Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Announcement Regarding Rations

All,

Tom and I are happy to announce that we will be issuing rations prior to the step-off at the beginning of the event. This will be in addition to the mid-event ration issuance which we had previously promised.

With so many members coming in from afar, particularly those flying, securing proper rations as well as having a consistent issue was something of a concern. Our budget will support a ration issuance so we have decided to add that.

Folks are welcome to show up with a bit of food in their bags but please keep in mind that if you throw away or waste event rations, you're essentially throwing away money, money that could have otherwise gone to preservation or other expenses.

This information will be posted on the Banks' Grand Retreat website as well as on the event message board.

Registrations are continuing to come in which is outstanding. I fielded a call and subsequent email from a fellow from Australia who is looking hard at coming over. With so many coming from abroad, Tom and I are continually humbled at the distance and expense folks are dedicating to BGR. Those of you closer should press forward as well. There are a few spots remaining in the CS ranks and we can always stand more Federals.

Kindest regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: New Announcement Regarding Rations

Fred,
    I think only people that have put on events know how huge of a step this is, bravo and thanks for your and Tom's hard work for this event. I'll miss next weekend but I'll see you soon after.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Thanks Pat,

Looking forward to seeing you in the field. After Banks' Grand Retreat is in the books, I know a goodly number of us Ground Hornets are looking forward to sweating it out with you at Vicksburg!

Regards,
      Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Well, most of us will be sweating, but according to Tom's registration form that his agent sent in for him, I'm required to build him a 2 room "Vicksburg Style cave with hidden AC". I believe the only time he'll sweat is in his spa room. I'm starting to think being famous is getting to his head.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat,
          I will lay even odds that no matter how hot and humid it is in June in Mississippi, I will not be the first to bug out. I have lived in hot and humid all my life. Despite my feeble age and kind demeanor, I will sweat it out with the best of 'em!
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Ah hell I'm just funnin with you, I'm sure I'll have to tell you to leave on Sunday. I guess this means I should cancel the cave construction?
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat,
              I know that you were just funnin with me. Ain't me that folks have to worry about or the heat or the humidity, but the ghost of Hogan and John Yearby that will be lurking near making sure everything is done correctly.
              Tom Yearby
              Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Let me get back to what Fred posted before Pat and I buried it.

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                All,

Tom and I are happy to announce that we will be issuing rations prior to the step-off at the beginning of the event. This will be in addition to the mid-event ration issuance which we had previously promised.

With so many members coming in from afar, particularly those flying, securing proper rations as well as having a consistent issue was something of a concern. Our budget will support a ration issuance so we have decided to add that.

Folks are welcome to show up with a bit of food in their bags but please keep in mind that if you throw away or waste event rations, you're essentially throwing away money, money that could have otherwise gone to preservation or other expenses.

This information will be posted on the Banks' Grand Retreat website as well as on the event message board.

Registrations are continuing to come in which is outstanding. I fielded a call and subsequent email from a fellow from Australia who is looking hard at coming over. With so many coming from abroad, Tom and I are continually humbled at the distance and expense folks are dedicating to BGR. Those of you closer should press forward as well. There are a few spots remaining in the CS ranks and we can always stand more Federals.

Kindest regards,
                Tom Yearby
                Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Pat---

How about you fellers go over to Raymond with a big backhoe and a flatbed and move those well-built "Vicksburg Caves" from that site over to where Tom can use them. They were fine caves and since the site can't used for LH anymore, there's no use in them going to waste.

I'm hoping some of those fine BGR army rations fall out for the poor hungry locals---or maybe a laggard will find himself dissappeared off into the swamps........

I tromped around the Howling Wilderness a good bit last weekend. I saw lots of places to bury bodies in that sandy ground.:p
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                    All,

Amen! Also impressed with the kindness and willingness of folks to help others out and make the experience as easy as possible. We have a pard flying in from Michighan to Longview TX, and sounds like folks may be trying to help him out with a ride. I have seen a lot of this 'coming together' to help others out.

Not only have you put together a first class, not for the squeamish event, but you have attracted some of the best and kindest people. If there is anything one could do to make it possible for the guy in Australia to come enjoy this event, have him post it on the BGR forum and I'm sure one of these fine peoople will rally to help him make it possible.

Great move on the rations! One less thing we have to worry about and one less you have to inspect for!

Best Regards
                    Jay Stevens
                    Tater Mess
                    Independent Volunteers
                    Iron Man Mess
                    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                    Lost Tribes, October 2009
                    Bummers, November 2009
                    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                    In the Van, August 2010
                    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Ms Lawson,
                      Keep your ear to the ground and your eyes open, there may be another way to procure foodstuffs for the starving masses.
                      Dusty Lind
                      Running Discharge Mess
                      Texas Rifles
                      BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Keep your ear to the ground and your eyes open, there may be another way to procure foodstuffs for the starving masses.
                        Other than bopping you on the head, Dusty? I don't trust these civilians. There won't anything civil about them. Smooth in talk and charming with eyes, they'll take from you whatever they can seize. Without a doubt, they will constitute a third battalion in the field. No one will be safe from them. Straggle at your own risk.
                        Silas Tackitt,
                        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I was under the impression, at least from the official information listed on the Bummer's site, that registration was closed, that the ranks were full. This is something that I wanted to do, but saw and continued to see that registration was closed for, it seems, at least a month now.

Oh well, maybe next year.

Joe Mode
                          Joe Mode

Comment

Joe,

I think you posted on the wrong thread. Not sure how you landed here this is from an event in 2007.

Anyhow, registration was open for a looooonngg time before it closed. It started in Nov of 2008 and didn't close until Sept 2009.
                            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                            Civil War Digital Digest
                            Sally Port Mess

Comment

Geeeze, dunno either,

Joe Mode
                              Joe Mode

Comment

Working...
                              X