X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mansfield Preservation Raffle Progress and update

Deleted:

Doesn't follow forum rules - Mike Chapman
    Last edited by dusty27; 02-04-2004, 09:36 PM.
    Steve Shepherd
    Veritas numquam perit

Comment

Deleted: copy of above post - Mike Chapman

I would like to think this might be the place to post something pertaining to preservation or the fund raising efforts of some pretty stand up individuals
      looking to do what they can. Apparently I am mistaken.

Sam Doolin
      Last edited by dusty27; 02-04-2004, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Ben - thanks for your interest! All the details are at above posts or can be found at https://www.geocities.com/texasgroun...4/PHill04.html or www.cjdaley.com/Jan04.htm or www.cwchaps.com and click on the preservation page.
        Originally posted by pvtben
        I guess it is you i need to talk to about getting some tickets for the raffle it sounds great. how do i need to send the money is there a limit on the amount tickets i can get. i hope all works out grest.

Ben Jenkins
        19th la infantry
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,
          If a unit has funds, and needs equipment what better way than to spend a few dollars on rafflle tickets? Even If the unit doesnt win, they know their money is going to a great cause regardless. If the unit does win some item, just think how much their unit impression could be upgraded?
          My wife has been in touch with Karen Timor on the socks we are offering for the raffle. It seems they are both on the same page on brand of wool, type of pattern etcc.
          Who ever wins some of these wonderful items shall be able not only to look great but they will have gotten them at a great price and feel proud they helped preserve Mansfield.
          Dusty Lind
          Running Discharge Mess
          Texas Rifles
          BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Deleted:

Colbi, your posts add nothing to this discussion - Mike Chapman
            Last edited by dusty27; 02-05-2004, 09:06 PM.
            Colbi Rosenthal
            Hogg Drivers

Just a sinner trying to change

Rosenthal/Ross 2018

Comment

Gentlemen,

Can we please keep the subject focused on the Mansfield preservation effort? Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Mike, thanks for clearing the irrelavent posts!

Keep us updated, Doug....you're doing fantastic work!
              Last edited by ; 02-09-2004, 09:24 PM.

Comment

"Keep us updated, Doug....you're doing fantastic work!"

Ditto on those sentiments, Gary!
                (I know I've expressed that to you, already, Coop...But it can't be said enough. All of us who are going to Mansfield owe you a huge debt for everything you're doing.)

Respectfully,
                Chad Teasley
                Chaps
                Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
                Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

Important Preservation effort update

Thanks Chad - coming from someone who has already donated 3 times and will be marching 2000 miles from home, it means alot.

Folks I just got off a conference call with some of the leading figures in Mansfield battlefield preservation and we have a plan that will give new meaning to the terms grass roots, national leadership and synergy. Suffice it to say, some impressive legal, environmental and preservation minds at the local, state and national levels are working on this one and all I can say now is "stay tuned." If you can make it to the event to march with us or just be there April 2-4, you will gain a new appreciation that the living history community is an integral part of saving battlefields...indeed, it is becoming an indespensible part. I felt humble and was greatly inspired by the dedication of folks who are working very hard to win this fight, a group we can be proud of. We are just one part and we do not have a monopoly on dedication to save hallowed ground.

If you are on the fence, climb over and be part of something way bigger than all of us...and way more important than the usual event concerns. We are having a resurgence of recruits for the 15th TX but still have plenty of room. But hurry, registration closes this month.

Thanks today to Dan Fodera (Fod), Ernie Steff and Jeff Kitts - their donations pushed us over $1200 in one raffle and with another $350 or more in the other we are closing in on our first level goal ($2000) with 7 weeks to go. March with us, donate, buy tickets, raise money, join Friends of Mansfield and CWPT and write/e-mail your elected reps. Here is a link to an article that appeared today in the Shreveport Times: http://shreveporttimes.com/html/D160...62B73370.shtml

Let's keep it going.
                  Last edited by DougCooper; 02-11-2004, 01:01 AM.
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

Comment

Passing $1500 and latest prize list

Comrades - thanks to donations from Tripp Corbin, Cody Farrel and Mark TImms we have passed both the total value of the goods being raffled (about $1450) as well $1500. Combining that with the quilt raffle on Joe Hofmann's site we now have nearly $2000. Completed quilt photos should be up tonight or tomorrow.

6.5 weeks to go and many good folks are raising funds as well. I can e-mail a flyer to anyone who would like to assist us with working with businesses for donations as well as individuals.

Note: latest prize list as follows:

Remember you do NOT have to be present to win and you now have 21 chances. If yours is a winning ticket we will track you down! For pruchase info go to www.cwchaps.com and click on the preservation then Mansfield link.

$20 buys 5 tickets

Prizes:

1. US Sack Coat and Trousers or CS Tait jacket and trousers by Chris Daley
                    2. Any style shoe by Tom Mattimore
                    3. Four (4) CS Gardner pattern wooden canteens by Sam Doolin
                    4. CS 58 cal cartridge box with Hughes Prendergast and Snow box sling or CS 69 cal Wayne and McKensie copy of the 39 pattern box
                    5. US forage cap or CS enlisted kepi by Starbuck
                    6. St Louis Variant Cincinnati Depot smoothside canteen by Orchard Hill
                    7. US Springfield musket sling by James Owens
                    8. Two (2) camp hats, socks, balaklava, and two (2) pairs wristers by Karin Timour (6 prizes)
                    9. Pair of socks by Pamela Lind
                    10. Three (3) pair of Mickey Black socks
                    11. Mid-late war federal enlisted belt by James Owens

Check out also the beautiful copy of an original CS homespun quilt by Mike Anderson - a separate raffle over on www.skilletlicker.com

See also great deals for preservation (portion of each sale to Mansfield):
                    1. British Import blankets by Waterside Woolens (Kaegy Noble) see example at - http://members.aol.com/theqmstores/newitems.htm
                    2. 5 Mex War and 5 Isaac & Campbell British knapsacks by Ethan Rogers - go to - http://erogers_tarredgoods.tripod.c...dgoods/id9.html
                    3. Various US and CS cartridge boxes and slings or belts by Cary Davisson at Orchard Hill - go to www.orchardhillsutlery.com

Thanks much!
                    Last edited by DougCooper; 02-18-2004, 02:04 AM.
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

Comment

Folks we have passed $1600 thanks to still another donation by Eric Fair (a marcher - donations total $100), Al Schut, John Tylczak and Jack Booda. 397 tickets have been sold. Thanks!

This means that with the over $400 from the quilt we have already answered the call to the tune of $8000 counting the matching grants - 8 acres of land saved from the cranes. CWPT's initiative is for 60 acres.

One of the biggest controversies involved here, besides the fact that the cranes have reportedly dug up artifacts and bones, is that the mining company reneged on a promise to donate 44 acres of very important ground at Mansfield.

Bad move by them....
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

Comment

Mr. Cooper,

If you have certain knowledge that human remains have been disturbed, the Louisiana Unmarked Human Burial Sites Preservation Act (http://www.lcb.state.la.us/legal/chapter10a.pdf) requires that you provide this information to the appropriate law enforcement agency, which in this case would be the DeSoto Parish Sheriff’s Office (http://www.desotoparish.net/sheriff.htm).

Regards,

geoffrey lehmann
                        geoffrey lehmann

Comment

Geoff - information is not certain - originated from a relative of a crane operator as told to a park person - tenuous. I hesitated to mention it at all but the source is reliable.

The key point is there is no atempt to sift the huge amount of dirt scooped up every day for artifacts or remains and soldiers died and were buried on that ground.

Passed your info on to the Friends, who are already talking to the coroner on other concerns.

thanks!!

Originally posted by yipper
                          Mr. Cooper,

If you have certain knowledge that human remains have been disturbed, the Louisiana Unmarked Human Burial Sites Preservation Act (http://www.lcb.state.la.us/legal/chapter10a.pdf) requires that you provide this information to the appropriate law enforcement agency, which in this case would be the DeSoto Parish Sheriff’s Office (http://www.desotoparish.net/sheriff.htm).

Regards,

geoffrey lehmann
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

Comment

Cruised past $1800 today and the quilt raffle at Joe Hoffman's is about $400.

Of note, if anyone wants to buy more tickets for the gorgeous homespun quilt Mike Anderson made, please send checks to his house postmarked no later than March 22. After that he can be reached at the event. Make checks out to:

Mansfield Preservation Raffle
                            C/O Mike Anderson
                            P.O. Box 154,
                            Moroni, Ut. 84646.

On the main raffle (now 21 chances to win) I will be accepting paypal donations up till the 25th. Mail donations should be postmarked no later than March 20 to ensure they make it to me in time. You can still buy tickets at the event if you can find me on the march. Drawing will be Sunday April 4 and you do not need to be present to win.

Once again tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20. Go to www.cwchaps.com and click on preservation then Mansfield for a paypal button to donate or send checks made out to Doug Cooper and addressed:

Mansfield Preservation Raffle
                            C/O Doug Cooper
                            2162 N Sevenoaks Way
                            Eagle, ID 83616

Last note - Adam Cecil is still taking orders for the Brit Import Blanket with $10 going to preservation - see the details at http://members.aol.com/theqmstores/newitems.htm and Ethan Rogers has a few more Brit I&C knapsacks left with $10 going to Mansfield. The run of preservation Mex War knapsacks is sold out.
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

Comment

Comrades we have 2.5 weeks to go and have passed $2500 on the raffles, over $1000 on counted donations and at least $500 from registration, all for Mansfield Preservation via CWPT. Still to count are the donations collected by individuals holding BBQ's, car washes, unit sales, door to door and goodness knows what else, as well as the vendor donations from sales. Our goal is to turn over the money to CWPT at the event and raise more money there. Money is also being raised for Friends of Mansfield, as yet untabulated.

Deadline is approaching for mail in raffle tickets (March 20) and for paypal (March 27) but I will have extra tickets at the event in my knapsack (period contained of course). Drawing is Sunday April 4 at the end of the event.

Most of the raffle prizes are being held by the vendors themselves. Once winners are picked, I will notify the winners in order and the vendors.

BTW - if anyone is avoiding buying raffle tickets because they already own all this good stuff, you can always re-sell it on the forum - all top notch items that would likely last a nano-second or so. :D

Thanks again for supporting this worthy cause. It has been an inspiration to see us step up to the plate for Mansfield and Pickett's Mill, two of the 10 most threatened battlefields in the country. Others are working hard for the other 7 of the 10, including new efforts at South Mountain, Wilson's Creek (back in jeopardy) and Morris Island. Grass roots never had a force like this.
                              Last edited by DougCooper; 03-16-2004, 03:31 PM.
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

Comment

Working...
                              X