Casualties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Casualties

Never underestimate power of casualties on your own experience. I remember a few years back at Pickett's Mill when everyone received "fate" cards, the experience was nothing short of magical. Since everyone (at least on the Federal side) knew their fate prior to the battle and was forbidden to communicate it to their pards, the effect was striking. Casualties were formed into a separate "dead" company and did lantern tours for the public for the remainder of the day. They were not seen until the following day.

My soldier was slightly wounded during the battle, but survived the battle and the war (lucky him). I was in a mess of about ten men made up of our mess and some old 'Sills. After the battle there were three of us left, me and two other 'Sills (Jimmy Rapais and Jeff Dewey). Everybody else was gone and it was a lonely and somber night that night. Camp was very quiet. You couldn't help but feel kind of lucky, but not exactly. My favorite moment was when a younger soldier who had survived complained to the sergeant "but my pard has all our mess gear," and got a wry smile for his efforts. No soup for him that night.

Find me a way to duplicate that and I'm all for it.
    Bob Muehleisen
    Furious Five
    Cin, O.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliron View Post
      My favorite moment was when a younger soldier who had survived complained to the sergeant "but my pard has all our mess gear," and got a wry smile for his efforts. No soup for him that night.
      Glad you contributed this story. I will definitely have to remember to be the one hauling the most important parts of the mess gear. Especially the coffee beans and boiler.

Joel Phillips

The Flatlander's Mess
      Joel Phillips

Comment

Terry, well said!

Going to what Pat Landrum and Doug have already said, the event coordinators have probably already addressed this issue.

Bob, good story from Picketts Mill. It reminds me of how we lost our "beloved" Cap'n Tripp atop Rich Mtn. But Eric did an "Outstanding" job of continuing the effort!
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Working...
        X