Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myths exposed, lessons learned and other observations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Myths exposed, lessons learned and other observations.

The plan was for the cavalry to support itself.

Darryl Robertson
    Darryl Robertson

Comment

I was also a member of Company A 2nd Platoon. I am a little more rested and thought I would try my hand at relaying my BGR experiance. Yours was awsome Goose!

Starting out this event was strange. Two pards and I walked into a camp not knowing another soul in Company A. As we sat down, there was the feeling of, was this a good idea?

The first morning at roll call the ice began to break, as mens names were called, there were snickers at last names like mine and the nicknames began to be heard. I thought to myself that this journey might just work out. But I could still only trust the two guys I came with, we would help each other survive. As time would tell, I was mistaken in thinking that I could not put my friendship and trust in guys from California, Iowa, Wisconsion and South Carolina.

After being about half way through the first days march, the 1st person conversation really started, it was not just, i'm bla bla, from bla bl, there was alot of funny stuff being talked about, and this only grew throught the event. The first night things started to click, making sure everything was done and that everybody was comfortable. We were dead tired and I had the thought of, there's three more days of this.

The next morning at roll call, I knew we were in for a good time, everyone was wearing a smile and in a playful mood. Somehow my name became "Boozer", there was also "Goose", "Holler", "Native", "Little Mac", "Gobful" and "Corporal Talks Alot". What we had yet to learn was our fighting power, over four days we came to know that we were a small but powerful force within the Battalion. We were often called upon by the Battalion Commander as the rear guard or as the boys to draw the "Johnnies" to the Battalion's battleline. I won't bore you with fighting details, there was alot of good action and it was a good time for us. Although by getting the chance to do these "details", each and every man in 2nd Platoon became even closer. I'm glad we had those opportunity's for "quality time".

Another great experiance was being part of the advance guard entering the civilian camp. Rounding up men with guns, women and children who were screaming and crying. The civilians were great, and a big thank you goes to Mrs. Lawson who made sure I did not leave without a twist of tobacco, it was put to good use in 2nd Platoon as well. Then we started going through the cabin for food and anything else we could use. I unbuttoned my frock coat and was shoving bags of food, coffee, and sugar inside of it. It was not just for me, all of the spoils were shared with my "brothers" in 2nd platoon. Not only had we become close, we were looking out for one another. The shirt "Goose" threw out on the trail, was picked up by us and traded to the teamsters for some rice and beans. This was to be shared with the platoon also, although some of us were going to give up our share to another soldier who was having trouble keeping the rations down. Not everyone was aware of this, it was just another way of looking out for each other.

The terrain was a little more rugged than I thought it would be. Just when you were at the end of your rope, someone would start a conversation, and 2nd Platoon could be seen marching with a smile and heard laughing in the ranks. We would feed off of one another, thats where we gained our energy and strength. We even thought that we could hold the whole Confederate Battalion with our small number. We soon learned on day 3 that was not so, as the "Johnnies" came upon us at a full sprint up a steep hill that we thought we could hold. One shot from our rifles and we were on the run to the Battalion line. You know your in trouble when the Sergeant Major is running with you saying "they are coming fast, get back to the Battalion line". To the "Rebs", thanks for that experiance, I will always remember that moment, and you boys looked great!

Our last night, as "Goose" stated, we all pitched in and built a platoon sized shabang, we spooned by platoon that night. We were all sore and tired, but still we worked for the good of one another. We even got in a line and gave each other a platoon massage, it sounds weird I know, but it was nice on the shoulders. On Sunday afternoon, when it was time to part ways with 2nd Platoon, we knew a good thing was coming to an end. It was alot harder to say farwell than I could have ever imagined on day 1.

BGR was something really special for me, I learned alot of new things, and made some friends you can count on for life. I also think that we "walked a mile in their shoes", at least as close to it as you can get in this lifetime. I will certainly go again, if there is ever another, but it won't be as good as this one for myself. Most good things happen by chance, I believe that this is one of those times. To expect this great experiance again will probably end in disappointment, it would not be the same.

Thanks 2nd Platoon, it was an honor and privilage to have served with you.

Brothers Forever,
      "Boozer"
      Last edited by boozie; 03-23-2007, 11:41 AM.
      sigpic
      Grandad Wm. David Lee
      52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
      - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Besides my pards in the Nation, I have never felt so close to a group as I did with the boys of 2nd platoon. I look forward to seeing those of you who are going to the Landing. We should get our images struck.

Boozie it was great to have you as a file partner!

Please feel free to e-mail me hheadlog@aol.com or call 319-341-5885. I would like to hear from you boys.
        Nathan Hellwig
        AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
        "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post
          Besides my pards in the Nation, I have never felt so close to a group as I did with the boys of 2nd platoon. I look forward to seeing those of you who are going to the Landing. We should get our images struck.

Boozie it was great to have you as a file partner!

Please feel free to e-mail me hheadlog@aol.com or call 319-341-5885. I would like to hear from you boys.
          Holler,

It was alot of fun, I enjoyed it also. On the way home we were talking about a BGR image for those of 2nd Platoon attending at Shiloh. "Little Mac" can be our platoon mascot.

Boozie
          sigpic
          Grandad Wm. David Lee
          52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
          - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

To All the Men that served in First Battalion 81st Illinois.
            Gentlemen a strange thing happened to me after the event. For the past week I can hardly think of you boys in the battalion without a lump in my throat and a huge welling of pride in my chest. All of you are men of the finest caliber. You are truly iron men as Tom Yearby stated. I have never experienced such pride before except when my three children were born. Tears well up in my eyes now as I remember your faces and your deeds in the campaign just past. I have never felt such a yearning to be back with comrades as I have this week. Almost to a painful feeling.
            I thank You for an experience I have been waiting 27 years for.
            You are truly a Band of Brothers.
            Your Most Humble Servant
            Terry Sorchy

Comment

Being a teamster I'm a little intrigued by the horse problems hinted at.

Just to start off I'm all for making sure our 4 footed friends are properly cared for, it isn't their idea to reenact being an 1860s era horse, so they deserve the best.

That being said I've never had a riding or driving horse that wouldn't drink out of a stream or pond and in 20+ years of ownership never had a problem so were the owners concerned about the natural water sources being polluted or something?

As to fodder for the horses. I'm a foot soldier so I've never researched being a cavalryman but wasn't it standard practice during the CW for a cavalryman to carry so many days fodder with him on his horse? That fodder to be supplement by whatever grazing was available?

So were the supply of haydrops/etc supposed to be a recreation of the efforts of the cavarly supply train or done for horse safety purposes?

I'm curious because I've toyed with the idea of recreating a supply wagon or bringing my mule to simulate bringing ammo up to the troops and I'd like to avoid any pitfalls if the knowledge is available out there.
              Last edited by Bob 125th NYSVI; 03-23-2007, 03:20 PM.
              Bob Sandusky
              Co C 125th NYSVI
              Esperance, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
                Charles marveled at how few support folks were being used---I know it sure took more of my time than anticipated, and sucked the marrow right out of the day light hours------and my folks were being very very conservative on water useage.
                Terre,

Yes, I did. The official pre-game program had precisely two kabuki listed, and that's a small number of warm bodies for an event with the square mileage of a BGR; however, folks like Fred and Uncle Tom imbedded with the forces in the field, yourself, Gerry the oxhandler, the teamsters, and the rangers all added up to a larger support cell. I enjoyed getting a few glimpses of the folks in the rear with the gear, having been there myself many times. As with any site, the Kisatchie land offered some good advantages and disadvantages, as the usual trade offs. The road network was impressive, and so was that handy spring down towards Kisatchie Bayou Camp. Nice bay leaves down there, too.

At one point when Dusty was showing us the Mappe of the Worlde out in the "Corral Camp Motor Pool & Spring" away from the rest of the participants, I asked him how he was doing for food, rest, water, etc., and he said "Well, I had steak and eggs for breakfast, and keep a good store of Natchez Spring Water handy. How'd you do for breakfast this morning?" Our morning meal of hardtack, smoked salted herring, boiled beef, and dried peaches just couldn't compare.

Ah, who wouldn't want to be a soldier!! :)
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Bob,

I personally never saw the teamsters refuse natural water points. I know our two mule-skinners led their teams of draft mules down to the water points every night when I was around them.

Hay had been pre-dropped at what we believed would be our nightly bivouac points. However, on day one when we lost men and the time-table had to be shifted, it required repositioning drop points. The wagons were loaded with ammunition boxes, officer's equipment, and two days rations. The first day, we started by issuing two days rations and the wagons moved 60 gallons of water each. In pounds that was roughly 500lbs in each, plus the other items I've mentioned. This area was also very rugged and hilly, often cut by streams and sharp washouts. Even without a load, it was physically demanding on the four-legged (and two-legged) stock. Toward the end, as the second set of two-days rations was issued and that space and weight was freed up, the skinners loaded and moved hay that way. There was almost zero grazing land in the area as well. That meant hay and grain had to be schlepped around or pre-set. The only lamed horses were those of the artillery battery which traveled via gravel roads far more than the mule teams and they also often used routes that put them on the two long sides of the triangle to reach spots we needed them.

All parties involved, particularly our head skinner, are extremely experienced folks with great know-how. They never once failed us and crossed any obstacle we encountered. Indeed, our final morning on the trail involved pioneering through fallen trees in numerous places and driving over others. The skinner can run his rig over trees the size of telephone poles with no worries. Bottom line, these were tough men and tough mules and the event wouldn't have been the same without them.

I don't think I see any critical tone in your writing but as you weren't there and didn't see these things first-hand, it's somewhat tough to explain without summoning more keystrokes than I care to use.

Regards,
                  Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Holler & Boozie,

I'm up for being the mascot for the platoon! :) I still can't get over how much fun I had down in Louisiana. It's still hard for me getting back into modern day things again. I was serioulsy getting use to living out in those woods.

Looking forward to seeing yall at Shiloh in a few weeks!

Your Pard,
                    Little Mac

Ryan Protz
                    Granville Mess
                    ONV

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                      I don't think I see any critical tone in your writing but as you weren't there and didn't see these things first-hand, it's somewhat tough to explain without summoning more keystrokes than I care to use.

Regards,
                      That's why I asked I wasn't there.

My horses are heavy work horses used to living and working outdoors year round so they take care of watering themselves from streams and ponds (when unfrozen) where I work them that's why I was curious on the water issue.

The mule he just sort of tags along where ever the big guys go and does what they do.

As to forage, well I don't know when the grass starts up where you guys were. At that time mine were still standing on a foot or two of snow so 'foraging' for mine consisted of looking back at the house wondering when I was going to bring them their hay. LOL

Thanks
                      Bob Sandusky
                      Co C 125th NYSVI
                      Esperance, NY

Comment

The wagon fellows were indeed hardy men and their mules and the oxen up to the task of navigating some very rugged country. My hat is off to them for a job well done.
                        Tom Yearby
                        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

We even thought that we could hold the whole Confederate Battalion with our small number. We soon learned on day 3 that was not so, as the "Johnnies" came upon us at a full sprint up a steep hill that we thought we could hold. One shot from our rifles and we were on the run to the Battalion line. You know your in trouble when the Sergeant Major is running with you saying "they are coming fast, get back to the Battalion line". To the "Rebs", thanks for that experiance, I will always remember that moment, and you boys looked great!
                          I figured y'all would be able to hold us at bay if we went up the hill in the usual skirmish order. That's why I had my platoon consolidate into a strong mass and run like hell over a ridge, to the base of your hill, and as far up as we could go without first passing out. In so doing, we seized momentum by catching y'all off guard. The appearance of first platoon, Co. B, just behind us added to the effect. Worked pretty well as y'all ran. You couldn't stay because y'all would have been flanked. As it was, my platoon went up the hill where y'all were. Then we followed y'all down the side. At the base of the side of the hill, we saw the entire Federal battalion scampering for cover. I saw first platoon seize the cannon to our left. We could have hurried y'all along, but one little old platoon isn't going to take on an entire battalion and come out alive. Best to let you go.

The third day had Co. B in the vanguard of the CS battalion. Our two platoons did much faking right with a show of force, but hitting left.with the real blow. Did it several times that day with much effect. Saw some great team work that day by the platoons of my company and by my company with the battalion. Prince Frank Magruder's battalion worked really well by the third day.

Although our battalion's flanking manoeuver on the second day was a thing of beauty....
                          Silas Tackitt,
                          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Of course if this was for "real" you wouldn't have gotten up that hill so fast. 2nd platoon Co.A men are all crack shots.:)

It was impressive though. We got only one shot off and had to run.
                            Nathan Hellwig
                            AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                            "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Lt Tackitt and his crack platoon of skirmishers made a big difference in a couple of places. My favorite was the Saturday fight around noon, when the cannon was on the road next the burned forest. Our company was on skirmish and we moved through the thick woods, drawing fire from your main body. While we in the 1st platoon maintained a stationary line behind big trees keeping you occupied, the second platoon under Silas moved around to the left through the brambles and suddenly broke out to your right at the road. We saw the cannoneers turn the gun and fire on just those 6 men in skirmish order. That was our chance to move the whole battalion forward quickly and cut off your line of retreat, but that was not in the plan. In any case, you guys would have likely extricated yourselves quickly once again, as you were truly experts by then. Slippery, we called you.

Vision was key at this event. We had a number of us with vision better than 20/20 (one guy was 20/7!) who were used to being in the woods, hunting, etc. Being able to see the enemy before they saw you was key. Having had Lasik surgery a few years ago made a world of difference to me as my vision is 20/10, to say nothing of not having to deal with contacts at an event any more!

Many of us were expert skirmishers and were used to moving long distances in skirmish order through all types of terrain. I think it was probably the most enjoyable tactical part of the event.
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Well... I can tell you of one incident were vision was lacking on the Gray Side. I believe it was Friday, at a deep creek crossing. The two advance scouts for the forward skirmish line came to the creek. The lead fella, in a blue sack coat, finally crossed the creek, and was in a bit of revile which led up out of the creek to the trail. We had men to the left and right, and a platoon directly ahead of him, 20 yards in the trees.

He came up out of the creek, hesitated, then moved forward, At about 15 paces (a safe distance, when musket is elevated to fire blanks at) he was told to halt! His eyes grew as big as saucers, and he turned and skedaddled back through the crick. At least three, may be four muskets were discharged into him as he turned and ran (yet.. miraculously... he was untouched... hmm!!!!!).

When the Bn. finally came up, it was one of those forlorn hope charges across the water. When they touched the waters edge, the platoon directly facing the ford rose up, and let a deadly volley onto their ranks!

Although we didn't stay around to see the effects, I understand one Reb actually did a face plant into the water.
                                Brian Hicks
                                Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Working...
                                X