Recon III Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recon III Feedback

Anyone back from Recon III? Just curious as how the rest of it turned out. I left on Friday because of personal disappointments that I will not get into out of respect, but what did the rest of you think?
    Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Re: Recon III Feedback

Hello,

My unit was the 14th TN sharpshooters battalion company H (Iron Grey Mess). I thought the event was a great success! It was one of the most authentic events I have been too because of the battle scenaros my company was put into. From standing on picket from 6pm-2:00am on Friday to the last battle on Sunday morning, was very well done and came out great. I think this will be one of the highlights of the year for me. This is just my opinion on the event though. Let me know what you Federals thought of it and the rest of yall.
    Ryan Stull
    37th NC Co B
    stull6@charter.net

Comment

Ryan,
      I was out there with ya on grand guard. I enjoyed that, that's part of livin it, even though the yanks never showed a sign of movement. One of the things that got me was the lack of enforcement on the guidelines, especially uniforms. I do not recall your face, so please don't take that personally, I just expected more. I think the event was built up to more than it actually turned out to be. Glad you had a good time though.
      Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Jim, with all due respect, how can you judge an event when you left, essentially before it started?
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

I thought it was a great event, the best I've ever been to, but I expected a more detailed inspection. Some things that got in were definently not appropriate. Apart from that, as a whole, almost all of the uniforms in the 14th Tenn. were great. The battles were well worked out. [to all the union cavalrymen ,I give a hats off to you on the flanking charge on sunday.]All in All, I think the event worked out well, especially on the confederate side.
          Ian Broadhead
          Liberty Rifles
          " Lee's Miserables"

Comment

I agree with the fact that the battle scenarios are some of the most realistic situations I have aver been in,especially Saturday morning when we were all fighting in the "wilderness".

Were any of you Federals in the color guard and in the skirmish line Sunday morning an hour before the final Confederate attack? My company was the one in the trees at a stalemate with yall.
            Ryan Stull
            37th NC Co B
            stull6@charter.net

Comment

Originally posted by dusty27
              Jim, with all due respect, how can you judge an event when you left, essentially before it started?
              Good point Dusty, but I was just a little let down by what got past the registration desk. I saw some discouraging things about some people that don't belong at an authentic event. I'm sure the battle sequences were great, good ground to fight on. Chris Anders was more than hispitable and made a great gesture by introducing himslef and making me feel welcome. I do not wish to bash the event, I just expected a little better turn out of admirable impressions.
              Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

My sons arrived home filthy, exhausted, and grinning ear-to-ear. What more could a mother ask?

They talked of wading through brambles and mud, three of them maneuvering within a few feet of the Federals at dusk, building breastworks, marching through the woods this morning, and fighting in the open field. What more could young men ask?

Thanks to all who made it happen,

Comment

Originally posted by texandrummer61
                  I thought it was a great event, the best I've ever been to, but I expected a more detailed inspection. Some things that got in were definently not appropriate. Apart from that, as a whole, almost all of the uniforms in the 14th Tenn. were great. The battles were well worked out. [to all the union cavalrymen ,I give a hats off to you on the flanking charge on sunday.]All in All, I think the event worked out well, especially on the confederate side.
                  Ian,
                  As one of those Union cavalrymen I want to thank you for your salutations.

I am just back in CT from the drive, but it was certainly worth the effort to be there. We had plenty of ground to cover, and plenty to do...an oh yeah in between times we got to charge at you fellas to stave off your attack. It was a great time and I look forward to hearing other folks impressions of what went on!

Take care,
                  Tom Craig
                  formerly 1st Sgt. 8th PA Cavalry
                  Tom Craig

Comment

Jim, I'm sorry that you let the impressions of some cause you to leave an event. I can assure you that the majority of impressions in the 13th Alabama were above average, in my opinion. I felt the event went well both logistically and tactically.

I personally concentrated on how I was going to feed myself, my duties in the battalion, and what was happening in the field during engagements. I wasn't really concentrating on what the others were wearing.

Friday night was beautiful, Saturday night was miserable, and Sunday's engagement was great, with proper spacing between skirmishers, their reserve and the two battalions behind.

I was sweaty, filthy, tired, hungry and busy. Sounds like the boys during the war to me......
                    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

Comment

Jim, I'm sorry that you let the impressions of some cause you to leave an event. I can assure you that the majority of impressions in the 13th Alabama were above average, in my opinion. I felt the event went well both logistically and tactically.

I personally concentrated on how I was going to feed myself, my duties in the battalion, and what was happening in the field during engagements. I wasn't really concentrating on what the others were wearing.

Friday night was beautiful, Saturday night was miserable, and Sunday's engagement was great, with proper spacing between skirmishers, their reserve and the two battalions behind.

I was sweaty, filthy, tired, hungry and busy. Sounds like the boys during the war to me......
                      You got me. I agree with what you are saying and am now embarrassed that I said anything. It does sound absurd that I took others' impressions that way. I just felt let down because I had such a wonderful envision of how things would look and maybe expected too much. But what more could I ask for? Everyone else seemed to have a grand time.
                      Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

I was with Co B of the 7th Maine and I saw great impressions on the Yankee side. I am tired here so this will be short, but, from Friday night on with me on Guard duty, almost no sleep, falling in with the Battalion as they came marching by at 6am. Then we fought all day in great scenerios till it was almost dark. Falling out to camp in the pouring rain in a cedar grove that ended up being one of the longest nights of my life. Falling back in in the dark scrambling to get our equipment on for another great fight. I thought this weekend was one of the better campaigns here in the East. Of course, your opinion may differ......
                        John Barr
                        2nd Delaware

Comment

Jim, please don't be embarrassed. I have found that there are no "perfect" events. Some of the best events I have attended are ones where you look outside of what you are actually doing and thinking about the boys of '61-'65 who did this day in and day out, with the added stress of live ammunition.

Walking the muddy trails this weekend gave me a new appreciation for those boys who frequently walked 20 - 25 miles where we only marched 2 - 3 miles all weekend. It is these moments that I enjoy most in this hobby.

BTW, Jim, if that was you with you son at registration on Friday, I was the guy in the frock coat who asked if you knew which battalion you were with:wink_smil
                          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Comment

Jim,

If some of the impressions were not what you expected, I can understand your disappointment. However, I'd like to explore whether there needs to be a distinction made between your expectations and the event guidelines. They are still up at www.cwlhi.org, and if you could tell me what slipped through, I'd appreciate it.

There's no hostility here, we sure aren't perfect. But I'd thought we did a much better job this time than either of the previous events. We even got help from participants, who warned us twice that something odd was coming down the line and would shortly be in front of us.

Thanks

Bill Watson
                            Bill Watson
                            Stroudsburg

Comment

Jim, please don't be embarrassed. I have found that there are no "perfect" events. Some of the best events I have attended are ones where you look outside of what you are actually doing and thinking about the boys of '61-'65 who did this day in and day out, with the added stress of live ammunition.

Walking the muddy trails this weekend gave me a new appreciation for those boys who frequently walked 20 - 25 miles where we only marched 2 - 3 miles all weekend. It is these moments that I enjoy most in this hobby.

BTW, Jim, if that was you with you son at registration on Friday, I was the guy in the frock coat who asked if you knew which battalion you were with:wink_smil
                              You make great points. I really felt some of that when I was on grand guard for 6 hours Friday. I was thinking of Sam Watkins when I was on guard in the dark. He said, about standing pickett on the Potomac, "I was peering through the darkness, my eyes suddenly fell upon the outlines of a man. The more I looked the more I was convinced that it was a Yankee picket. I could see his hat and coat-yes, see his gun. I was sure that it was a Yankee picket. What was I to do? The relief was several hundered yards in the rear. The more I looked the more sure I was. At last a cold sweat broke out all over my body. Turkey bumps rose. I summoned all the nerves and bravery that I could command, and said: "Halt! who goes there?" There being no repsonse, I became resolute. I did not wish to fire and arouse the camp, but I marched right up to it and stuck my bayonet through and through it. It was a stump." I thought of that after night fell and the trees began to appear like Yanks. I really did enjoy the LONG, agonizing duty of grand guard. That's livin it!
                              Dusty, that was Dad and I that you addressed, sorry I did not recognize you.
                              Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Working...
                              X