Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Conditions

Folks,
    Last night,I was reading Diary of a Confederate Soldier:John S. Jackman of the Orphan Brigade.In it,he mentions some pretty interesting info on the weather at Chickamauga:
    Sept. 19:"We built a large fire,yet not having any blankets with me,I did not sleep any.The night was very cold and my large overcoat came in good place."
    Sept. 20:"Daylight came and a heavy frost was on the ground"
    Sept. 23 (On Missionary Ridge):"Johnnie G.(reen) and I having pulled up a pile dry grass upon which we lay,covered alone by our overcoats,and slept well."
    Even though he was little more then a regimental clerk,Jackman talks of having an overcoat with him.Even though it will be too warm,I just thought it was something interesting.
    Cullen Smith
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Re: Weather Conditions

Funny that you brought this up... While reading up on the battle this week, I came across several examples of the cold weather.

Here are a couple for y'all.

On Sept 19 after Cleburne's night attack while men from both sides lay dying, "the temperature dropped below freezing and all night long men screamed out in pain, moaning in the cold some calling out to their friends by name begging them to come out in the field and help them."

Also at Bragg's headquarters on Sept 19 after receiving his orders, John Bell Hood "ate a late super, and slept that night on a pile of leaves, shivering in the frigid air."

Joel Phillips
    The Flatlanders Mess
    Joel Phillips

Comment

A quick glance at the two week forecast calls for a Friday (21st) high of 80 degress with rain and aFriday night low of 64......again with rain. Seems as if a gum blanket will be in order!

J
      [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
      [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

At the time it wasnt unusual for the first frost of the year to occur in mid September. Also it had not rained in nearly two months when the battle occured.

Lee
        Lee White
        Researcher and Historian
        "Delenda Est Carthago"
        "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Jackman carried an overcoat throughout the war.
          Chris Suppelsa

Comment

When was Nate's Chicamauga LH? '04? It got pretty chilly that week end. At last years small LH hosted by... who was it? Zimmerman? It was almost Vicksburg hot. (yeah.. I know... after Duffer's knee blew out, he and I made an early exit in order to get him off the injured leg).

If the Temps are in the 64 to 80 range, that will be rather pleasant.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for cooler temps ,and not too terribly much rain.
            Brian Hicks
            Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Conley put together that little living history last year. When I went to Chickamauga in 2003 with the battalion it got pretty chilly on Friday and Saturday night. I'm just looking forward to seeing everyone,
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Conley... that's right! Sorry for the lapse in memory.
                Brian Hicks
                Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

When we filmed the VC movie years ago, remnants of a hurricane blew through.

Joe Walker

Comment

Yeah it was Jim Conley's big advernture through the park last year.

And here is another thing for all to chew on. Georgia has been very dry this year.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
                      When was Nate's Chicamauga LH? '04? It got pretty chilly that week end.
                      We are still talking about that event. The one where it went down into the '50's on Saturday night . . . in Georgia . . . in August. John Walsh about suffered hypothermia because he was sleeping on his jacket and refused to believe it really was that cold. That was where we Ohioans knew we weren't in, well, Ohio anymore. Not only do they have strange fauna in GA, even the weather is strange. The people I won't even get into . . . :D
                      Bob Muehleisen
                      Furious Five
                      Cin, O.

Comment

The weather can be very harsh. One account of the battle a soldier had said the ground was covered with white frost, so heavy it looked as if snow had fallen....

It can get quite cool in North GA in the fall. Please take that into account.

Brent Brumagin
                        Brent Brumagin

Comment

It can get quite cool in North GA in the fall. Please take that into account.

Back to the age old questions of how much is too much, and how much is too little? My "go light" choices get down to these :

1) vest or extra shirt ;
                          2) blanket roll or knapsack ;
                          3) blanket with gum or canvas ; and
                          4) blanket without gum or canvas.

Will likely leave the knapsack at home. Am hoping to go my lightest which would be choices 1 and 4 : extra shirt and blanket only.
                          Silas Tackitt,
                          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

The weather is awesome right now, particularly after the baking we've taken over the past 3-4 weeks. Looks to be pretty nice so far. Although the battlefield can be a pretty chilly place in the middle of the night.
                            Eric N. Harley-Brown
                            Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Looks like it will only get down to 62 degrees Friday and Saturday night, but we'll be wet. The forecast calls for showers all week-end. I'm glad I'm going to be one of those fancy-pants ANV boys clad in kersey.
                              Dave Eggleston

Comment

Working...
                              X