Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recon III Feedback

Originally posted by Wild Rover
    Both times we rushed you guys we had a perceived distinct advantage-!
    During the first fight, I was isolated on the Federal left (middle actually, since my left wing had been gobbled up), so I didn't see it.

The Breastworks fight was the problem. Two CS OCs complained about a lack of discipline in gray among some particpants at that particular point, and the Federal OC was giving out casualty cards to Johnnies, too. Realistically, that attack would have collapsed, as we did not waver so much as retire behind some deadfall and would have cut that charge to pieces. But this isn't about tactics, it's about safety, and it's unsafe to charge up to within 10 feet of folks firing like that in dense, foot-tripping vegetation. The OCs all said it was a problem, and they corrected it by Sunday.

Chris, your boys performed very aggressively and I don't have any problem with that; heck, we tried to warn brigade that our schedule would allow you to get through the Wilderness before we had taken up our position along the Brock Road, but orders is orders.

And I want it perfectly clear this discussion is not to "blame" the CS side, but to learn some lessons for making this kind of event more realistic and more historical. Without resorting to CW paintball, we're really breaking new ground here. Most events use a scripted scenario, but for those who don't know about the Recons, OCs (observer/controllers) act as "umpires" to assess casualties. The system is still evolving, but the CWLHI is about as responsive to input as anyone could ask.

The numbers disparity is an issue that the event will have to deal with, and again, is a problem across the hobby. That's not carping, or criticism, just realism. There are practical ways to control it (capping CS registration like at the last Burkittsville or Pickett's Mill this year) or deciding on a ratio of forces (shutting down one color temporarily or even permanently if it fills up too fast).

I want everyone reading this thread to know that the analysis now isn't pointing fingers, but is an attempt to make better an event that has proven very satisfying to the rank & file on both sides. Because you and I are both friends and have worked together to build this and WOTJ, we can set a pattern for this kind of discussion.

And you know we rolled up your left flank in the middle scenario! a 50-50 split of the battles over 2 days ain't bad when you're outnumbered almost 2-1. :wink_smil
    Bill Cross
    The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Bill,
      Agreed- I saw some of the boys on our right a little too close and a little to spread out...but without tons of O/C's, they could not control everything all the time due to the nature of the terrain. Once in the open it was no problem, but with both sides chomping at the bit to "pitch in", they had a tiger by the tail.

Perhaps if the O/C is used in future events in heavy terrain, I would recommend no less than 1 per every 2 companies. Wood fighting is mostly open order, and with vision reduced, the numbers would have to increase.

However, I will say that with thier limited numbers, they did a fantanstic job. No event is ever perfect, we all know that, but rather should improve with experience.

Saturday round number 2 we watched as the 13th went forward for a recon in force, and then heard the battle open, followed by gobs of casualties coming in....seemed darn realistic. We just finished our breastworks and peered into the woods, waiting for you guys to appear.

Once you shifted to our left, we moved all our companies but one to that area to contain and hold, while the boys on the right flanked, or attepted to...when I saw what appeared to be the feds falling back, we went forward.

Three Maxims I have dug out-

Find: the enemy
      Fix: the enemy in place
      Finish: the job

It was a great event, and everyone involved did a great job. If anything we have learned just how aggressive we all are, and need to set up large numbers of O/C's to control it for Number 4 if we use the same style terrain.

It lent great realism to the event, when we started to lose casualties-

On the initial fight, we pushed so hard and quick we only lost 2 men out of 100. On the breastwork fight we lost 12, most on the counterattack. Now on sunday that was a different story, with by my guess over 50% casualties. Waiting on the adjutant to complete the AAR with all the numbers.

It was a great time, and moving forward we can build on its success and work as a team to overcome any issues.

Pards,
      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

It's interesting to hear the gray side of how scenario 2 went. I couldn't tell what we were up against as I tried to control the left wheel of the right wing that came into contact with your reserve battalion. I could see the unit in line, but in the dense woods I thought it was only a company. It was very difficult to control the boys and keep them from running; some ran no matter what I did. I wanted to prevent a wholesale route like the one earlier.

It was a very realistic experience for me. I was very sore and hoarse at the end of it from running along the skirmish lines and screaming to keep order.
        Dave Grieves

Comment

Dave,
          It is neat hearing form both sides...I can't wait for the final AAR's...initially you had one company in skirmish order there, but there were 2 and then finally 3 companies that moved out of thier works and swung right into your left.

I still have no voice.....Like I said, I think it will be great to hear all the AAR's...now if we can just get it aminated on a map...lol

Pards,
          S. Chris Anders

Comment

Numbers disparity

Numbers disparity is easily dealt with for the next version. Whenever registration for one side gets 20 percent ahead of the other, it is stopped until the "short" side catches up to within 10 percent. With so much registration for this event taking place so many months ahead, this should be quite feasible. And it should make for even earlier registrations, which is a Good Thing.

By the way, so far as I know none of the OCs have any problem with questions being asked about the stand-downs. I think we just need to do some more advance work to convert those periods into appropriate soldierly activity -- no fighting, no tactical maneuvering, but a stand-down doesn't have to mean "no military activity at all." There's always coffee to be boiled and weapons to be cleaned and pickets to be set ... etc.

The enthusiasm everyone is demonstrating in the wake of the event is having quite an effect on staff, believe me. It's getting everyone pumped for the next one. Just the opposite of burn-out.
            Bill Watson
            Stroudsburg

Comment

Bill,

This time around, actions need to be more than mere gestures, or like Sisyphus and his rock, the cycle will begin anew. I cannot count the number of times this end of the hobby has been at this point immediately after a good event, only to flatline a few weeks later. This is the time to connect to the next dot (event at bat), and the next (event on deck), and the event after that on the horizon.

Kevin often speaks of communication. Pogue adds in cooperation, coordination, and reciprocation. Nothing new here. Over the years in thousands of posts on a multitude of forums, listservers, and adding in the phone calls and face-to-face conversations, a few things become apparent. You have seen these before, many times, and none of it is new. Ceteris parabis, there are givens and druthers.

Givens:

- The average active reenactor attends 6 to 8 events each year.
              - A calendar has 52 weekends, but only about 35 of them are useful.
              - People are willing to drive long distances to 1 or 2 events each year.
              - Stand alone events have less authenticity detractors than do carpe eventums and campaigner adjuncts.
              - Event organizers are few.
              - Land availabilty for linear events is limited.
              - Overhead isn't getting any lower.
              - Certain 19th century resources, such as transportation, are in short supply.
              - Events are designed for different scales, and this should be recognized.
              - Significant events need 6 to 8 weeks in between as a buffer.
              - Some events are elastic, and some are inelastic.
              - Pop up events cause damage.
              - Messes are halfway houses.
              - Geography is a factor.

Druthers:

- Not all opportunities present themselves in an orderly fashion, but those that do should be incorporated into a logical system rather than having every event a haphazard hodge podge.
              - Communication, cooperation, coordination, and reciprocity should be rewarded.
              - This EBUFU process requires some give and take to get it back on track.
              - Standing companies are the building block for battalions.
              - Season 2004 is all but over. Start with what is on the table for 2005, and move out from there.

I agree with your 1, some of your 2, and most of number 3. Unfortunately, the success of this is not up to you or I. It's up to the individual event principals. I believe there is a great misunderstanding when it comes to the scale and scope of events, for company level events in different regions rarely have any effect on one another. Battalion events tend to have a greater gravitational pull, brigade events a little more, and so on. The real problem comes when someone isn't aware of a good battalion size event nearby and schedules a COI or something flexible right on top of it. That's why it is good to get event dates out in public early and often. How early? About 2 years works for the time being, as the old N/SA 5-year plan was a good management tool, but it has pretty much evaporated.

"But maybe McDowell will be a hardcore almost national simply because it's a solid event that folks can reasonably be expected to drive to from a large portion of the country."

Hold that thought.

"Curt Schmidt has pointed out many times the arc of involvement in this hobby from fresh fish to jaded, burned out veteran, and I'm seeing evidence of this all the time as good friends tell me "I'm burned out."

Some of that has been sadly predictable. Remind them some fine day the best rank in the reenactor armies is that of a private. They'll find it refreshing to attend an event as a participant rather than cultivate yet another event from seed to fruit. The heady feeling after a well executed event does subside and folks who were on the verge of burnout find it returning within the month. The post-event buzz doesn't last forever.

"Maybe "seeing the elephant" these days means lasting out Recon weather?"

Spending the night out in the rain, snow, and mud is a rite of passage, even in this hobby. There is much to be said for shared hardships, and there is a difference between shared hardships and unsafe conditions. Sometimes I wonder if we could just throw people in a pond and let them see how fast wool dries, if we'd be ahead during the dreaded rain showers.

I don't agree with the shotgun approach to event planning. Having many events is a good thing, but one need not eat the whole box of chocolates in one sitting to enjoy them. In other words, over the past few years, more and more folks notice how one year is overcrowded with good events, and the next year is a little lean. Remember 2000 was the Year of the Preservation March? It had at least four, and three were almost on top of each other. What to do? Encourage event development, and place them on the calendar in the out years. Reward these folks and their events by giving them more time to organize. I'll be burned at the stake for suggesting such in a moment, but it won't be the first time, nor will it be the last.

"... have NUMEROUS hardcore SEMI-nationals."

This would be the same as the regional events. That's what generally happens when two events with national level potential conflict with each other, and dilute the potential numbers for either event.

Nothing said thus far is new, and most of it has been posted at least 5,000 times over the years. Sorry to bore folks who have been paying attention, but I'd like to borrow the EBUFU calendar from Phil Campbell for a moment and look at 2005. There's a number of events that need to be added, some that have been cancelled, and some that may need to be deducted. This is in a little different format.

================================================== =======

January XX-XX 2005 - Woodlands - SC - 4 companies - Chris Crabb

February 18-20, 2005 - Sumter SRO - SC - 1 company - Dave Chinnis

February 25-27, 2005 - I600 - GA - POW LH - 3 companies - John Cleaveland

March 3-6, 2005 - 1860s Conference - PA - Civs - N/A - Carolann Schmitt

March 11-20, 2005 - A'boro to B'ville Sherman March - NC - UNK - TBA

March 25-27, 2005 - Glorietta Pass - NM - Cancelled - Kevin Black

April 1-3, 2005 - Sailor's Creek Preservation March - VA - 2 battalions - Lester

April 1-3, 2005 - Shiloh LH - TN - 1 battalion - Jim Butler

April 29-30, 2005 - Port Gibson March - MS - 1 battalion - John Cleaveland

May 6-8, 2005 - McDowell - VA - (also seen 13-15 as dates) - 4 battalions

May XX-XX, 2005 - Railroad - SC - Unk - 2 companies (?) - Cory Pharr

June 3-5, 2005 - June Tactical - VA - Cancelled

June XX-XX, 2005 - Brigade Drill - PA - 2 battalions - Doug Oakes

July XX-XX, 2005 - Coming Home - MD - Unk - Chris Anders

August 5-7, 2005 - Athens - MO - 1 battalion - Frank Aufmuth

September 1-2, 2005 - Island Mound - MO - 1 battalion - Phil Campbell

October XX-XX, 2005 - Corinth - MS - 1 battalion - N/SA

October 28-30, 2005 - Payne's Farm/Mine Run - VA - 3 companies of 2nd VA and 2-3 co. of 151 NY (150 infantry per side) - Dusty Chapman (edited by Mike Chapman)

That's what the 2005 EBUFU Calendar has thus far. This far out, there are some holes, and a number of good events haven't risen to the surface yet. To look at it another way:

Woodlands - Had a wet beta test. Could be a good snowbird event for January 2005, and may be in competition with a number of garrison the fort type events. Couple of companies, some cavalry, and a basic outpost type scenario. Local event with a few long distance folks.

SRO5 - 52nd PVI LH with about 70 men cap. Awful close to I600 in style, geography, and calendar. Depending on the status of I600, it could be "the" event for that timeframe. Local if I600 goes forward. Regional if not. Folks will get hung up in Olustee and wish they made this event.

I600 - Had a lot of support from several regions. It would well be considered a regional event by size, but national by appeal. Since it isn't likely to attract or hold 400+ participants, it's a regional with a lot of pull. No word on final approval.

1860s Conference - One for the civilians, and those who remember they were civilians before and after they were soldiers. Regional event with national interest for civilians.

A'boro to B'ville Sherman March - A week long event may be a bit much with no advertising as of yet. Not much out there in terms of details. The Bentonville 2000 march was fun, and just about right for a campaigner adjunct. The swamp was nice, and maybe that same snake will be waving hello this time around. Almost on top of the Sailor's Creek proposal, and that makes it a regional event at best, at the moment. Week long events tend to be hard sells, too.

Glorietta Pass - KIA - A number of folks were looking at this, and I wanted to mention its demise.

Sailor's Creek Preservation March - Feel like I was just there. Good event. Another campaigner adjunct. Rain washed away a large number of troops last time around. Almost on top of the Bentonville proposal, which makes it a regional event at best. Same thing happened in 2000, with little or no ill effects.

Shiloh LH - Probably the critical path for the Bentonville and Sailor's Creek efforts in terms of adding 1-2 additional companies from the west to either or both of those engagements. Regional event.

Port Gibson March - Was supposed to be a one shot deal, but Mother Nature turned on the blast furnace for record temps. This would make for a good national event nominee, except for the events the five weeks in front of it, and the McDowell event the week after. Would this be better moved to 2006? Could be, but Recon IV would typically be slotted in May 2006. With November 2006 wide open at the moment, a Fall Recon would give a change of pace especially if the Brandy Station site is to be used again, and, no, I'm not going to predict less rain with season change. All or any of that is going to take some phone calls, and that CCCR thing. What a coup if it were to happen. This is thinking outside the box, but it is not our decision to make. Given the distance and the heavy schedule, it will most likely be a regional event, if held in 2005.

McDowell - It has been 4 years, so why not? Just kidding. D.W. Alexander's Cavalry was from Tennessee, and the 12th Georgia Inf. hasn't been beaten to death too badly. I say this because what if the WIG came to McDowell? What if they came as Ohio or WV troops and helped the federal numbers? Just a thought, but again, it is not our decision to make. With Port Gibson so close, it will most likely remain as a regional event, however, with some minor calendar work, it could be a national event nominee.

A battalion scale eastern federal NPS type LH has been mentioned. Nothing firm.

Working On The Railroad - A late May event in South Carolina. Whew. This is a local event with regional potential.

June Tactical - Cancelled

Brigade Drill - A good learning experience, and most likely a regional event at best. It may end up being a rope drill, but good instruction is still good instruction.

Coming Home - Most likely a local or regional event with the scenario. This one has the potential for deep immersion.

Athens - The AARs from the last one were positively glowing. It will probably attract national level attention, but the mileage (really not that bad) will deter some folks from attending. This event has potential, and at least one battalion size group has tentatively committed to attend to support the ATM.

Island Mound - Between Athens, another Chickamauga LH, and the N/SA event a month later, this will probably get shortchanged from Regional to Local. The timing looks good.

Corinth - Folks will hesitate at first, and then go to whatever carpe eventum or whatever campaigner adjunct emerges. It's the D+1 theory at work in support of the N/SA. This has a strong regional draw.

Mine Run - This event has potential to be a National in terms of timing, and "newness." Location will probably render it more of a regional, unless some good handshake agreements can be worked out.

That's what the 2005 EBUFU Calendar has thus far, and this is a good time to add in those other regional events that aren't on the calendar. This far out, there are some holes, and a number of good events haven't risen to the surface yet. At one time, it was worth looking at what the WW 1 and WW 2 folks were doing, as well as the Rev War hobby. The Span-Am centennial appears to have faded.

The 2006 edition:

February - Winter 1864
              March - Pea Ridge
              April - Jenkins Ferry
              April - Mansfield
              May - Recon IV
              May - Black Jack
              May - Port Hudson
              May - Richmond
              TBA - Old Washington
              TBA - 8th Missouri March

That just about taps me out. The more complete versions are on the OTB Forum. This is food for thought, and an opportunity for some of the event organizers to make some shuffling, or not. As you can tell, I left a lot of things open for a great deal of discussion. The A-C Forum used to be known for serious event discussions, and it would be good if that level of event forecasting would return.

(As a side note, reacting to fire and realistic engagement distances can and should be taught at COIs and other schools as appropriate.)

Charles Heath
              Last edited by dusty27; 05-06-2004, 07:54 AM.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Bill O,
                If my use of the "Y" word offended you and others in your patrol, you have to look at it from our side. It seemed like every time we'd get close, some CS guys had to charge right into us ( And I understand what you were trying to do Chris, but 10 feet is still too close).
                It looks like you guys didn't get the word for whatever reason, so I apologize for lumping you in with the others.
                Lt. Emerson made his escape while Capt. Berg and I held the Johnnies off by throwing our hands in the air. That was my magic moment for the weekend.

Chuck "Amos" Reynolds

Comment

Amos,
                  Understand....nothing is perfect, and I can see what you guys were up against....but I still think we all had a darn good time,and we need to use this to keep pushing forward.

Always good to see you Amos!

Coming to Antietam in August?

Pards,
                  S. Chris Anders

Comment

A quirk of logic

I'm not arguing for or against anything or anybody, just wanted to point something out.

Everybody got a number and instructions to "deploy the card" when the number was called. The other side of that coin, surely, is that you do not implement the casualty card until called upon to do so, either by hearing the number or by feeling the Hand of God tap you on the shoulder. There is a certain amount of logic at work in reaching the conclusion to do nothing until instructed to do so -- at work in defiance of what your common sense might dictate about a particular situation, to be sure, but still, logic according to the rules as explained.

I think, in encounters where command and control is going to be difficult for both OCs and tactical staff, we probably need to supplement our pre-event planning with some guidelines on the use of common sense in situations like those described here. We put more emphasis on bivouac skills in our pre-event guidelines this time and got a much more bivouac-savvy group as a result. Just need to extend the guidelines to the casualty system.
                    Bill Watson
                    Stroudsburg

Comment

There are a number of folks who have both a CS and US kit that can pass muster. Open registration to those who can go both ways as such and , as numbers start to firm up tell those who have agreed to do so come in the appropriate kit. Both RECON 2 and 3 had the same problem albeit reversed.

Kevin Kelley

Comment

Common sense!

My only real problem I had with Recon 3 is when the game needs to be played and when it stops. It was Saturday evening when Ken (my tent mate) and I just finished setting up our tent and laying out our gear when he realized that he had lost his Car keys. I reported to my 1st Sgt. that we were going to look for them. As tired as I was I could not see letting Ken wonder around by himself. We were very lucky that it only took us a couple of minutes to locate his keys (someone was looking after Ken that evening).
                        At that moment a line of Confederates came out of the woods and yelled that we were captured. I told them that we were not playing the game because my buddy had lost his keys. One arrogant Confederate said in a loud tone that, "This is the Game and that we had to go with them." I told them that was B.S. and we were going back to camp. The same individual again made it know that he was not going to let this happen. At that point I decided that it would be easier to just let them take us prisoners then sit and argue all night. My point is when does common sense come into play at these events? I don't think it was too difficult to see that Ken and I where not a raiding party and we were looking for something!
                        [FONT=Courier New]Mark Maranto[/FONT]

Comment

Mark

My thoughts on this, your Orderly Sgt. could have talked to the Fed OC which in turn could have given you a time out pass or something to that effect.

This way you could have given your pass to an Officer or NCO of the opposing side, explaining the reason for being where you were.

Harry Connelley

Comment

"There are a number of folks who have both a CS and US kit that can pass muster. Open registration to those who can go both ways as such and , as numbers start to firm up tell those who have agreed to do so come in the appropriate kit. Both RECON 2 and 3 had the same problem albeit reversed."

Kevin Kelley

Close but not quite.

Would it be fair then for some folks to have to always carry the load, and be fill ins, so that others can do thier pet impression?

No. Sometimes it is good to be selfish and say, "I want to wear blue/gray that weekend", and do it.

The whole hobby has to reach the dual impression stage, period.

It is good to take one for the team but after a while it gets real old. When is it thier turn?

Pards,
                            S. Chris Anders

Comment

Greeting to all of my fellow Comrades of the 7th Maine:

Now that I have had a few a few days to recover and get back to my 21st life I feel that I can now write a AAR of The Into The Wilderness event.

After an 8.5 hour drive from Louisville KY, my friend Charlie Lemons and I arrived at the site early Thursday evening. I must add here that the drive through Virginia was beautiful, and the directions that were given made finding the event site easy. When we got to the site , no one was there so we decided to go get something to eat and headed for town. We ended up at Ruby Tuesday and were delighted to find that some of the event staff were there eating as well. After talking with some of them and finishing our dinner we headed off to the Sleepy Hollow Inn for a nights rest.

Arriving at registration at 0900, we were the first ones to show up. Mr. Watson was still setting up. After signing all the appropriate forms and passing the Autheticity inspection, with corrections needed, we headed off to visit Chris Daley. I want to say here that I really liked the inspection and think that this should be done in exactly the manor at more events. Finding Chris still unpacking and setting up I waited for him to get some of his stuff out before I asked him to locate my Sgt. Stripes. I had ordered them on his website the weekend before, but after a phone call to him we both decided that it would be to risky to try mailing them and agreed that the best thing to do would be to pick them up at the event. This is my second set of Daley stripes and for my vote they are the best available. Thanks Chris!

While Charlie went to park the car I sat under a shade tree and watched as men continued to roll in and register and sewed on my stripes. When Charlie came back we walked over to registration and found our 1st sgt. We were formed up and marched to another spot. Havingn been offered a shuttle ride to to where we were going we asked how far it was. 2.5 miles , well after marching 12 last year at Port Gibson Charlie and I decided that 2.5 miles was nothing. We walked.Having been previously assigned as 2nd Sgt. I was given the further dutiy of Commissary SGt. I went to the designated spot and waited to get our companys rations. As we were the Color compnay we were next to last to recieve ours. The quartermaster had run short of potato, turnips and onions. I tried a little bartering and managed to get extra sugar coffee and pork belly.

Prior to getting rations we had gathered firewood and made ready to cook the rations when they arrived. Everyone seemed pleased that we had gotten extra stuff ubtil they had to cut it up and cook it. Then Sgt. Dodge wasn't so popular anymore...oh well... you can't please everyone! :wink_smil We then marched off into the Wilderness and our bivouac for the night. Everyone settled in and tried to rest up for the next days activities.

We were woken at 0500 by the boot and quickly ate a breakfast of rations and coffee. Forming up again at about 0700 we were marched about 300 yards and entered the Woods. It was about an additional 200 yards when we heard the sound of gunfire and were engaged by the rebs. They pressed us hard and we fell back. Pressing them harder we were able to hold our posistion for a brief time then forced once again to retreat. After reforming our lines we marched off to resting place and refilled our canteens and got a few moments to catch our breath.

The second scenerio of the day was very much like the first except that the woods were much denser and the rebs pressed us even harder. Trying to maintain order in all this was very difficult. I found it hard to keep my men in their places and can understand how frustrating it must have been for the soliders of the 1860's to maintain control under these kinds of condidtions. The noise was almost deafning and with the smoke from black powder, the crack of muskets and the noise of the men themselves. I did not hear the retreat blown. And there I was surrounded on all sides by Johnnys . As I tried to reload my rifle, a voice said I wouldn't do that Yank. I was a prsioner!

My captors marched me off to a site where they were resting. After they rifled through my haversack and threw some good heated taunts at me I sat back and had a nice first person conversation with a nice Sgt, from GA. He asked me if I had any coffee and I said sure but you can't just have it. What have you got to trade? He had cigars and I wanted one of those. We traded and each was happy with what he got. After about 45 minutes I was paroled and allowed to return to my unit. When I arrived they were glad to see me not knowing what had happened to me. We then reformed and marcehd off to nice cedar grove where we settled in for the night.

The 1sgt myself and the 4th Sgt. decided to pool our resources and built a shebang. Using my shelter half and the 1sgt. we buttoned them together , laid out a gum blanket on top of that, put two more on the ground and covered those with cedar boughs. By this time Mother nature had decided taht we had not had enough water during the day and the heavens opened up and diluged us with rain. Managing to cook a boiler full of potato, onion and turnip, with the salt pork and a dash of sugar I ate my dinner and turned in. I lit a candle and read the letter( a period letter) that my wife had packed in my haversack. Spooning with my 2 friends we all slept relatively well considering the weather.

Sunday dawned cloudy. Everything and everyone was wet. I had no idea that wool pants could hold that much water! Our Col.had a plan that would use the color company as bait and lure the rebs into a trap(evil grin goes here). We formed up left the colors in the rear and marched off to the lower field where we positioned ourselves on the only road between the fields and in front on the creek. After some taunting and hollering we engaged the rebs again, They pressed us very hard but we held our ground. Having formed a skirmish line,we did allright. From the woods to our left came a second wave of rebs. we continued to poor on a steady fire and lured them further into the trap that had been set. when they reached a certain point our federal Cavalry swept down on them.I looked around and saw that the OC's were tapping on shoulders and pulling men out the line of battle. This seemed to work better then the casulty card number sysytem as you can't always hear your number being called. The cards I think would work well for the hospital.

After the engagement ended, I asked one of the officers If I might speak to the Col. I wanted to ask his permission to address the whole company. He said that would be fine. Forming everyone up I told them how proud I was of the effort that they had each made to honor the men of the 7th Maine. Having been born and raised in China Maine, where many of the orginal men had been recruited, and being the GG grandson of James Parnell Jones a Lt. COl. in the original 7th. This was a once in a lifetime experience for me.And I was grateful for the maximum effort that many went to right down to the maine accent. Thats not an easy thing to do aughhhh, :D .3 huraahs for the 7th Maine!

Personally for me this was one of the best events I have ever attended and I can find very little that was not done well. I woudl have liked to see less modern vehicles but I do understand the need for them. Maybe next time they can hide them a little more. I have come away with a great experience, new friends and A new apprceiation of what conditions must have been like in 1864. Great Job to all who planned this!

Respectfully,

2nd Sgt. Gregory J Dodge
                              Co. C 7th Maine

and in my other life:

1st Corporal Alexander H. Thompson
                              Co.A 7th KY Us Vol. inf.

and in my real life:

Sgt Gregory J Dodge
                              207th Maint. Co KYARNG
                              Ft. Knox KY
                              1st Corporal Gregory J. Dodge
                              (aka) Alexlander Thompson
                              7th Ky Vol Inf U.S./ Western Brigade Secretary-Treasurer
                              President Kentucky Soldiers Aide Society

Comment

Greg it was great hearing your perspective. Your presence at the event as real China, ME native representing your 7th ME ancestor was special. I did some research on China to develop my first person character, the irrespressible Hiram Walker. To have you there to confirm and add to the background material was really something

Sorry to hear you got captured, but I guess you faired better than that other China native Ned Smith, who got rough treatment from the Conf Cav.

Take care

Frank Lilley
                                Weeks Falls Mess, Co. B
                                7th ME

or 28th Mass Co. K
                                Frank Lilley
                                Sore Foot Mess

Comment

Working...
                                X