X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Perryville AAR

Man, I love this hobby.
    Anna Allen
    <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
    [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

On Thursday Oct. 4rth myself and Edwin Santana of The Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums (Stonewall Brigade) set out from Norfolk Virginia to pick my son Levi Herring (Also LHFD) to head to the Perryville event. We were invited to the event by our good friends in Medich's Midwest Battalion.

The trip out was pretty good despite the rain we passed through in West Virginia. Upon ariving at the event the weather would proove to be just about as perfect as you can get this time of year in the hills of Kentucky. It was a chilly at night but not super cold. Each day temps warmed up quite a bit by 11am to near perfect re-enacting weather.

We pulled into registration a little later than planned (around 3pm) as we had spent Thursday night in a hotel in Shelbyville and stoped at a few antique stores on the ride to Perryville. after parking the car for the weekend we decided we would head to sutler row and check out a few of the great vendors that were present. After checking out their wares we played a few tunes at the end of Sutler row. As we decided to wrap it up and head to camp we heard some Yanks playing in their camp and decided to head over to meet them before the event realy got started. We played a few tunes with them in their camp and decided we would have a more formal Jam outside the Sutler area Saturday night.

Now it was starting to get dark and we needed to head back over the hills and across that muddy little stream and real steep hill again. I know everyone who was there knows exactly the one I am talking about... The one with the single board laying across it doing absolutley nothing. Once we made it to the top of the hill we started into the woods where it seems to me the majority of the CS army was. We passed a few Cav Camps on the way. Ran into a few pickets. We finaly found Medich's Battlion in Camp just on the edge of the woods towrads the back of the CS Camp.

When we arived in camp a few of my old.... And I do meen OLD buddys from The Liberty Hall Volunteers were in camp so we layed out bedrolls in their area of camp. As the night went on more and more LHV streamed into camp. As my good friend John Wickett pointed out the last time we were able to get so many of the old timers together was way back in the 1900's! So we sat around the fire and caught up and then it was off to bed. Revellie would come early and we knew we need our rest for what was expected to be one hell of an event.

It did not take long for me to fall asleep despite the chilly temps. It seems to me it took even less time for The 1st Sargeant to wake me up saying it was time to sound the Revellie. As I pulled myself out from under the covers reluctently I could hear the drummers from the battalion behind us beating something..... We fell into line to start our Revellie Sequence and then was told WAIT do not start yet it is only 4:30! . Those Drummers who beat off early robed me of an hour of sleep! Shame on you. Now the Bugles set in as well. It seemd the event was starting a little early. We went over and warmed ourselves by the fire and ate some corn cakes and fixed some baccon. At 6am we fell back in and sounded the Revellie.

I am not sure what time it was but we were orderd to beat first call, sound the assembly and to the colors. Once the Battalion was formed a dress parade was held. Not long after that we were order to form the Battalion again. We had know idea where we were heading to but we knew we would soon see the elephant as we could hear musketry off in the distance ( Battle of Pottsville perhaps?) We marched 3 miles mostly on a small road. Well, the battalion was on the road but we seemd to be marching in a ditch most of the way. It was still a good march though. We had a wagon with us as well as a large group of Cav and of course Medich's Battlion. We finaly went into a line of battle along a the top of a fairly steap ridge and layed down to await the approaching Yankees. We were there perhaps 30 minutes or so and the Yankees attacked. I could not see much from where we were behind the lines but I know they pressed hard on the main front and our right. Yankee Cav charged up the hill on our right flank but were repulsed by The Liberty Hall Volunteers and our Cav. That much I did see. The Yankee Infantry must have attacked pretty hard on our front as well. I am not sure how many times they charged but they eventualy pushed us off of our defensive position on top of the ridge. We withdrew back the way we had aproached and took up a new line behanid a gate. The Yankees must have reorganized as well as they soon continued their attack. They must have sufferd heavy casualties attacking through the gate as their assault was halted and they withdrew from the field of battle.

We then formed again and started the march back to the main event site. Upon ariving back in our camp we had a short amount of time to prepare something to eat... More corn cakes, a little hardtack and some baccon. Then we formed for the afternoon battle. As the Army came together we stood to the side of the road and played a few tunes and were joind by our fellow musicians from the 33rd Alabama. As the Assault began we were soon seperated from Medich's Battalion. We made our way across the field towards the fight. We halted along a ridge and decided we would halt there and lay down as we recieving a great deal of enemy fire . The battle was in full swing and we were lost! In my opinion this battle was not nearly as good as the smaller fight we had earlier in the morning. After the battle was over we still could not find the Battalion ( It seems they had switched flags right before the battle had started and we were unaware) so we headed back to camp on our own.

It was starting to get close to the time we had set up for the adult fife and drum jam outside of the sutlers so we headed over that way. This turned out to be a great jam and we played for close to two hours I would guess. The music was very good and a decent size crowd gatherd and watched us play for sometime. This was a high point of the event for sure. To every one who was at that jam Bully for you! A good time was had by all. It was nice to meet the Yank musicians. They were all very good.

After the Jam my son wanted to head over to the dance... You do not have to say it.. I know....But it has been along time scince I have been to an event that even has a decent dance and this being a fairly mainstream event I said what the hell. I know all you guys saw the ever so many attractive ladys running around. So we went and danced with what seemd like all the ladys of the South. We had good time at the dance as well. I want to thank all the Ladys who danced with us Virginia boys. You all are the finest and nicest group we have come acorss in a long time. Thanks for making us feel so welcome.

Now it is off to the Minstrel Show! Being a huge fan of period music this was most certainly a high lite of the event. I had never seen a Black Face Minstrel Show but have read about them and know all of the music. The Alendale Mellodians sure did a fantastic job. Their performance was almost exactly the way I had imagined a Minstrel Show to be. They told jokes, danced and sang songs like Uncle Ned and Old King Crow. Not only was there show very authentic but their theater provided an extra touch.

Once the minstrel show was over we head back to camp over the muddy stream and up the steep hill..... Revellie would come early in the morning. But hopefully not too early this time!

At around 5:45 the 1 Sarge woke me up. We assembled the Field Music. This morning found the whole CS Camp silent... Untill we started our sequence starting with Three Camps. We held another dress parade that morning. Then it was off to Battalion Drill. We drilled for perhaps an hour or perhaps a little more. After Battalion drill we took a little break and then formed the field music to march out of camp and work with the young drummers of Medich's Battalion for a bit.

We formed for the Battalion and joind the rest of the CS army to march to Sunday afternoons battle. This was another high point of the event. Our Battalion marched at the rear of the army and I could see the entire CS Army snaking along the road with horse drawn guns and wagons. We marched at the head of Medich's Battalion playing patriotic tunes.

We were halted durring the march and informed of the dead horse. We were not far from where it laid. I straind to get a good a look but did not see the horse. I am pretty sure it was to our front though. The march resumed and we passed by a large group of period Civilians ( Oh those beutifull Southern Belles) We marched past playing Dixie. The army snaked past the ever growing crowd of spectators untill we arived at our stageing area. There we were joind once agian by our friends from the 33rd Alabama and we played Field Music as the Army prepared for the grand assault.

When the orders were given to advance we went into Dixie once again and the whole CS Army stepped off in perfect order. This was a fantastic. We advance pushing the Yanks back with ease. We made our way through 2 tall fields untill we came to a road with a rail fence. Our Army had halted there and were taking heavy fire from the enemy. The Yank Line began to waver a little and I knew it would not be long before we would jump that fence to press the enemy harder. We played Hell on the Wabash and sure enough up and over went our boys. We fallowed. As we reorganized I was hit by an enemy ball in the stomach causing great pain and suffering which I am sure caused a disturbance along the line. My fellow band mates dragged me a little to the rear where I laid in great pain as death slowly over came me. I died in my pards arms.

After my death... Well there is not too much to tell.... I was dead.

I think Perryville was great event and it was what it was. I knew it would not be a hardcore campaign event but rather a large mainstream event with a campaign twist. My expectations were not to high and I enjoid myself. For those of you who have not figured this out that is the key. Make the event what you want it to be and do not let the little things bother you. HIGH EXPECTATIONS OF AN EVENT will lead to certain disapointment.

I was able to re-eunite with some long time friends, camp in an authentic camp , eat authentic food, we marched at least 6 miles on Saturday not including Saturdays afternoon action, faught a great battle on Sunday and played a ton of ok music.For me that is enough to make the 700 plus mile trip worth it.

Too sum it all up.

The Excellent

Even though my son is vet of quality events such as Franklin, Port Republic and Rich Mountain I always get a kick at watching him. He is growing into one hell of a living Historian!

The US-CS Field Music Jam Saturday Night

The Minstrel Show

A large National event with much better impressions than I had expected. I only saw two or three really bad impressions up close

Talking to Eric ( Forgert his last name at the moment) in the parking lot after the event. He is truley a Fresh fish ( First event ever). Hearing his stories about his adventure back in time and how he wants to become as authentic as possible was good news to my ears.

The Good

Saturdays March to the Battle
      Saturdays Battle

Sundays March to the Battle
      Sunday Afternoons Battle
      Working with the young Drummers Sunday

The Bad

When the event ended I realized there so much more to see at the event than what I saw. It had been a long event for us and even though I was pretty worn out and my left knee was hurting real bad I always hate leaving an event. It has always been hard for me to jump back to real life. We were the last to leave the parking lot.

The Ugly

That damn muddy stream and steep hill from the Sutlers to CS camp!

Not related to the event itself but rather some of the posts regarding this event. Everyone knew this was not going to be an EFBU. It was what it was and I think just about everyone can say they liked at least one aspect of the event. Sometimes the bitching I see on this fantastic board depresses me. Yes I like EFBU the best but once in a while it is good to get a large event of better quality than most of the national events I have been too. It is great too see that large events canbe held with out the bad impressions like we saw in the old 125th days. It is rather apparent to me that impressions are improving. Perhaps not the point that most of us on this board would like to see...But at least I can go to a huge event like Perryville and look at it as a farb fest.

I also want to say to some of the new comers to this Forum.....Bad stuck up snotty attitudes are not what the AC, Progressive, Campaigner and Community is about. A true Authentic Living Historian is about researching and working to make his or her impression better. Taking that knowledge and sharing it in the classrooms and with general public. Preserving our endangerd battlefields and helping others fellow re-enactors who may or may not have seen the light. The name calling and fighting has got to stop. That is just not professional. Plain and simple. Sure we like to have our own smaller more authentic events but from time to time I enourage the AC community come out attend some of these better larger events. It is apparent that many of us did for Perryville.

All in all I think for a national event it went over very well. The modern food vendors were set up pretty far away from the majority of the event. Perhaps a little cIose to the living history area. I did not see any huge CS camps full of A frames and Wall tents. Flys were in pretty heavy use however alot of the guys were under the stars. The wagons and horse drawn guns were a nice touch. Event though some people may not be happy with the event as whole ( Which I am having a hard time understanding) You can not tell me that a single one of you did not have a MOMENT at Perryville.

I want to give a shout out to all the fine people we met and old friends we saw at the event.

My Hat is off to Medich's Battalion for being great hosts.

To our good friends in the PSL who made the trip out from the east. You guys are great.

To the Cavalry guys we hung out with for a bit Friday Night. 3 Cheers for Texas, Alabama and Tennesee!

To all the fine Southern Belles who danced with us Saturday night.

The Boys in the 33rd Alabama

The US Field Music

All of our bandmates from Medich's Battalion

Do any of you guys know where the Allende Mellodians went? Hopefully to Virginia!

To my pards in The Stonewall Brigade.... You should have been there!

Last but not least I want to thank everyone who organized this BIG event. All the Volunteers who gave up there time to make the event go as smooth as it did. Of course I want to thank all of my fellow re-enactors and living historians who travelled from all over the country to converge on the small town of Perryville.

Here are some links I came across with some pictures and videos of the event.

And of course The Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums page at

No Perryville pictures there as we did not bring a camera with us but some fine pictures and videos none the less.
      Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

I guess I was just confused by the sign at the entrance to this portion of the AC.

Authentic Events
        Authentic events only to be discussed here.
        Sub-Forums: Future Events, Events of 2007, Events of 2006, Past Events
        I wasn't at Perryville and am not speaking about the appearant quality of this mainstream event. I simply see this this discussion as being symptomatic of the increasingly mainstream nature of the AC forum. What particularly caught my attention was a discussion over in OZ trumpeting Perryville as an example of :
        Perryville this last weekend proves that the A/C side of the Hobby and the Mainstream side of the Hobby can get along. These rude comments by some or finger pointing by others does not hold water. I am a mainstream reenactor with the Big Gun, Big Cooler, and Big Tent, Did I have a fun weekend at Perryville, no I think great is a better chioce of words. In the future when we get to pointing fingers at each other just remember one word.
        Perryville. Fun time by all.
        Then a few posts later the same author points to this thread on the AC as confirmation of his views that we should all just get past our authentic standards and look for ways where mainstream and hardcore can play together still more often.

Perryville may have been a fine mainstream event with some actual authentic efforts, but it bugs me that the AC has become a forum for trumpeting the virtues of big tent and big cooler events. Is the purpose of this forum simply to make the mainstream a little less farby or is it to seek genuaine quality? Is a mainstream event without "too much visible farbiness" really our goal or do we actually seek even higher quality events with genuine authenticity and no farbism?
        Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
        1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
        Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I had fun and it was worth the trip. See you all soon. :)
          Frank Perkin

Comment

Yeah, I'd say some of you don't get the point of my earlier post. I wasn't complaining about the event. I went to the event and knew what to expect. (It was actually better than I expected.)

I was complaining about quality of the comments.

"First time bacon eater" is an expression. It implies a green, fresh fish campaigner. Someone who has finally climbed off the fence long enough to burn a rail. I'm sorry that you boys have never had salt pork before, but if you participated with the AoP or WIG or Columbia Rifles at events, you would have gotten salt pork or salt beef so much you'd be saying "Again!!"

If you camped without a tent but within the structure and logistical support area of the mainstream camps, you were camping mainstream. I saw a camp near the "village" that was a bunch of bedrolls on the ground. It was in the mainstream area. Was this your camp? Did you have dug sinks or portajohns? We had sinks. There is photographic proof. (The ladies in my office have enjoyed that shot quite a bit, btw.)

And, I, too, am glad you are improving and progressing. But, you need to support progressive units. You need to climb off the fence. Give 100%. Why spend all that money are the better gear and uniforms and then spend all your time in a place that doesn't appreciate it?

It is a challenge, boys and girls. Take it up. Prove yourself to yourself. Take the next step.

trying to remember if I have an auto signature set up or not,

so here goes nothing ...
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Oh, almost forgot. was that a authentic flashlight being used for musket inspection in the authentic camp saturday morning? :D
              Jay Cantieri
              2nd Tennessee infantry Co.C
              Dirty Mucket Mess
              Blacksmith

Comment

Well I don't much care what Perryville was or was not. I went with good friends, I sat around the campfire with good friends, I campaigned with good friends and I thoroughly enjoyed myself with good friends. Have I been to better, more authentic events? Yes. But to me the trip was worth the 2200 miles I traveled and I had a great time.

My hat is off to those who participated with the Army of the Pacific. As always they do it right and we had a great time.

Much of the rest I care little about.

See you around the campfire.
                Jerry Gouge
                1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone
                  If you camped without a tent but within the structure and logistical support area of the mainstream camps, you were camping mainstream. I saw a camp near the "village" that was a bunch of bedrolls on the ground. It was in the mainstream area. Was this your camp? Did you have dug sinks or portajohns? We had sinks. There is photographic proof. (The ladies in my office have enjoyed that shot quite a bit, btw.)

And, I, too, am glad you are improving and progressing. But, you need to support progressive units. You need to climb off the fence. Give 100%. Why spend all that money are the better gear and uniforms and then spend all your time in a place that doesn't appreciate it?

It is a challenge, boys and girls. Take it up. Prove yourself to yourself. Take the next step.

trying to remember if I have an auto signature set up or not,

so here goes nothing ...
                  And this forum is for those folks who have gotten off the fence! So, I hope the moderators will take note of that.

Jim Butler
                  Jim Butler

Comment

Originally posted by csa blacksmith
                    Oh, almost forgot. was that a authentic flashlight being used for musket inspection in the authentic camp saturday morning? :D
                    Jay,

Not in the AOP camp. I doubt you walked a 1/2 mile to our camp! Please go back to Szabos and get off the AC forum.

Jim
                    Jim Butler

Comment

Jim and Jerry,
                      Thanks for letting my son participate with the AoP- I am sure he was the quietest drummer you've had- and likely the only one in camp asking for more hardtack ( the remains of which little brother ate for a snack yesterday.) He had a great time, but I am sure most events will now pale in comparison to spending time in an authentic camp.

Lauren Kaye

Comment

Lauren,

He did a fine job and campaigned and soldiered with the men without complaint! He proved himself tougher than some of the men.

Regards,
                        Jim Butler
                        Jim Butler

Comment

I went to Perryville this year. I had gone in 2002 with the AoP and had a great time. This time I went with my wife and 20 month old daughter, so I ended up not going with the AoP so I could dedicate more time to them at the event. I was quite proud of my little one when she started saying "horse" - what better place to learn this word than Kentucky, and what better time than at a re-enactment?

I have to admit the weather was about as perfect as I could have hoped for (after the rain, which happened before I arrived). If all days there could have been like Saturday, and all nights as Saturday night, well I would have considered Kentucky to be Heaven on earth.

We posed for a family image:

Sean Foster
                          [SIZE="2"][I][FONT="Garamond"]Sean Foster[/FONT][/I]
                          Company D, 1st Minnesota
                          Starr's Battery, NC Artillery[/SIZE]

Comment

I love the image! You guys look great! Aw, and what a sweet little baby. :)
                            Anna Allen
                            <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                            [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR
                              Lauren,

He did a fine job and campaigned and soldiered with the men without complaint! He proved himself tougher than some of the men.

Regards,
                              Jim Butler
                              Yeah, he was tougher than me. I stayed in camp Saturday (or should I say I volunteered myself for camp guard) while he led the column on the preservation march. He seemed to enjoy himself. We kidded him a right smart and he took it well. He is welcome around our campfire anytime.
                              Jerry Gouge
                              1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR
                                Jay,

Not in the AOP camp. I doubt you walked a 1/2 mile to our camp! Please go back to Szabos and get off the AC forum.

Jim
                                Jim,

I wasn't talking about the AoP camp, and what the heck is Szabos?

Jay
                                Jay Cantieri
                                2nd Tennessee infantry Co.C
                                Dirty Mucket Mess
                                Blacksmith

Comment

Working...
                                X