A Few Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Images

I did not have a camera and saw one only twice the five days I was there. However, some crafty folks must have managed to get one in and snap some images.

Below you will see a few token frames, taken from four days in the field. They are of the finest men in the hobby. I would march with them anywhere and invite them to my fire at any time. I miss them greatly.

(Part 1)

Regards,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gallo de Cielo; 03-21-2007, 01:42 PM.
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: A Few Images

Additional images.

(Part 2)
    Attached Files
    Fred Baker

Comment

Mas.

(Part 3)
      Attached Files
      Fred Baker

Comment

Fin.

(Part 4)
        Attached Files
        Fred Baker

Comment

If anyone wants an idea of what the roads (trails) looked like most of the time, the first photo is pretty accurate. I lost count of the creeks we splashed across but at times it was hard to tell where creek and trail seperated. Mud, mud, mud and standing water everywhere.

There were no water buffaloes on this one - did not need them. One purification tablet per canteen drawn from moving creeks over sand bottoms. We did not see a single fence after Wednesday, nor any other man made structure of any kind except for the civilian camp and a park service shelter or two which tended to blend in and resemble period structures. We crossed a macadamized road twice and saw two gravel roads. Burned woods, mud, water, hills, more mud, rocks, sand, unburned pine trees and nasty thorn vines. The weather was awful on Wed, raining all day and saturating the entire area, and most of us. After that it was cloudy or gorgeous...and unbelievably dark at night (Friday was a new moon).

The first night we camped on a slight slope in the rain and when we attempted to dig a fire pit, the water gushed up from only 2 inches down. It took over an hour to start good fires, even with candles and a pile of uneaten forage. Field craft was tested.

At one point on Friday we saw 2-3 little fires and thought we had set them, but it was burning embers left over from the controlled burn.

At night we heard packs of coyotes howling and saw stars many of us had not seen in years. During the day birds of prey flew over, wondering what the fuss was about no doubt. No bugs or snakes. Distant artillery could be heard from Fort Polk at times, whch added an interesting dimension.

In short, the area was perfect, and had not changed a bit in 145 years.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

One of my favorites is the one taken over the top of Nathan's draft mule team with both columns of men marching side by side.

At the end you can see Sgt. Major Hicks chatting with a Secesh boy. In the middle are the two flags, both made by Mrs. Cindy Stuart of Flower Mound, Texas. Her work on the Taylor flag was really, really something.

As Doug notes, the stream crossing images of men filling canteens shows what it was like. These were meant more for the men who came and did this as I found they jogged memories for me just looking at faces and remembering events attached to each man.

Regards,
            Fred Baker

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper
              No bugs or snakes.
              Speak for yourself, Coop. Judging by how throughly the heads were buried in my flesh, I seemed to have carried one for most of the event and acquired another toward the end. All told, the scorecard in the contest between ticks and bruises of no known origin was : ticks two and bruises four.

I thought the burn would have kept them down. Maybe it did.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                Speak for yourself, Coop. Judging by how throughly the heads were buried in my flesh, I seemed to have carried one for most of the event and acquired another toward the end. All told, the scorecard in the contest between ticks and bruises of no known origin was : ticks two and bruises four.

I thought the burn would have kept them down. Maybe it did.

I picked up a tick as well.Thankfully skeeters and chiggers were a non-issue.:)
                Forrest Peterson

Tater Mess
                Tater Mess Social Orchestra
                Missourah Shirkers

Comment

Great Pictures. I didn't even notice at first, but I'm in a few of them. It was an amazing experience and i'd do it again in a heart beat. I was actually able to portray my fiance's ancestor who was in the original Co. A of the 81st. Maybe of few of you Rebs remember me??? George W. Eaton aka "Little Mac" It was great sharing your food and tobacco the two times y'all captured me :-) However, I guess none of you was a McCllean man :)

I had a wonderful time and made many friends! I can't wait to take the field with yall again. Thank you everyone!

Ryan Protz
                  aka George W. Eaton and Little Mac

Comment

Little Mac,
                    Good to hear from you. It was great to serve with you in 2nd Platoon!
                    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                      One of my favorites is the one taken over the top of Nathan's draft mule team with both columns of men marching side by side.
                      A most wonderful Photo.
                      [B]Steven Cone
                      "The Dippin' Gourd Mess"
                      <A HREF="http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/SilverSpringMess.html"><I>"Silver Spring Mess"</i></A> <br>Stones River Nat'l Battlefield Volunteer
                      Living Historian and Battlefield Preservationist
                      [COLOR="Blue"]ACPP ; CWPT ; BONPS ; STFB [/COLOR][/B]

[I][B]January 18-20, 2008 "The Calm Before The Storm" <br>April 19, 2008 "Fort Granger" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN"<br>June 20-22, 2008 "The Eastern Flank" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN[/I][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by 41stVa View Post
                        Great Pictures. I didn't even notice at first, but I'm in a few of them. It was an amazing experience and i'd do it again in a heart beat. I was actually able to portray my fiance's ancestor who was in the original Co. A of the 81st. Maybe of few of you Rebs remember me??? George W. Eaton aka "Little Mac" It was great sharing your food and tobacco the two times y'all captured me :-) However, I guess none of you was a McCllean man :)

I had a wonderful time and made many friends! I can't wait to take the field with yall again. Thank you everyone!

Ryan Protz
                        Ryan,

Sorry I didnt get a chance to bid you fairwell at the end of the event. My two pards were quite eager to get going and have lunch. It was awesome meeting you and serving as prisoners together! Your first person was really superb and it added a lot to my expirience. I hope I will see you on the field again one of these days!

Chase Pinkham

Comment

Originally posted by 41stVa View Post

Ryan Protz
                          Ryan - there was much discussion of your differing political views in our CS camp. We wished there were more Little Mac men and fewer Lincolnites! Your impression was outstanding.

Do you have a copy of the 81st Illinois regimental history? If not, grab a copy here (only $10):

Experience in the War of the Great Rebellion (Regimental History of the 81st Illinois) by Edmund Newsome

Jackson Co. (Illinois) Historical Society- book list at: http://mysite.verizon.net/jchs/BookList.htm
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

To all,
                            Many thanks for everyone who put this event together, and especially for men and women who attended to my needs while "un-shod" on the third day. I was impressed that so many of you showed concern for my medical and physical needs in regards to my shoe "blow-out". All is well now and the guilty leather has been repaired.
                            Also, I was impressed with how quickly many became "a band of brothers" within such a short time. I attribute much of this to the goals of this website and dedication each of you have for accurately portraying history the way you do.
                            Congradulations and well done. When my pics come in I'll be sure to post them.
                            Dan Monahan...your sketch is in the mail.

Jay Reid
                            Dreamer42
                            9th Texas/165th NY
                            Jay Reid

Comment

The French fellers have posted some photo's and a couple of sneaky video's on a hosting site here are the links.

http://news.webshots.com/album/558297133nYHxeW

http://news.webshots.com/album/558301107WYTBOs
                              http://news.webshots.com/album/558305952KDEeDg

http://news.webshots.com/album/558307275YkFbjK

http://news.webshots.com/album/558307018tdXVlU

Regards
                              SteveB
                              Last edited by Footslogger; 03-22-2007, 11:30 AM.
                              Steve Boulton
                              Lazy Jacks Mess
                              Volunteer Company Infantry (UK)

Comment

Working...
                              X