Anybody back yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody back yet?

Excellant weekend at Mansfield/Pleasant Hill. I want to commend all of the men who marched behind me until the wee hours of the night. Hearing your comments as we passed the lignite mines fueled my resolve.
    A special thank you goes out to each and every member of the 15th Texas for your fundraising and marching efforts. Seeing the gash in Danny's head showed me that you were some tough men. I REALLY wanted to have the guys lined up at present arms when you arrived, but decided to let them rest their weary feet due to the upcoming battle.
    Our unit still has a ways to go, but we are on the right road. I am glad you noticed our camp among the masses of tents. What's that old saying? Build it and they will come.

Richard H. Holloway
    Capt., Vance Guards
    19th LA. Vols.

Comment

Originally posted by Alamo Guard
      I think though we need to send a special thank you to the makers of "Boudreaux's Butt Paste", but without the before and after photos.
      As much of a life-saver as the 'smuggled' coffee you shared with me on Sunday morning... :wink_smil

To all of the gallant 15th, it was an honor to march beside you. It's hard to imagine anything that could come close to mirroring what we accomplished this past weekend... There were many, many times it was a supreme effort just to put one foot in front of the other... but to see the Major jogging from one end of the column to the other (on Sunday no less), listening to the various conversations throughout the ranks, witnessing the commitment made by Living Historians from 15 to 60... Inspiration was not wanting by any means.
      One of my favorite moments: As we paused in front of the scarred remains of the battlefield for the photos, I turned to look at one of the cranes as it was gouging away, and saw Coop standing at the fenceline giving it an appropriate single fingered salute... :wink_smil

It was an honor gentlemen

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper
        ...and even get you a new bugle mouthpiece :D
        No!! It was hard enough to steal the first one! :wink_smil

Great event guys. Hats off to the movers and shakers behind it all. Definately worth the 24 hour drive.

Comment

Hello Guys,

I also made the march. I did not fall in with the 15th but I did with the 19th. It was a grand march and I am willing to do it any day to save as hallowed ground as the one we did. I am so proud of myself as well as every one in the 19th and in the 15th TX. As I am gaining on my authenticity I , by doing the march, get a better feel of the real soldier. It was a great event and it was well worth marching 15 or so miles. The fact that men would wear themselves for the preservation of a battlefield is just breath taking... Thanks 19th and 15th TX I do appreciate the men who did the march. As I am not to far away from that battle field it helps me and assures me that I will be able to come back next year and still be able to walk on to the existing battlefield. Thanks again

Pvt. Benjamin Neal Jenkins
          19th LA infantry
          Vance Guards

P.S.

The event was great cant wait for next year.

Comment

Comrades,

Back at my adopted home in Washington state, and finally a little time to check the A/C Forum.

My deepest gratitude and appreciation to all the Comrades who made Mansfield/Pleasant Hill truly unforgettable for me. I will never forget and will always cherish the memories of what was by far the greatest Living History experience of my life. It was wonderful to finally meet and soldier with so many of the great historians whom I had corresponded with. I particularly appreciate the Ground Hornets for doing such a fantastic job of organizing and establishing the march, and our superb regimental command staff for their excellent leadership throughout. Particularly, I express my deep gratitude to Capt. Doug Cooper, First Sgt. Fred Baker, Sgt. Tim Ruyle, Sgt. Mark Timms, Cpl. KC McDonald, and Cpl. Mike Anderson for the stirling lesson in exactly how a crack company command team should operate. Specific highlights from the experience are nearly too many to mention, but a few from the many that stand out are:

-Dress parade: Strong emotion as Capt. Tom Wheeley read the proclamations from the Texas State Legislature and Governor supporting our efforts...And feeling embarrassed that there were none from my home state of Louisiana. Getting chills up and down my spine when Lt. Don Smith presented the regimental colors to Maj. Aufmuth.

-Mail call on Saturday: Patrick Reardon regaling us with the missive from his beloved back in England, and the story of how he had been busted all the way from Major in His Majesty's 24th Regiment of Foot to Pvt. in the 15th Texas Infantry. Capt. Herrick (i.e. Doug) getting choked up while reading about his children in the letter from his wife. Me actually truly getting homesick as I read the letter from my Beloved, and having to remind myself that I would in reality see my family in only four short days.

-Battles: Adrenaline high at Mansfield as we charged onto the field, and thinking about my ancestor, Pvt. James H. Teasley of Co. H, 28th LA Inf., who did the same thing 140 years ago. Taking a hit, and moaning from a mortal wound as I started to pull out my letter from home...Only to be immediately picked up in a stretcher and carried to a nice shady spot to recuperate. Watching the battle at Pleasant Hill with my Dad and niece because I thought we were going to sit that one out, and being astonished when the 15th Texas suddenly appeared in front of me due to a last minute change of plans...Feeling like a shirker; but enjoying the show nonetheless.

-Rations: Gary White and his commissary staff doing a great job. Eating parched corn and not liking it much. Being aghast at the huge burn on Mark Timms' hand when he accidentally grabbed his ramrod while using it as a spit to cook beef...And him being back in ranks with a wrapped hand in less than ten minutes for drill. Enjoying Darrell Robertson's humor while making breakfast, and his passionate discourse on Confederate cavalry equipage. Having no time to cook breakfast on Sunday morning and consigning myself to being hungry for the rest of the march...Only to find that my messmate and good friend Eric Fair had generously made enough for our entire mess, which we wolfed down in about thirty seconds prior to falling in.

-Bivouac: Thinking that we would never get to the camp-site Saturday night. When we finally made it, collapsing on the ground, and being intensely grateful when Capt. Cooper brought me a hunk of cheese. Feeling a little frustrated when I was unable to find much fire-wood...Then suddenly realizing that my forebearers had the same problem, and that realization putting the problem in a whole different perspective. Being amazed when Jeremy Mazur walked up not five minutes later with a huge load of wood, which he must have gone deep into the woods to get. How bright the moon was. How good it felt to put on a dry shirt (thanks Silas!) and socks (thanks Mrs. Lind!). Laughing at "Uncle Tom" Yearby's on-going exchanges with Lt Phil Graf. Laughing even harder at the hilarious jokes of First Sgt. Baker. Freezing, wet, and getting precious little sleep due to heavy dew-fall all night long, despite snuggling up against Tim Ruyle for warmth...But not minding at all, because it was only a small taste of what They had to put up with.

-The March: Feeling bitter irony as Professor Gary Joiner took the photograph of our regiment in front of the ravaged landscape near the Allen House. Watching Danny McCoslin stride along at the front of our column, as though he hadn't a care in the world...And knowing that he was in reality defying Doctor's orders, and that his head was throbbing in pain the whole time. Seeing Maj. Aufmuth run from one end of the column to the other a number of times to check on the troops. My shoes filling up with mud as we marched through the flood at what used to be Chapman's Bayou. Listening to the Lazy Jacks whistle as though they were out for a leisurely stroll in the English countryside, when I was too tired to hardly even talk. Patrick Reardon continuing to march, despite a severely sprained ankle...And then insisting on filling canteens during a rest break; saying "I have to do my bit" though he could hardly walk. Dusty Lind being everybody's uncle and mother hen combined, and he and Jason Reasor keeping us in good health. Kris (a true angel) loaded down with canteens during a rest break. Greatly enjoying the company and conversation of Dave Gager, Jeff Kelland, Dave Turpin, Tim Ruyle, Richard Hale, and others at the rear of Company B. My back going ramrod-stiff with pride when fellow living historians applauded and saluted as our regiment marched into Pleasant Hill. Choking up when the formation was dismissed, and I said goodbye to Comrades who in the space of four days had become like brothers.

In all, it is no over-statement to say that Mansfield was the greatest event in my Living History career...In fact, it was one of the best experiences of my life.

I will never forget it, and will forever cherish the memories of the event, and the friendships of my Comrades. Gentlemen, it was a great honor to march with you.

Cpl. Chad Teasley
            Co. B, 15th Texas Infantry Regt.
            Last edited by Chad Teasley; 04-08-2004, 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
            Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
            Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

To all my new friends from Co. B, 15th Texas Vol. Infy.
              Ever since I returned to London I've been reflecting on the Mansfield event and, in my mind, trying to put into words all the emotions that it created. Without question it was the finest event I have ever attended. Finest not simply for the organisation, which was awesome by any standard; finest not simply for the Cause which, having seen the mine, was worthy beyond description; finest not simply for the quality of the impressions which were true testament to individual dedication, commitment and a perfect illustration that authenticity is not based on dollars but attitude and a willingness to honour those whom we seek to represent. No, finest because of the character of all those involved, both organisers and, like me, simple participants. I'm sure I speak for all my fellow Lazy Jacks when I say that it was an honour to take part and, even with a sprained ankle, it was a hugely rewarding experience and one against which all other future events will be measured. My personal perfect moments were; waking on Sunday morning with frost on my hat and observing the quiet groups around the fires; the march and its camaraderie [Uncle Tom, that's French for comradeship!!] and the march onto the field at Pleasant Hill, thrilling beyond words and, finally, the presentation of the Colour, moving in the extreme [ can't wait for the photographs].
              A deep thank you to all invoved and the Lazy Jacks will be back! Franklin beckons, we'll be there!!!!
              Patrick Reardon

Comment

Originally posted by Tarheel
                To all my new friends from Co. B, 15th Texas Vol. Infy.
                Ever since I returned to London I've been reflecting on the Mansfield event and, in my mind, trying to put into words all the emotions that it created. Without question it was the finest event I have ever attended. Finest not simply for the organisation, which was awesome by any standard; finest not simply for the Cause which, having seen the mine, was worthy beyond description; finest not simply for the quality of the impressions which were true testament to individual dedication, commitment and a perfect illustration that authenticity is not based on dollars but attitude and a willingness to honour those whom we seek to represent. No, finest because of the character of all those involved, both organisers and, like me, simple participants. I'm sure I speak for all my fellow Lazy Jacks when I say that it was an honour to take part and, even with a sprained ankle, it was a hugely rewarding experience and one against which all other future events will be measured. My personal perfect moments were; waking on Sunday morning with frost on my hat and observing the quiet groups around the fires; the march and its camaraderie [Uncle Tom, that's French for comradeship!!] and the march onto the field at Pleasant Hill, thrilling beyond words and, finally, the presentation of the Colour, moving in the extreme [ can't wait for the photographs].
                A deep thank you to all invoved and the Lazy Jacks will be back! Franklin beckons, we'll be there!!!!
                Patrick Reardon

Patrick,

I sure could have used your knowledge after spending over a year as a Liverpudlian. Yes, I do miss the scones. Funny as it may seem, I gave tours to other visiting Americans of local places of interest connected to the American Civil War. Imagine their fascination with the watchtower of the Birkenhead Priory when they found it was also used as a lookout for the Federals watching the progress of the No. 290 "Alabama" being built. Or gazing upon the state seal of South Carolina atop the entranceway to the University.
                And recently, I came as close as marching past you as you set up camp in the field. My bones couldn't handle resting a few hours and trying again as you did so we pushed on that wonderful bright cool night.
                Maybe I will have the pleasure of meeting you and your pards at Franklin. I will have a spot of hot tea brewing if you are in need.
                Thanks for coming over so far to enjoy one of the finest events I have seen so far in my 24 years of reenacting.

Richard H. Holloway
                Capt., Vance Guards
                19th Louisiana Vols.

"The sun never set on the British Empire"

Comment

Working...
                X