Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaker Village AAR

Hello,

Speaking of AAR's, how was Shaker Village? I wish I could have been there. Oh well, hopefully I will be ready for the next one.

Oh, any pictures?

Thanks,
    [FONT="Georgia"]Casimer Rosiecki[/FONT]

Re: Shaker Village AAR

We had a good time even with the weather. Keiv Thomason and Robby Mitchell along with some help from the rest of us Georgia folks cooked a grand BBQ for Saturday night consisting of about 140lbs of pork, pickled eggs and beets, cucumber salad, pototoes, carrots, and onions. It was a amazing feast. Even more amazing was that it all got cooked even with the rain. We were even able to work in Art's amazing fire works show between showers.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Here a few pictures:

During the Speeches on Sat. Morning:

During the Flag Presentation on Sunday:

The participation was handicapped by this particular weekend being extremely wet. The Saturdy up there, was teh wettest day in Kentucky's recorded history. I beleieve we had a total of about 26-28 participants.

The weather, and competeing with the pweder burner at Perryville two weeks later, impacted on our numbers.

But all will agree... those who attended, had a greta time!
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

The citizen gents in the first image are wonderful to see! What a nice set of fellows (and the ladies look wonderful, also... great job!)
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Originally posted by ElizabethClark
          The citizen gents in the first image are wonderful to see! What a nice set of fellows (and the ladies look wonderful, also... great job!)
          Identified to the best of my ability, first image, front row.
          Mr. Hicks, Mrs. Troxel, Mr. Sorchy, Mr and Mrs Craddock, Mr and Mrs Caudell

The fireworks were lovely-I'm always partial to them in real life. We eschewed the BBQ, as some of our number are Grahamites in period and Adventists(and thus vegetarian) in real life, for the delights of the Shaker dining room.

The low numbers spoken of above were of course military numbers--I'd estimate easily over 100 civilians roaming the place.

My drunken husband-for-the-event (Jim Bruce) bribed the doctor and got into the army, only to fall into a stupor in the line and be put out. No bounty to spend for me :(

Always a pleasure to see the Witesman's marvelous personal collection, as well as the Emerald Zinna Collection on display. One learns so much from originals.

The Melodians new shows were quite entertaining, and will be seen again at Perryville, with some additional acts.

Mostly the rain cut into our time, as we dodged from building to building. Thankfully, it seemed to hem up all the rowdies in the West Family Dwelling for lots of song and dance on Saturday evening late. And that would be where we stayed :D
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Here's my AAR: (It's kind of long.)

September 29, 1861

From the beginning, it looked like there would be a wet weekend. I could have predicted it, just from the twinges in my knuckles and other joints. My niece, Melinda Trent and her husband, Henry had come down from Frankfort to look over the land that my sister Rose and I had inherited from our father when he died with the possibility of purchasing it from us. Unfortunately, Rose had to be in Lexington to tend to her daughter so she had left after we struck a deal on the land. We are both relieved that someone else, and someone else in the family, will be tending to our land from now on. We have just become weary of tracking down renters or farmers to take care of it and worrying about its security.

The Trents graciously agreed to spend the weekend with me to share in the excitement of the recruitment of men for our Kentucky defenses. Rose is a staunch Unionist so she didn’t think she’d be missing much. The weekend promised a lot of that excitement but then the rains set in. There was still a lot of activity and excitement but the weather really made it so we were viewing it all through a fog of drizzle. Friday night there were terrific storms…a prediction of the fireworks the recruiters set off Saturday night. Before the storm we had eaten a fine meal at the Trustee’s house at the Shaker Village. I ate so much, I didn’t think I’d ever be hungry again.

Saturday morning we rose fairly early. The sky, of course, was overcast and it was still raining steadily. Melinda and I had planned to make blue cockades for the men in support of Kentucky’s impending secession. We had the materials and were very willing to supply quite a few cockades or rosettes for the boys. I’m afraid our skill at cockade making was in need of practice—we ended up with, after about an hour’s work, one cockade and one rosette. We had to enlist Mr. Trent’s help with getting our needles through some very tough cardboard! Occasionally the rain would desist for a while and the sun would threaten to come out, our hopes would get up that the weekend would be salvageable, and then it would rain more.

We knew when the speeches were to be given, and where, but somehow, we missed the political speeches that morning. We rushed down with our pitiful handful of cockades to find some young secessionists to give them to and I ended up dropping fifty percent of our proceeds into a mud puddle. We did find a young fellow receptive to our remaining cockade, a Master Whit Barr, who graciously allowed us to pin it on his lapel. The next day, I noticed he had moved it to his hat. We luncheoned on handfuls of peanuts and apples while watching the recruits learn a drill.

Part of the excitement of the weekend was the entertainments! There was a traveling troupe of actors, dancers and singers there with their own portable theatre. The theatre was the cleverest I’ve ever seen, outside a brick and mortar edifice. The stage was complete with a red velvet curtain, dripping (and I mean, literally dripping—with rain water) with gold fringe. One of the comedians used the rainwater as faux tears when he pretended to cry by wringing the curtain to allow the rain to flow out! They had a pump organ over to one side and a small orchestra consisting of a bass drum and cornet. The stage also had painted wings and backdrops.

We decided to see an early performance because we were afraid that later on the weather could be worse and deter us from going. The singing was quite funny and the recitations were even funnier. They sang quite a few satirical songs about the US and sang that catchy ‘Rose of Alabama’ song. Folks were joining in from the audience.

At 2:00 I had a meeting of my ladies’ group so I left the Trents to themselves for a while. The weather looked pretty fair at that time. While I was at the meeting, later I found out, my niece and Mr. Trent took a walk down the turnpike. She said it was so sunny she took her parasol and wore her silk bonnet. She was that confident the weather had changed! At about the time they got as far down the turnpike as they had planned to go, the bottom dropped out and soaked them. She only had time to hide her bonnet and parasol under her cloak to protect them from the rain. In doing this, she exposed herself to a soaking by the rain! I worried that she had caught a cold because for the rest of the weekend she would be hot and then feel cold, alternately.

While I was at the meeting I heard that the rain from the theatre tent had drenched part of the audience when it came through the roof.

When I returned from the meeting, Melinda was busy trying to dry out. Later we decided to eat again at the Trustee’s House due to the possibility that the planned barbecue might not be a dry proposition due to the leaky tent. It was nice to see friends and acquaintances at the Trustee’s House also enjoying the wonderful food.

We heard the fireworks exploding and walked toward them, speculating on what strange salts and minerals were making the various colors. Then we attended the late performance of the Melodians. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much! It was well worth the price of admission and really added a festive air to all the activities of the weekend.

On Sunday we heard the men gathering for their drill again and also listened in on the Shaker service and the service being held in the theatre tent. Before we knew it, we were overcome by the new soldiers marching down the turnpike toward the east. We were able to witness the presentation of a flag to them.

I bid my niece and nephew a good trip home to Frankfort. We were all relieved that the weather promised to be better for them to travel home.

It was great to see so many familiar faces at Pleasant Hill and get to visit for a while on Sunday afternoon with some people I had only corresponded with. A couple of my friends were sporting their rubber overshoes purchased from Carter and Jasper and I think all the rest of us envied their dry feet.

Patricia Miller Knight

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

I have been asked via e-mail to post an image of the Widows and Orphans Fund table, so here it is:

We actually raised a good amount of funds, which will go to a legitimate Widows and Orphans Charity.

Many thanks to every one who donated items for the table, as well as money for the charity.
              Brian Hicks
              Widows' Sons Mess

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

The Widows and Orphans table looks awesome! Being a Brother myself, this is a really neat concept! I would love to have a period apron! Is someone making these?

I am just curious are all of the men in the photo real Travelling men, or are they "reenacting" this as well?
                Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

Jeremy,

We're all the real deal. I kind of hope there is'nt anyone out there pretending for the purpose of an event. On an interesting note, pretending or the wearing of emblems by non-masons was actually illegal here in Indiana up until the 1970's or 80's.
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

In these pictures, all of the Aprons were painted by Bro. Patrick Craddock. Pat has a collection of several period Aprons (1750 to 1870) and photos of a hundred or so other original, painted Aprons. He eoither reproduces an Original design, or uses originals as an inspiration.

Some of us have read period accounts of such tables being set up at fairs and other Civic events, and though that the scenario at Shaker would be appropraite.

In the two images were the men are not wearing Aprons, the fellow in the Black Wheel Hat (Nicky Hughes) is nto a fellwo Traveller. (You'll note, in the image in which Aprons are worn... he is not wearing one).

Here's one more picture (this is the one Wendell took as an Ambrotype):

Brian Hicks
                    Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Does Bro. Craddock make these for sale? If so, how do I contact him?

I would love to have a copy of the pic in black and white to add to my wall!

I also like the Tiled floor cloth! I did not notice it the first time I looked at the picture! I just thought it was a table cloth! This is a really excellent touch! I am just wondering do you gentleman hold meetings and have a "Travelling lodge"?
                      Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

I believe Bro. Craddock has one apron currently for sale...other than that he does not generally make them as a commercial venture. A few of the non painted aprons were made by me, including the copy fo Albert Mackey's apron that can be seen on the tallest fellow in the bacl of the last photograph. I got to see Mackey's original in the House of the Temple in Washignton DC in August and it is a delightful piece, quite unusual.

Another brother and mysef also made the floorcloth to use for outdoor degrees here in Indiana. The fellows from Hiram 7 have been known to do work "in the field" from time to time, so we do have a sort of traveling lodge 19th century lodge on occasion.
                        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                        [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Bro. Jeremy,

Contact me off board to discuss aprons. I can be reached at: Craddock64@aol.com

Although the men pictured in the photos on this thread are from various Grand Jurisdictions, there are seven of us that are all members of Hiram #7, Franklin, Tennessee. We have a "Historic Degree Team" that performs the MM degree as a traveling Lodge, in the field, using the Charter of Hiram #7. We have done this four times in the last three years and are looking for opportunities to keep holding such a degree. We have worked hard to make the degree as authentic as possible within the confines of Grand Lodge requirements. The best degrees we have done were inside an old barn. No luxurious trappings, but LOTS of friendship and Brotherly love. I'll try and dig up some photos of our "Historic Degree" lodge room.
                          PATRICK CRADDOCK
                          Prometheus No. 851
                          Franklin, Tennessee
                          Widows' Sons Mess
                          www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Originally posted by PumpkinHeadFed
                            Jeremy,

We're all the real deal. I kind of hope there is'nt anyone out there pretending for the purpose of an event. On an interesting note, pretending or the wearing of emblems by non-masons was actually illegal here in Indiana up until the 1970's or 80's.
                            Here in the state of Georgia also.We all have walked the walk.

Cheers!
                            Kiev Thomason
                            Kiev Thomason
                            a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                            WIG
                            Armory Guards
                            Forest Park Lodge #399
                            Forest Park GA.

Comment

Concerning a 'Travelling Lodge', and to add to what Bro. Craddock has stated.

Grand Lodge Jurisdictions are followed, and all by-laws are adhered to. Special Dispensatipns must be granted before a Charter can be moved, etc. (which is what we have done, as described by Pat above) therefore we do not have a true 'Travelling Lodge' or 'Military Lodge' as was done during the Civil War era.

At events, we may gather as Brothers, but we do not open an actual lodge.
                              Brian Hicks
                              Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X