X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recon III Feedback

Originally posted by billwatson
    Jim,

If some of the impressions were not what you expected, I can understand your disappointment. However, I'd like to explore whether there needs to be a distinction made between your expectations and the event guidelines. They are still up at www.cwlhi.org, and if you could tell me what slipped through, I'd appreciate it.

There's no hostility here, we sure aren't perfect. But I'd thought we did a much better job this time than either of the previous events. We even got help from participants, who warned us twice that something odd was coming down the line and would shortly be in front of us.

Thanks

Bill Watson
    Mr. watson,
    I do not blame the organizers at all. That was the first Recon event I attended, or visited. Chris Anders was very welcoming and I'm glad I got a chance to meet a few folks. I suppose I'm just a stickler when it comes to gear. I don't have the best impression by any means. But, some of the construction of garments and some of the garments themselves were just a little wacky. I saw good impressions, no terrible, but some that I was skeptical about. I do not claim to be an authority, but a few items stuck out as being off the path. One example, jackets. Jackets were to follow Richmond type 2 or 3 patterns. I spotted quite a few that were of improper material or simply didn't follow Richmond patterns. I do not wish to pick apart this piece by piece and do not wish to grant open season on myself. Please understand, this was just my opinion and I am not trying to be an unfair a--hole.
    Last edited by JimConley; 05-02-2004, 10:23 PM.
    Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Remember, "He who expects nothing will never be disappointed." Go into events expecting the worst, then you'll be delighted to find even "pretty good" conditions. I have loved every event I've ever gone to since my first Memorial Day Parade in May 1997 because I don't expect anything from the event. I am there to make a contribution, and am there on my own time and own free will. I've had my bad weather blues and why-don't-they-take-hits worries, but hey, life is short.

........Anyway, how was the weather down there guys? I take it there was some rain at some point? I was thinking about the event this weekend and wondering how it was going. I'm here at Penn State going into finals week :confused_ so obviously I couldn't make it. If cool events were 2 or 3 weeks into May, more of us college guys could make it!
      Last edited by PieBoy96; 05-03-2004, 05:34 AM.
      Paul Boccadoro
      Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Ramblings of a first time RECON attendee....

"My men follow me out of curiosity." - Captain Chris Peiring, Co. A, 7th Maine recreated.

The drive from home took about 3 hours. The turns to the site from route 29 were clearly marked. I arrived at registration at 1240pm and, checked in with Bill Watson as to exactly what I was to do. As instructed I dawned my kit, went through the signing of the waver form, had my name checked off the registrant list, was issued a "casualty card" (skulker, can you believe that!), and was inspected just like everyone who passed through was. Registration/inspection was quick and painless. There was plenty of help. After you signed your waver form you stepped to the right or left depending on you affiliation for a musket safety and kit inspection. All Federals were required to open their knapsacks and haversacks, which we inspected for anachronisms and alcohol. Now, not knowing much about the common Reb kit, I will have only one short comment to follow. However, I was really surprised at the overall quality of the Federal kits. Now, I was at registration from 1ish to around 10 pm. Here's a list of all others and I saw and had to be corrected before entrance was allowed: 4 or 5 what I would call sutler row quality fed forage caps. But, all had correctly shaped brims, either flat or curled upward. 1 SNY belt buckle. Two plastic containers of percussion caps that were corrected by placing the caps in cap boxes and poke bags. Two side knives, which were removed. Two Rebs with shitty hat blanks and one with a WW2 British canteen. Those three were all corrected by visits to Jersey Joe or Chris Daly. One musket with a non-functioning half cock. That fellow went to his car and pulled out another musket.

Oh, numbers. I specifically counted Fed/Reb names crossed off at registration just before it got too dark to see. 140 Fed, 240 Reb. There were 14-mounted Cavalry on each side. Coly's boys are everything I had herd about them. And one of his boys broke his wrist Friday evening when his horse threw him. Event staff was well prepared for any emergency and help was there quickly. Federal Cavalry was first rate.

Now from registration you would, drop your crap and take you car to the parking area which, was about 2 miles away, then shuttle back to registration, followed by, a shuttle ride of 1.5 miles and then walk another mile to your camp if you were Federal or walking about .75 miles to the Confederate camp from registration. The shuttles were consistently running up to the time I left registration and headed off to find Company A. This company was a combination of PL members and 9 great guys who drove all of the way from Minnesota, 26 hours, for this event.

Edited by moderator for inappropriate contect. JS Mod.

Now understand, at this point I can tell you nothing of the Confederates besides I saw many through the sights of my musket. I was shuttled to the Federal drop off along with another of the folks who was helping at registration. Being instructed to "go down that road and you'll find it." About three quarters of a mile later we hit the picket line. Major Harry explained whom we were and we were allowed to pass. About 200 yards later we hit the camp guard, just before battalion HQ. It took a while to get past the zealous private on guard but entry was obtained. Major Harry and the other private stayed at Battalion. I was told, "The Union camps are that way." So, cresting the hill, I saw campfires so I walked on into...the Union Cavalry camp. I asked for directions. Some pogue private points and says, "They're over that way, through that break in the trees." Having been stupid enough to listen to a cavalry private I walked through the break in the trees, directly into a swamp with calf deep water. I backed out, turned right at the tree line and followed it directly to the guard relief who directed me to my company.

Rations had been distributed to the companies before my arrival. All of the bacon was cooked! Yes, in the dark! Basic stuff. 7 crackers, sugar, ground coffee and bacon. Orderly sergeant Greeves formed us after their distribution and took roll by candle light. Our company had 23 members plus two officers. Friday night was great sleeping. Clear moonlight night. I slept on my shelter half covered by my gum blanket.

Edited by moderator for inappropriate contect. JS Mod.

Saturday reveille was at 0500. No big deal. I awoke to find the only modern intrusion I could see was a telephone line, which ran along the wood line. And, that was about it until we marched back to registration today. All members now present the company was properly formed, NCOs were placed. I was 2nd Corporal, left of the line, beside the 2nd Sergeant.

The Saturday and Sunday taticals, it seemed to me had some general pre scripting. Which would make perfect sense. Two times Saturday we attacked fixed positions through the un-godliest wooded ground I have ever come across. The third we attacked and flanked a Reb picket line. Through the same jungle. Every plant, tree, vine, root, and hole was hostile. As a matter of fact, the crap ate my boiler and much of my skin. Command both days was pretty darned good. Right down to the company level. 90% of the men in the ranks had good knowledge of maneuver and the other 10% had a least a clue. For some reason, company A was always first. All weekend first. The only way you could move through that bullstuff was in a skirmish line. Then half the time you couldn't see your comrades in arms. Guess what happens to a skirmish line when it hits a fixed position? However, there was no way, let me repeat that, no way you could have moved blocks of men through that mess. I got a good Idea what the boys of 64' encountered in the Wilderness. We lost 2 of our company here due to illness. A father son combo. The boy had the flux and was crampy. Common sense prevailed and Dad took him home. That would be the only attrition suffered by our company all weekend. Sunday we defended a ford from a raised position.

"So, "Wrong Way," you ran from the Rebs to avoid being captured and it took you an hour to find us, right?"

Comments here. Water was plentiful. I gotta say those lister bags were anywhere you needed water and nicely hidden. The system devised to "give" casualties was a good one. And, as the weekend progressed was modified to become more realistic. What I mean by that is, it seemed to me, the Rebs refused to take hits. That got fixed. And, that was defiantly a credit to the event staff. Rest was planned between fights and marches. Every effort was made to keep everyone in good health. Saturday it had to be in the 80's and the humidity was high. I'd have to say over the weekend, including marches we did around 10 miles. There's been an abundance of rain around Brandy Station. Most of the roads we walked were "shoe mouth deep" mud.

"Now you are to be known as "Corporal Capture.""

Yes! It rained all night on Saturday. Nothing painful just a 9 hour shower. Now remember, at this point our camp has moved but, is still about 4 miles from your car. So, you don't like to sleep in the rain. How do you feel about walking a long way in the rain with your kit? I'd guess about 15 guys from other companies picked the walk. This I feel, was great planning by the organizers. I mean, heck, it was so humid and, I was so perspired, I wasn't getting any wetter anyway. And, it wasn't cold at all. 99% of the boys got a good nights sleep. Shebang's sprung up everywhere in our cedar thicket camp. Gawd can some of those guys snore! There's an abundance of ticks in the woods. Everyone checked themselves regularly.

You know, some of the staff were making fun of it raining at Recon. And, the Union boys all had the same attitude, so what, it rained.

Things wrapped up today, on time and on schedule. Bob Szabo was on hand for some pictures. Shuttles ran every 10 min. to the parking areas. Exiting was easy.

"I'll give you $20 if you eat that worm."

So, that all said, I'd say the RECON organizers got this one right. I've been around for 5 years and this is one of the top 5 events I've attended. There was good attendance, good kits, and we the grunts were well provided for. The schedule was adjusted through the weekend to fulfill the needs of those on the field. I saw more horse soldiers in one place then I ever have. The guys in our company who drove from Minnesota got their nickel's worth at this one. And, I actually fired 27 rounds. I can think of 10 or 12 guys who, when they hear the stories, are gonna wish they had gone. That's my perspective, for what it's worth.

Part Dux: I have some rest now.

A couple of more things. I forgot there were civilians there. A couple of guys and about 8 or 9 ladies and children. I personally had no interaction with any of them, with the exception of seeing in the distance a teamster and an ambulance driver. Several of the boys in our company did however; encounter some ladies and children who tried in vain to come through the picket line. They were relieved of their food and turned away. Didn't effect me in any way positive or negative.

Firing distances were pretty realistic. In that jungle called the Wilderness, you couldn't see the enemy until you were fired on. So distances were from 80 yards in. Once you got to 50 yards or so, you were withdrawn; you skedaddled, or were killed or captured. In the Sunday scenario, which was a more open situation, we began volley fire at what I would say was at least 300 yards. And, what was left of the opposition only got as close as about 80 yards before they were either shot down, crushed under the hooves of the Cavalry or ran away.

Rations. There were a limited number of yams, onions and turnips available to each company. As it turns out this was a good thing for me since I lost my boiler in the woods on Saturday morning. Some bramble ripped the wire bail right off the thing. Turnips and yams aren't bad eaten cold, my bacon was cooked but with no boiler I was coffee-less all Saturday and Sunday.

I had a pretty darn good time.
        Last edited by Yellowhammer; 05-03-2004, 09:59 AM.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
        Past President Potomac Legion
        Long time member Columbia Rifles
        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

To piggyback on Dave's remarks, the same experience could be echoed in Company C. There was alot of pre-event coordination and communication, if you didn't read the 120 or so emails that were sent out, then you would be lost. Fortunately most did. I thought the 7th Maine Battalion looked sharp.
          The organizers and cadre worked hard on this and it showed.

This was my first time reenacting in Virginia and I was a Yankee ! :). (If you had to portray Union, this was the battalion.) I left Ft. Jackson at 2:30 pm and arrived at 10:40 pm. The inspection and registration staff did their jobs. They continued the shuttle and inspections right up to midnight. Chris Daley also stayed around and supplied me a shelter-half. The shelter half was the most timely and smartest bully-buy that I have ever made. The poles didn't help out but, after I hooked my halve up with Jim Peterson, we had strung a rope over two trees and suspended the dog tent on this. We stayed reasonably dry Saturday night.

I drew late rations and loaded up on bacon, turnips and hardtack, by Sunday morning the haversack was empty. The nco's and the leadership of Company C took great care of us. I didn't see any obvious farbisms, no cameras, modern clothing, lighters, modern food etc. If there were any anachronisms, the guys kept it well hidden. The biggest challenge was staying in first person, but no one was having the usual "reenactor" conversations about the internet, politics etc. No one was up late singing Jimmy Buffet songs (we were too tired). I heard only one reference to Monty Python (it's only a flesh wound!).

The airport was the only major distraction, and I am sure that folks looking down from their small planes were treated to the rare sight of an authentic Union Infantry unit marching across an poen field or deploying as skirmishers.

The battles were the most best, we were on a actual batlefield, the smoke, the confusion and the din of battle was there. The gray ghosts melted into the woods and the Johnnies were very hard to see in their home spun and jean cloth. There was no artillery available and the ground was inhospitable.
          The thick brush made command and contol almost impossible, it was easy to become seperated. Knapsacks are real nightmare for carrying in the woods, every vine would snag a strap or leather loop, along with tanglefoot and sharp briars, nothing stayed in place. The thick Virgina mud added to the misery. Brogans were filled with the gray clay, the roads were swamped and impassable for wagons. This wasn't a walk in the park or a parade field reenactment. The Union tried in vain all day to route the Confederates from the "jungle," but Johnny seemed right at home in the briar patch. The boys from Maine were out of their element in the Virginia Wilderness. Quite a few Wow moments that day.

The cedar camp was a welcome rest and the coffee boiler and campfires were quickly utilized. The unit licked their wounds, pulled out briars and sticks from their uniforms, changed socks and shirts and cooked up their vegetables. Union coffee never tasted so good.

The only sour note for me was during the Sunday battle, which lasted about 25 minutes from begining to end. The battle was different from the struggle in the Wilderness and it was great to be on the defensive., an unkown A Company private fired his musket with the nipple cap next to my left ear, part of the cap struck my ear canal, so I had a vicious migraine and ear ringing for the rest of the day. I enjoyed the battle and it was a great experience to see actual "tactics" put in place. There was no talk of breaking a scenario or no other such nonsense.

I actually enjoyed the march back to registration, especially some of the period walking AAR's of the battle. The 7th Maine can whistle and hum, but they could work on the signing :) Both sides CSA/USA treated each other with respect and honor, there was none of this regional BS and modern politics.

We saluted the 7th Maine and as a South Carolinian and SCV member, I was very honored to represent such a brave group of Union men. I spotted by one of the Fort Moultrie 1st SC Regulars, he wanted to know why I was wearing the blue. "We can't always play Confederate!" I replied. I really want to visit Augusta, Maine and see how it compares to Augusta Georgia one day.

On the return trip I went back via I-95, I visited Petersburg and "The Crater".
          The 140th anniversary of that blood bath is near, I thought about my ancestors fighting there in July and I can't help but to think of the horror that they witnessed on both sides. We can recreate everything except the shock, the fear, the suffering and the horror.

Even the mediocre fish and chips meal at Denny's tasted like a gourmet meal that afternoon. After an a event like this, you have a better appreciation of what the soldier endured, not a complete understanding. I believe this was the real reason most of us will find satisfaction. We attained 1 millimeter of understanding for evey mile they experienced.

Overall ITW was very successful in that vein. My hat is off to the organizers, staff and all of the participants. Thanks!

Greg Deese
          Co. C
          Gregory Deese
          Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
          "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Originally posted by JimConley
            Good point Dusty, but I was just a little let down by what got past the registration desk. I saw some discouraging things about some people that don't belong at an authentic event. .
            Hi Jim,
            I liked the speech Dave gave Sunday morning. It was about all those that
            have a great impression and all the right gear but bugged out.The ones that stuck it out were the real hardcore no matter not having all the designer gear. Sorry you feel its all about the correct "look". When your marching through tick infested woods the last thing I care about with the soldier next to me is if they have handstitched cap box, etc...
            Should be 90% attutude and desire , 10% look.
            Gary Vaught

Comment

A fine event. I served in Company A with Corporal Dave Towsend under the inspired leadership of Capt. Piering and heartily endorse Dave's comments. When I finally got into my own bed on Sunday evening, all I could do was send a small prayer of thanks to the men who went before us on that field. Each millimeter of understanding gained (to borrow Greg's phrase) was worth every scratch, blister, tick, raindrop, muddy sock, stomach growl, and then some.

Some of my highlights:

The waiting; the not knowing what was going on; the hurrying up; the waiting again; the beautiful Virginia night sky on Friday evening; the shirking out of guard duty because of an ill-fitting bayonet; the hour and a half cutting chunks of bacon for the company and then another hour and half cooking it (all in the dark); getting skin, wool, and leather caught up in every conceivable piece of undergrowth out there; losing sight of my file mates on the skirmish line in the confusion of the tangled mess; seeing glimpses of Rebs through the brush, moving this way and that - not knowing where they were going to come at you next; getting yelled at by the 1st Sergeant to keep moving but having no where to go; running into a Reb 75 yards ahead on the muddy trail in the tangled mess (suprising both of us) and both of us managing to get a shot off at the same time (which sent me sprawling on my back into the mud); sitting on the side of the dirt road with the company after the third engagement of the day, weary to the bone, eyes closed, listening to the captain sing "Home Sweet Home"; checking for ticks under the shebang in the dark (found them when I got home); carefully rationing my hardtack and chunks of bacon throughout the weekend and having none on Sunday morning anyway; having the good fortune of being able to sleep a little bit on Saturday night even though wet from the rain; watching the Union cavalry charge, led by Tom Craig, on Sunday morning; seeing Rooster's Black Cock (and hearing that he showed it to the wary Rebs when he got taken prisoner); marching in step with the remaining companies on Sunday morning back to the registration area, looking smart, with a fine bugle cadence; seeing the fine tintype of our company taken Bob Szabo; and much more.

Thanks to all that made it happen.
              Michael P. Jolin

Comment

What I saw: ITW AAR (long)

Into the Wilderness: From behind the line

My involvement with ITW began several months ago when I was asked to be the Sgt. Major of the 13th by the battalion commander, Jerry Stiles. It was then that I began to compile a list of the SWB members and guests that would be attending so that we could divide the troops into two companies of equal numbers. This was accomplished two weeks prior to the event. Because of my home location, I also visited the site on behalf of Capt. Stiles on two occasions prior to the event with the overall CSA commander, Dave Pridgeon.

I arrived at the event Friday morning around 1. I registered and was inspected by Bill Watson. Inspection consisted of weapons check, uniform check, no alcohol and no anachronisms. I didn’t wait around registration to see if these guidelines were followed for every participant, but this is what was written on the checklist and I past the inspection. I then waited for Captain Galleher to arrive. He was an hour late.

0:30. I registered and was inspected by Bill Watson. Inspection consisted of weapons check, uniform check, no alcohol and no anachronisms. I didn’t wait around registration to see if these guidelines were followed for every participant, but this is what was written on the checklist and I past the inspection. I then waited for Captain Galleher to arrive. He was an hour late. I visited Chris Daley and met James Miller and Joe Hoffman for the first time. Other members of companies B & D (SWB & guests) began arriving around 2:00. We walked to the CS campsite and set up the battalion on the higher ground, while the 14th TN was below us on the slightly rising ground. The OC for our battalion, Jerry Hornbaker, visited our battalion and told Capt. Stiles that he would be following us around, scoring the performance and calling out casualty numbers when necessary. He was very unobtrusive and seemed very fair when assessing casualty rates during our skirmishes with the enemy. There seemed to be a delay in the ration issue and word came through that the rented team of horses for the wagon was not delivered as promised. The rations were transported to the registration area and details from the 13th were sent to retrieve the rations using ground clothes. The rations were brought back to Co. B’s campsite and the boys went about counting, cutting and separating company rations. Based on company returns, the food was issued evenly to all companies, one at a time early Friday evening. The boys set about cooking immediately. A small battalion was sent out prior for guard duty and we were asked to provide a relief for them to come back and eat. Our boys went out at around 10:30 for a two hour shift but didn’t return until 2:30 am. Having attended the divisional level meeting on Friday night, we knew that we would be getting a late start on Saturday morning, but we didn’t tell the boys what time reveille was to be blown. People came in at all hours of the night Friday and I was awakened many times by people looking for their company, not to mention the pickets returning late. It was interesting to see the camp come alive from between 4:30 and 6:00 am. The men came to the event expecting to be on the move early and all were ready to go very early. Our battalion formation began around 7:45 am and we were marched to the field at the appointed hour of 8:30. Our cavalry had been up prior to this and had sent back some information via courier and working telegraph. Also, we had not heard of any Federal movements from our pickets. We crossed over some open fields and through some thin tree lines before entering the “Wilderness”. This area was very dense with some old trees, young trees, saplings and briars. No step was uncontested. The boys did an admirable job staying in line, but keeping contact with the other battalion quickly broke down. Our leftmost company, Co. H did their part, but the rest of the battalion needed a few left oblique marches to keep contact. Pioneers were sent out ahead to try to knock down any major obstacles but the going was slow and trying. The 14th TN began taking some fire in their front, so we were ordered to their support and began taking fire also. The enemy was very hard to see in the dense woods, smoke being the only indication where people might be. Seeing our superior numbers, we pushed the smaller Federal force and were stopped by an OC whistle. We had come dangerously close to the Feds, who had been hit from the front and their right flank while marching down a path in the woods. The boys were watered here and we rested, taking bedrolls and packs off our overheated selves. The OC’s discussed the action amongst themselves. About an hour later, the Federals moved off and we moved back to a low lying area, where our engineers began circling the camp in breastworks. The boys did an admirable job creating works without being able to dig. It was at this time that one of our companies was dispatched on a road guarding mission that took them away from us for the remainder of the day. We were moved out of the camp and sent back into the woods to find the Federals. This we did, but on their terms. The Federals appeared on our left as we marched through the woods. Our battalion went from a column of fours into a battalion front in seconds and began pouring fire in on the Federals. A group of Federals tried flanking us on the left and Cos. H and I refused the line to cover the rest of the battalion. The rest of the battalion left these companies to regroup and if not for the bravery of these men, the entire battalion may have been captured. Cos. H & I lost about half their strength in saving the remaining companies. Again the whistle blew because of close fighting and we were able to move away to our breastworks to set up a defensive position. The Federals hit us hard here and our boys put up a strong defense. The 14th TN took in the frontal assault as the 13th tried to flank the Federal company. After again having superior numbers, the Federals retreated and we again took our positions inside the breastworks. The boys had the knowledge of impeding weather and looking through the trees verified their concerns. Because of the low land and saturated soil, it was decided that we should move to higher ground. Our pioneers had found us a nice area on higher ground and no sooner had we begun to set up camp than it began to rain (around 6:30 pm I think). Gum blankets and shelter halves started going up in many shapes and sizes, some quite effective, some not so effective. Capt. Stiles, Sgt. Mink and myself looked lost but with the help of our Ohio guests, George Alcox in particular, in B company, we were able to construct a tolerable shelter in which we attempted to remain dry and to get some sleep. Thanks to the generosity of the Company B (4th VA SWB), I got some potato soup for dinner, the warm broth hitting the spot on the wet night. It rained from 6:30 pm to about 4:00 am. I know because about every 15 – 20 minutes, I had to get out of the shelter and bail a portion of the structure over my head so it wouldn’t fall in on us. Many faired better than us and some did worse than us. Some (very few) were so miserable that they left the event, walking the 3-4 miles back to the parking lot, getting soaked all the way. We again arose around daybreak on Sunday morning. We were told we would move out at 7:15 so the boys packed up the camp and we marched out the “road” to an open field. Now when I read about how muddy the roads were, I have a better idea. We hit the field which was probably 500 – 600 yards wide and the battalions formed up quickly, as we were being observed for a hill in the distance. Two companies from our battalion were sent out as skirmishers and with the skirmishers from the 14th TN, the entire field was covered, with a reserve company in each battalion. Because our left most companies were sent forward, I went forward with the skirmishers. I was nervous about our left flank as there was a group of cedar trees in the field that could have provided cover for the Federals. We sent two skirmishers into the trees but they found nothing. The Feds had a skirmish line out in the field that fell back after seeing our battalions advancing. We were ordered through a small ford and to reform on the opposite side under fire from the Feds. The 14th TN went through first, reforming on our right. We went through and reformed on the left. As we advanced up the hill, Federal cavalry came out in front of us. It was here that the battalion commander and I both were determined to be casualties and we went to the rear. This action was the final of the day. We marched back to the registration area, about 2 miles by my calculation. Most of the men made the march. Shuttles provided aid to those who didn’t. I followed the battalion and provided help to those along the way who needed it. When I got back to registration, I hopped on one of the first shuttles to the parking lot and changed out of my rain and sweat soaked clothes, found two ticks, said some goodbyes and left the event, satisfied that it met or exceeded my expectations. I would attend a similar event in the future. It was tough going, but I think it was one of the best events I’ve attended with regard to living like the soldiers of the time. We got what we needed; food, water, and medical and I thank the many who made it a good experience for me personally.

Last edited by dusty27; 05-04-2004, 08:12 AM.
                Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

More as I have time, but I want to express my utmost respect for everyone who stuck it out through the rain and who were rairin' to go on Sunday morning. One specific confederate (identity unknown to me) sticks out in my mind:

The fella showed up at the Saturday evening meeting of OCs at the federal commissary, looking for a pair of tweezers and some topical medicament because he had a tick embedded in a most unfortunate :o part of his anatomy. I chased down our hospital steward, who provided the wherewithal and the victim took care of himself. Later I saw him making the long walk back to his company in the downpour. I was in the "modern logistics mode" at the time and offered him a ride. He turned it down and continued plodding down the road through the puddles. Hurrah to him!

Ron Myzie

Comment

Originally posted by JimConley
                    Anyone back from Recon III? Just curious as how the rest of it turned out. I left on Friday because of personal disappointments that I will not get into out of respect, but what did the rest of you think?
                    Mr. Conley,

It’s a shame you couldn't get past this initial disappointment. What would have awaited you was an awesome campaigner event. With over 450 participants, the vast majority with good impressions, we did experience the Wilderness.

My view was from the Confederate side at the event. Many impressions of our community here in the East, that has been window dressing in the past, became a necessary, functional part, including signals, and telegraph (over 1 1/2 miles of wire run) letting us know every Federal movement that was in the open. The effective use of pioneers cutting and marking trails for couriers, and to water sources, meant that we could and did establish an effective base of operations anywhere we chose in the Wilderness.

Our regiments where able to move through the terrain, some of it nearly impenetrable, because of the effective use of the bugle. The battalions and their companies were able to stop, and recollect themselves, again rebuilding a solid front then moving forward, all controlled by the single sounds of a bugle.

An old inivation was rediscovered, and for the first time implemented here in the Eastern community, the development of a sharpshooter battalion that performed all skirmish duties. These sharpshooter battalions basically became the permanent skirmishers. We followed the basic pattern developed by Robert Rodes, and Major Eugene Blackford, first used so effectively on Jackson's Flank March at Chancellorsville, and which later became the standard operating procedure for Lee's army by the spring of 1864. Our companies were each also pulled from a battalion, and consolidated, under the command of a captain, and had drilled in advance to operate as an independent force. They also recreated the patches of a sharpshooter battalion that exists at the Maryland Historical Society.

As concerns uniforms/impressions I would like to say this. When I left the largest mainstream organization here in the East, the one I had played a major part in forming, the ANV, it was basically in search of a change of two things. One was the desire to bring together and serve with folks that constantly wanted to improve and upgrade our impressions and get the best portrayal possible. The other was to bring together folks that had the "heart" to do it right in the field. This weekend that meant living in tick infested woods, willing to be part of 24-hour operations that would totally exhaust you, willing to be functional and continue on totally soaked, willing to march through ground so soaked the mud was capable of sucking your brogans off, and willing to exist off the rations given to you. It was men like Mark from the Fourth Texas, twisting an ankle but continuing on to the end on Sunday. The overall majority in attendance had the "heart" to emulate the Confederate soldier this weekend.

I am not saying here that obtaining proper kits are not a vital part of what we try and accomplish. However you have to look at the entire body of work an event represents to evaluate its success. Too often simple heart and effort are overlooked. When the original veterans look down upon our efforts and take measure, I have to think that although someone’s coat may not have be totally correct, the fact that a private was willing to endure all the various conditions thrown his way this weekend, and pushed forward because he kept thinking to himself that is how “they” (the original veterans) would have done it, has to mean something to the boys upstairs. It’s just really a shame you didn’t stick around for the second part of the equation. Sometimes it’s important to look past whether an impression you are evaluating has a pedigree or not.

-Dave Pridgeon
                    Pridgeon’s Shenandoah Legion
                    (formally The Fifth Battalion)

Comment

I was in the company (Co. I, 13th AL) that was sent off to gaurd the road early in the morning. We got to the road and broke our company down to platoon two platoons. Each platoon was guarding a different section of the road. We waited there all day for action, none came. We heard the battle ragging in the thick wood we had left earlier that morning, and we saw a few "casualties" straggle through our lines to the aid station.

We were seperated from battalion all day, and no runners were sent to us. Finally our Captain took a detachment from our company to go find trouble. They stumbbled upon the Fed caverly and they also engaged some of the infantry. After that we got orders to move from Divison and ended up marched to the feild the Feds came through in morning and some how ended up as an advanced guard.

I had to leave early because of finals here at school, so I can't speak of our action on Sunday. But, although we didn't see much fighting I had a great time. Sitting down by the road and listening to a raging battle was one of my period moments. Not knowing any information because we had been cut off from battalion, not knowing what was going on. The only person I talked to was the Capt. from Co. H and he said that we were taking heavy losses in the attack. It was a different experice to not be in the fight, but know that it was going on. But we had our orders to guard the road, and that is what we did, even if the Yanks never came.

Joe "Moose" Caridi
                      IFW Mess
                      Joseph Caridi
                      Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Ron,

That man's name is Greg Platt. This is his first full season. He's a good example of someone who may never be able to afford the most elite gear (long story involving expensive health situations in his family), but he will give 110% every time and then offer more. The men back then would have been proud to know him.

Comment

Pards and Freinds,
                          I feel as if owe many of you an apology. I may have spoken entirely too soon and I am sorry. I may have looked into the whole thing too harshly. I never made any intention to bash the event or anyone that participated. I expected a little too much I suppose. Having looked back and after hearing nothing but great accounts of the event, I am ashamed to have voiced any discontent on the subject. I would like to thank Chris Anders, the event organizers, and all that went out of their way to make my dad and feel welcome. We were very thankful for all of the kind comments on our impressions and will make every effort to redeem ourselves next time out east. Thank you and my apologies go out to all. And lastly, my hat is off to all of you that stuck it out and made the event a success.
                          Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

It was a good event. I'll leave it to others to elaborate how and to what extent. Not perfect by any means and there were problems. I hope most of the shortcomings were beyond the ken of the average soldier or trooper as we tried to handle these at higher levels of command so the impact wasn't felt at the level of the man in the ranks or in the saddle.

Battalion command ( and almost any position on staff ) is not fun. It's about delivering fun and challenges to those who've agreed to submit themsleves to our authority for the weekend. It's a working weekend and certainly ITW was one such. I hope the man with the musket or with reins in hand feels his investment was adequately or, dare we hope, well repaid. I believe our staff and commanders on the Federal side did the best we are capable of delivering.
                            David Culberson
                            The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Jim Conley:

Stop fretting. Next Recon you're on inspection detail at registration. :-) :-) :-)
                              Bill Watson
                              Stroudsburg

Comment

"Should be 90% attitude and desire, 10% look."

Gary,

I don't agree with this statement at all. Both "attitude" and "look" deserve different catigories.

Here's how it should go:

Attitude = 100%

Look = 100%

Anyway, I'm glad you guys had a good time at this event. Sounds like a success!
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                                Cincinnati

Comment

Working...
                                X