AARs from Pittsburg Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AARs from Pittsburg Landing

Hope these are the right size...but here are a few thus far.

Jim Butler
    Attached Files
    Jim Butler

Comment

SCUBA Steve (Ewing) posted a few nice Shiloh pics on the GHTI page.

sigpic
      Grandad Wm. David Lee
      52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
      - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have posted some pictures to the Armory Guards website as well.
        www.armoryguards.org.
        [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
        [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
        [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Some pics are posted at

Tar Water Mess Photos

and

GHTI Photo page
          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
          [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Ladies and Gents,

Yeah it rained, yeah it was cold, and yeah we got wet, but I think I can speak for the Georgia contingient when I say that we had fun. (as you can tell from the pictures) I know the rain kept us from doing some activities. But even with the rain we still managed to have a good battalion drill, good scenarios, great camradiere, and a great impromptu arm rassl'n tournement. Congrats to the Corn King as the 8th Ill. Arm Rassl'n Champ.

The 'surprise' of Sunday morning was fun, I would have liked to cover the entire route that the 8th went, but it was still a good change of pace. My hats is off to the NCO's of C company (Comer Company) for the fine job they did, especially to Scuba Steve, Boozie, Andy Martin, Kevin Whitehead, And Brian Wilson for doing an admirable job as the Color Guard. They had no clue (well no one did) that they were needed as guards, so we took care of it quickly on Saturday morning.

Yup they A Frames and Sibleys saved out butts. The pies were excellent, and finally thanks to Chuck a Luck for giving us all of his money.
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

I had a great time. I'd like to thank:

Jim Butler for spearheading the whole thing.

Those who were behind the scenes (there were many) who helped put it on.

Shiloh National Military Park for hosting us.

Charles Heath for doing his usual fine job with the commissary.

Joel Foust for the lobster bisque.

Justin Runyon for the fine arm wrestling idea to make money.

My pards in the Sibley with me for the cheerful companionship and disgusting jokes and laughter.

Our company officers, Art Milbert and Paul Jerram, for putting up with us.

Tom for the beer.

Brittany for the accent and view.

Those who will be voting for me for governor.

And dear ole Chuck-a-luck for letting me clean his pocket. The battalion was a better place for it.
              Matt Woodburn
              Retired Big Bug
              WIG/GHTI
              Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
              "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Pards & Comrades,

I have participated in this event for three years.

This year's event had a much larger turnout than previous years.

I spent a good deal of time assigned to sick call. I was really able to appreciate the life of the camp we did well. When the boys were at drive there was still plenty of acitiviy back at camp.

I enjoyed the " tour on Sunday Morning

Thanks to those who attended the church service you voices were heavenly.

and the others like Dave gerows shaves and the arm wrestling. I also always enjoy a good political disscussion with Capt. Acker.

Being a real Sucker I am always appreicative to my pards as they represent the boys from my state. We did them proud.

Thanks to all who put effort into making this another fine event.
                Rod Miller
                [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                  A couple of delightful young ladies were taking modern images, so the participants wouldn't have to whip out the miniature, portable, collodian devices in the midst of everything. I'd like to point out at this time that a number of approved vendors make and sell paletots and other warm wool foul weather garments that would be ideal for those two hardy gals braving the same wintry mix we did, but in cotton.

Ahem. Such things make excellent birthday and get-out-of-the-doghouse gifts.

The battalion had a lot of other things going on from the excellent sutlery, pay call, mail call, various drills, freezing local musicians, and some boys screaming "gas, gas, gas" in the tents.

P.S. In keeping with the Germanic theme, but fast forwarding it a few decades, I couldn't help but notice the steaming kettles of kraut attracted a very nice looking first generation VW Microbus. I have a soft spot for those old contraptions.
                  A paletot would have been much appreciated this weekend. I guess that's what I get for not relying on modern methods in attempt to predict the weather. Great weekend, though! Thanks to all for the experience.
                  [I][COLOR="Navy"]Amber L. Clark[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

I've got some great memories from Pittsburg Landing, especially getting to meet some great people like Eric Tipton, a very fine NCO and person, and Charles Heath, who took care of our culinary needs. I think that the music of Saturday evening was a high (or low) point for me, as it started with the voice of an angel in the form of the citizens who came to play around the fire, then the fine banjo picking of Clif Hicks (who can forget "Cumberland Gap"), but ended with the improvisational lyricist Mr Heath with his many versions otherwise unprintable of "Dixie". I laughed til I cried (or was it just the cold?). I had quite an eclectic mix of company mates, from the legendary Mess #1 (good to see you again Joe), to my SCAR pards with the occasionally misunderstood Hal Merritt, and a few other guys thrown in the mix that I hadn't worked with before. I was very pleased with the attention to drill and camp duties that all members of Co I put forth, and an orderly sergeant couldn't ask for better NCO's and men under less-than-stellar conditions. Sergeants Preston and Tipton aided me greatly with things that slipped my memory or sight, and many thanks to Mess #1 for getting me through skirmish drill. I had many slips and oops, but the men carried on despite me. Thanks again to Cpt Thomas and Co. I, and to Jim Butler and staff.
                    Last edited by Ross L. Lamoreaux; 04-18-2007, 03:19 PM.
                    Ross L. Lamoreaux
                    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Comrades:
                      Thanks to all who organized this event, the opportunity to camp at Shiloh was enough in and of itself to make the event a success, from my point of view. As one of my pards put it, "even though it was raining, I could stand there in the rain just outside the company street and see the 2nd, 7th, and 12th Iowa monuments in the Hornet's Nest across the field, and I didn't really notice the rain anymore." A fine moment for us Hawkeyes, indeed.
                      Even though as an NCO I was "in on" the surprise attack, it still sent chills up my spine when the boys came tumbling out of the woods and the long roll sounded on Sunday morning.
                      This ham and potato hash sounds interesting, its the first I heard of it- the fish stuff and flapjacks were the only option when Company K drew breakfast on Sunday. I will take credit for being one of the brave few who tried the fish mush- it actually wasn't too bad! Although I wasn't too thrilled when the fish sauce ran onto my flapjacks...
                      It was great to finally meet my comrades in the ONV, even if (as I was unable to attend BGR) I had nothing to say!
                      What a godsend to lay inside the "wigwam" Friday night as the rain poured down and not get wet (from above, at least.)
                      I have one small nit to pick, though. Both our field music and the Saturday evening entertainers sounded great, and I appreciate very much the long hours of practice it takes to become as proficient as they all were. However I guess I don't expect to attend an event with such high standards and hear "Marching Through Georgia." Not a good song for April 1862 (and actaully not even a wartime song at all.) Again our music and the entertainers sounded great, I just would appreciate a little discernment in song selection.
                      It was sad that the weather depressed visitor turnout to almost nil, but I had a great time anyway. Thanks

Arch Campbell
                      Hairy Nation
                      Last edited by trippcor; 04-18-2007, 01:41 PM. Reason: Add signature
                      Arch Campbell
                      Hairy Nation
                      Loyal Union League
                      Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Arch Campbell View Post
                        This ham and potato hash sounds interesting, its the first I heard of it- the fish stuff and flapjacks were the only option when Company K drew breakfast on Sunday. I will take credit for being one of the brave few who tried the fish mush- it actually wasn't too bad! Although I wasn't too thrilled when the fish sauce ran onto my flapjacks...
                        Arch,

Each company received something a bit different for breakfast Sunday morning, in the typical carefully orchestrated chaos that is the cookhouse's attempt to use leftovers. First company received the desiccated potato and leftover ham (from the officer's mess) hash, which appeared to be popular. A similar concotion was prepared for the Sunday morning breakfast at the 2nd Bull Run NPS LH last year using the homemade salt pork and desiccated potatoes, so we figured if it wouldn't kill easterners then the western folks would probably eat it, too. The kettle was darn near licked clean within minutes at Shiloh. We may try this again, as the desiccated 'taters are lightweight, and take up very little space -- just like the originals in that respect. As to sampling the slop bucket on the line...you are a brave man. Brave.

Originally posted by Arch Campbell View Post
                        However I guess I don't expect to attend an event with such high standards and hear "Marching Through Georgia."
                        If no one is singing the words, just consider it "Bedbug and the Flea," which is where the tune originates. Darned if we can ever find the lyrics for this, though. One of my favorite tunes, and for those who are fans of the movie "Tombstone," it was nice to see it incorporated in one of the saloon scenes.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Ron Roth & Shawn Parsons of our mess took a few pics at Shiloh.
                          Regards
                          Bill O'Dea
                          Salt Boiler mess

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
                            I had a great time. I'd like to thank:

Jim Butler for spearheading the whole thing.

Those who were behind the scenes (there were many) who helped put it on.

Shiloh National Military Park for hosting us.

Charles Heath for doing his usual fine job with the commissary.

Joel Foust for the lobster bisque.

Justin Runyon for the fine arm wrestling idea to make money.

My pards in the Sibley with me for the cheerful companionship and disgusting jokes and laughter.

Our company officers, Art Milbert and Paul Jerram, for putting up with us.

Tom for the beer.

Brittany for the accent and view.

Those who will be voting for me for governor.

And dear ole Chuck-a-luck for letting me clean his pocket. The battalion was a better place for it.
                            Those who will be voting for me for governor....

Actually Matt I have stuffed the ballot boxes here in Missouri as well as crossing the Border and voting for you there in Kansas and Stuffing Ballots and passing of copious amounts of Liquor about,again as is fashion here out west, (The Killing of Jayhawkers and other Kansas trash is just a side effect ...and purely a local custom. Burning and Murder, other forms of debauchery are coincidental)

{ any offenses in your name are withheld appending approval }.... paid for and approved by the Woodburn for Governor( of several states) by Chuck-A-Luck Foundation ,Inc .
                            Last edited by Shotgun Messiah; 04-18-2007, 05:36 PM. Reason: Blantant Bias versus Kansas in general.. explicitives removed
                            Warren Hook
                            First Sibley Mess
                            New Madrid Guards
                            WIG

"...And to Missouri we
                            Extend both heart and hand
                            And welcome her a sister
                            Of our Confederate band
                            Tho surrounded by oppression
                            No one dare deter
                            Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
                            Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

Well, better late than never I suppose ... I've actually spent the better part of the last three days getting over an hellacious chest and head cold that worsened considerably at Shiloh, so I got a taste of some of the hardship and discomfort even those pampered officers :wink_smil felt back then when they got sick. I think the flood of biblical proportions in the tent on Friday evening may also have had something to do with it :D

Anyway ... I had a memorable time at Pittsburg Landing this past weekend and enjoyed seeing some excellent impressions and some things you don't see too much of on a regular basis; the arm wrestling matches, enacted (and supported) with much gusto ... the period shaves ... Ezra Barnhouse ... and people with a common goal working together, establishing that "esprit de corps" that Jim Butler asked us, pre-event, to strive for.

I'd like to thank Capt. Art Milbert and Lt. Robby Mitchell for allowing me to bunk with them (even though it was apparent that both of them, either side of me, were trying to erect their own lumber yard, with much hewing and sawing of logs on Saturday night); Mr. Chawls Heath and his cooks for their excellent provisions; the men and NCOs of Company C for their hard work and pulling together as a Company ... it showed on the field and in the camp ... and a special thanks for inviting me to share in the pie on Sunday morning - a first rate breakfast! Thanks to all the men on staff for your friendship and camaraderie; and Jim Butler for pulling it all together. What you "invest" in the event (my first time there) is apparent and is a labor of love - thanks Jim!

I won't be at Vicksburg as my daughter will be making me a first time Grandpa around that time ... but I look forward to falling in alongside many of you again, sometime in the near future.
                              Last edited by Paul Jerram; 04-18-2007, 10:03 PM. Reason: I forgot to say thanks for the pie!
                              Paul Jerram
                              Black Hats Mess
                              Armory Guards, WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X