Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Culinary Considerations For Shiloh

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post

What a shame it is we can't drag Marse Woodburn down there with his fabulous Fort Granger tested bake ovens. NPS would probably flip out, but that's okay.
    It is funny you say that. I actually asked the park if they would let me build a mud oven on the site and remove it afterwards. I was turned down. Mainly because you have to build it several weeks ahead of time for the mud or clay to cure. Wiley Sword talks about them hin his book "Shiloh, Bloody April". It seems that nearly every company street had their own mud oven. Sword even states that the oncoming Confederates delayed their assaults briefly upon reaching these Federal camps. At first, the Rebs thought the mud ovens were possible sniper nests.

Jim Butler
    Jim Butler

Comment

I vote for Oysters and Pheasant and Potatoes and Cornbread....Cold Beer and steamin Coffee .Maybe even a catfish and puppies!!
      Last edited by Shotgun Messiah; 03-26-2007, 06:57 PM. Reason: Aim high!!! the most that can happen is you get shot in the eye
      Warren Hook
      First Sibley Mess
      New Madrid Guards
      WIG

"...And to Missouri we
      Extend both heart and hand
      And welcome her a sister
      Of our Confederate band
      Tho surrounded by oppression
      No one dare deter
      Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
      Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

Boil up some stale mule feed for breakfast ......I mean y'all really had some hurt puppy dog eyes when that piping hot kettle of goo was served at Fort Donelson, complete with simulated mouse droppings.
        Simulated my Arse, them was real!!!
        I would stake half a pie on it....!!
        Warren Hook
        First Sibley Mess
        New Madrid Guards
        WIG

"...And to Missouri we
        And welcome her a sister
        Of our Confederate band
        No one dare deter

Comment

With respect to mud ovens, is it not at all possible to transport one? I can well imagine that a real *mud* oven might crack, but a well-built, well-dried and fired clay oven could might make the trip (and save some of you folks from culinary disaster of unspeakable proportions.)

As for lard, such is often available at those little custom slaughterhouses, especially if you do the rendering yourself. I asked the one near here to hang onto some kidneys for our dogs once, and they came complete with a huge amount of lard. (The birds appreciated the seed cakes, but please don't feed THOSE to the soldiers!)
          Becky Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Becky Morgan View Post
            "With respect to mud ovens, is it not at all possible to transport one? I can well imagine that a real *mud* oven might crack, but...."
            Might just work, but the forklift rental on the destination end of the trip could be a bit of a budget buster for the event. On on the origination side of the trip, the front end loader could be used to lift the palletized mud oven over the side of the lowboy for shipment. At roughly 500 lbs. it would certainly have an impact on fuel consumption for sure, but the greatest wonderment would be the survival over a 797.02 mile one-way trip mostly over pothole filled interstate highways.

Fortunately, the hobby saw at least three brick bake ovens built and used for events during the 2006 season. The first at Winter 1864 at Newfane , NY, the second and largest at Fort Granger vic Franklin TN, and the third at White Oak Museum vic Falmouth, VA. The latter was the smallest of the three, and took about 30 minutes to construct from salvaged solid brick and sheet steel. If the raw materials are available, then it really doesn't take much time to build a bake oven.

Originally posted by Becky Morgan View Post
            "As for lard, such is often available...."
            Definitely not in retail destitute Maryland, and certainly not $250 worth of the white creamy goodness. If I wanted beef tallow, then that would be easy; however, for environmental reasons, pork and pork products are virtually unknown here.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I ain't gonna get no baked chicken am I?
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
                I ain't gonna get no baked chicken am I?
                That yardbird may be roasted or boiled, but baked or fried is looking mighty slim at this point, and we all know a lot of fellers like their chicken frying size. Those laying hens are much too wise....

Of course, a right smart feller might deduce the officer vittles may be a tad different from the enlisted fare.

Just a tad. By the way, have you ever seen desiccated chicken?

(No offense to Tad the "Mastiff" made famous at BGR.)
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

I'll do some asking around about the lard. I'd be glad to, er, render any assistance I can in that regard. Check your PMs.

As for the mud ovens, Maryland to Pittsburg Landing is quite a haul, but it should be possible to build one that weighs less than 500 pounds. I'll see what the people who still use them locally say and compare notes with the recent Mother Earth News article. (I was thinking about building one this summer anyhow.)
                  Becky Morgan

Comment

Boil up some stale mule feed for breakfast just one time, and they never forget.

Well, I suppose when compared to that specific meal on a certain frosty Tennessee morning, maybe Saturday morning's planned offerings at Pittsburg Landing won't be but so bad, but you'll be glad to get paid and visit the nice sutler man. I mean y'all really had some hurt puppy dog eyes when that piping hot kettle of goo was served at Fort Donelson, complete with simulated mouse droppings.
                    Charles,

The food was hot that frosty Tennessee morning. I think that was the most redeeming quality of that specific meal.
                    Last edited by 12thTennPrvt; 03-28-2007, 09:02 AM.
                    Mike Barlow
                    Lazy Dog Mess

Comment

Originally posted by 12thTennPrvt View Post
                      At the food was hot that frosty Tennessee morning. I think that was the most redeeming quality of that specific meal.
                      Almost brings a tear to my eye....that quote above being the second nicest thing anyone has ever said about that particular meal. :)
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Maybe we could get a bunch of starlings and make them into a pie! (Starlings being an
                        invasive species that have had way too much success since their introduction - are they
                        as strictly regulated as robins?)
                        We ran the gammit at Donelson, from the mule food to those startling, wonderful peaches -
                        at first we just looked at them, not even sure what they were, and I said, "Well, whatever it
                        is, I'm gonna try some!" followed by appreaciative grunts of pleasure, and requests for more!
                        It is only a shame that, when I busted a hole it the ice formed in that bucket on Sunday morn
                        and pretended to go Ice Fishing (of which Matt Woodburn said, "We never would have
                        thought of that!!"), I did not catch anything.
                        Fish, of the freshish variety, would be a grand addition as well.
                        But whatever it is, I am sure there will be one of two surprizes! I look forward to it.
                        Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                        James C. Schumann
                        Mess #3
                        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by BenjaminLDavis View Post
                          But whatever it is, I am sure there will be one of two surprizes!
                          James,

Over in that lofty CW Living History Non-Research & Tall Tale Development Think Tank also known as the OTB Forum, a wise old bird may look at the Shiloh victuals thread that has been dragging on since last autumn, or just take his chances. At this point, I'd like to point out flush toilets often have tanks, too.

Using the following quote from our Perfesser of Sawdust & Glue at Fudge-in-ya Tech, we trudged onward:

["Now what would be really neat is if we could connect this historical documentation to some activity that we are doing at Shiloh." - Dan "Bro. Yoder" Hindman
                          Keep in mind we were looking at the timeframe prior to that little fracas at Shiloh. Some of the troops were not enjoying a good supply of chow, and others were doing just fine. Since the 8th Illinois Infantry was in McClernand's division, which was encamped at Savannah until just one week before the battle, we'll condense some of the cruel culinary pleasures enjoyed by regiments near Pittsburgh Landing for those long and tedious weeks prior to the battle, or at least for our two days down by the river. Our fearless leader believes, "they intentionally stationed McClernand across the river as the other officers disliked his excessive, violent temper, impetuous and rude actions. Also, being a supporter of southern Democrats probably did not make him popular either."

In a discussion fraught with wild speculation and various hard to believe claims, first and foremost amongst these was the assertion Jimbo Butler could actually read; however, our glorious leader did cypher the following from Wiley Sword's Shiloh: Bloody April:

"The concentration of troops at Pittsburg landing had been so rapid that it had outstripped the capacity of the subsistence department to provide adequate food for the men. 'We had nothing in shape of [soft] bread since we left Paducah,' one private in Sherman's division complained as late as March 23. Until the 55th Illinois received potatoes and flour on the same date, they were compelled to eat only hardtack." - Sword.
                          This is letting us know the enlisted folks weren't eating, as if at Delmonico's or noshing at The Willard. We speculated just how much fun it would be to serve nothing but hardtack, coffee, and empty promises of flour and 'taters. Suddenly, as if by magic, clear visions of stout trees, strong ropes, nooses, and stretched necks persuaded the victuals research committee otherwise.

Since this event has at least a dozen intrepid officers on paper, we thought it a grand idea to feed them lest they stay behind in Savannah to play "quarters" and other popular drinking games with Gen. Grant. Again from Sword:

"Many of the officers at the same time, however, enjoyed delicacies from home. Colonel Lauman wrote of eating such savory treats as canned tomatoes and cherries, homemade cake, and wine, all shipped by friends and relatives at home. Combined with the regular fare of 'bacon & beans' the officers of Lauman's mess, at least, ate well."
                          With the way bacon and beans are mentioned as regular fare here there and elsewhere, it leads me to believe they were common for everyone, and not just the officer mess. Few things, other than boiled cabbage and wonderful sauerkraut, ramp up the olfactory pleasures of a commodious Sibley tent like the Good Old Army Bean, especially slightly undercooked beans with little or no seasoning. Methinks there will be a form of "field music" in some quarters approaching the legendary battle of the bands. That being said, we now have some idea the officers were faring much better than their enlisted counterparts. Shades of the fabled Potomac Legion Camp Curtin living history! Oh, my. Ah, but we are slightly tipping the hand here....

We know Hoosiers like pies. Specifically, half pies, but I digress. Evidently, Suckers like bacon (who doesn't like bacon?), and the lads sallied forth to fetch them some of that Confederate commissary ubermeat near the end of March 1862:

"Although many enlisted men went without such luxuries, they were soon treated to an ample ration of meat. Toward the end of March several local citizens came to Savannah and reported to Grant that a large quantity of Confederate bacon was stored on the Tennessee near Nichols Landing, forty miles downriver. Grant quickly ordered one of McClernand's officers, Major Melancthon Smith of the 45th Illinois, to go and get it. Smith put two companies each of infantry and cavalry aboard a steamboat and sailed for Nichols Landing on March 24th." - Sword.

"Enlisting the aid of a Union sympathizer, Major Smith uncovered 'from 100,000 to 120,000 pounds' of pork, loaded it aboard his steamer and returned to Savannah about the twenty-seventh, all without incident. Grant had the pork distributed among the division commissaries, and for the next few weeks the aroma of frying bacon wafted about the Federal camps, courtesy of the Confederates." - Sword
                          At this point, most of us believed Jimbo owned but one book, but he continued quoting from Shiloh: Bloody April in spite of our most vocal protestations that poor old Ibid (good name for a mule) was slam worn out:

"The woods surrounding the Union camps were filled with 'Johnny-jump-ups,' as the men termed the familiar wildflowers, and hunting for wild onions and 'turkey peas' was a favorite pasttime." - Sword

"Prentiss's men found camp life 'kind of loose'. In contrast to Sherman's camps guard duty was light, drills were not yet regular routine, and food was excellent-one soldier found plenty of 'fried sowbelly,' steaming 'flapjacks,' and good strong coffee to satisfy his appetite." - Sword
                          Flapjacks!

Sowbelly!

Regularity!

Who wouldn't want to be a soldier? :)

Thus far, not one word about "coffee as gray and thin as well used Kisatchie dishwater...." Such a disappointment can hardly be expressed in words.

Fast forwarding to that fateful morning wake-up call, courtesy of A. S. Johnston:

This quote is in regards to Colonel Madison Miller of the 18th Missouri, commanding the 2nd brigade. At the time of the initial Confederate attack...

"Miller at the time was breakfasting with his regiment's field and staff officers on cold sliced beef, baked chicken, hot biscuits, butter, and coffee."....

"One officer hastily stuffed breakfast meat inside his shirt as he dashed off, reasoning with a good amount of common sense that it might be a long while before he had another meal."
                          Esteemed scholar, and roustabout Rick Gath contributed the following article describing the spoils captured by the Confederates (before the halftime show and the Union rally in the 3rd and 4th quarters) on that tremendous trend-setting first day:

Daily Morning News (Savannah, GA) Issue 96 col B
                          April 28th 1862

“The Victory and the Spoils”

“They had no care but for their own restoration and comfort, and the realization of the rich spoils of war. Such were the predominant feelings of the great majority of the soldiers. Under their influence they scattered through the enemy’s camp, examining with curious and exultant interest the abundance and variety of luxuries and comforts they contained”.

“But how vain the attempt to restrain our hungry, exhausted, and over-confident young men amid such unfounded resources of comfort luxury and gratification. Having marched, bivouacked and fought for three days, almost without food, they suddenly found themselves in the possession of everything that could minister to the appetite, or give refreshment and comfort to the body and soul”.

“Here were clothes of the most substantial and comfortable character, arms of every variety of the most ingenious and expensive construction, fine blankets, shawls, and every description of food, including rare luxuries and dainties such as preserved meats, oysters, vegetables and fruit, cheese, fine ripe apples, fresh butter etc. Of intoxicating liquors and wines there was fortunately a small quantity but a vast amount of medicine and hospital stores. It was quite apparent that our enemy enjoyed an abundance of all the comforts and luxuries of life.”

“Bake ovens, the greatest need of our soldiers, were plenty”.

“Many of these canteens contained a liquor, which our thirsty men mistook for wine, but on examination it proved to be that peculiar beverage of the Yankees known as switchel, composed of molasses, vinegar and water, making really a pleasant and refreshing drink”.

“Enormous quantities of cooked hams, of cheese, bread, fruit, pickled oysters and preserves disappeared before the voracious appetites of our wearied soldiers.”
                          Rick's newspaper find includes a reference to bake ovens. Again, beating Wiley into plowshares, we have this quote:

"Yet the enemy had hesitated briefly on approaching Peabody's camp. A private of the 25th Missouri thought this was due to sight of their Dutch ovens, fashioned of mud and used by the cooks to bake bread, which the enemy seemed to fear were masked batteries." - Sword]
                          Masked batteries? Hmmmm. While I'm not sure this proves Neal Sexton can be confused with a bake oven, it does say something about the lack of Union earthworks in April 1862. Eventually, but not in the austere environment we'll be portraying, the Federals were getting their share of freshly baked soft bread. One of the other items mentioned, albeit in a post-war account, is something readily available these days:

"Of course, it is desiccated potato - whatever that means and I wish you would write to the quartermaster general for a supply of it. I know it would tickle the boys to death. Say, it is the slickest thing you ever put in your mouth, just heavenly, you bet. And it is no trouble at all to prepare it. You just put a handful in a cup like this. I picked up this cup on purpose for the business, pour on a little water and when it comes to a boil let it cook about two minutes, then stir in a little pepper and salt; let it cool off a little and there you have it." - David Cornwell, Co. K, 8th Ill. Inf. - post-war
                          So, with a nod to In Hell Before Night and Bloody Shiloh, and some ramblings in the ORs on CD, the list of potential vittles expands a little here and there, and looks like this as a starting point: pie, potatoes, pie, flour, pie, hardtack, pie, flapjacks, pie, chees, pie, fruit, sorghum, pie, coffee, pie, canned tomatoes, pie, canned cherries, pie, cakes, pie, biscuits, pie, baked chicken, pie, ham, pickles, pie, butter, pie, bacon, pie, and beans. :D

What, no campaigner pizza?

I sure hope the sutler brings something worth eating. Hope springs eternal.
                          Last edited by Charles Heath; 03-31-2007, 05:00 PM. Reason: Quotes gone wild.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

OH Buggar!! I thought My pie, oysters ,Pie ,pheasant ,pie ,Cold Beer ,pie, Taters,Pie and Catfish, Pie and puppies and of course Pie would make the cut....
                            Grumble grumble
                            Last edited by Shotgun Messiah; 03-31-2007, 11:03 PM. Reason: Blasted Pie blindness!!!
                            Warren Hook
                            First Sibley Mess
                            New Madrid Guards
                            WIG

"...And to Missouri we
                            And welcome her a sister
                            Of our Confederate band
                            No one dare deter

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun Messiah View Post
                              "... and puppies and of course...."
                              Fido? No references to kagogi, or for that matter soju, or makali were found in the documentation. :p

I'm curious as to whether the "turkey peas" mentioned in the collection of wild foodstuffs was Astragalus nuttallianus, Tephrosia virginiana, or Corydalis Formosa, of which the latter two are more likely than the first. In any case, we won't be allowed to harvest vegetation on NPS lands, but it would be nice to kn ow for sure. Perhaps one of the herbalists can chime in.
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

If there is really any pie this time, I'm going to see that some lucky officer is dealt my Donelson hand. And I expect a fine speech!
                                Matt Woodburn
                                Retired Big Bug
                                WIG/GHTI
                                Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                                "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Working...
                                X