Raffle Winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raffle Winners cont.

Rob Westbrook grabbed the gray wristers and John Grimes grabbed the Karin Timour MOC blue and natural CS wool socks. Jon Birket is up next, Steve Sullivan is up for his second pick on deck and Gary Booker is in the hole.

7. US Springfield musket sling by James Owens (jdo@npmhu.org)
    8. Pair of wool socks, balaclava, and a pair of wristers (red) by Karin Timour (see descriptions above).
    9. Pair of wool socks by Pam Lind
    10. Three (3) pairs of Mickey Black socks (one per winner).
    11. Mid - late war federal enlisted waist belt by James Owens (see #7)
    12. First Edition of "One Damn Blunder from Beginning to End" - prize winning new book by Gary Joiner on the Red River Campaign.
    14. Huck Towel by Mike McComas at (www.confederate-tailor.com)
    Last edited by DougCooper; 04-13-2004, 08:59 PM. Reason: update
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Re: Raffle Winners

Since I appear to be up, I'll go for the orchard hill canteen
      Rob Westbrook
      Co. D 1st Minnesota Infantry

Comment

oops I posted before I refreshed the screen. I'll take the gray wristers. Sorry for hte confusion.
        Rob Westbrook

Comment

I'll take a pair of the Mickey Black socks
          Jon Birket
          [COLOR="blue"]Holmes Brigade[/COLOR]
          [COLOR="red"]Independent Volunteers.[/COLOR]
          CWPT

Backwaters, March 2010
          Before the Breakout, Sept 2010

Comment

Sorry about the name

Jon Birket- First Kansas Vol. Inf.
            Jon Birket
            [COLOR="blue"]Holmes Brigade[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="red"]Independent Volunteers.[/COLOR]
            CWPT

Backwaters, March 2010
            Before the Breakout, Sept 2010

Comment

Ok Jon Birket will grab a pair of Mickey's best (2 pair left). Steve Sullivan told me earlier he would take the James Owens Springfield sling so now it is Gary Booker up next, then Lazy Jack Dave Turpin on deck (baseball term for second David) and march logistics magician and confirmed hardcore tick magnet Kris Ruffino in the hole.

8. Pair of AoT wool socks, balaclava, and a pair of wristers (red) by Karin Timour (see descriptions above).
              10. Two (2) pairs of Mickey Black socks (one per winner).
              12. First Edition of "One Damn Blunder from Beginning to End" - prize winning new book by Gary Joiner on the Red River Campaign.
              14. Huck Towel by Mike McComas at (www.confederate-tailor.com)
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

Comment

Hi Doug, I tried to post a PM reply to you, but it appears that you are one popular hombre. Your message box is full.

So as to your question, yes, the PAYPAL address is the correct one. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to contribute. I'll send James Owens your greetings when I see him at our camp of instruction this weekend.

:D
                Rob Westbrook

Comment

Gary Booker took the Huck Towel and Dave Turpin is up with Kris Ruffino on deck and Frank Aufmuth in the hole.

8. Pair of AoT wool socks, balaclava, and a pair of wristers (red) by Karin Timour (see descriptions above).
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

Comment

Balaclava -- what is THAT?

Gentlemen:

I got my sleeve pulled yesterday by a friend who suggested that there may be folks here who don't know what a balaclava is. It's a form of camp hat -- basically it's a tube of wool knit to cover your whole head and neck -- with an opening for your face. Think of it as the gggrandfather of those ski masks that you wore in sixth grade -- but there is one opening for your face, rather than one for each eye and your mouth (like the one in sixth grade had).

They were named that after the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War (Britan/Russia/Turkey fighting it out around what is now the Black Sea area of Russia in the 1850s). British soldiers sleeping in the mountains got frostbitten ears, which then got infected, disabling some of the fighting force and lowering troop strength. The design of this hat was already known and had been printed in several women's magazines of the time identified as a"Protector" or "Templar Hood." Renamed a balaclava, British women knit them in the thousands and shipped them to the troops.

If you've ever had a cold head at night, this is just the ticket -- guaranteed to keep your head and neck toasty in the coldest weather.

This particular one I knit out of brown homespun -- it's not dyed, that's the natural color of this particular breed of sheep. It was "spun in the grease" which means that the wool had minimum processing, retaining the lanolin which gives sheep's wool a water resistant quality. While this won't keep your head dry in a torrent, in a lighter rain it's likely to resist getting wet for sometime. The pattern from this came from a study visit to the surviving original balaclava in the collection of the Museum of the Confederacy.

What about size? Because of the way it is constructed, a balaclava can easily fit a very broad range of sizes, without any alteration. As with all my goods, if you take it and it doesn't fit, mail it to me and I'll alter it to custom fit you for free.

Sincerely,
                    Karin Timour
                    "The Stories in the Socks" Conference on Women in the Civil War, Richmond, Virginia, June 2004
                    Period Knitting -- Socks, Hats, Balaclavas
                    Atlantic Guard Soldier's Aid Society
                    Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Dave Turpin takes the balaclava and Kris Ruffino the federal belt. Frank Aufmuth is up, Matthew Ryan on deck and John Dinkelaker in the hole.

8. Pair of AoT wool socks and a pair of wristers (red) by Karin Timour (see descriptions above).
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

Comment

Hey if anyone can help with Matthew Ryan's contact info I would appreciate it. His e-mail is no good and phone is suspect (directory assistance not much help). Am sending a note to his address but would rather reach him faster.

thanks,
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

Comment

Sorry for the confusion.

I will pick the Karin Timour AOT Wool Socks.

Thanks. My email is mjr234nyu@yahoo.com

Comment

John Dinkelaker took the Timour wristers. Glen Milner, Jim James and Dave Zulinke will complete. All three prizes that are left are with me so winners please confirm your picks and your address. Thanks!

Last edited by DougCooper; 04-19-2004, 11:40 PM.
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

Comment

Working...
                            X