped in the woods in among the Indians. They were around and in our camp with their weapons of war until we mounted our guard, and, of course, we ordered them out, which they willingly did.

Map so Far.png
              Bob Welch

Comment

December 5, 1861

Wieneke: Thursday Dec 5th 61 Started and made 7 miles up the river 7 mi & Crossed the river on the Ice went up 2 miles when we met Pattee & were marched off to the right of the post on the river Bottom & camped

Cherry: Thursday, 5th. Left camp at nine Oclock and marched to Fort Randall D. T. We marched about seven miles and then crossed the river on the ice. We lost our road before we got to the river and did not know whare to go so we got an Indian for a guide and he took us through all right. We arrived at this place about three Oclock on the 5th of December 1861. When we got near the place we was met by Capt Pattee who told us that we would be obliged to go into camp two days there in the woods to give the Regulars time to get out of the quarters. We did not like this much but had to make the best of it so we set up our tents again and went to work cooking our supper after the old fashion. We remand in camp that night and the next day and the next untill about noon when we went up and took possion of our own quarters. The Regulars left on the sixth. We went out in full rig to see them off and gave them three hearty cheeres and they in turn gave three for the Iowa Vollenteers. On the night of the fifth we all received an invitation to attend the Theatre and of course we accepted and all went up and was very agreabley entertained. The performance was very good as good as ever I saw. At the close the actors sang a song they had composed for the Ocassion called a wellcome to the Iowa Vollenteers which was very good and was cheered loudly by us all. So ended our first night at Fort Randall. We keep up the theatre still but I have not attended it yet. They say it is very good. They had a performance last night. It is free to all. Besides this we have a Lyeceum which is well attended and is very interesting. The subject that was discussed last Thursday night was resolved that Wimmin should have the right of sufferage. I was on the afirmative of this question and got beat to. It was decided in favour of the negitave. The question for the next evening is resolved that the Perusale of fictitous works is bennifical. I am on the afirmitive of this allso. I think I can substantiate my part of this argument. We allso have a Sabath School which is well attended. Capt Mahanna is the Superintendent and L. A. Martin is one of our teachers. It is very interesting. We allso have a Good Templars lodge. I do not belong to it and of course can not tell you much about it. We have a Billiard room and two splendid Tables. In fact we have all all we could ask for to amuse ourselves with we allso have a good Library containing about two hundred volumes of very interesting works. We have a Sutlers store with a good stock of goods and things is as reasonable as we could expect to get them. We can get any thing we want as well without the mony as with it. It is entered on the books and taken from our wagges. Our quarters are very comfertable and convenient each room is eighteen feet square and is ocupied by sixteen men. There is a double Bunk in each corner which will accomodate four men two below and two above. We have all the blankets we need. Our rooms are cealed up in the inside with matched cedar which makes them as warm as if they was plastered. We have a good large stove in the centre of the room and plenty of good wood to burn. We allso have looking glasses combs brushes and all things needed to make ourselves look slick. We have good Boxes to keep our clothes in to keep them from the dust. We have wash Pans towells watter buckets brooms ash Pans showls pokers and a full kit of things to keep house with. We take our regular turns at keeping the room in order. Archie is on duity in the room to day and it looks as neat as a school marm. My clothes are all whole my socks have not got a hole in them yet. We have large army over coats now that we received since we came here. They are heavy cloth of a sky blue collor. They come down below the knee and have a large cape that comes down to the waist so we are warmly clothed. The weather has not been very cold since we came here the coldest it has been was down to twenty below zero. We have had no snow of any acount. We have about an inch of snow now and that is the most we have had. We get plenty to eat and more then we can eat. I have about a half a loaf of bread in my box now that I could not eat in the morning. We have Beefe or Pork Bread and Coffie. We have Beefe three days in the week and pork four days. When we have pork we have rice in our soupe when we have Beefe we have Beans. We have an excellent cook and our fare is allso good. On sabath days we have warm buiscut roast Beefe and Pie and molassas this is quite a treat to us but we all got it at home and thought nothing of it. Well we will learn to apreciate a good home when we get back. Several of Co. B have been promoted since we come here. Our second Seargent Trask has been promoted to Seargant. Major J. T. Crouse has the apointment of asistant Commissary. C. M. Bell is apointed overseer over the saw mill which is a splendid thing. It is the best mill I ever saw. It cost about $40,000. It is not in operation at pressent however there being no need of lumber at the post. The duty here is not very hard. Privates only comes on duty once in two weeks or once in fourteen days corprals comes on once in nine days and the Seargants once in twelve days. I am on duity to morrow my duty is not very hard however. I need not go out of the Guard house from morning till night only to go to my meals. I tell you a small petty Office is better than none, it exemps one from Guard duity which is quite an item I tell you. We get the mail here on Wednsdays and Saturdays, twice a week. I dont know as there is any thing more to tell you about my tramp to this place. I will give you a list of my room mates. It is this A. R. Cherry Seargant L. A. Martin Corprall J. M. Welling Corprall S. P. Hughes A. R. Clearman S. F. Adair R. F. Thompson W. T. Boyd W. A. McCaddon I. C. Jepson E. L. Pinney J. T. Crouse A. L. McNeil Alex Ruth Samuel and Wm. Waldron. Dont you think we have a good mess? I think so at least. They are all fine fellows I can tell you that. I received a letter from Tom Piney one from Amos Ross one from James Shaw and one from James and Dunwiddie. The mail came in to day but nothing for me. Amos Ross wrote that he was in the oil Business and was making money. He said he had cleared $2000 in eight days he bought it for $2.50 and sold it for $7.90

Martin: Rather cold but we are now within fourteen miles of the good old place Randall and although we were worn completely out, yet as we were so near there, our spirits were good and we stepped off very lightly and briskly, knowing that every step then counted. All we had to attract our attention this day were the Indians and their settlements. At about 11 o’clock we struck for the river to cross and would be but two miles from the place of our destination. We crossed and passed up the river on the south side and with anxious eyes did we look for the place called Randall. Our Commander had taken the stage a few days before and gone on ahead to prepare a place for us. Well as we came up in sight of the Fort before leaving the timber, the Commander met us and told us we might camp in the timber two days and nights until the regulars left. This was not very pleasing news to any of us. All had thrown their tentpins away and we had to make new ones. The weather was very cold and we were not allowed to go into the capitol Fort not one of us. And we were only a few rods from it. We, of course, had to do as ordered. We laid in camp until Saturday the 7th and went into quarters which we now occupy. Our fare while on the road was flour and water mixed in the shape of batter and baked in small fry pans, coffee and sugar, meat, not half enough, we get enough now but as for meat I eat none. After it is boiled and put on the table it can jump over the plate and turn a hand spring off the table on the floor. The meat is now better and everything at present is pretty good for a “soldier.” The boys often remarked on the road and often do so now that they will know how to appreciate a good meal of victuals, if ever they get home. Can’t say that I can, as it would be Indian bread and milk, as common but just as sly as you keep it, would give more for this than anything I have had since I left Iowa City except the New Year’s dinner I had by paying fifty cents.

Map so Far.png
                Bob Welch

Comment

December 6, 1861

Wieneke: Friday Dec 6th 61 this morning is verry nice again Clear & warm this afternoon I went into the fort [Randall] it is situated on a bott[om] the Seccond Bottom from the River on the west is a high Bluff the fort is on as good ground as can be wished for our quarters are good
                  Bob Welch

Comment

Wieneke: Sat Dec 7th 1861 Started into the fort at 12 oclock the Cooking Qrts are verry Dirty made Dinner by 4.30 boys all verry well satisfied recd 2 letters from home and am verry much relieved to hear that my family is all well. . . .
                    Bob Welch

Comment

Letter from S. N. Pierce to the Cedar Falls Gazette, written December 9, 1861 and published December 27, 1861

Correspondence of the Gazette

From Fort Randall.
                      Fort Randall, Dakota Territory,
                      December 9, 1861

Editors Gazette: - Well here we are, after a five weeks’ march, safely quartered at Fort Randall. You have doubtless heard that we got slightly fooled in regard to the steamboat arrangement from Council Bluffs. It certainly seemed to us something more than a joke, being taken one hundred miles out of our way, for the purpose of reaching a boat, and then obliged to march the entire distance, and when we reached the Bluffs, we found that there was no show for a boat there was considerable indignation among the soldiers, but they were “in for it” as the saying is, and after being delayed there for a couple of days, we picked up our traps and started on the 21st of November for Sioux City. As it happened, it was fortunate for us that we did not find a conveyance by water, for, on the day after we left the Bluffs, the weather became so cold and stormy that it would have been impossible to navigate the river, and, if we had the good fortune to escape a shipwreck , we should have been driven to the necessity of abandoning the boat, and make up a new overland train. We reached Sioux City on the 26th of November, having met with no remarkable incidents on the route, excepting the accidental meeting with “Steph. Brown,” at Little Sioux. The old residents of Cedar Falls well remember “Steph,” who flourished at the Falls in the old “Bachelor Club” days. He had been residing in this Territory for two or three years, and was on his way to Missouri, with the intention of joining the army.

On the 27th of November we left Sioux City, and started in high glee, upon the last division of our march, and arrived here about noon on the 5th of December. A portion of the trip was very trying, in consequence of very cold and stormy weather. We traveled one or two days in the face of a severe storm with the mercury ten degrees below zero, and this in a country where we did not see a human habitation from morning till night. This, to anything but soldiers would seem rather hard fare, but our men faced it bravely and got through without any more serious result than the frosting of a few unprotected ears and noses. I wish here, briefly, but plainly, to contradict some statements that have appeared in the Iowa papers concerning the treatment of the soldiers while on their way to this place. The most scandalous, and unjust articles that I have seen relating to this subject, appeared in one of the Des Moines papers, soon after we passed through that place. Where the editor of this paper got his information, I will not attempt to say, but this I do say, and without reservation, that the statements were then made which were entirely false. Among others was the statement that the soldiers were poorly clad and fed. I state what I know to be true, when I say that the soldiers thro’ the entire trip were well and bountifully fed, and that if any soldier did not have a plenty to eat it was not because it was not furnished by the Quartermaster. It is true that there were those who were constantly grumbling because the did not get enough to eat, but such persons are found in all companies, and these same persons would grumble if they had five times the usual amount furnished. I do not know of a soldier who has the appearance of having been well fed at home, but will testify that he had all he wanted to eat, and that often he could not eat his full ration. It was a common thing during the latter portion of our journey for the soldiers to weigh themselves, to see how much they had gained in flesh since they left home, and it was not an unusual thing to hear men boast of having gained twelve or fifteen pounds, and some as high as twenty. A very singular circumstance – men marching twenty miles a day, with nothing to eat, and at the same time gaining in flesh at the rate of fifteen pounds a month!

Another humbug which our Des Moines editor got up, was in regard to the clothing of the troops. In regard to this I will simply say, that the men were well clothed, and that nothing was deficient except the overcoats. These, Capt. Pattee endeavored to get but was put of with the idea that the coats were here at the Fort, and that the men must get along without them until they arrived here. The whole matter may be summed up in this, the editor (or his informant) owed Pattee some grudge, and got up these falsehoods for the purpose of injuring the commander of the battalion. But enough of this, and now a few words concerning Ft. Randall.

Fort Randall is in Dakota Territory and 140 miles from Sioux City. It is on the west side of the Missouri river, and about 80 rods from the shore. The post is not, properly speaking, a fort, but a garrison. The garrison proper is in the form of an oblong square. The distance around the parade ground, inside of the buildings, is one mile. At one end stands the residence of the command officer. On one side are the residences of the other officers, and on the opposite side the soldiers quarters. The parade grounds are probably as fine as can be found anywhere in the country. In the centre of the grounds is a fine liberty pole, from which floats the national flag. In the rear of the garrison buildings, are the Hospital, the buildings belonging to the commissary department, the buildings for mechanics, the stables, &c. In all, there are about one hundred buildings. The commanding officer’s house is very large and convenient, and cost ten thousand dollars. The houses of the other commissioned officers, are smaller, but are very comfortable and finished in good style. These houses contain from four to six rooms. They are ceiled up in the inside with red cedar, and are well provided with closets and cupboards, which are all made of cedar, nicely dressed and varnished. The quarters for the soldiers are very comfortable and convenient. The Hospital is the most creditable portion of the whole institution. This is a very fine building, and is arranged with peculiar reference to the convenience and comfort of its inmates. The greatest objection to it, is that it offers strong inducements to soldiers to get sick for the sake of getting into these nice quarters. The amount of Hospital stores here is enormous. There are now stores enough to supply it for ten years. Government property at this fort at the present time, is not short of a million dollars, although the regulars took a large amount away with them. A year ago there were 400 soldiers here, most of the officers were Southerners and when the war broke out “seceded.” – Nine commissioned officers have left here and joined the rebel army, and when we came here the only officer here were one Lieutenant and the surgeon, with about 90 soldiers.

It is supposed by some in the east that there is no small need of keeping troops here at Fort Randall. This is a great mistake, for it is an actual necessity as the settlers in the territory would not be safe one moment were it not for the troops here. There are several thousand Indians within twenty miles of this place, and the only thing that prevents their committing depredations among the white settlers is the fear of the terrible retribution which they know will be meted out to them unless they are peaceable. Several more men have joined our command since we came into the territory, for the express purpose of getting their families where they could be protected, and other citizens have told me that they should have left the Territory if these soldiers had not been sent here for their protection.

In conclusion let me say to our Cedar Falls friends that the boys from that place are all well and hearty, and I think there is not one who does not feel that he can spend the winter here contented and happy. We are in a very healthy climate, with good comfortable quarters, plenty to eat. What more could we ask? It is true, we are far separated from our friends, but will endeavor to content ourselves with the hope of a reunion at no very distant period. I will say also to our friends that there is a mail line from Cedar Falls to Fort Randall, and that I hear much fault found because it does not bring more letters. Will our friends investigate this subject and ascertain whether the fault lies with Uncle Sam?

Truly yours,
                      S. N. Pierce
                      Bob Welch

Comment

December 14, 1861
                        Letter from Lambert Martin

Fort Randall, Dakota, Ter.

December 14

Dear Brother:
                        [ . . . ] You have been informed of the fort and what it contains, etc., etc., in my letter to Father, but little is left for me to add, since we have been messed off sixteen in a room. Each mess has decorated their room as well as their limited means will allow, each person having a box or trunk which the Regular left. In our room, which is in the Aristocracy understand, is a table on one side of the room, a stand on the other a large box stands in the center of the room, a two-story bed Stead in each corner of the room, two windows to the front and between them sets our stand about which is one gilt-edged mirror 18” by 14, two shelves below filled with books and decorated with red fringe. At the right of the glass is a roster. Above this is a case telling the month, day of the week, and on entering the room you see before you on the opposite wal a notice which reads, “No spitting on the floor.” Our room has to be swept three times per day, and everything has to be kept in the most perfect order. Every straw is picked off our parade ground, which contains five acres. Every time we come out to drill, our boots shine black and buttons must glisten like gold and not a dirty spot is allowed on any of the clothing. Every one is as slick as Mr. Dobbs’ boy.
                        The weather is fine! Warm and pleasant and has been so ever since we arrived. But you may bet we had some hard weather when on the march, many of the boys freezing their ears, nozes, fingers, etc.
                        We arrived safely as last and are now in good quarters and enjoying ourselves best. Nothing to do but black our boots and receive $13.00 per month.
                        Your brother, as ever,
                        Lambert
                        Bob Welch

Comment

The holidays have thrown me for a loop, so I'm late on posting these accounts.

First, we have another letter from Lambert Martin.

Fort Randall, D. T.

January 26, 1862
                          Brother Bill and Others:

Your welcomed letter, of course, demands an answer and here goes: this you will receive not by way of baloon, but by mail, as usual. I’ll explain the baloon in which I intended to return is here at Randall: but the gas, which is required to make the Animal move, has been capitally escaping day by day until the canvas is full of emptiness.

Our Literary Societies are composed of members who are obliged to (like myself) meet and let the Gas escape to prevent an explosion, which would otherwise inevitably take place causing, perhaps, the annihilation of the fort, leaving us no shelter save the Canopy, which would be not so comfortable as our little tents we used on our march. We are now doing well. Reason because we have full bellies and nothing to do and $13.00 per month. Yes, and spend $20 per month at the Sutlers Store. Who wouldn’t be a soldier if he couldn’t get “Corporaliship”? “Corp. Martin.” Whoever heard sweeter words pronounced than these? With euphony, harmony, melody, etc.

Since the above has been written, I have eaten my supper after which went to “Prayer Meeting” and am now sitting up with out “Second Lt.” who is very sick with inflamation in the bowels. The weather has been for two or three days quite warm and pleasant, but today for the 1st, you may say, we have had no snow, and it is now snowing. But whether it will leave much, we cannot say. It seems that you have had sleighing some time and still where I am as far north, if not farther, than where you are, 43 degrees north at Fort Randall. Yesterday we could not find a speck of ground that had snow on it. The most singular winter I have ever saw without snow.
                          Aaron wrote me stating that they had good sleighing in Rockford, also good sleighing in Iowa City. By your letter I should judge that you have secured the fat necessary article for the harvest and hay field next summer. You will, Bill, have to boss the work another year, and, if I can get these war matters or mine straightened and regulated by next fall, I’ll be home – what for, not to work but simply to boss the thing and then, of course, you will be superseded and reduced to the ranks and perhaps receive some corporal punishment. I need not describe to you my occupation for you undoubtedly know something concerning military matters as well as myself. If you know, you will readily see that my office (though an inferior one) is one suited to my case. For it requires no labor when the capital Guard is mounted and relieved. I’m boss when on duty, such as hunting wood, drawing ice, and other things. I’m boss then and, unless I see fit, need to do nothing. And this I have to do once every two weeks when there being others who take their turn at this. But enough. I will close as this sheet is nearly covered. Give my regards to all friends and others.

Yours
                          L. A. M.

Next, we have another letter published in the Cedar Falls Gazette from the battalion surgeon.

Letter to the Cedar Falls Gazette, originally published February 21, 1862.
                          From Fort Randall.
                          Fort Randall, Dakota Territory,

January 27th, 1862.
                          Editors Gazette: - There is so little variety in our Fort Randall life, that there seems to be but little to write about that promises to be of much interest to the readers of your paper; and, in the absence of anything new or interesting concerning the troops here, I will attempt to give you a brief insight into the condition of Indian affairs in this region.

There are two Indian Agencies here. One is on the east side of the river, and is called “The Yanktown Agency.” The other is on the west side of the Mississippi, and is called “The Punkaw Agency.” The Indians belonging to the Yanktown Agency are a portion of the Sioux tribe. The Agency is situated upon the “Indian Reservation,” and all Indians who receive pay from the Government are expected to live upon this reserve and to be subject to the control of the Agent. I suppose the number of “natives” belonging to the Yanktown land is not far from three thousand, although they are of such a “roving” disposition that it is impossible to ascertain the exact number. When “pay-day” comes there is no scarcity of them, all being on hand, and many presenting themselves who are not seen at any other time. This band receives from “Uncle Samuel” sixty-five thousand dollars per annum. A portion of this they receive in gold, and the remainder in clothing and provisions. I believe it is one of the objects of these Agencies to endeavor to civilize the Indians, to some extent, and get them interested in farming and such other pursuits as generally occupy the minds of civilized beings. But, so far as my observation goes, this attempt has thus far proved almost an entire failure, and I am forced to the conclusion that “Injins” will be “Injins” under whatever circumstances you may put them. A very few of them have been induced to cultivate small patches of ground, with the view of raising something to subsist upon, but a large proportion of them seem to be proof against all attempts toward civilization, and still retain all the wild traits so peculiar to the North American Indian. The men seem to consider themselves entirely too good to do any manner of work, and such labor as becomes absolutely necessary for their existence, is performed by the squaws. The Indian here, like other Indians, make perfect slaves of their squaws, and appear to think that the Almighty created woman simply for two purposes: one, to perpetuate the race; and the other, to perform the drudgery of the men. If I might have the privilege of “moralizing” here a little, I would say that I think this annuity business is, so far as the interests of the Indian are concerned, pretty much of a humbug. The $65,000 which the Yanktowns receive annually from the Government, is paid to them in semi-annual payments, so that they receive one-half of this amount once in six months. Now, an Indian has no idea of the value of money, or property of any kind, except so far as it tends to his present gratification. In other words, Indians have not sufficient forethought to save to-day in order that he may have something for to-morrow; and the result of this folly is, that one month has not passed, after they receive their payment, before everything is gone, and they find themselves in a miserable, starving condition. The Indians about these Agencies get an idea get an idea that the pay which they get from the Government is sufficient for their support, and for this reason they will not raise a finger to support themselves until they are upon the very verge of starvation. While the Indians living one hundred miles west of here are daily feasting themselves upon deer and buffalo, which abound in that region, the Yanktowns are lounging about the Agency here, freezing and starving.

For some reason the “Great Father” has not given the Yanktowns their full share of annuity for the passed year, and there is much dissatisfaction among them on this account. Last September the Agent (Mr. Burley) had considerable trouble with them. The Indians demanded of the Agent some powder which he had in his possession, and, upon his refusing to deliver it up, they proceeded to take forcible possession of it. They then piled straw about the Agency buildings and threatened to burn them to the ground. – The Agent sent a message here for aid, and the Commander, taking a body of troops, went to his relief. Upon the approach of the soldiers the Indians dispersed. Since then there has been no serious trouble, although there is a constant grumbling and expression of dissatisfaction. Some of the “braves” are here nearly every day to see Capt. Pattee, representing their families as being in a starving condition, and asking his aid in getting provisions. How far Capt. P. has it in his power to assist them I do not know, but am sure he will do all he can towards relieving them. They have taken quite a fancy to the Captain, for they say “he promises nothing that he cannot fulfill.” Indians are very “matter of fact” beings, and will not bear trifling with in the least, and it is much better to deny them a favor at once, than to make promises and fail to fulfill them.

For some reason the “Punkaw [Ponca] Agency” seems to be in better condition than that of the Yanktown. They have received their annuity in full, and appear to be very amicable. They are much more tractable than the Siouxs, and not as jealous and suspicious in their dispositions. Major Hoffman (their Agent) has a military company composed entirely of Indians. Government furnishes them with arms and uniforms, and when on “dress parade” they make a fine appearance. They pride themselves very much upon their military attainments.

Dr. Burley (the Agent for the Yanktowns) is now at Washington for the purpose of getting money for his Indians, and the Indians are very impatient for his return. “Smutty Bear,” (one of the Chiefs) called upon the Commander of the Fort, a few days since, and informed him that when the Agent returned he should expect $45,000, and intimated that there would be trouble unless the money was forthcoming.

The executive power among the Yanktowns is vested in one head Chief and six sub-Chiefs. The Chiefs, as well as all other noted characters among the Indians, receive their names from some peculiarity of the individual, or from some important circumstance connected with their early history. The result of this system of nomenclature is that the names are often much more significant than poetical. – For instance: the name of the Chief of the Yanktowns is, “Struck by the Rea;” the first sub-Chief is, “Smutty Bear;” the second, “Medicine Cow;” the third, “White Swan;” the fourth, “Mad Bull;” the fifth, “Feather in the Ear;” and the sixth, “Lone Iron Hair.”

In my next communication I shall give some further account of the peculiar customs of the “Red Men,” together with a few hints concerning the character of the country here as regards climate, soil, &c.

S. N. Pierce
                          Bob Welch

Comment

Catching up for posts I've missed.

From a letter signed "W. A. M." published in the Iowa City Gazette, January 22, 1862.

Fort Randall
                            December 28, 1861

... We arrived here about three weeks ago; in good health and fine spirits. We had a pretty hard march of it, I tell you; but after all our trials, and troubles, we have at last reached our place of destination, and found everything in much better order than we expected. We have just as good and comfortable quarters as any of us could wish. We have had splendid weather in our corner of the world, until within the last few days when it turned in very cold and stormy. How did you all spend Christmas at home?
                            I expect you had line times; for my part I stood guard all day but had a splendid dinner that one of the citizens prepared expressly for our mess. You wished to know what kind of a place we sleep in and what we have to eat and also how we get our washing done. In the first place I will tell you how we sleep. We have large comfortable mess rooms with bunks in each one, to accommodate 16 men. We have plenty of bed clothing, a large stove and plenty of wood to each room. I will just give you our bill of fare and you can judge for yourself as to whether we have enough to eat or not. — We have plenty of bread, coffee, beef, bacon, beans, rice, soup, &c. We are allowed fresh beef only two days in a week, and the rest of the time have bacon that I think was killed when Adam was a boy; it has actually been killed so long that its day of resurrection has come and it is all coming to life again. Some of it is able to crawl now. I expect we will have it to butcher over again before it is all used up, as we have about twenty tons of it yet. There are about 20 of the regulars* wives here to wash for us besides the women that came along with us. The regulars left here the day after we arrived, their families will probably stay here ’till next summer.

We have organized a debating society and have fine times. We also have a sabbath school and Good Templar’s association. Capt. Mahanna is superintendent of the Sunday School. We also have a theatre once a month. There is a large theatre hall here large enough to seat four hundred persons; it is fitted up in style, with a splendid set of scenery. We have good times here if we are away out in the world, but it would be considerable better if there were about 500 girls here. They are a very scarce article about these diggings. There is any number of the true American ladies here but they don’t exactly suit my style. There are about fifteen hundred of the red devils about the country here, and about two hundred hanging around the fort all the time. They are the dirtiest, laziest, lousiest, set of creatures I ever saw; I dont see how they live at all. There is no game around here for them to kill. I believe they just live on what little they get around the fort.
                            Mr. Bliss has opened a daguerrean gallery here, and intends taking some pictures of the fort as soon as the weather becomes pleasant so that he can go out.”
                            W. A. M.

Two letters from Lambert Martin.
                            Fort Randall
                            December 29, 1861

Dear Parents:
                            This is not an answer to any of yours for I have answered all before: but thinking you would like to know how Randall was getting along, thought this is a good opportunity of telling you. Everything is quiet (except the boys in their rooms who are full of jokes and fun). Christmas was a jolly day to “Randall” and “New Year’s” I except will be the same. Officers give the boys liberty on these days. Also deal out whisky to them. Many of them, like myself, of course, do not take there, I might inform you! And to prove my previous saying true that I am a “Good Templar,” nothing new with me has been one some time. There are about fifty of these class among us at “Randall.”

The weather is quite warm for winter. No snow yet, presume you have snow with you ere this.[ . . . ]

The boys here, many of them, are anxious to leave for the south in the spring. I can’t say that I am or am not. Just as leave go as stay, though I think “Dakota Territory” is furnishing at present 116 soldiers union to be obtained at this place. Account of this was saw in the Dakota Paper and that they would be here in two or three weeks. What day it is with you I almost forgot. Today is Sunday. Sundays we have a Sunday school, or rather a Bible Class; Thursday eves a Lyceum. The Commissioned officers of our Battalion are all taking part in it. A very interesting one. It is now, I do say it, some of L. A. Martin’s most eloquent speeches have been delivered at or before this society. Perhaps you think not well and, if I did do pretty well at the Fitch’s Point Lyceum, must say I’ze just fooling them. They told me you know how if I once broke the ice. We did get in well. I ought to have knowed it in the begning.

Enough for this time. I shall adopt a rule shortly, to write only when I receive one and see if you won’t em on. How are all the people? James L. Martin especially. Give my kind regards to all.

Your son, as ever,
                            L. A. Martin

Fort Randall
                            Dakota Territory
                            January 4, 1862

Dear Brother:

[. . .] You must not imagine us to be very rude. Although we have no church to attend on Sunday, yet we have a “Bible Class” or “Sunday School” and Prayer Meeting, so you must not judge us as roughly. I have written you before of this institution but had forgotten until now. Well, let it go. Our Lyceum flourishes finely. It seems that we are destined to stay here during the War. The last mail brought news from Governor Kirkwood’s private secretary that we are to be detached from the 14th Iowa Regiment and other men are to fill it while we are to garrison the fort. If such be the case, there will be a slight change among some of the officers, as we are to elect a major and some others. The Captain of our Company will undoubtedly be elected and his place will be filled by some of the “Lieutenants.”

I have drawn as well as possible the ground the fort stands on. I have also drawn a building the same as the rest. The one which I drew meant to represent the building which myself and others occupy. Room#1 is the identical one. The buildings are all proportioned about the same as this one I have drawn. About those grays, drive them just as much as you have a mind to. Wouldn’t you laugh if I should be home before my time is out? I can get a furlough of two or three months if I choose to take a trip east, but the worst of it is, two-hanged fire, we have received no money yet; don’t know whether we will get any before spring. We can get trusted at the store for anything we want except stamps. They don’t fool me on them, you know, for I keep a pocketful by me. I’ve got more in my pocket than there are in the post office, for they have none while I have a few. We have very little snow. The weather very moderate. Indians quiet. Good for them, too, that they are. England. How is she? Mad no doubt. Let her pitch in. We’ll shut her up. If she does pitch in, I don’t want to be here for I can’t do anything. I’ll go east to rouse you in old Salem and put you through some of “hardee.” You will have to come of it. Hart will have to get his torch and trade it for a musket, which he ought to have done a year ago. Yes, and many others like him, too, should do this. [. . .]

Lambert Martin, your affectionate brother.
                            Bob Welch

Comment

January 18, 1862

Fort Randall, D. T.

January 18, 1862

Dear Parents:

Although I have not received a letter since I have written you, yet I’ll write you that you may know that all is right and, as you may think that I receive more from “your honors,” let this be as it may. Whether it is to get a slight relief of Homesickness is to be debated on.

Enough of this. I’ll now proceed to business! Which is just about the same as usual, all enjoying good health and are in good Spirits. I wish I had the time to write you some of the jokes and riggs on the boys which is the only steady employment we have when not engaged in “military discipline.” Need I tell you that L. A. Martin has any part in this? You know me, don’t you? Before I forget it, I’ll ask you what you think of what has been written you concerning our fare and treatment while on the march? You may think it was hard; well, I’ll bet it was, but hold on, here comes three cheers and hearty ones, too. Why? Because Capt. James P[attee], the rascal, is to be superseded. It seems that Dakota Territory has raised one or two companies of Infantry and the Governor of Dakota has appointed a Major to command this fort. I should have told you before that these companies are coming to reinforce us at this Garrison and will be here in a few days. I forget the name of the person who is to be commander, but the name, it matters not what it may be, if the person bearing it is a person who will show respect to his fellow soldiers and work for the interest of his Country. After a trial, we can inform you what he is and is he not qualified or does he fail in any particular he can be hoisted overboard.

If Capt. Mahana, the capt. of Co. B., could be placed in this position, I would with the rest of the boys rejoice. You may bet. Perhaps you would like to know what we are to have for dinner. We are to have bread and biscuit, roast beef, soup, coffee, pork, etc. We have changed cooks and we are now living well. The weather is cold. The thermometer 10 degrees below. No snow. Whoever heard of the like? The 19th of January and no snow. Dare say, you have had many sleighrides ere this.

[. . .] In order to write a line or two to Aaron, I must close as the mail goes out at 10 o’clock this eve. And I’m on duty today, being Corporal of the Guard and have to write between the leaps, which are every two hours, not having to stand guard myself. “Whoever heard of a corporal standing guard?” Give my regards to all who may inquire after me and remember me, as ever, your obedient son, Lambert A. Martin.
                              Bob Welch

Comment

[Letter signed A. R. C. [Amos R. Cherry], in the Iowa City State Press, Feb. 19, 1862]

Fort Randall,
                                Feb. 5, 1862.

MR. editor: As I was a resident of Iowa City and acquainted with many in that place and vicinity, and was an occasional reader of your paper, perhaps a few lines from me would not be out of place, for the greater portion of our company is from Iowa City or from Johnson county. . . . The soldiers in Ft. Randall have written a great many communications for the Republican but for some cause they are not published. Mr. Republican, why is this? But I think I can answer the question, and save the precious time of the ones that run that party -machine.[1] The soldiers here being Union men, uttering their true sentiments, irrespective of party, perhaps did not suit the style of that partizan sheet. Perhaps their letters censured some of their party friends who are in position in the battalion, and if they did so, I have no doubt but they gave a truthful representation of affairs here, and of our usage and misusage on the march to this place. . . .

We arrived here on Dec. 5th, very much worn down by our long march; remained in camp two days outside the garrison to give the regulars time to get moved out of the quarters; took possession on the 7th; and we had almost forgotten how to keep house after living so long in tents. All the trouble we had was how to occupy all the room. Having been so long accustomed to sleeping four deep and mixing up so thick in our six by seven mansions, it seemed very odd to us to spread out and live like white men once more. The quarters here are excellent, and provided with plenty to eat, which is cooked up in fine style by our friend, and accommodating cook, Julius Winekie [sic]. The members of Co. B are all well; not a man on the sick list from our company; and we are having very easy times during the cold weather. Since it became so severe, we have not drilled much; in fact not at all out of doors, but four hours each day in our rooms. Co. B is well drilled in the manual of arms, and I think not inferior to any company that ever left Iowa City for the war. We have been drilling some in the skirmish drill, since we came here. This is fine exercise and the men take a deep interest in it, and of course learn very fast indeed.

And now a word concerning our officers. Capt. Mahanna is well and looks finely. He is the best captain that ever had the command of a company of brave men; beloved by every man in his company. Whenever we parade for inspection or drill, he has some good advice and counsel to give us, and I assure you it is taken and acted upon by the men. I often heard it said by men in Iowa City that they would never go to Ft. Randall with him, and that they had no confidence in him as a military man, and many other unpleasant remarks were made concerning him, which were all gross misrepresentations. He exercises no unnecessary authority over his men, and only such as a father exercises over his children; for their good and comfort seems to be his whole study and aim. And if he has not the confidence of the cowardly stay-at-homes in Iowa City, who are jealous of him in his proud position, he certainly has both the respect and confidence of the men he has the honor to command; and if his enemies have anything to say disrespectful of him before any member of this company, it will be resented as soon as if it was concerning ourselves.

Lieut. Luse is one of the best officers in the battalion, universally respected by the whole command. I often heard it remarked before we left, that he would be very nice until we were in his power and then he would show us the cloven foot. This was the most unjust remark that ever was made concerning a decent man. Lieut. Luse is one of the best fellows I ever knew; courteous and pleasant in his manner of addressing the men when off duty, and when he gives the command, “Attention Company ” it seems to be a pleasure to the men to obey his orders.

Lieut. Schell is young but an accomplished officer and brave soldier, and even to his seniors in rank, an example, and beloved by all. We are in hopes of being removed from here and sent South in the spring to join our comrades in arms who are with the devoted and true of the Northwest. Not but we are contented and comfortable in this our Fort Randall home, and well satisfied to remain, as far as comfort and ease are concerned, but this is not the height of our ambition. We are anxious to take an active part in this struggle for national existence, and distinguish ourselves for something more than masterly inactivity, that the name of this battalion may be recorded upon the pages of our country’s history as one that acted well its part in maintaining our country's rights and restoring peace and harmony to its now torn and distracted States.

We are having trouble with a man from this Territory by the name of Lyman[2], who came here on the 3d and reported himself to the sergeant of the guard as the commander of the post. He notified Capt. Pattee on the morning of the 4th that he would take command in the morning at guard mounting, but Pattee did not feel disposed to give up his position, until this new man produced satisfactory evidence that he was entitled to the command, which it seems he has not done. He has issued several orders but none of them are executed as we consider ourselves subject only to the orders of Capt. John Pattee. Last night, Lyman issued an order that there would be no dress parade that night. Capt. Pattee gave an order for dress parade, and of course, we obeyed, and appeared to receive the orders of John Pattee, Captain commanding the post. Pattee is now under arrest for not obeying the instructions of this new comer, and Pattee has issued an order notifying this gentleman that he must leave the garrison within 24 hours, or he would place him under arrest. To-day Capt. Mahanna of Co. B and Capt Wolf of Co. C had a conversation with Lyman, and they appear to feel satisfied that this man's papers are all right and that he is entitled to the command. They say Mr. Lyman treated them with a great deal of respect and expressed his regret that anything of the kind happened. Perhaps he has been misrepresented and I will not judge him too harshly, until I am assured that he deserves it.

We have been favored with a visit from our red brethren, about sixty in number, who were on their way to their great buffalo hunt and wished to get some eatables. Pattee issued out to them two barrels of pork, three barrels of crackers, some tobacco, and three buckets of sugar, with which they seemed well pleased. They say Pattee is the best man that ever was in command here, and they are, of course, his fast friends.

Respectfully yours,
                                A. R. C.

P.S. Since writing the above, I have been informed by Capt. Mahanna that he and Capt. Wolf of Co. C had become satisfied that Major Lyman’s papers were correct, and entitled him to the command of the post, and Mahanna and Wolf notified Pattee that they should report to Lyman for orders; and at the same time told him that they thought he had better submit; but he obstinately refused to do so, saying that he should hold command at all hazards. He also told Mahanna that if he reported to Lyman he would have him under arrest. Lyman also said [that if] they refused to execute his orders he would arrest them. This was placing our Captain in an unpleasant position, but I think our Captain and Capt. Wolf have acted the wise part. We are now under the command and subject to the orders of Major Lyman and received his orders tonight on parade, so you will see we are in a critical position. Pattee is ordered under arrest in his quarters by Major Lyman.

A. R. C.

[1] This reflects the party animus of the times. The Iowa City "Press was a Democratic paper, the Iowa City "Republican, naturally, Republican. It is very possible that letters written to the Republican, criticizing officers who may have been prominent Republicans, would not have been published by the organ of that party. Likewise, the Press would probably have suppressed letters attacking Democratic officers.

[2] William P. Lyman was "major” of the Dakota Volunteer Cavalry which consisted of only one company. When he presented his papers to Pattee" and stated that he had been appointed to take over command at Fort Randall, Pattee refused to honor his commission, which was so full of erasures and interlinings as to be unintelligible. Also, as Pattee explains, no one could be appointed a major of less than two companies. Lyman succeeded in taking over the post, however, and placing Pattee under arrest. Pattee at once communicated with his brother-in-law, Governor Kirkwood of Iowa, and with Senator James Harlan. The War Department examined the case and at once relieved Lyman, who left the fort, turning over command to Capt Mahana of Co. B rather than to Pattee, who remained under arrest until word came from Kirkwood and Harlan that he was to be restored to command. The whole incident is an instance of local Dakota politics, coupled with the animosity between Mahana and Pattee. For Pattee's account, see Pattee, "Dakota Campaigns,” 278-82.
                                Bob Welch

Comment

Working...
                                X