This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perryville AAR

You didn't get my musket, but I did see you take the first guys. The 5th NC in my screen name is the 5th bttn, a Department of East Tennessee and AoT unit. They later became the 6th NC cavalry regiment. The fifer and drummer with the 37th are the rest of my mess.
    Derek Carpenter
    Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Had a great time with the CG. On Saturday we got to watch the Rebs come up the hill after us and then on Sunday got to see the horse-drawn artillery in action. Watching the Rebs come at us in column of battalions was a great sight too. The living history villiage and minstrel show were tremendous and I hope that more events include such activities in the future. Thanks to everyone who made the event worthwhile.

Sincerely,
      [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
      [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by billmatt04
        Had a great time with the CG. On Saturday we got to watch the Rebs come up the hill after us and then on Sunday got to see the horse-drawn artillery in action. Watching the Rebs come at us in column of battalions was a great sight too. The living history villiage and minstrel show were tremendous and I hope that more events include such activities in the future. Thanks to everyone who made the event worthwhile.

Sincerely,
        Matt,

I wish I would have been able to see you there. The Minnesota Companies (1st and 2nd) were the Color company for the 2nd battalion of the WB and I had a great time as the Color Sgt. It really gave me an idea of how vulnerable a target they were as the color guard. This event was an improvement from our experiences with the Western Brigade at Franklyn and Corinth. A bit less canvas and we were able to camp away from the tent city on Sat. night. Were you at the 11:00 minstrel show? That was quite an experience. Verry well done and hilarious.
        [FONT=Times New Roman]Ben Quie
        2nd MN, Co. A[/FONT]

Comment

To all those in company C 42 Indiana (AoP) bully for you! You guys were great and it was a pleasure being your orderly.
          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
          [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Capt51stALA
            well I know one horse was killed near the C.S. camp after breaking its leg after its artillery carriage flipped.

Other than that I was a great event. Sadly I didn't get to participate in the hand to hand and had to watch from the fence line were my battalion stalled :( .

Michael Mumaugh
            51st Alabama INF.
            No "Artillery Carriage" flipped! It was in my unit and I have spoken to the owner, and those riding the limber, and it was just one of those things. That particular hitch has exsisted for some twenty six years, this is the first animal they have lost while in the traces.
            The horse became tangled after stepping in a hole and snapped a leg, if you observe these six horse hitches in operation it amazes me it doesn't happen more often. Imagine all that weight, with six horses going down hill with no brakes!
            The horses name was Blue, it was his second event, I understand after a bit of initial confusion both horses are to be buried in the park.
            [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by KarinTimour
              Clyde, a wheel horse for Lilly's Battery (Kent Oestenstad's unit, based in Alabama), had a heart attack while in harness waiting to go on the field for Sunday's battle. He just dropped in the traces while standing still, his death, at least, wasn't involved in any artillery carriage flipping.

He was a mellow, quiet horse who loved to pull and was all heart. He will be missed.

Sincerely,
              Karin Timour
              Period Knitting -- Socks. Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
              Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
              Email: Ktimour@aol.com
              Do you suppose Clyde would have wanted it any other way? i understand he is to be buried there in the park.
              [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

We have a horse that'll probably go down in battle. He's almost thirty and still goes out and loves it. The Vet says as long as he's healthy that we should continue to use him because it would break his spirit to be left behind and would probably lead to a quicker end.
                William L. Shifflett
                Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

I appreciate your comments Mr. Lamoreaux, the march was an interesting experience and I am grateful to Chad Greene for allowing Raquelle and me the opportunity the follow the Army. I think the Living History Village was a wonderful success and would like to thank all of the contributors.

Sarah Peaslee
                  Citizens of the Ohio Loyal League

Originally posted by Ross L. Lamoreaux
                  I had a great time as the orderly sergeant for Co A, 42nd Indiana with the AoP. My hats off to the big reb on the left of the Confederate battalion during the hand-to-hand scenario Sunday who knocked me on my can (pretty embarrasing!). The show in the village was a fantastic experience, as well as the interaction with the civilians in the village. Also, I must add kudos to the two ladies who set out on the preservation march, braving not only the distance and hills while pulling a cart of belongings, but the cavalry almost killing them multiple times. Once again the commissary of the AoP came through with good and plenty victuals, and the AoP sutler was a hit with the boys (bread in can - what will they think of next!).
                  Sarah Peaslee

Comment

Good:
                    Kickin' it with Wide Awake
                    Fighting with MLK.
                    Seeing Conely again
                    Minstrel show
                    Babes!
                    Oysters From Crabby!
                    Babes!
                    Seeing Landrum and Rasmus again

Bad:
                    Horse killed
                    Not finding the MLK before sundays battle
                    Long Drive, buyt worth it
                    Rash

Ugly:
                    Hangovers

Bully event!

Comment

Originally posted by Norsk
                      Matt,

I wish I would have been able to see you there. The Minnesota Companies (1st and 2nd) were the Color company for the 2nd battalion of the WB and I had a great time as the Color Sgt. It really gave me an idea of how vulnerable a target they were as the color guard. This event was an improvement from our experiences with the Western Brigade at Franklyn and Corinth. A bit less canvas and we were able to camp away from the tent city on Sat. night. Were you at the 11:00 minstrel show? That was quite an experience. Verry well done and hilarious.
                      Ben,
                      Yes, I was at the show that night but with the dim light I couldn't recognize you. I wish I had been able to mosey over to your camp for a visit. Maybe next time. In the mean time, let me know where you and the boys will be next year - maybe I can fall in with you fellows again. I sure enjoy your company!
                      [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
                      [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbit
                        Bully event!
                        I agree. I'd also like to add a few things to your list:

Good:
                        National Guard doing traffic control/security.
                        Event organizers not missing any details.
                        Raising money for a great battlefield.
                        Seeing a CS cannon being pulled with rope traces.

Bad:
                        Mapquest getting a few road names wrong.

Ugly:
                        Mud.
                        Rain (Thursday only).
                        Temps dropping down into the 30s.
                        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

During the confederates preservation march thing, one of the water wagons got a good 6 feet of air going over a bump on the battlefield.

IT WAS AWESOME

Comment

I was with Company A with the AOP. We hada great time. I believe we enjoyed the engagement with the Rebs during the Preservation March more than the regular battles. During the march the battalion had to move thru a gate at the bottom of hill before they could deploy into battle line. At the top of the hill an dover the crest were the Rebs waiting for us. I was commanding the skirmish line on the hill. I took them as high as I could go without exposing us to the Rebs fire. My job was to hold the Rebs off long enough for our battalion to get onto line. Just as the first company got onto line, the Rebs began their assault. It was a thrill to yell down to the battalion to "Hurry and get on the line!!!". We held the rEbs off for one or two volleys and then had to pull back to the main line, just in time. Whoever the rEbs were at the top of the hill, y'all did a FINE job!

The Minstrel Show was GREAT!!! Thanks to everyone who put the village together...it was really worth the walk from the AOP camp!

The unofficial, AOP, forage detail at the Bottom's House was also fun.

Regards,
                            Jim Butler
                            Jim Butler

Comment

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR
                              The unofficial, AOP, forage detail at the Bottom's House was also fun.
                              AMEN! JIM
                              [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
                              [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Had a great time!

I was down in the Living History Village, spending a good bit of time lounging in the tavern, but balancing it out with a nice stroll, visits to others in the village, Seniora Bella and minstrel shows and many many good conversations.

The event afforded me the great opportunity to make new friends, many of which frequent this board. Thank you to all for the hospitality and warmth I received while finding my niche in the event and getting my feet wet portraying civilian again. Can't wait to join you all at future events!

Also, a Thank you to those who organized the event and all of the hard work that went into it and the village.

Best Regards,
                                [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X