• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GACornbread
    replied
    Re: Prelude to Chickamauga

Hello Again:
    I want to apologize to Mr. Coley Adair for mis-spelling his name. Coley, my excuse will be my age 51. It was my senior moment. I was just so happy after the event. Where did my brains go?
    Sincerely,
    Houston White
    Tenth Texas, WIG, 42nd GA, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Tenthtexas
    replied

It was a very good event and my hat is off to Kiev, Tripp, Robbie, Nate, Coley and Hunter for this event. They did a great job at planning and execution.
    The scenario was good and the land pretty good, except for the all of the fences and unseen barb wire. But it was very workable.
    I am glad that everyone had a great time. I know that I did as well. Sometimes things are not as we all see them. It sure seemed like we caught the Critters with no protection. We did come up on them after they had a lengthy fight with our other two companies. How many were shot up by then, hard to say. And if Nate's company had been there, I am sure with my company coming in the open field, we would have had a heck of a fight to remain in tact.
    I do know that from reports, the Critters knew where we were and how many we had at all times. I am telling you, I smelled them around and could not see them and that is not a good feeling.
    Houston, I believe you were shot by our own battalion pickets coming back from your water excursion.
    The Critters did not take off after the fight either. They even asked if we wanted to continue and we made the decision to abandon the field.
    I know from our side it seemed like we won the world. But somewhere herein the details and accounts from both sides lies the truth.
    Great event again and look forward to the next.

Art Milbert
    Last edited by Tenthtexas; 10-24-2006, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Cornett
    replied

Gosh,

I'm glad my belly smacker at the ford on Sunday morning DID NOT make a Yankee top ten list! :embaresse

Mess No. 1 thanks you all for having us. It was our last event for the year and boy, what a way to go out!

Leave a comment:

• boozie
    replied

I had a great time, except for that wonderful 2 1/2 hour trip on the Atlanta bypass. High points included the interaction with the owners of the home, raiding the cellar looking for food and also trading with them. The company was very good, Mr. Petersburg runs a top notch show, it was a real pleasure. The best part for me was the sunday morning march, an unknown enemy location, with a fast paced march, the company then rushed a possible enemy location. It was pretty cool seeing the company running down the dirt road, I can't explain it, you just had to be there, but that was my moment.
    Being with pards from Indiana and that 'Buckeye State' :confused_ is always a good time.

It was worth the drive down, thanks to Tripp and everyone who did all of the work to put Prelude on. Hope we raised a few dollars for the Homestead.

Leave a comment:

• GACornbread
    replied

Yeeeeha Comrades!
    Prelude to chickamauge was an absolutely fantastic event! I have not had so much fun in the woods, since I was a child. First, I want to extend my personal thanks to the event coordinators, planners, hosts, officers, non-com's and all the privates. Here's some of my personal moments:
    -moving through the woods with pickets, looking for FEDERALS.
    -hearing the sounds of their lookouts and pickets moving through the woods looking for us.
    -Moving while staying hidden, searching the forest for movement and staying out of the open areas. (I grew up on a 500 acre Farm, it was sold in 1981). I felt at home, doing what I loved to do.
    -watching birds, listening to birds to see if they were moving because of Federal movement.
    -Finding John Cleaveland's horse blanket as we passed where some Federal scout spent the night on Picket. Wondering how he could not find his blanket; because it was too dark or because he was in a hurry to great out of that spot?
    -Watching the confederate officers in action. This was absolutely the best tactical movement by infantry across country by the WIG and the GVB.
    -Watching Kiev scout, mind our squads positions, and keeping communication with Pickets and main body.
    -moving around the fords and catching the federal infantry ambush on their flank, where their horsemen could not get into action to help them. We had out-flanked the Federal ambush. By using the ravine the Fed CAVALRY used to ride past our positions scouting for us but not seeing us.
    -standing picket in the dark looking at shapes trying to discern movement.
    -sitting in the woods in the rain looking for the federal MOVEMENTS.
    -visiting the southern homestead, resting and cooking. Then moving back to the top of the hill.
    -throwing down my traps in the saturday evening twilight in the woods, only to find that my full canteen was now empty because the cork came out as I unloaded.
    -getting permission to go re-fill at the goat farm. Trying to find a comrade to go with me. But, no one would volunteer. So I made way carefully along the goat pens in the darkening twilight. The dogs were barking. Fortunately, I saw three union cav faces looking over the big honeysuckle bush, I raised my enfield & shot right above those faces from 50 YDS and ran back to my lines. I was thrilled I avoided capture, but thirsty. I spent the night without enough water. When the rain started, I packed up quickly. Got permission to go for water. When through our pickets and up the hill. In the rain the feds must have been asleep. I got to the water. And made it back to our lines of pickets and up the hill to camp. Stealing water under the yanks noise in the rain, my private victory.
    -Hiding in the rain on picket looking for Yanks. We searched by pickets for the federals down the hill across the fords. When the final attack started we sat and listened as the battle increased. Then we moved by the flank until we could see the cavalry Horses with horse holders. We charged up hill from their rear and captured nine horses and holders. The remainder (except for one whose horse ran off) mounted quickly and raced up the hill only to find the escape route covered by confederates and a volley of death. Sgt M. Clarke hands me Corey Adair's beautiful Spencer after his comments to the cavalry. I lovingly wiped off the breech, slung my enfield and carefully used Corey's weapon to guard the troops as we walked them up the hill. They tried to escape but we were carefull and stopped it. When we asked them to dismount, I could tell we had asked more than some of them could do. I know they were hurting inside at being totally outflanked, surrounded and basically embassed. When it was over I lovingly handed over Corey's beautiful spencer to the cavalry. Thanks Corey! I fought with you at picketts Mill, but never against you. Thanks to all the cavalry, I never saw a single Cavalryman until we captured your horses. Oh and... Hey Verne, where were you this weekend:)
    - Nate, I missed you, but I wish you all my best for you and your future spouse!

It is always the simple things. This weekend it was the skillful tactics our officers used. We privates never knew what was up, because they were afraid we would be captured by cavalry. I felt like I was under Stonewall Jackson.

Thank YOU ALL! It was worth every effort you individually put out.
    My special thanks to Tripp, Art, Kiev, Robbie and Col. Hunter. Thank you Sgt Hicks and Sgt Clarke. And finally, thanks Mike for putting up with me and being my skirmish partner. Hey James Wooten, if you ever want to game some CW battles, I am available! Corey, Thank you! To hold your loaded spencer, It was the first time I have ever held such a weapon in battle.

What a grand time it was, it will be in my memory for a long, long time! At least til alzhiemers clogs my mind.

Houston White
    Last edited by trippcor; 10-23-2006, 02:39 PM. Reason: Add signature

Leave a comment:

• Kiev Thomason
    replied

Gents,
    I am glad you all had a great time. I know many folks worked long and hard to bring this one up.I have to say you all did a good job...anything that was asked of you you did without grumbling.It was one of the best tactical events I have been too. The Critters ....wow guys. Thanks to those of you who were in the woods 20 yards in front of me who didn't blow off my baby maker when I went to get rid of my tea!! I will forever be thankful to you. Nate as always you did a great job. We had no idea where you were at most of the time. Thank you to all who came down.
    Last edited by trippcor; 10-23-2006, 10:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewMartin
    replied

Originally posted by Federal Bummer
    Was that the entire confed force or just one company we trapped and routed on sat afternoon?

My top ten list of the event

10. The WEATHER

9. The Ducthman's trade for a large ham, then having no way to carry it

8. Marching

7. Being a scout and flanker for the company

6. Laying out Friday night with a clear sky and great pards

5. Serving under Lt Petersburg

4. Watching, counting, and setting the trap above the valley sat and leaving the only way out: A fast advace parallel to our line, allowing us to rake their ranks with fire. Petersburg strikes again

3. My detachment holding our fire until 5 confederate picketts nearly walked up on us, giving them quite a shock when we opened up, and then pushing them back down the hill along the tree line.

2. As the same men retreated to the rear of their line, hearing the sound of spencers leting them know their line of retreat has been cut

1. Escaping the larger enemy force to get to Chattanooga by charging through one of the fords, in fours, EARLY sun morning before the ford could be blocked

I'm glad at least you didn't include me taking a tree to the face in an effort for dry wood Saturday night Steve!

I had a great time and cannot think of a better event to close out this year for me. The land was awesome and never really knowing where the enemy was always adds that rare bonus dimension to an event! Great job everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Woodburn
    replied

This was a great event. Thanks to event organizers and all their months of hard work and planning to pull this off. I had a great time in Capt. Milbert's company. Highlights:

The large property and being able to move around.

Being sent by myself by Lt. Corbin Sat. afternoon to see how many Federals were at the top of a hill and then finding all of their infantry. Skedaddling back to our main column to let Major Poythrus know their infantry was found and our column would be seen if it continued on it's current line of march. The Major went around through the woods to flank them and then we pushed the Federals off the hill.

Foraging at a local home for food and making a fine soup from the findings.

Sharing some coffee with four pards at post number 1 during Saturday night guard duty.

Seeing a man in the darkness approaching our camp about 50 yards away around midnight Saturday, waking Sgt. Hicks, then going to find the spectre. We found no one, but when I brought the guard relief out, the men at the post said they heard twigs snapping and a horse ney in the woods close by just after the time I saw the spectre.

Sunday morning, catching the Critter Company off guard. Capturing them, their horses, their Spencers and ammunition. I was ordered to collect their weapons and at one point had two Spencer carbines and a Spencer rifle. We were ordered to guard the Federal cavalry and when they cavalrymen were told to dismount and walk, the pain on their faces was priceless, especially Guy Musgrove. With cocked Spencers pointed at them, some just couldn't bear the pain, quit the event, and cowardly rode off leaving their other Federal pards behind. Ya, baby! Priceless!
    Last edited by Matt Woodburn; 10-23-2006, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mtn.Guerilla
    replied

I myself would like to echo the sentiments of others on this event. I had a complete blast! Also this being the end of my second full year of CWR,and my first true authentic event, it was truly icing on the cake. I would also like to thank all of the men in the Federal ranks for a stealthy and authentic experience, and to our officers for their superb leadership. I have never seen that amount of men move that fast and while making almost no sound. The stunned look on the Confederates picketts face, as we blatsed thru the ford in the creek right past them on Sunday, that's PRICELESS ! Thanks for a bully of a time !

Leave a comment:

• Federal Bummer
    replied

Was that the entire confed force or just one company we trapped and routed on sat afternoon?

My top ten list of the event

10. The WEATHER

9. The Ducthman's trade for a large ham, then having no way to carry it

8. Marching

7. Being a scout and flanker for the company

6. Laying out Friday night with a clear sky and great pards

5. Serving under Lt Petersburg

4. Watching, counting, and setting the trap above the valley saturday, which left one option for the beseiged foe: A near complete rout parallel to our line, allowing us to rake their ranks with flanking fire. (I'm telling you it was beautiful) Providing us with an open ford and a clear path to the south end of the farm. Petersburg strikes again

3. My detachment (Ewing, Coble, Dutchman, Tipton, Brinkman) holding our fire until 5 confederate picketts nearly walked up on us, giving them quite a shock when we opened up, and then pushing them back down the hill along the tree line.

2. As the same men retreated to the rear of their line, hearing the sound of spencers leting them know their line of retreat has been cut

1. Escaping the larger enemy force to get to Chattanooga by charging through one of the fords, in fours, EARLY sunday morning before the ford could be blocked. Allowing us to complete our objectives.
    Last edited by Federal Bummer; 10-23-2006, 11:03 AM. Reason: Mis-spellings

Leave a comment:

• trippcor
    replied

Thanks to everyone that made it to Prelude. I know I had an "outstanding" time even with the cold, Sunday drizzle and Critters running about everywhere. Everyone from the overall commanders down to the privates on both sides did an outstanding job. From an event organizers standpoint we achieve just about all the goals we hoped for. Robby is still calculating the final expenses but we should be able to make a nice donation to the Harris Homestead.

Again thanks to everyone that attended. Great job!! Now one to Fort McAllister in December.

Leave a comment:

• BrianHicks
    replied

Outstanding event.

We eluded the critters well enough that they could not provide a definitive count of us to the Infantry Commander.

We also stayed on the move often enough so as to deny the critters the chance to gather solid info on our disposition, which in turn denied Mr. Petersburg the opportunity to steal a grand flanking movement around us.

We first captured a Horse Blanket.

The next day... we captured the horses!

Getting the drop on dismounted Cavalry is rare... getting the drop on them, and capturing their horses is priceless!

Leave a comment:

• pipthelimey
    replied

I'd like to echo Steve's comments. I had a blast at Prelude. I learned a lot of new lessons which is my most important criteria for a good event. Namely,

1) don't underestimate the mobility or firepower of a Spencer-armed Critter company.
    2) Refill water every chance you get
    3) Chancing upon a homestead with foraging opportunities: Priceless
    4) It reinforced the need to keep up with your stuff in the dark.
    5) I finally understand the need that the original veterans felt to make little coffee fires at every opportunity.
    6) At distances and during the night, you see movement much better then color. We obviously had our Saturday pre-noon pickets well placed and still because a herd of deer started grazing about 50 yards away.

7) Cattle in the night look disturbingly like Critters. Overheard: "I thought there was only a company sir, but now it looks like there are about 50 of them!"

Thanks to all who came and planned for a great time.

Andrew Jerram

Leave a comment:

• Federal Bummer
    replied

Just wanted to get a shout out to Robbie, Tripp, Herb, Kiev and the rest that made this event happen. I had a outstanding time and cannot wait to do something like this again. GREAT JOB!!

P.S. Hurrah for Lt Petersburg!

Leave a comment:

• trippcor
    replied
    Some Final Notes (Directions and such)

Prelude to Chickamauga will take place at the William Harris Homestead, located in the northern tip of Walton County, Georgia. Walton County is roughly half-way between Atlanta to the west and Athens to the east. Here are some directions:

For those coming from TN and Northwest GA via I 75:
    Take I-75 south to I-285 East toward Augusta and Greenville (exit 259)
    Take I-285 to I-85 North toward Greenville (exit 33B)
    Take I-85 North to Ga 316 East (Athens Hwy)
    Take Ga-316 to Ga 11 (approximately 23.6 miles down 316)
    Turn right on to Ga 11 toward Monroe
    Once you cross over the Walton County/Barrow County line Harris Homestead will be .30 miles on the right.
    Parking and check in will be at the Windstream business (formerly Alltel phone company) parking lot located .4 miles south of the Homestead site.

For those coming down I-85 South from the Carolinas:
    Take I-85 South to Ga 316 East (Athens Hwy)
    Take Ga-316 to Ga 11 (approximately 23.6 miles down 316)
    Turn right on to Ga 11 toward Monroe
    Once you cross over the Walton County/Barrow County line Harris Homestead will be .30 miles on the right.
    Parking and registration will be at the Windstream business (formerly Alltel phone company) parking lot located .4 miles south of the Homestead site.

For those coming down I-20
    Take I-20 to GA-11 the Monticello/Monroe Exit (Exit 98)
    Turn on to GA-11 heading north towards Monroe
    Go Approximately 20 miles to the Windstream Business (formerly Alltel phone company) Parking lot on the right. This is where registration and parking is located

Registration will take place on Friday, Oct. 20th in the Windstream business (formerly Alltel phone company) parking lot. Windstream is located at 3375 Hwy. 11 N., and is roughly ˝ way between Monroe (to the south) and Winder (to the north). Windstream is on the eastern side of Highway 11 and is adjacent to Ella Doster Road.

Registration will be open from 6:00 PM until 11:00 PM. Those who cannot arrive within that time frame will need to contact Robby Mitchell (see contact info below) and give an approximate time of arrival. Parking will be in the Windstream lot and an adjacent pasture. Horse trailers will make use of the pasture. You will be shuttled to your camp from the registration site.

Some rules to remember:
    1. No alcohol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. There is the chance that some cows will be in the pastures where we will be maneuvering - avoid bothering them as much as possible.
    3. Since this is a working farm all participants are asked to close any gates that they open.
    4. Make sure to turn off any water sources that will be used during the weekend.
    5. You would be advised to refrain from drinking water out of the streams.
    6. Do not cut live trees (with the exception of “junk” undergrowth such as privet hedge).
    7. If you obstruct roads you will be expected to remove the obstructions before the end of the weekend.
    8. There are a few old and dilapidated buildings on the property. Please avoid further damage to these structures as the property owners have future plans for their renovation.
    9. We will be using Rammers. However Officers and NCOs will ask anyone they feel might be unsafe not too. If you are told by and Officer or NCO not to use your rammer don't argue just follow their order.
    10. If you are captured your ammo and food are fair game for the enemy. All other items are off limits.

There will be some spectators (probably no more than a handful) at the log house. The homestead is open for a few hours on Saturday for tours. Spectators will not be in the areas where we will be camped or maneuvering. You may see an occasional farm employee in a truck.

There may be some interaction around the historic home and out buildings. If there is please remember to be careful and don’t damage anything. We are trying to help preserve the site.

We will attempt to wrap things up by no later than 11:00 AM to give everyone ample time to return home. Due to the nature of this event leaving early will be almost impossible. Anyone traversing the property is open to capture or harassment. If captured the enemy is not required to let anyone go. The disposition of prisoners is at the sole discretion of the overall commanders.

It is strongly recommend everyone get dinner Friday before settling into the event. Rations will not be issued until late Friday night or early Saturday morning at the discretion of overall commanders for each side. There are several restaurants in Winder a few miles north of the event site. We would also suggest the Campton Restaurant (short orders) about 2 miles south on Ga. 11. They have huge portions.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the event and are honored that you are participating. It is our hope that you have an exciting and fun weekend.

Respectfully,
    The Prelude to Chickamauga Event Staff

Contact Info if you have questions or concerns:

Robby Mitchell - Overall Event Coordinator
    rgmitchell@mindspring.com
    (770) 554-6586 (home)
    (770) 466-8685 (work)
    (404) 316-0285 (cell)

Tripp Corbin - Registration and Website
    trippcor@bellsouth.net
    (678) 442-0150 (home)
    (404) 861-8588 (cell)