AARs from Pittsburg Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AARs from Pittsburg Landing

I figured someone would have written an AAR or two by the time Old Whitey the Wundertruck made it home to The Bunker, and I unpacked the truck, ran through the shower, and got a few hours sleep in a real bed....

Maybe they all died of food poisoning?
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: AARs from Pittsburg Landing

Well, I had a great time. Thanks to all the event organizers - in particular Mr. Butler. And yes, I was actually a little surprised by the Sunday morning "attack" - it's always great to get that rush when something unexpected happens. Mr. Heath, I seemed to have survived your cooking - when the other folks get out of the emergency room i'm sure they will post as well. Thanks again to all,
    Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
    [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks to all of you who supported the Encampment at Piitsburg Landing event. I want to tell you how impressed I was by the attitudes and bearing of all the men in attendance. Despite rain, wind and cold, you all played the part of soldiers and no one bailed out friday or saturady due to rain. We had 115 people at the event and 115 by Sunday morning. You guys did a fine job creating a fine, period encampment. The arm wrestling matches, shaving, music, etc all added so much to the event. Many thanks to the staff and officers for doing a fine job executing their duties at the event. Special thanks to Joe Smotherman for conducting and researching our PayCall. Thanks to Chadd Wilson for serving as our clerk and as Color Sgt. Andrew Jerram did a fine job as our adjutant and his experience was noted. Thanks for Hunter Poythress who acted as our Aide de Camp and also for his assitance in the fine points of battalion drill. I appreciated Brian Hicks assertivness and esprit de corps as our Sgt Major. You can't ask for any finer officers than Art Milbert, Dave Thomas, Steve Acker, Tom Klas, Jeremy Powell, Paul Jerram, Robbie Mitchell and Tim Arnold. Ross Lameroux, Kiev Thomason and Nathan Hellwig did great jobs running their companies as Orderlies. Many thanks to all the other NCOs who did a fine job. Thanks to all the hard work that Charles Heath did preparing the food for the weekend and thanks to his assitants Mr. Batten and Mr. Foust. Principal Musician Sean Cooper also kept up the martial airs throughout the weekend by leading our top shelf group of musicians. Matt Grubb did a fantastic job bugling in spite of the cold weather. Our Regimental surgeon Lawrence Jones and steward David Furukawa did such a fine job they made one visitor queasy with their presentation.Thanks to John and Beth Crabb for bringing us a fine Regimental Sutlery for our event. It was also great that Caudells came out to perform us Saturday evening despite the cold and wind. Also thanks to Tina Temm and Amber Brandon for braving the elements to document the event. If I forgot anyone, I apologize, but everyone did a fine job in executing their posts. Over and over, I am seeing such fine fellas from the ONV, WIG and SCAR coming together at events and working so well together. Additionally, we raised $1690 for the park.
      Again thanks to all of you!

Regards,
      Jim Butler
      Jim Butler

Comment

I had a grand time in the #2 mess, the weather reminded me of a Irish spring, the food was good (thank God for the catfish house circa 1832) and Sunday was great. Thanks Jim for another great event. Why was I shorted eight green backs at pay call again? The letter from home made me cry.:cry_smile Also Ross did a graet job as first seargent even though he was a little soggy. Thanks to all my sibley mates for all the laughs. Sorry about the wet gum blanket pvt Hill.
        Burt Page
        Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

Pittsburgh Landing taught this old dog a few new tricks. I never knew, until Saturday morning, that a roaring fire can be caused using damp matches, green wood and soggy paper IF you apply the magic ingredient: Commissary Sergeant Heath's volley of blasphemy.

I also learned the meaning of "impotence" on Sunday morning, when the Long Roll began to play. I was standing there, looking foolish, with nothing to defend myself except a dirty skillet, a damp rag and my own foul smell. I am sure that there were quite a few fellers at Shiloh who felt that way in April of 1862.

A good time was had by all, even if I had no contact with my toes for 36 hours. My thanks to all who put the event together, and to the Lord for making me appreciate central heating again.
          Andrew Batten

Comment

Despite the wet and cold, I had a blast personally. It was the first time since Rich Mt. that my pards Warren, Rick and I were able to get to an event together which was the icing on the cake. I couldn't ask for two better fellows to attend an event with. Met some new folks and really enjoyed the company of all.

I was certainly appreciative of those Sibleys. Even though it was still cold inside, there was a temperature variance and 45 degrees and dry is a lot better than 35 and wet. I managed to stay pretty warm through the whole weekend actually. The rain seemed to let up for the most part when we wanted it to and we were allowed to do the things we wanted to do for the weekend.

I have been attending Jim's LH at Shiloh for the last several years but this one was my favorite by far. The camp activities both planned and impromptu were great and certainly gave a feel for what it must have been like during those relative days of innocence before the Confederate attack and bloodletting that followed.

My hat is off to Mr. Butler, the WIG and especially Co. C. I think we looked pretty good out there.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

My hat is off to Mr. Butler, the WIG and especially Co. C. I think we looked pretty good out there.
              I thought that with the exception of some of the wheels (which always seem to cause problems - don't know why), that was the best drill I've seen in a while. As a sergeant behind Company "I", I noticed how straight our company line was in battalion formation. It wasn't just us. I looked down the line and the entire battalion was arrow straight.

Thanks to Jim for his hard work over the last several years. He has done an excellent job of getting us into my absolute favorite place. In 2004, we had a couple of Sibleys and seventeen troops. This year, we had twelve Sibleys and over one hundred troops. Thanks for allowing us access to one of the great Civil War sites.
              ERIC TIPTON
              Former AC Owner

Comment

Where was the baked chicken?

Why'd the vittles suck so dang bad?

Some of the fellows didn't quite understand why they were standing there with four hardcrackers in their hands and a cup of lukewarm black coffee, and were expected to call it "breakfast." Well, golly, imagine that for three weeks straight as your victuals for each and every meal. Yes, that wasn't as memorable as the mule feed at Fort Donelson (people are still beyatching about that), but it gave the lads a little taste of how much it must have sucked to have been weeks ahead of Grant's ability to supply much in the way of subsistence to the troops at Pittsburg Landing. As an aside, you were supposed to get five hardcrackers, but some fellow broke into the hardtack supply between 3:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m., and took enough to make a difference in the bread ration available for the rest of the participants.

This first account is an earlier Pittsburg Landing account (early March up to as late as March 23, 1862):

"The concentration of troops at Pittsburg landing had been so rapid that it had outstripped the capacity of the subsistence department to provide adequate food for the men. 'We had nothing in shape of [soft] bread since we left Paducah,' one private in Sherman's division complained as late as March 23. Until the 55th Illinois received potatoes and flour on the same date, they were compelled to eat only hardtack."

It continues...

"Many of the officers at the same time, however, enjoyed delicacies from home. Colonel Jacib G. Lauman wrote of eating such savorytreats as canned tomatoes and cherries, homemade cake, and wine, all shipped by friends and relatives at home. Combined with the regular fare of 'bacon & beans' the officers of Lauman's mess, at least, ate well."
                Some of the boys who were able to keep civil tongues about their breakfast, just couldn't hold it anymore when they saw the watery mix of beans, bacon, molasses, canned 'maters, mustard, and onions. Adding the bacon into the mix of bean goodness was prompted by this quote from Wiley Sword's book on the subject:

"Although many enlisted men went without such luxuries, they were soon treated to an ample ration of meat. Toward the end of March several local citizens came to Savannah and reported to Grant that a large quantity of Confederate bacon was stored on the Tennessee near Nichols Landing, forty miles downriver. Grant quickly ordered one of McClernand's officers, Major Melancthon Smith of the 45th Illinois, to go and get it. Smith put two companies each of infantry and cavalry aboard a steamboat and sailed for Nichols Landing on March 24th."....

"Enlisting the aid of a Union sympathizer, Major Smith uncovered 'from 100,000 to 120,000 pounds' of pork, loaded it aboard his steamer and returned to Savannah about the twenty-seventh, all without incident. Grant had the pork distributed among the division commissaries, and for the next few weeks the aroma of frying bacon wafted about the Federal camps, courtesy of the Confederates."
                Meanwhile, we needed to get the officers' boiled ham, lobster bisque, molasses glazed carrots, buttered parsnips, preserves, pickled peaches, other assorted pickles, soft bread, butter, ginger cakes, molasess, honey, canned peaches, cheese, cream, milk, switchel, and coffee together for their noon meal. We even left the fried salt herring and onions for a snack. It was a hard dang life over there on officer row with the food coming in wave after wave, and outflanking them on both sides. In addition to the usual blurbs in letters and journals, Rick Gath picked this out of a period newspaper:

Daily Morning News (Savannah, GA) Issue 96 col B
                April 28th 1862
                “The Victory and the Spoils”

“ Here were clothes of the most substantial and comfortable character, arms of every variety of the most ingenious and expensive construction, fine blankets, shawls, and every description of food, including rare luxuries and dainties such as preserved meats, oysters, vegetables and fruit, cheese, fine ripe apples, fresh butter etc. Of intoxicating liquors and wines there was fortunately a small quantity but a vast amount of medicine and hospital stores. It was quite apparent that our enemy enjoyed an abundance of all the comforts and luxuries of life.”

“Bake ovens, the greatest need of our soldiers, were plenty”.

“Many of these canteens contained a liquor, which our thirsty men mistook for wine, but on examination it proved to be that peculiar beverage of the Yankees known as switchel, composed of molasses, vinegar and water, making really a pleasant and refreshing drink”.

“Enormous quantities of cooked hams, of cheese, bread, fruit, pickled oysters and preserves disappeared before the voracious appetites of our wearied soldiers.”
                Since we didn't have any evening meal to prepare, we could consolidate the leftovers and slops for Sunday breakfast, and see what magic the ONV was going to work with the firepits and their Teutonic concoctions. Looks like while everyone else was eating catfish, they were going to have boiled corned beef, sauerkraut, sweet kraut, biled 'taters, and soft bread. It all looked good, and we appreciated the invitation to have a little something to eat. Not much went to waste, and we poured that in with the mystery stew for Sunday morning. In a fit of inspiration, we added the leftover fish and onions, and wondered if anyone would actually eat it with hash and flapjacks available.

We made a hash of the leftover ham (it was one chewy damned old hog, too) and the desiccated potatoes. Andrew Batten has the patience of a saint when it comes to cubing ham into 1/4" bits, and it looked damned attractive. Tasted good, too. As he said while cutting the meat, "Eternity can be defined as two men and a ham." Joel Foust does not like pancakes, so we had him make the flapjacks. This prevented the tasty morsels from being eaten as soon as they came off the skillet.

Thanks to Panzilla of Georgia, we had a bigass skillet for this purpose. I don't think the three smaller skillets would have worked out for this beyond slapstick comedy. That took care of the "improved" ration for one other company. Joel would cook them in the morning, which would be a speed challenge. One of the companies needed to be given a reason to be awarded pies. The smallest company appeared to be the WIG company, and they were awarded six pies for being the "best drilled company."

The hash went over well. The boys didn't come back for seconds on the flapjacks, we conveniently forgot to tell the officers about their flapjacks, and the pies were gone in about 90 seconds flat. We had some storage apples, and only about one in three men took an apple; however, four people managed to take some of the warmed over goop in the form of fish stew, and they are now in the Noble Order of Norwegians.

We pretty much covered the rations we could find per the history of the place, save for the oysters, baked chicken, turkey peas and wild onions, but the real magic was beans + kraut + Sibleys....

On to Vicksburg!
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Re: Where was the baked chicken?

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                  [I][B]

Since we didn't have any evening meal to prepare, we could consolidate the leftovers and slops for Sunday breakfast, and see what magic the ONV was going to work with the firepits and their Teutonic concoctions . . . the real magic was beans + kraut + Sibleys....

On to Vicksburg!
                  Hey all - would have written afore this, but had a bad case of road-bunout.

I would concur with Mr. Heath, there was a lot of German music coming out of the tents,
                  care had to be given when matches were lit.
                  I would like to thank Mr. Heath for the eggs he "found" to add to the bacon I "found" on
                  Friday evening, everybody got something to chew on.

A very big thanks to Jim Butler and all the other people who brought together a fine and
                  memorable event. Drill with Battalion numbers is something we don't get to do often
                  enough anymore, it was fun. Even the rain (some two inches deep in our tent by the
                  light of Saturday morning, we were in the last low tent with the groundcloth topper) and
                  the cold did not detract from that attack - I rode home with Cap'n Steve, who told me
                  the officers worked very hard to distract us with all the inspection instructions and then
                  changes to same right up to the last: it worked, when those shots went off and the men
                  came hollering from the woods we must have looked exactly like they did then - a "what
                  the hell is this, then?", followed by the furball of combat. Great moment, gentlemen!

I look forward to seeing ya'll at Vicksburg - Sgt Hicks, we have goods to trade (long as
                  there ain't no officers looking!) Until then
                  Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                  James C. Schumann
                  Mess #3
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

In talking to my ONV mates, the universal sentiment was we all had a large time. From battalion drill to the Sunday's surprise everything was well organized and effectively presented. I only wish I had a big bowl of Heath's Sunday morning compilation stew. That stuff could be bottled and sold at the local auto dealership.

Thanks Jim Butler for inviting us, thanks to the WIG and SCAR for finishing off an excellent battalion and finally thanks to all the ONV members who braved the weather and Jim Schuman's snoring for the good of the event and the history.

On an Outpost/Tag Note
                    I toured the site for this October's TAG event and am here to tell you Art and the WIG boys have chosen a good site. Creek, bridges, homestead, hilly fields, thick woods and the like will make an awesome location for the event. The site can easily swallow a 100 men on each side. My point is, the more we get registered the better the event so sign up now.

So far we have three companies for federal. The ONV, SCAR and HARD CASE BOY led companies will each field 25+ men. By the end of the week I hope to announce a fourth company. We need more. If you have the ability and the desire to put a 25 man company of quality federal folks in the field contact me.

Steve Acker

Comment

I will have to echo the sentiments of both Steve Acker and Jim (Baron von) Schumann. My messmates and I had a grand time at the event and are grateful for the opportunity to participate. Despite the cold dampness that clung to our bones until we departed on Sunday, it was a most memorable experience.

I would like to thank Charles and his crew for their company and cooperation by the cook fires while Karl Pasch, Scott Gutzke and I prepared the ONV's Saturday evening fare. We couldn't have pulled it off without their help and the use of some of their cooking contraptions. The mess line went along very smoothly and it appeared that the corned beef and potatoes were the most popular, followed by the sauerkraut, sweet kraut and boiled cabbage respectively. To our best estimations, the amount of sauerkraut a soldier asked for was proportionate to the amount of Dutchie blood that was coursing through his veins (Schumann got a double serving).

I, too, would like to thank Jim Butler and the S.C.A.R. for all of the work that went into putting on this event; and would also like to thank everyone who participated for their professionalism and camaraderie throughout the event. I am indebted to you all!
                      With kind regards,

[B][SIZE=3]David Frohmader[/SIZE][/B]
                      -[URL="http://www.oldsipley.3rdwisconsin.org/index.php"]Ol' Sipley Mess[/URL]
                      -[URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]“And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” — Abraham Lincoln[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

A big thanks goes to all. I had a great time and gathered many memories that will last a lifetime. I especially enjoyed the music Saturday night. That was a great treat and made a period moment for me. The suprise on Sunday was also outstanding! It made me realize what the soldiers had to of felt like on the morning of the 6th in 1862. Coming form Wisconsin though....I was hopingfor warmer weather, but the cold and the rain and waking up in the inch of standing water made the experience all the better. :)

Vicksburg is coming fast!!

Ryan Protz
                        aka George (Little Mac) Eaton
                        Granville Mess
                        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Hi gents,

As many of my ONV comrades can attest, the Shiloh NPS LH was an first rate experience. My thanks to Jim Butler and SCAR for and excellent NPS event. I would have to agree with Jim, the ONV, SCAR, and WIG work like a well oiled machine. It was a pleasure to be part of such a fine battalion. Also a pat on the back for Charles for all his great fixings. The three meat stew is already a classic.

To my ONV comrades, thanks for your efforts and hoping to see many of you at the Wilderness (many of the Hard Heads attending) and later this year at Outpost III.
                          Tom Klas
                          Hard Head Mess
                          Citizens Guard

Comment

Did anyone take any photos?
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                            Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by HOG.EYE.MAN View Post
                              Did anyone take any photos?
                              A couple of delightful young ladies were taking modern images, so the participants wouldn't have to whip out the miniature, portable, collodian devices in the midst of everything. I'd like to point out at this time that a number of approved vendors make and sell paletots and other warm wool foul weather garments that would be ideal for those two hardy gals braving the same wintry mix we did, but in cotton.

Ahem. Such things make excellent birthday and get-out-of-the-doghouse gifts.

The battalion had a lot of other things going on from the excellent sutlery, pay call, mail call, various drills, freezing local musicians, and some boys screaming "gas, gas, gas" in the tents.

P.S. In keeping with the Germanic theme, but fast forwarding it a few decades, I couldn't help but notice the steaming kettles of kraut attracted a very nice looking first generation VW Microbus. I have a soft spot for those old contraptions.
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X