Living History at Wilson's Creek NBP Aug 9-10, 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living History at Wilson's Creek NBP Aug 9-10, 2004

The Army Of the Trans-Mississippi Battalion will sponsor an immersion Living History event at Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield Park August 7-8, 2004. We will depict the pro-southern Missouri State Guard (MSG) as they are encamped along the banks of Wilson’s Creek just days before the battle on August 10, 1861.

For those that participated in the WIG’s event as Shiloh, then you will be doubtless familiar with what we are trying to accomplish. From the time we form the battalion and begin movement along the Old Wire road towards our encampment until the final dismissal formation, we will be living as soldiers. There are roles for civilians and interaction with the civilians located at the Ray House is part of the over all scenario. Civilian roles are very limited and information regarding this will come later when exact roles become defined.

We will raise 3 companies to comprise the battalion. We have not selected Captains, but once selected, they will begin active recruiting to fill their ranks. More information to follow as it becomes available, including the names of the company commanders, impression guidelines, registration form, and scenario information. We will charge a registration fee to cover the rations.

The NPS is very excited at hosting this living history event. This is a very large scale living history and has never been done at Wilson’s Creek. We are very honored that the Chief Park Ranger approached the AoTM Battalion about sponsoring this event. We have an excellent opportunity to show how we can serve as historical interpreters rather than costumed individuals firing weapons for demonstrations.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have questions. Or e-mail Frank Aufmuth at campjacksonboy@aol.com .
    Last edited by dusty27; 12-26-2003, 08:32 PM.
    Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
    Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
    Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
    The Tater Mess
    The Widow's Son Mess
    WIG's
    [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Re: Living History at Wilson's Creek NBP Aug 7-8, 2004

Michael,

Will there eventually be a website dedicated to this event?

Ken Cornett
    Buckeye Mess
    Last edited by dusty27; 12-26-2003, 08:32 PM.
    Ken Cornett
    MESS NO.1
    Founding Member
    OHIO
    Mason Lodge #678, PM
    Need Rules?

Comment

Ken,

Quite honestly, I had not even thought about setting up a website for this event. It is a good idea and will be discussed at the AOTM meeting in January.
      Last edited by dusty27; 12-26-2003, 08:33 PM.
      Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
      Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
      Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
      The Tater Mess
      The Widow's Son Mess
      WIG's
      [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Comment

Yes there is a website

You can either visit the MainWebsite:

or you can go straight to the guidelines page for Wilson's Creek:

There is a registration link however registration will not open up until at least next week
        Frank Aufmuth
        Frank Aufmuth
        When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Kupsch
          Ken,

Quite honestly, I had not even thought about setting up a website for this event. It is a good idea and will be discussed at the AOTM meeting in January.
          I was wondering sir? If the AoTM is pondering anything on Westport this year in and around Westport. Perhaps a Little Blue or Independence or something. Being as though a Mainstream event is due in May1/2 over in St. Louis. Was hoping for a Kansas City connection. Like the Wilsons Creek Though sounds great.

Lee Hook
          3rd Mo./Crowleys Co
          Warren Hook
          First Sibley Mess
          New Madrid Guards
          WIG

"...And to Missouri we
          Extend both heart and hand
          And welcome her a sister
          Of our Confederate band
          Tho surrounded by oppression
          No one dare deter
          Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
          Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

Re: Living History at Wilson's Creek NBP Aug 9-10, 2004

In our excitement to do this living history we made one oversite we should fix. It is the National Park Service that hosts events on their sites. Apologies to John Sutton the Chief Park Ranger.

Also to answer an earlier question. Due to the lack of a sutable site nothing was mentioned about it at our meeting the other day. It is unlikely anything will happen on the Western side of Missouri by us. With the Bleeding Kansas event in June (Guidelines, Registration all all relevent websites to be posted very soon) and the Wilson's Creek living history in August we have our work cut out for us.
            Frank Aufmuth
            Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Originally posted by Campjacksonboy
              In our excitement to do this living history we made one oversite we should fix. It is the National Park Service that hosts events on their sites. Apologies to John Sutton the Chief Park Ranger.

Also to answer an earlier question. Due to the lack of a sutable site nothing was mentioned about it at our meeting the other day. It is unlikely anything will happen on the Western side of Missouri by us. With the Bleeding Kansas event in June (Guidelines, Registration all all relevent websites to be posted very soon) and the Wilson's Creek living history in August we have our work cut out for us.
              Frank Aufmuth
              Thank you sir for your quick reply
              Lee Hook
              Warren Hook
              First Sibley Mess
              New Madrid Guards
              WIG

"...And to Missouri we
              Extend both heart and hand
              And welcome her a sister
              Of our Confederate band
              Tho surrounded by oppression
              No one dare deter
              Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
              Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

Wilson's Creek is still on

Apparently there is a rumor floating around that this one has bit the dust.
                However this is not so.
                Get yerselves registered for the forage.
                almost forgot. Presently companies will be commanded by Mike Kupsch, Mike Patrick and there will be a third out of Arkansas. Will we have a fourth? interested potential company comanders may apply to the subscriber. (Ah-hem) any of you from the 15th Texas Preservation March interested?
                Frank Aufmuth
                Last edited by Campjacksonboy; 04-07-2004, 09:50 AM.
                Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Re: Wilson's Creek is still on

[This Ground Hornet will be there!

QUOTE=Campjacksonboy]Apparently there is a rumor floating around that this one has bit the dust.
                  However this is not so.
                  Get yerselves registered for the forage.
                  almost forgot. Presently companies will be commanded by Mike Kupsch, Mike Patrick and there will be a third out of Arkansas. Will we have a fourth? interested potential company comanders may apply to the subscriber. (Ah-hem) any of you from the 15th Texas Preservation March interested?
                  Frank Aufmuth[/QUOTE]
                  Tom Yearby
                  Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Re: Wilson's Creek NBP Aug 9-10, 2004

Just checking, but there's no Federal LH portion planned is there, for this date in particular?

Have civilian, will travel,
                    John Pillers
                    TSM
                    John Pillers
                    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Originally posted by John of the Skulkers Mess
                      Just checking, but there's no Federal LH portion planned is there, for this date in particular?
                      I be a'comin', too... and can go either way... Fed, Cornfed, or Hostile Third Party/MSG...

Not to dilute any of the effort, but it would be nice to get the "1st Iowa" together again one of these days... I've got a pair of britches with the seat and legs wore slap-dab out that I've been saving if this impression should ever come around again... ;-)

Tom
                      Tom Ezell

Comment

Originally posted by John of the Skulkers Mess

Have civilian, will travel,
                        John Pillers
                        TSM
                        No, but Holmes Brigade is portraying Sigel's 3rd Mo. Vol. on June 12-13. Drop me an e-mail if you are interested.

Charles D. Hoskins
                        Charles D. Hoskins
                        [URL="http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com"]http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com[/URL]
                        [URL="http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/"]http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/[/URL]
                        Member, Company of Military Historians
                        Member, CWPT
                        Washington Historical Society
                        Board Member, MCWRA

Comment

Haven't heard anything on this for a while. Is everything still on track? Can someone post an update on how things are coming along?
                          Michael Comer
                          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Everything is going fine for Wilson's Creek everything is on track.
                            If you have not registered please do. We are expecting/hoping for at least two companies of infantry and a section of artillery donated by the park.
                            This is going to be an excellent living history and an unforgettable weekend

IF ...

people come. I mean its kind of hard to pull off a battalion with 5 people. If Wilson's Creek was in Tennessee we would be beating you off with sticks. However it is not and the Trans-Miss feels powerful lonely these days(pun intended).

If any of you need the contact information please let me know.

Sincerely,
                            Frank Aufmuth
                            Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Re: Living History - Aug 9-10, 2004

I received from Mike Kupsch an e-mail info packet. I'm sure Frank has it too.

Suppose anyone interested can get it from me:
                              skulkerjohn@yahoo.com

Or post your addy here,
                              John Pillers

P.S.
                              Heard of Gen'l Sweeny's (sp?) museum?
                              Its across the street.....
                              Last edited by John of the Skulkers Mess; 06-03-2004, 06:33 PM. Reason: need info?
                              John Pillers
                              Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Working...
                              X