Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myths exposed, lessons learned and other observations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myths exposed, lessons learned and other observations.

I have written three or four AAR's and junked them all. I had another long AAR that was destroyed when my notebook ran out of power. In hindsight that probably saved your eyeballs and the AC site a few gigs of memory.

I could entertain you with stories about my escape from the Federal Camp and the inside jokes with 2nd platoon, but I have decided against it. You had to be there and those stories are really the privilege of the people that actually hit the field and they will be told around camp fire for years to come. I would like to note that no trees attacked me in Louisiana, if you went to Rich Mountain as a Confederate, you would get that joke too.

BGR was an honest event. What do I mean by that? Unlike some living history or mainstream events, it was a true campaigner event. You took everything you needed or didn't to the field. There was no skulking back to the car for a second blanket, no sneak off trips to the restaurants, no fresh TP and flush toilet on the trail.
    No big sutlers to resupply your losses. No savory food vendors either.

So this was a learning experience. Not so much on drill or material culture, more on cooperation between men and surviving in the field. The big key was the "mess." Hal Meritt said it best, "messes were necessary to the survival and well being of the Civil War soldier."

When we first arrived at the event, 80 percent of us acted as individuals, we may have shared a fire, but there were 10 frying pans, with everyone trying to cook their own meals, sleeping alone, "doing there own thing." It wasn't until the third day (Friday) that we started to get the idea that "going at it alone" sucked.

We started to share details, look out for each other, combined our food, shared tools and supplies, shared candles and pipe tobacco, and finally we slept as one mess under one lean-to near the fire.

Being hardcore and toughing it out isn't what campaigning is all about. It's really about a group of men taking a rough situation, and not just surviving it, but living well with very little. They had to, the combat and marching was dangerous enough. Staying warm or cool was a challenge, staying well fed and getting a good sleep was important element to surviving combat and the marches.

BGR killed the myth for me that the CW soldier was "hardcore", he was actually smart, sociable and he took care of his mess mates and himself. He had the best survival tool out there, ten other men with the same goal and genuine concern for each other. If it was loaning your coat to another mess mate for picket duty, or making coffee for the platoon, everyone had some skill to share or a duty to perform. One "outsider" would make life intolerable for the rest of the platoon. A good soldier was very valuable, when we lost people in battle, we noticed the difference in our quality of life.

Time was limited after the march, having everyone doing the same detail at once was inefficient, Details should be dispersed to take advantage of the remaining daylight. Having the entire platoon clean weapons, was an example. Cooking, gathering wood, constructing shebangs, repairing equipment, issuing rations, re-filling canteens, they all had to be done. There was very little "down time" for this event.

I could have well researched the event and packed accordingly, I could have left behind the writing kit and the shaving gear and the extra shirt, however; I decided against that and I packed according to what I thought a CW soldier needed, I didn't bring a lot of exotic or extra rations, no special ingredients etc. At one point I discarded a few things from my knapsack on the trail to include a very wet shirt, one pair of socks, a deck of cards, one very large bag of coffee (from rations) and a few other knick knacks. It probably only saved 4 pounds at the most, but it was the psychological factor of "lightning the load." The pack wasn't really heavy, I was just very tired. It could have been filled with feathers and the exhaustion would make it feel like an ox yoke.

In regards to the "first person" impressions, I was just myself, with a different background. I had no quarrel with the South, but once I was captured and witnessed my comrades dying, I was really mad at "Johnny" for killing those fine men. Now that sounds funny coming from the "SC Tiger", but that the way it was. I was a Union man from Illinois for those four days. The key is to forget your beliefs and be yourself with a different set of circumstances. (I am now back to being SC Tiger, it will take a lot more than four days of reenacting before I become a Yankee.)

The only safety concerns I had at BGR, were the following. The pace was sometimes too fast for the terrain we were in and resulted in one sprained ankle. The pace later slowed down over the rough areas and the injuries decreased. We were walking down the trails with loaded muskets, that were capped. While going down hill, if someone was in front of you at right shoulder shift , the muzzle that used to be above your head was now pointing at your head. Muzzle bad. Keep it out of my face.

During the battles, we should have stopped firing around 100 yards, anything closer with ramrods and cartridges and someone could have got seriously hurt. I am not against using a ramrod, considering the experience of the people around me, we should have put better safety measures in place to limit any possible accidents. The fact that both sides were armed with Enfields in 1864, I believe most of the shooting would have occurred before they reached the 200 yard mark, any closer and the casualty rate would have been high. These were not smooth bore muskets. The Union should have withdrawn once the gray ghosts emerged from the woods and we caught sight of them. In most cases we did, but beating a hasty retreat up a steep hill or across a creek was a desperate experience I will never forget.

Building obstacles and breast works aided the soldiers in delaying a pursuing enemy.
    2nd platoon, "Beavers"" 81st Illinois, did just that. We got tired of seeing Johnny having a cake walk and matching our speed. So we began to throw logs, limbs, briars, rocks and anything lose on the trail, while we were the "rear guard." There was no order from the command to do this. We did it for the delays and to inconvenience the Rebs. It was also a psychological morale booster for us.

I am also relieved that there were no female soldiers in disguise (although we did suspect Chase) at this event. The only women were out in the civilian camp. Having any woman in camp would have seriously altered the social environment and freedom that we enjoyed. We went two days without seeing a female at all. That made it seem like a vacation in some respects. When we did meet the civilians, it was brief and most of us were respectful. It was great to be a free man, if only for a day I really enjoyed the humor and the banter between friends. Once you get a camp name, like Goose, you know you are accepted (everyone except Chase). Thanks to all my comrades in 2nd platoon.

There are a lot of myths about campaigning in this hobby. In the field it wasn't about jackets types or "material culture" it was more about cooperation and comradeship than anything. That's why we had a great time being miserable. I wish more people could have attended.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: Myths exposed, lessons learned and other observations.

Gribble:

Great AAR. Here I am, green with envy.
    Ley Watson
    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Good read!

Having been to the first RR, you learn VERY QUICKLY that it takes a mess to accomplish anything. Makes you appreciate how those men survived the war and why they became so close after.

When you attend an event like this it makes every other event pale in comparison because for several days, you're not just a soldier marching and fighting, but you're a person of the 19th century having to do the same things the real people did to survive.

I only wished I could've gone to this one.
      James Ross

Comment

Greg hits upon the essential ingredients of this event - teamwork and comradeship. Every drop of water, every crumb of food, every piece of equipment, every duty or fatigue, every stint on guard was shared. Fires were kept going all night and everyone looked out for each other. One carried the skillet, another the coffee pot and the other the boiler. I never heard a single complaint from anyone that he got screwed or had less of this or that or whatever.

Coming out of the civilian camp one of us had filled a boiler with the potato/apple stew. He tied it on the back of his knapsack and I used a spoon to feed everyone in the platoon as we marched along without breaking stride. We passed the company spade around from man to man. We got used to the knowing where each of us was without looking. As 1st Sgt, I always walked to the left around the puddles and ponds in the road. For the rest of my life I may walk on the left side of the street. :)

We were truly all for each other.

Safety was modified as well - we quickly realized being primed was not the way to go as we stumbled and climbed and marched along. We were always loaded, because the bad guys were always close, but we removed caps. We got very good at quickly loading and priming on the move. We got very good at quickly clearing weapons when fouled. We got very good at maintaining a sense of dress and distance on the skirmish line, even when in the densest brush. Every private looked to his corporal, corporals to sergeants, seargeants to officers and vice versa. The chain of command worked extremely well, by second nature it seemed. "Take care of the men" was the watchword. The Colonel, Major and Sgt Major were always visible. First person was easy - it was the here and now of being a soldier.

It was easy to look at you guys as Pharoah's Army - with the burned over landscape, stories from the civilians, etc. We never thought of shooting at pickets however. We got damned tired of the cannon though. Our prevalent thought was - "wish the yankees would either go faster and get clean away back to Alexandria or go slower and let us finish the job." The last action on Sunday was the only really close-up fight and I remember hearing your shouts and thinking how foreign it was...never felt that before.

Some of this sounds corny to those who were not there...

This was a carefully scripted event - no hint of "tactical" at all. Everything was timed and controlled by Fred and Tom, and worked brilliantly. The beauty of it was that the men in the ranks did not see that. There was one strange skirmish with the wagons caught between the lines that was surreal, but that was a result of us having to stop for the night at an unplanned location. Most of these types of events tend to be a free-flowing almost cowboy and indian type deal, without the extension of lines of a picket post. This went according to plan, and even the improvisation just seemed part of the scenario. We were all too busy to notice Fred and Tom for the most part.

This event will go down as the closest most of us have ever gotten to the real deal. It's greatest value may be that it reenergizes the campaigners that it can work. It does not have to be 4-5 days long, it does have to be scripted and organized. But the 4-5 days molded us into units quickly...and that is priceless.

As we marched back together I began talking to a Corporal in the 81st who was on both RR1 and RR2. He had left the hobby altogether back then but got back in for this event. He is a superb soldier - the type the hobby really needs right now. In the ranks of the Lazy Jacks was Adam Hammersley, 18 years old. In our company was Robbie Fischer, 17 years old. Robbie went from fresh fish to veteran in 4 days. Can't beat that.

Thanks Fred and Tom, for not only living up to the promise, but exceeding all expectations...and perhaps turning the corner for the hobby. Don't get much better than that.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Mr. Deese,

You sir, may count your AAR as honest to read as the event comes through to me over these reports. Both you and Mrs. Lawson have provided some enjoyable reading time, and as Ley said earlier, envy, at having not been to such a fine event. I can always tell the best events I've been to by my memory of the men that were there with me! To all of you that attended BGR, I must salute you (especially that four day bare-foot man)!

Neil Randolph
          1st WV

Comment

And I forgot to thank Frank, Tom, Fred and all the "behind the scenes" people that made the event happen. The event was excellent and it met our exceeded my wildest expectations. A lot of people made heavy sacrifices to make this happen. It's also good to see some of the same dedicated people show up again and again. I have seen Brian Hicks in South Carolina , Georgia, West Virginia and now Louisiana. I forget to get his autograph for my CW Historian magazine. Oh well I am sure I will see him again.

You just can't get this sort of experience at a two day event, three would be the minimum. This is one area that we know about, that book historians will never grasp. The "mess" was the atomic nucleus of the Civil War military unit. Not even modern military units are like this, except for small, elite forces like SEAL's, Special Forces or Marine Recon Units. In my opinion, all CW campaigners would be "elite" troops today in comparison.

You can belong to a unit, even if it has 1,000 members, but if you are not organized as mess on the section level, you are going to live miserably on the campaign. This happens quite often at "national" events, you will have 2,000 men on the field, but they are all individuals taking care of themselves, no shelter, no combined mess, no cooperation. This is viewed as being hardcore. It's pathetically wrong. A motivated platoon can erect a fine shebang in about 30 minutes. Send that same group to an event like BGR and things would change quickly, there would be no re-supply trips to sutler row or sleeping in the RV. Same deal for the weekend living historian, let's see how that fancy "museum grade" equipment looks covered in mud, blood, ash and sweat, plus can you work as a team member? Can you follow instead of leading?

In summation, this event taught me a lot of new field skills and gave me a new appreciation of those soldiers. My biggest suggestion, get your mess organized and communicating before you hit the field. It will make all the difference.
            Gregory Deese

"How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

It was great to see the companies break up into messes in the evening and during breaks on the march. Its something that's not seen often enough at events. Each night our mess had one fire, one skillet, one boiler, one cup, one plate, one knife, one spoon, and in the end, one shared meal. Anything more than that wasn't needed, and would have been a superfluous burden on the march.

-Craig Schneider
              Craig Schneider

Comment

Greg,

A salute to you. You have said things in a way that I've not seen written before. There are many AAR's posted and likely many more to come but yours drifts away from the more detailed stuff to a narative description of what it was like to soldier in general.

Clearly, our five days in the Kisatchie together made for memories we won't let go of. Nonetheless, your two posts in this thread are excellent. Really fine stuff. You put things into words that I hadn't even realized I felt but, from my humble perspective, you nailed it. I would like to see them posted in the FAQ section somehow or preserved. They should be required reading for a beginner wondering what he is getting into and what they might get from our little hobby.

Kind regards,
                Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Goose!

I had a blast being your file partner in 2nd Platoon!! I enjoyed our conversations while on the march. Great AAR. It was truly amazing how everybody came together and worked towards a common goal in our mess. By the way..I think somebody picked up your tossed shirt and coffee :tounge_sm

Hope to see you again in the field!

Ryan Protz
                  aka Little Mac ...... 2nd Platoon!!

Comment

Logistics Side of Life; I was mainly the gopher for alot of running back and forth. I hauled sore footed men from the field to where ever. Picked up nurses and such to sick men in the field. Ran about 75 yards uphill with 6 gallons of water on my shoulder to reach a fallen comrade.
                    One of my thoughts for after actions is to have another guy. one for animals and another for those two legged animals :).
                    I was about worn out trying to find hay dumps hidden in the woods. Hauling water for horses cause their owners didnt want to let them drink unpurified water and of course keep up with the men in the field. Hauling feed for the animals as well. Picking up water cans thrown up the side of the road.
                    I think the tone was set the first night with your change of campsite. I learned always have water in the truck (which i did after that), know where all the haydrops are, even if it requires 4 wheel drive to get, and the ability to read sandscript, Know where the extra rations are for the civilians, and oh yeah know where the men in the field are at all time to come to your rescue for emergencies.
                    Someone asked why I was always popping up as the preacher and begging from you, well If you also remember me at Mansfield checking on you, making sure you were not too footsore to admit it, and pushing water on you to drink, drink, drink.
                    There was more than a few of you that I baptisted with the water and I hauled a few pails for you. Just kinda figured it was easier to give ya cup of water than try to haul your ugly butt off the trail due to heat stroke :).
                    Finally for anyone you who desire a RRIV remember we need stronger radios something with a range over 2 miles.
                    There was alot of talk about comrades in this post. Please, please, for the sake of your comrades check on them as well. if they look weak or sick let someone know. if you see someone who needs medical attention let someone know. its darn hard for alot of men to admit to another "Ive had enough, or Icannot go on". Put your pride aside and think of your health. We had a darn sick possum there with heat exhustion. He was very luck, first trained personnel were nearby, second we had the resources to be first responders and finally some local emergency folks were there as second responders. It could have been really ugly. So possums when taking care of your possums, take care of your possum :)....
                    Dusty Lind
                    Running Discharge Mess
                    Texas Rifles
                    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

I appreciated "spring water" after that one march Dusty. Again thanks from everyone and you especially Fred. It was a real water shed event.
                      Gregory Deese

Comment

Gribble,

It is good to see young grasshopper finally take pebble from Master's hand.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Dusty,

Gerry and I are already having some long discussions on those sorts of logistical points. My greatest struggle was dealing with civilians who weren't in the general geographic areas they belonged, and having to play catch up with my assigned tasks because of it.

Then, when water challenges arose, being in a static camp, I was the one most handy to step to the plate----the reality was, I had the poorest equipment for the task, as I had planned to water only folks up and down a 3-4 mile stretch of flat road. Larry Bretton was hollering into my phone with every breath about how not to overload that light duty trailer I was hauling behind my 'soccer mom' van.

And, one of the many reasons I heard in original event discussions dealing with cavalry had to do with some men insisting on their horses getting specific water and feed quality--and us sadly discarding the idea when we knew we could not logistically support them. Not that we didn't want them--we just knew our limitations.

Imagine my surprise when I dropped everything, hiked myself out, to go on what was suppossed to be an emergency run to get water to men-----only to find that I was hauling water to horses that should have been stream watered-----and that I could hear the stream.

Charles marveled at how few support folks were being used---I know it sure took more of my time than anticipated, and sucked the marrow right out of the day light hours------and my folks were being very very conservative on water useage.
                          Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Ms Lawson,
                            We al know the tales of water hauling. Kinda leaves a bad taste in our mouths doesnt it? hehehhe
                            Dusty Lind
                            Running Discharge Mess
                            Texas Rifles
                            BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Dusty,

Yessir.

Especially since I had to step up to the plate to give the quick turn around and a whole lot of things didn't happen that were planned, including a good bit of the bucket and yoke hauling for civilians, because I had to get a quick turn around on those containers and trailer on multiple occassions to move rescources to remote sites for folks other than the civilians scattered in the woods between Oak, Corral, and the Deer Check.
                              Terre Hood Biederman
                              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
                              X