Banks' Grand Retreat CS Western Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks' Grand Retreat CS Western Company

Bill Treadway and I would like to invite men from the Rockies and Great Plains westward to sign up for the 15th Texas "Western Company" for the upcoming Banks' Grand Retreat Red River Campaign event, March 14-18, 2007. To date we have 13 men registered, from California, Utah, Idaho and Washington and have indications of interest from men in Arizona and Colorado, as well as an expatriot from Georgia who just returned from Guam.

Many of us did the Mansfield LA 2004 preservation march. We are psyched to do it again in the Howling Wilderness of Northwest Louisiana, in the footsteps of Dick Taylor's outnumbered but hard fighting greyhounds.

When registering simply indicate Bill Treadway's Western Company as your preferred choice. Please see the website at www.banksgrandretreat.com and direct any additional questions on the 15th Texas or company details to me at coop2911@msn.com.

I would add that Don Smith (TMD CO) will be leading the Western Federal Company of the 81st Illinois for the event. So if you have a mind to join the boys in blue, he is your man.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Banks' Grand Retreat CS Western Company

Well said!

Bill and Doug are two among many that deserve a tip of the hat for their willingness to come so far as well as to take on the responsibility of raising and leading a company of men in the piney woods.

If I could go as a private, I would gladly shoulder a musket in their ranks.

Regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Thanks pards.

I would like to add my email address if anyone wishes to contact me directly. Please feel free to email me at Bill@newsensations.com if I can be of any service. I am really looking forward to this event. It should be something to remember for a long time!!

Best regards, Bill.
      Bill Treadway
      Co. A First Texas Infantry
      Co. A Forty-Fifth Mississippi Infantry
      Co. D Eighth Missouri Infantry (CS)

Comment

Does anyone have a rough idea on the size of this event? It seems that for the length, it would be hard to get any kind of numbers. It would be nice though.

Thanks,
        Eliot Toscano
        (The Buckras)
        Regards,
        Eliot Toscano
        Independent Brute
        Putting on no style...

"Six children from the local village appeared wearing [U][B]fallacious accoutrements & reprehensible baggage [/B][/U]and thought they would put a sham battle on for our amusement. We laughed so hard at their imitation of soldiers that our sides were hurting for hours."
        A.R. Crawford in the 76th Illinois Infantry, Co D - April 1863 - The origin of FARB

Comment

Thanks for your interest Eliot--looks like you are new around here. Like most high quality events, we've got a numerical cap, and expect to hit it.
          Last edited by Spinster; 12-06-2006, 04:51 PM.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by PvtShot View Post
            Does anyone have a rough idea on the size of this event? It seems that for the length, it would be hard to get any kind of numbers. It would be nice though.
            You might be surprised... The last iteration, "Red River Campaign II" had approximately 110 to 120 in each of the two infantry battalions, plus two companies of cavalry, about half a dozen sections of artillery, the kibuki/logistical support, and at least two dozen or so civilians for an eight-day event, Saturday to the following Sunday. The Mansfield march the year before last fielded a quite respectable sized Confederate battalion. It will be as big or bigger than many or most of the other regional events that have far less impressive requirements.

Start walkin'.... They ain't no real bad hills in the area, but it's not purely flat, either. And if you sag or drop off the side of the road, at least at the last event (RR2) they would flat leave your ass there... there ain't no broom wagon coming thru at the end of the day. I would definitely keep Mr. Yearby's coattails somewhere in view!
            Tom Ezell

Comment

General rule in reenacting is that quality events tend to have fewer numbers. Lesser events tend to have greater numbers.

I caution anyone who has not attended a quality event like this one to be careful. If you attend, you'll likely find that the usual events lack the luster they once had. You'll find yourself gravitating towards the "hardcore" folks because you'll know they aren't the devils that others portray them to be. You'll start caring more about your kit than you presently do. Same goes for your interest in the common soldier. Events like this open your eyes in ways that the usual events do not.

There must be something right about Banks Grand Retreat because people are literally coming from the extreme corners of the US to attend this one. Then there are my strange speaking friends from the UK. People are not going to come from so far to attend the other competing event - aimed at the masses - that same weekend. People will travel a long way for something good.

Don't let the distance scare you. It's not really that far. You'd be surprised how much you probably walk in a day already. Be more afraid about how you'll perceive the hobby. That will certainly change.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I can't really improve on what Silas has already said.

Red River 1 was the event that changed the hobby for me. The cool part is that after the first few days we didn't have to go home. that one still ranks up near the top for me. As the CS commander I can vouch that we already have a sizeable force forming.

Marse Duffer is going to need your help as we will be chasing him out of Louisiana and it will take quite a force to stop my men. We have four companies formed and each have solid foundations. If you havent been to a campaign event such as this, I encourage you to attend but come prepared. If you can do it you will most likely find that this event will be the gauge of all the events you will have ever attended. These longer events don't come around often and if you can break away from Wedesday to Sunday you ought to do anything you can to make this one. You will be glad you did.
                Frank Aufmuth
                Colonel of C.S. Forces at BGR
                Frank Aufmuth
                When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Fearless Frank,
                  Im sure Captains Marek and Smith shall be up to the task of keeping you off their tails. I know both of these gentlemen and they are worthy of the task at hand.
                  I would be honored to serve under either of these fine gentlemen at any event. The Federal Company Commanders are top rail in my humble opinion, and as many as possible should join their companies before its too late and the company books are closed.
                  Dusty Lind
                  Running Discharge Mess
                  Texas Rifles
                  BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

To add an update from across the big pond. We are now up to 15 who will run the blockade to take part in this exceptional event; 12 Brits and 3 French friends.
                    Getting fit, checking the kit and counting the days!!!!!
                    Patrick Reardon
                    The Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

Hi Patrick,

That is great news. I look forward to marching with you. We are up to about 17 guys who are coming from western states for Major Aufmuth's battalion. I am also counting the days and getting fit. This should be an event to remember. Keep those registration forms coming in boys!!

Best regards, Bill.
                      Bill Treadway

Comment

Those are 15 outstanding fellows who have helped to nearly fill my company! I honestly couldn't be more honored, humbled and thrilled at this opportunity to not only be in the reunited company of Ground Hornets and Lazy Jacks, but to serve as its commander.

I know we will be dragging our tired bodies through a dense thicket straight into Yankee ambushes, but I will not be afraid. I've been through a lot with you fine men, and can't wait to do it all again.
                        Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Pards,

It is the new year and I wanted to get this folder back into view. We have 18 soldiers registered for the CS western company at BGR. If you are interested in going to this event please get those registration forms and fees in to Fred very soon. Time is short and March will be here before you know it. If there is anything I can do to help please feel free to contact me. Thank you and I'll see you all in Louisiana!!

Best regards, Bill.
                          Last edited by firstexas; 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM. Reason: addition
                          Bill Treadway

Comment

A small update from across the pond. The Lazy Jacks & Friends international contingent has now risen to 17!!! This is our largest ever number to run the blockade and Mr. Welles' entire navy is not sufficient to stop us. Can't wait, and for those reading this thread who are still undecided, join us if you can; it promises to be an event the like of which should not be missed.
                            Warm best wishes for 2007,
                            Patrick Reardon,
                            The Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

Working...
                            X