Looking to put on an event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to put on an event

Anyone interested in putting on an authentic event in New England? Or of any authentic events in the New England area? These farby events are making me frusterated in reenacting up here.

Much thanks.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]Matt Reardon[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]"River Rat Mess"[/FONT]
    8th Connecticut Volunteers

[B]Executive Director
    New England Civil War Museum
    Rockville, Connecticut
    [url]www.newenglandcivilwarmuseum.com[/url][/B]

Re: Looking to put on an event

Matt~
    As I also reside in the New England area, I can tell you that there are no authentic events up here. You just have to "bite the bullet" and travel. Several years ago myself and a pard tried to develop an interest in authentic events among the reenactors in the area. They took a vote as to what was important to them at events, and the results were extremely disappointing. Their first priority was free beer, followed by a meal, ice, straw, and port-a-johns. :angry_smi Unfortuantely authenticity, historical accuracy, and safety weren't even mentioned. Email me off the board though, there are some authentic alternatives up here.
    Paul Manzo
    Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Quite a few Yankee New Englanders travel quite a distance to participate in more historically oriented events events, including living histories at Antietam and Gettysburg, the Recons, and Burkittsville. It's entirely possible you could have enough critical mass for a 100-participant Yankee living history at some somewhat central location up there, maybe western Massachusetts?

None of the Yankees I've met complained about the lack of beer at any of the mentioned events. :-) Maybe it's just a question of standing up, taking a chance and making a difference? Those who don't act from fear of failure will never know success, etc. I'm full of platitudes today. :-)
      Bill Watson
      Stroudsburg

Comment

Originally posted by riverratmess
        Anyone interested in putting on an authentic event in New England? Or of any authentic events in the New England area? These farby events are making me frusterated in reenacting up here.

Much thanks.
        My Unit, and a few others in New England would LOVE to have a nice FARB FREE event that is both progressive and has a drive of less than 5 hours...
        Having had put on an event in the past, let me warn you, It is a big undertaking, Land, Insurance, ego's, Rations.... having said that I would be glad to help out with this.... I lve in Southern CT.

Shawn Callahan
        Shawn Callahan
        14th CVI Co G

Comment

Sounds like several of you are interested. So why don't y'all get together an built the event you want. That is the only way it will happen. You can't always expect others to do it for you.
          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I'll come park cars for you. New England isn't that far away.
            Bill Watson
            Stroudsburg

Comment

Being that I went to Hign School in Maine.. But live in Kentucky I would attend give me more reasons to visit. Bu I can see the put of wanting more authentic events in New England. There use to be one in the town I lived in and I use to think that they were top notch until I started in this hobby ion Kentucky.

Thanks
              Daniel MacInnis
              Thanks
              Daniel MacInnis
              Adair Guards
              Commonwealth Grays
              [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

howdy pard
                Im in NC right now in the 82nd but live in VT and i always wanted to set up a farb free event. Ill be out in june of 2005 we should plan something for next summer. Im all for it if you are really interested let me now and we can talk and get more people in to get this started. Pick a site to hold the event
                you can email me at
                pvt_dirty@yahoo.com
                or my cell is 910 286 6847 - or 910 904 1990
                your pard
                tyler Goodrich

Comment

Greetings all!
                  My unit is based in Connecticut and for the past 2 seasons we have been putting on a garrison impression at a 100% restored 3rd system fort built in 1852. The location and setting is absolutely amazing! especially when manned with accurate reenactors, it is a total time warp. We have been toying with the idea of getting other quality units in there so that we could garrison the fort with a full size company, complete staff and all. Our chairman lobbied for years so that we have exclusive rights to put on events at this state park. It really has potential to be a really excellent authentic event. What's really unique is the fact that it's an authentic location. We won't be reenacting a battle of so and so that originally occurred in Virginia. This location was actually garrisoned by a CW unit of regulars during the war. Any interested parties contact me via e-mail and perhaps we can organize something for next year, barring approval of the park officials and our unit board. This could really be great!
                  Pierre King
                  27th Conn.
                  1st Minnesota

Comment

I'm in Stoughton, MA. If this becomes a reality, I'll be there.

Also, if there's any way I can help(being 16 and jobless), let me know.

Chris Curtis
                    Chris Curtis

Comment

So if were interested in working something out, how does one go about organizing an event? I'd be our first.

Much thanks.
                      [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]Matt Reardon[/FONT][/SIZE]
                      [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]"River Rat Mess"[/FONT]
                      8th Connecticut Volunteers

[B]Executive Director
                      New England Civil War Museum
                      Rockville, Connecticut
                      [url]www.newenglandcivilwarmuseum.com[/url][/B]

Comment

Why don't y'all do some research, set guidelines, and draft an event for your area? Just because you don't have epic battle history in New England doesn't mean that you must drive hours on end to attend a good event. I suggest you begin small. Get some boys together and set up something like a drill or living history event (or, hell, combo). Get some good info on a New England regiment and portray them for a weekend as they were mustering and organizing for the call to campaign. Just a suggestion, and I'm sure you have some options.
                        Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Steps to a successful event

Here is the formula we used for Pickett's Mill and it worked well.

This assumes,as your previous post indicate, you already have a site and a general idea of what you want to protray.

First do the research. Find out what units were there, what they did, what they ate and so forth. No detail is to small. You may find some great little tidbits that you could incorporate into your event.

Next decide what type of event you want to do. Will this be a Living History? Will it be 3rd or 1st person? Immersive, Semi-Immersive or not at all?

Next setup guidelines for the event and registration that covers all those that may attend Military & Civilian. As part of creating your guidelines you also need to set up your general command structure. This gives people points of contact if they have questions. We have found down south individual registration works best due to all the small messes and independant folks that like to come to events. It is a good idea to post this information to the web for folks to see. a website also helps draw interest from other area of the country and makes folks think you are serious about the event.

Next plan your event schedule. It does not have to include every little detail just an overall outline of things that will happen.

Then decide if your event will have some additional purpose such as raising money to help the Fort on a specific project. We had two for Pickett's Mill, build a split rail fence around one of the fields and to help finish a period cabin. We raised a good bit of money and the effort helped draw interest to our event.

Lastly do a smaller version of what your are planning as a run through. It will give you a chance to see what works and what doesn't. It will also help earn you some credits as an event coordinator.

I hope that helps.
                          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Sounds like Pierre King and the 27th Connecticut have a viable site for a public high-quality living history.

What helps tremendously in putting these things on is a real partnership with some kind of venue with an interest in history, like the fort. But you really need to consider all that "partnership" means. In our case, it means both the living historians and the site get something of value from the activity. That might seem simple -- both a historic site being actively interpreted and Civil War living historians would seem to have a wide common ground of interpreting history. But it can go awry.
                            If a site sees itself as the kind of place that interprets history to three or four people at a time, while its staff is involved primarily in research, there could be lukewarm interest in a Civil War weekend that "threatens" to bring in hundreds of people to trample the flower beds, scratch the floors, poke into places they aren't supposed to go and otherwise upset the calm and tranquility.
                            If a site sees itself primarily as a tourism draw and isn't particularly interested in the precision of its historic interpretation (Oh, I don't know, want an example: The Wax Museum in Gettysburg?) then it might find itself not interested in hosting a living history group that frets about whether the unit they're depicting had bulls eye or smoothside canteens in 1863.
                            If a site is serious about history and eager to interpret it to masses of people, it may have reservations about turning the job over, even for a weekend, to reenactors. Many reenactors have no objection to accurate history, but do not feel compelled to depict it themselves. And some have bad habits -- swinish partying, re-interpreting history to fit their feelings rather than the facts, etc. I know of places where reenactors are no longer welcome because of damage to artifacts caused by after-hours partying. I know of other places where reenactors are not welcome because they didn't know their history.
                            You also get into a competition thing sometimes with those who run a site permanently, who may know a lot about the site, and who suddenly find themselves confronted with people who have incredibly deep knowledge about one slice of stuff, to the extent that they can go through the museum displays and say "Nope, that's a bayonet for a Lorenz, that unit never had them, what's it doing with that musket?" It's that bottom rail on top thing and it can upset people. But you'll have to simply be aware of it, because they won't say why they suddenly think maybe the whole thing needs to be thought through again, and do you have this much insurance, and wouldn't 2011 be better?
                            So the very first step in putting on something like this, unless you have access to a farm or something where you can do your own thing and invite the public, is to find an appropriate site with an agenda that will complement yours. What you do and what they do can go together, on a limited journey. There's a common destination.
                            Then, they will want someone in charge. They will want someone who can deal with the site and speak for the living history folks. They don't want to deal with a mob. But whoever stands up to be counted for THAT job then runs the danger of being accused of wanting to be The Great I Am by all the other living historians who didn't really want the aggravation of the post, but don't want anyone else to look like they have any clout either.
                            Then they will want a program, so that they can tell the public "At thusly and such you will be able to see this, this and this at these three locations on our site." That's where you really get down to what's in it for you guys and what's in it for the site.

That may all sound daunting, but it really isn't, it's McDowell, Fort Delaware, Antietam NPS last fall and any other number of events where history-heavy living historians got to do their thing.

There's more. A partnership needn't be solely event-based. It's entirely possible that a site where you do a public interaction thing that helps the site would also make itself available at another time (like off season for them) for you to do your own learning workshops -- including full immersion experiences so you can prepare yourself to better interpret history by trying it on for size for a weekend.

This is by no means the only way to go. But something like this, where folks have carefully identified the opportunities and tried to stay within the areas that a partnership benefits both partners, does work. Like much that we do, it simply requires folks to stay focused on the main mission and not get bogged down in personalities and irrelevant agendas. Job One is to identify an opportunity, Job Two is to make it happen.

Hope that helps a bit.
                            Last edited by billwatson; 06-18-2004, 08:41 AM.
                            Bill Watson
                            Stroudsburg

Comment

How does one start an event?

Practice Binge Drinking for 3 months prior to announcing it, and then enroll in AAA classes to start the day after the event.

Pards,
                              S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Working...
                              X