Pickett's Mill Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickett's Mill Question

While I don't support modern articles at events such as Pickett's Mill, I am one that loves photos. The great thing about these type of events is that someone is usually commissioned to take photographs for the weekend. But since a few of you have some pics, and I too, did spot a couple federals with cameras in the cornfield saturday, lets get those pics posted!
    Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

I can't post pictures because the image gallery appears to be broken.
      Ryan Burns
      The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
      3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

If you can email them to me I will post them on the WIG website.

trippcor@bellsouth.net
        [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
        [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
        [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I agree with Mr. Cleveland and others in respect to cameras. I was standing next to Ryan when John Cleveland wanted to stomp his camera into the ground. :wink_smil

However, if one or two souls bring a camera and keep it out of sight until the end of a event, why not? we only do this once and recording the moment with your pals makes a keepsake to look back upon. As Ryans said, the DAMN ditch digger and houses along the way intruded far more than a camera in the parking lot. :baring_te
          [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
          [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
          [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
          [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

I as much as anyone respect and desire to have magic moments, but when a ditch digger is roaring and automobiles driving by, I doubt I am disturbing anyone's magic moment by pulling a camera out of my knapsack for 2 seconds to get a quick shot in order to try and share our awesome experience with our comrades who were not able to attend.

That being said, can anyone please figure out how to post images to the image gallery???
            Ryan Burns
            The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
            3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Not a comment on photos...

That stop near the construction equipment should be drawing praise that this site has been saved from the encroaching development. That backhoe and worse have already eaten through other insignificant sites around Atlanta; Peachtree Creek, for example. It should be a call to pay attention to places like New Hope Church - a Priority II battlefield just next door.

I'm glad we stopped where we did. The wolf is prowling the neighborhood.
              Last edited by styler; 06-02-2004, 09:50 PM. Reason: redundancy, readability
              [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

Hello All,

From what I saw of New Hope Church last weekend it looks as if they are bulldozing it over as we speak. I was curious if anyone had any information about the Dallas battlefield. As New Hope Church, Pickett's Mill & Dallas all took place between May 26-28, 1864 I would be curious if any preservation was done over on that end of the line. Take care.
                [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Most all of that line has been built and developed. All tries to preserve that property have failed. Heck Pickett's Mill tried to buy some of the property that now has new homes being built but the owners refused to sell to the State or Friends group. All they cared about was who had the highest dollar figure. Many great entrenchments were bulldozed there.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                  [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                  [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Just a side note. The NC boys at Pickett's Mill met up at Kennesaw Battlefield. Upon arrival I noticed a "For Sale" sign to the adjacent property. It said, "$200,000 an Acre, 42 Acres", and I believe it's zoned residential.

Mark Berrier
                    North State Rifles
                    combinations@northstate.net
                    Mark Berrier

Comment

Mark:

The last time I was over by Kennesaw the year before last, several of the most miserable little briar patches you could imagine were being offered up at $50,000/acre...

Tom
                      Tom Ezell

Comment

There was an article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution several years ago on this subject. It seems that Atlantans will pay top dollar for these properties that back onto the park because no one can build in their back yards. It's kind of a mixed blessing, though. The park service will never be able to afford these properties so at least it will be mansions that will hopefully provide a greenspace buffer to inevitable commercial development similar to that which destroyed the Brushy Mountain Line (now under Barrett Parkway) or that surrounds Cheatham Hill (a vast sea of Starbucks, condos, and asphalt).

ps: I may be wrong but I believe the property that you are speaking of, while historic, was not involved very heavily in the action around the mountain. The truly endangered areas are around Pigeon Hill, Little Kennesaw, and Lost Mountain. Much of this private property is in the hands of older citizens who have held out against development but who knows what will happen when it passes down to their estates.
                        Marlin Teat
                        [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Working...
                        X