Living History at Wilson's Creek NBP Aug 9-10, 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Living History at Wilson's Creek NBP Aug 9-10, 2004

I believe the planners are trying to get a head count by July.....

A reminder,
    John Pillers
    John Pillers
    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Re: Living History at Wilson's Creek Aug 6-8, 2004

One cool thing I've seen with many events is not letting people know what to expect. But I can give you the beginning and end without destroying the middle.
      We will be arriving on Friday so whenever ya'll arrive someone should be there that knows something. I hope (hope being the word) to be there by Noon on Friday Just rest assured I won't leave yall hangin longer than necessary. Mike Kupsch will also be there.
      That being said we will camp at a staging area Friday night. Reveille on Saturday will be 5 am after breakfast we will march out.

Once we arrive at the demonstration area we will set up camp.
      Tents are invited and encouraged (for once). The MSG evidently captured some at Carthage back in July. A-Frames of the proper dimensions [6'x6'], tent flys, blankets all appropriate. A big NO! to Mountain man tents, shelter halves, and sibleys. If you bring a tent expect company. Here's a cool tent quote from Wilson's Creek:

"Dr. Samuel H. Melcher, assistant surgeon of the 5th Missouri, rode over the former Southern cavalry camp spread across Sharp's fields. He discovered that some of the tents there used upended, bayoneted muskets for poles, the canvas being "caught in the flint lock." (Piston & Hatcher, Wilson's Creek, 247)

These tents were found in the area where we will be camping. It would be cool if we could do that but they don't make bayonets the way they used to. I have a spool of twine for any shebang endeavors anyone may have.

We will be busy all weekend after we arrive (not going to spoil the middle).

On Sunday a few more demonstrations. Around 2 pm on Sunday the "general" will be sounded and we will quickly strike tents, pack the wagon and march back to our Cars and this will be the end of our Living History.

Because of a shortage of Ammunition the park is allowing us to bring our own to help supplement what the park already has (Yes I know National Parks usually don't allow this):

"One option to solve the ammo question is to have each man bring 40 rounds
      of blank ammo for their own piece. Blanks should be made with single
      cylinder with folded and glued end, or tied end.

.69 cal./12 gauge 75 grains FFG
      .50-.58 cal. .65 grains FFG
      Below .50 cal. .50 grains FFG"
      (e-mail from John Sutton, Chief Park Ranger)

Any ammo you bring should be bundled or put in a bag it will be kept in the company ammo box until issued. Bagging it or bundeling it will make it easier to return.

You will have food if you registered. Mike Kupsch wants all registration by July 26. This link has the guidelines and registration info.

Well that's all I can think of let me know if there are any questions (directions, etc.).

Frank Aufmuth
      AoTM
      Frank Aufmuth
      When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Concerning tents: If we are gathering at a staging area on Friday and marching to our camp area on Saturday; if one brings a tent are they going to have to hump the canvas, poles, stakes etc. on Saturday morning to wherever we go or will there be some way to get them there and set up (pretend wagons)? Might make a difference in deciding what cover, if any, to bring for the weekend.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Good question.
          You will not have to hump the canvass or poles. They will be thrown in the wagon at tour stop #5. Our Quartermaster and Commissary will be there to watch over anything you leave there as they will be busy "slaughtering" the beef. The down side is as hard as we tried we were not able to get a team of animals to pull the wagon so it will stay stationary all weekend. On Friday night we will be separated from the wagon. But once we arrive at Tour Stop #5 it will all fit into the scenario from setting up camp at the beginning and the "general" at the end.
          After we march back to the cars at the end of the weekend you will be able to pull up to our former camp and throw your stuff in your car. That part of it (picking up your tent) will be a 15 minute inconvenience. At the latest we should all be on the road home by 3 pm.
          Frank Aufmuth
          Frank Aufmuth

Comment

There will be no pretend wagons at this event. There will be one reproduction "RoyBuilt" farm wagon that has given the AoTM good service at Athens '02 and also has proven it has a good top speed with the AoP at TAG.

Phil Campbell
            QM/Teamster
            Phil Campbell

Comment

To anyone that is coming out there:
              Does anyone have a period or period looking round ball bullet mold of any caliber? I have a .32 just that it is made of aluminum.
              Frank
              Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Frank,
                I have one coming in on monday. It will be in your hands on Thursday the 5th.
                Mitchell L Critel
                Wide Awake Groupie
                Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Just wondering if the NPS has set any guidelines as far as how we can carry our cartridges. I know the event guidelines mentions a variety of things we can have that can be used for carrying cartidges, but I wanted to make sure that the park was not going to insist on cartridge boxes for safety reasons. Since I don't have any pre-war accoutrements, I wasn't planning on bringing a cartridge box and don't want to be surprised when I get there. Same question regarding caps.
                  Michael Comer
                  one of the moderator guys

Comment

Mike
                    The only concern the park seemed to have was loose powder. Such as powder horns. Use what you were planning to use. If the park makes a liar out of me I have extra loaner gear and I'll set you up.
                    Frank
                    Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw
                      Just wondering if the NPS has set any guidelines as far as how we can carry our cartridges.
                      Mike,
                      We've done several living histories at WC, and I've carried cartridges in canvas bags and even in my pockets without objection. Caps I usually put in a vest pocket.
                      As Frank says, only stipulation in the past has been no loose powder.

Usual protocol was we were issued just enough cartridges for each demonstration, just prior to forming up. This, however, was done when the park supplied the cartridges and caps.

Comment

Wilson's Creek AAR

After Action Report for Wilson's Creek National Battle Park Living History

Just after bedding down Friday night near the cemetery about midnight, the Missouri State Guard was awoken with the order to pack up and get ready to move. After a nice 1/2 mile march we arrived at the Ray House. Here we were ordered to drop packs and bed down for the night.
                        The morning began early at around 5, with roll call and learning of Scott's Infantry Tactics. After about an hour or so of this Mrs. Ray and her children and some neighbors came out and found an army encamped on her yard. Our Lieutenant offered to pay for some food as we had been separated from our supply wagon. She agreed and we were treated to a helping of biscuits and corn bread, and a little coffee. After breakfast we held elections for rank. Several of our Sgt.’s had been killed in action at Carthage. The rest of the morning consisted of drill, and then a hardy 2 or so mile march through the park to our next site. Upon arriving we were reunited with out baggage and supply wagon. Also there waiting was the Inspector General of the Missouri State Guard. He promptly inspected our arms and issued a few new ones to the unarmed ones among us. After this we went straight into drill again. After a lunch of bread, corn and boiled beef, we began work on various details. One of the details was to make cartridges for the upcoming campaign. Another was to cut rod to make canister rounds for the Artillery, and another was to find some trees for firewood. After a few hours of this we had some more drill. For supper we had a rather disgusting stew of boiled beef fat, tomatoes, and onions. That evening we were set to cleaning our weapons and bedded down early.
                        The next morning we all awoke to very damp and cold weather. The dew was heavy. We all huddled around the fire to take in the warmth. We then were set to another commissary experiment of pumpkin, potatoes, and onions all mixed to make a hash. The potatoes tasted like onions, the onions tasted like pumpkin and the pumpkin had no taste what so ever. Yet again we were set to drill for an hour. Then upon return to camp we went back to making canister rounds, this time we set to making the powder bags and sabots, and finishing them off. We were then told to pack up again as we were going to be on the move that afternoon to Springfield to attack General Lyon and the Federal forces. After we had all packed up we were treated to a wonderful lunch of bread and watermelon. Yet again we drilled for about an hour. After a short rest we loaded up the wagon and headed down the Wire Road for Springfield.
                        Mitchell L Critel
                        Wide Awake Groupie
                        Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Enjoyed meeting old friends and making new ones at Wilson's Creek. The weather was great, the event was a good one. Thanks to everyone.
                          Tom Yearby
                          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Working...
                          X