Outpost III - AAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outpost III - AAR Thread

Rob Murray and I got back to Minnesota @ 5:00 AM Monday, after dropping Col. Sorchy and Ryan Protz off in southern Wisconsin. I am still digesting the weekend. Cannot for the life of me recall everywhere we went Saturday! Col. Sorchy had asked that I assist with the battalion drill, serving as a general guide. Once we got into the field, being on the left of the line, I found myself with Capt. Ewing's Company B - had no idea that it would soon be the "Foot Cavalry!" The captain asked me, as a sergeant "without portfolio," to walk with him much of the weekend. Since the little flag in my musket didn't read "bang," the second time we crept through the woods looking for the 2nd platoon, down by the bridge - about 3:50 AM, I pulled the thing out of my weapon and loaded it! After that I tried to cover our valiant leader, but keeping up with him was not always easy...

Late on Saturday, we left the main Union camp to return to the left flank and our home in the sunken road. The Critters were in the hollow near the bridge as we marched through. Among the usual cat calling and animal noises (mostly from Sgt. Leichty!), one Critter stated "Hard Travelled Sons-o-Bitches..." Amen!

Though I had in the past served with some of the men of Co. B, we hadn't shared canteens before. Now they are great friends! That is a true highlite for me.

BTW - we hit the rear of the Tennesseans camp, swept past a few cavalry horses, and engaged cav. When CS infantry started arriving, we thought they were a reserve, then more and more were swinging in and hitting us in front and flank, so we recoiled....having no idea the success being enjoyed by Companies A & C! If you heard our bugler sounding what sounded like "Dixie" - that was a special call for HELP!!!

Since most of you didn't get to see where the "Why Not?" boys were all weekend, here are a few images of our camp, my pards, and the view of the rear of the Confederate postion. Sadly, the few images I tried to get of the CS line Sunday morning didn't turn out!

Thanks to the WIG & ONV leaders for a great event, the new friends, and one heck of a great experience!

Jim Moffet
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
      As usual, one of the great advantages coming out of an event like this is training and experience. Training as a battalion is one of those. On Friday at the US camp, Commander Terry Sorchy called out the officers, 1st and 2nd Sgts and Guides and gave us all a piece of string corresponding to the length of a company front. For the next hour we maneuvered through the school of the battalion. It was invaluable and helped cement the various parts of the battalion together...and came in very handy on the "debatable ground."
      Ah, shades of battalion drill at Fort Wayne about 5 years ago with Nick Medich. Using a rope in place of privates is a good idea... it spares the privates from suffering through the steep part of the learning curve on the part of the officers and NCO's.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hello-
        If anyone so happened to take pictures of the event besides Mr. Moffet, I'm sure everyone would love to have them posted. Didn't I see a man in modern clothes with a tripod? Hmmm...

Thanks- Johnny :D
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Howdy fellas,
          Personally, this was one of the most memorable events in a long time:D. I think I felt a touch of every emotion that a WBTS soldier would have felt. The thrill of the assault:), the elation of seeing the enemys' back:D, then the fear of seeing them regroup. Those followed by the frantic rush of men in retreat, and the worry for lost and missing comrades:cry_smile. Finally the boredom of the pickett line, the tense lull before a fight, and the warmpth of friends (physical, and emotional).
          Id like to give big thanks to all the organizers, and people that helped to make the event a great one. Also, Ill try to publish my journal in a day or two.

See yall later!
          -Ricky Jones

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"]In Memory of [SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE]st. Lt. David Allen Lawrence, 44th G.V.I. / K.I.A. Wilderness, Va.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Moffet

That picture of us in the skirmish battle would make a nice painting.

I'll have my full report out tonight which may shed so light on the exploits of the "Foot Cavalry / Ghost Company." "Hard travelled, hard fighten, sons-o-bitches" indeed.
            [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
            [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Hi All,

Just rolled in to home lastnight. Man what a FANTASTIC event.

Thank you to Terry for having me be the Topog Eng for the staff. It was a true honor to work with Col Terry Sorchy, Capt "Skip" Owens, 1st Lt Andrew Jerram & Sgt Maj Adam Johnson. It was great to make some new friends and working with you all. It is great how the staff became efficient so quickly.

Thank you to the The Company A, B & C's Comanding Officers & 1st Sgt Adair of the Cavalry. It was a pleasure to work with you fellows & be apart of the councels of war. I could not have updated the maps as well as I could with out the help of the Company Co's!

It was a very intersting being the Topo Eng, having the challenge to have to furnish the maps to the Company CO's uppon Terrys orders, & to be constantly trying to take in the intel from 1st Sgt Adair and the company comanders to keep the maps updated for the staffs use. I ran along the lines more times than I would like to count, getting the information needed.

It was great to see how the use of the map in the councels of war, the constant use in the filed durring opperations, translated to the movements of the batalion. As well as their use in correcting & amending the plans when the tactical situation changed

Sunday was the best example with all three companies working in concert while being separated by the heavy brush and thick forested areas. Only working by bugel and the plan that was laid out the night before

Most of all I want to thank my brother Tom Smith, He has been teaching me how to be a Topog Eng ( Currently I am learning how to be a Topo Eng Draftsman). He deserves the real credit for teaching me what I know & what I was able to do for this last weekend.

For those of you that don't know, Tom did the maps for the WIG, and I did the ones for the 89th Ill, It is one of the few times that at a tactical event BOTH sides had hand drawn accurate maps.

At times being a Staff Topog Eng is like being a "Mall Kiosk" simply telling the Staff "You are here" and guiding them as to which way the land lays, compass bearing, etc, alowing them to do their work more efficently.

It was amazing to see how each of the fights developed.

Most memerable is seeing the Cavalry come galoping in to the fight on the flanks and to see Co B come in the nick of time to close the gap on Sat AM or to open a fire on the flank of the enemy on Sun AM.

It was a fantastic time & would do it again in a heatbeat

I feel fortunate to have made new friends and strengthen the old bonds.

thank you to the WIG for another Superior event!

I am looking forward to the next time out

Don S

D.F. Smith
              Bvt 2nd LT
              U.S. Corps Topo Eng
              Attached to the 89th Ill Inf Regt.
              Last edited by D F Smith Historic; 10-30-2007, 11:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
              Don F Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Federal Bummer View Post
                That picture of us in the skirmish battle would make a nice painting.
                Gimme back that brain cell! I was thinking how much it reminded me of Mike Thorson's enjoyable artwork when I read your post.

The Skirmishers
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

One More thing

I need the maps that each of the Company COs have with notations of where they were on Sun marked on their map , and/or AAR's

I need marked on the maps:

Starting position, Mid point position & finish position for Sunday AM Fight

I need these so I can make the finish map showing the actions of Sunday.

Also If the CS Comanders could send me their recolections of where they were on Sunday so I can have their positions on the map as well.

I will let all know who want a copy of it once I am finished drafting it

I look forward to hearing from you

All the best

Don S
                  Don F Smith

Comment

Hey Cornfeds. Had a great time. Please make sure you look back later this evening. I have lots of great pics. Specifically those with Trip's Company A.

Joel Phillips
                    The Flatlander's Mess
                    Joel Phillips

Comment

First of all I want to thank Carrie Craddock for organizing the civilian side of this event. She did a fantastic job and she made everything very comfortable for all of us, especially those of us who traveled aways to get there. One thing I want to note about Carrie is her ever present good humor and good spirit. Out of anyone I've ever met in the hobby, she actually knows how to "play well with others." I won't go off onto this too much, but I find this lacking in the hobby and it's good to know there are still people who don't feel the need to add a bunch of unnecessary drama at events. I know I've said this before, but I try to remind myself at these things that this is all something we do for the pure joy of it all. Somehow experiencing maybe even just a small portion of what our ancestors may have experienced gives me chills up and down my spine. I feel that I learn so much more by actually living their every day life rather than just reading about it. There really aren't very many chances where one can go live in a log cabin for a weekend. So kudos to everyone out there for making this a wonderful and most enjoyable event for us.

It had been about three years since I'd been to Brown's cabin so it was fun to see it again and get the chance to stay in it over the weekend. Some of the guys had also constructed a pretty little outhouse, which was probably the highlight of the event. (Okay, not really.) But it was a neat addition. I felt like I was staying in a five star hotel compared to the typical arrangements we find ourselves in at events.

Friday night we found we had visitors who we thought would only stay the night and leave in the morning, but were surprised to find stayed camped at our place the entire weekend. They were very "considerate" to situate their horses in front of our house and conveniently in front of the outhouse. So every time we had to go use it, we not only had to walk over a bunch of horse crap, we also had a bit of an audience. Probably my least favorite experience of the weekend. Although I will admit, the writings the guys made on the inside and outside of the outhouse did put a smile to my face. I finally got to meet the famous rowdy bunch of Critters. I'd heard a lot about them and they definitely lived up to their name. We found out early Saturday morning that they meant business when one guy kicked open our door at 3:30 telling us he wanted coffee and we were to get up NOW! What I really wanted to do at that point was to dump a bucket of hot coals on his head. I think I got all of two hours of sleep that night. But I'm sure something like this may have happened in the period. All I know is I was genuinely angry at them for harassing us so early in the morning. So in that sense, it was pretty realistic!

It felt like it took hours for the sun to come up on Saturday, mostly due to the fact that we all thought we had gotten up at closer to 5a.m. instead of 3:30 so it took four hours to finally look like morning. The whole day I felt sleepy and it was odd seeing all the men camped around us, never a moment of silence or lack of wise-cracks from the men. Later that morning we found some soldiers coming into camp with a confederate prisoner. It was our friend Jeremy who they had said got lost and captured. I don't know if that's actually what happened, but it was odd seeing a friend of ours in our midst. I didn't know if I should say anything, seeing as the federals were camped all around us. Silvana mentioned something and the federals must have heard her because I saw them questioning Jeremy. I heard him say "I don't know who the hell that woman is." It's funny what circumstances will do to your memory. Perhaps he thought they would do something to us if they found out we did know him. A bit later a few more of our friends were captured and brought into camp. Part of me is kind of happy they got captured so we could see some of our rebel friends. Although I do wish the federals hadn't stayed quite so long. I felt almost like I was intruding on someone else's home as I always had to watch what I said around them. I wonder if it was like that in the period. I think in the period one would almost feel like they were taken prisoner and a bit helpless in their own home. I felt like I pretty much had to do anything they asked me to do as we were very much outnumbered. The one thing I found amusing was how much coffee the men seemed to need. Now don't get me wrong, I do understand the need of good strong coffee at events and I imagine men without any sleep would want even more. But every time I looked around I saw Terry Sorchy coming over with a bucket in his hand and a can of Essence of Coffee ordering us to make him more. (I will note that I'm glad Terry is actually a very fun loving man in real life, even though he comes across as a bit of a mean, stern looking guy when he's doing first person. Just wanted to point out that we don't actually think he's horrible in reality. ;-) )

I'm probably forgetting so much more, but I wanted to say I truly enjoyed my time and I feel that I learned a lot last weekend. It always takes awhile for me to get back to reality after events and I know this one will be especially hard. Even with all the inconveniences, I think the one thing we all enjoy most about the hobby is that it gives us a chance to live a simpler life. We get so caught up in our modern way of life and it's nice to step back into a world where the worries almost instantly go away. Big things you're dealing with in every day life don't seem very big anymore. I also enjoy the friendships I've made and the new people I meet at every event. I usually tell my non-reenactor friends that it's kind of like a big family reunion. We have all these people who have this one interest who are very passionate about it and there's this bond we make that I think is very special. I don't believe many people in our life experience this type of bond and I really think it's neat to be apart of it.

Anyway, thanks again for all the people involved in getting this event together. A big thanks goes to Art Milbert for putting in your time and effort to make this a success. I know it's a lot of hard work and you don't get nearly as much thanks as you deserve. In most cases you probably get a lot of negative feedback about how you should do things better, but I want to say you were awesome. I wish I could do more to show my gratitude. Take care and I hope to see new and old friends again soon!
                      Attached Files
                      Anna Allen
                      <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                      [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

First I would like to thank the organizers and my company for an enjoyable weekend. I think we all learned a little something from this.
                        I was Francis Marion Davis, Commanding Company F, 20th Tennessee. If Col. Milbert or staff want a report I will be glad to e-mail it.

We charged to the top of the ridge twice on Saturday both times finding the natives hostile and friends far away. During the second assault we had to retreat to the edge of the ridge backed by a hill as steep as Chapultepec. I thought all was lost when Sgt. Mitchell appeared with around 20 men and helped us as we tried to push the federal company off the ridge. Then appeared that fantom federal company in their support. Cavalry to our right, and I still don't think I've had time to digest everything that happened in 5 minutes. We had no choice but to retreat.

I only have one question. Why didn't the federal companies persue? As I looked back up that hill I was greatly relieved to see blue sky and no "sky blues." Even more so greatful that you all allowed us to show ourselves out the side door. *By advancing to the edge after we left it you could have fired into the tops of our heads and ended Company F right then. I was curious why you didn't.

Side note to Mr. Coley Adair. That was your chance sorry you missed us. I was hoping to meet up with you. I will talk to you later.
                        Frank Aufmuth
                        Frank Aufmuth
                        When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Originally posted by Campjacksonboy View Post
                          I only have one question. Why didn't the federal companies persue? As I looked back up that hill I was greatly relieved to see blue sky and no "sky blues." Even more so greatful that you all allowed us to show ourselves out the side door. *By advancing to the edge after we left it you could have fired into the tops of our heads and ended Company F right then. I was curious why you didn't.
                          Frank after your assault both comapnies in your front were partly disorganized and low on ammo. Your cavalry had also appeared in our center and the large rebel company was still postioned on our right flank. We were in no shape at this point. We had to secure our line and tend to the wounded and prisioners. Once Companies A and C were restabilized, Comapny B was needed back at its post in case the enemy made the flank march Coley and myself was sure to come that afternoon.
                          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
                          [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Man it was great. I was in Capt. Landram's Company Lt. Nixon’s platoon. Man all day Saturday I saw no reason why we could not have pushed the Yankees all day. They seemed un organized and lucky. Every time we went forward we pushed them but we were always ordered to fall back. Even on Saturday night standing picket I was thinking well we accomplished our mission to keep the enemy in check and we would finish them in the morning. Well then there came 6am Sunday and we were roused out of camp and skirmished with Yankee infantry and cavalry trying to get into the rear of our camp. Well it seemed confusion reigned on our side and the Yankees took the advantage. We had given up our canteens to get refilled and they soon got captured for the Yankees unleashed hell on us. We just kept getting pushed and those damn troopers with repeater hurt us bad. Finally we were pushed out of the camp and were totally routed. As we rallied on the other side of the cornfield I noticed we had lost about 45% casualties.
                            All in all I had many of those in the moment times. For this to be my first campaign event it was great!

Michael Mumaugh
                            Michael Mumaugh
                            Interpretive Ranger Mansfield SHS
                            Independent Rifles

"Fall of the Rebellion"
                            Outpost III
                            Pickett's Mill
                            Bummers

"Desertion of Alabama troops in the Civil War was a manifestation of sectionalism in the state, due largely to the prevalence of poverty"-Bessie Martin

Comment

Ms. Siddali,

The oh so popular outhouse of glory was constructed by The two Marks, Pat Craddock, Art Milbert, Kiev Thomason, myself back in August. They actually let me use power tools. :)

Part of the roof on Brown's Stand was replaced by Kiev and myself with great assistance from tall Mark Choate.

I know a lot of the Johnnies wanted to drop by to say hello/nag you, but the Billies liked it so much they decided to stay over the weekend. Oh well, perhaps next time.
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

"The oh so popular outhouse of glory was constructed by The two Marks, Pat Craddock, Art Milbert, Kiev Thomason, myself back in August."

Someone, and I don't remember who (I think it was Smotherman but I could be wrong) asked who built the outhouse roof so's you'd get wet going in & coming out? :tounge_sm

Since it didn't rain, I reckon it wasn't much of an adversity. The privy did end up with some interesting graffiti, though.

Kim Caudell

Comment

Working...
                                X