Outpost III - AAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outpost III - AAR Thread

I had a wonderful time for my first progressive event. Thank you to the men in the ONV for taking me in. I felt liked I belonged with my new pards in 4th section Co. A (the best section in the regiment :) ). The ONV are top notch and the first person was great all weekend. It was nice to drive home talking about the few times first person was broken instead of talking about the few times first person was active.
    So many experiences there were new to me and made for some very memorable moments. Using ramrods really added to the weekend, staying loaded, sleeping on arms and just staying ready to spring into to action at any moment in general. 2-5am picket duty (thankfully my section missed being captured but not by much). It was a very interesting feeling realizing in the dark that our Orderly Sgt and a couple of Pvts were MIA. Heck, the whole weekend was a memorable moment. Including getting that hot boiled potato in the ranks Sat night. It was truly the best dang potato to ever cross my lips! Also, I don’t think I have ever been so active with such little sleep. To sum it all up with a quote from a friend of mine “It sucked so bad it was good”.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Much has already been written so far, so I will try not to to re-tread (too much) on ground already covered.

The Good

Being in a live situation where you have to be alert, rely on your wits, follow commands and find opportunity.

A worthy adversary - While we were galavanting all over the place, the Rebs were moving just as quickly. Tactically, I had many period moments watching maneuvers in the field and I take my hat off to you boys for the spirit of friendly competition. Kind of hard to shoot at a bunch of guys you like.... well, not really. ;)

Eating a humongous (and quite savory) chunk of "just-off-the fire" beef given to us by the Liberty Rifle Boys as we headed out for picket. Man, it burned the roof of my mouth, but it was gooooood.

89th Illinois Company "B" - Being in a company that was able to roll the flank of the opposition twice in one weekend, not to mention a cross-country mad dash to get to the rear of the Confederate "Fortress" on Sunday. Man, we all ran our tails off all weekend. Of course, by the time we reached our first stop on the way home, we rolled out of the cars looking more like the bunch of old, decrepit men we are. I think everyone who attended got quite the workout. We told you we would find your wagon Kiev. ;)

"Why Not?" - Jim Moffit referred to the "Why Not Boys" in his post. We learned that a famous house of ill-repute in Chicago was called "Under the Willow". Being from Chicago, our regiment would have been quite familiar with this establishment as it was of some reknown during the war. Based on a history that our fearless scholar Joe Liechty found, painted on the shades of the windows in gilded letters was the phrase "Why Not?" Apparently, this phrase became a catch-phrase of sorts in the army and we managed to work it into as many conversations as we could throughout the weekend. As in... Stay up all night in the cold, sleep in the mud, get thirty minutes of good sleep while worrying about getting swept up by cav while you are taking a whizz at an event? Why Not?

Taking Hits - I dread coming home from an event where people didn't go down and come back to this site to read all of the complaining and back-biting. That didn't happen at Outpost based on what I saw with some very small exceptions. Based on the number of prisoners and casualties mentioned in the posts and the people I saw go down in the field, I thought that probably 90% of what we did this weekend appeared to follow the realities of the sitiuations. Perfect? No. Very well-done? Yes.

The Terrain - The way the site is set up, it had just the right amount of space to do what we needed to do. I was a little skeptical personally at the outset, but the objectives established for the event melded very well with the site. Other than some modern "white noise" the site was very pristine and offered great obstacles for maneuvering. We clung to the ford across the woods for the entire weekend after we took it early, early, early on Saturday morning.

The People - I have said it before and I'll say it again - the more of these we all attend, the better we get to know each other and the more we can build our base. This event, for me was the highlight of the season and the perfect ending for a very good year.

The "Just Curious"

All right, there was one little item that was grumbled about at the event, which didn't effect the outcome or my overall opinion, but was grumbled about nonetheless. A lot of guys wanted to get out to our camp site earlier than we did Friday night and I wondered about it myself. Our camp site was approximately 200 yards across of one the ubiquitous corn fields on the site and it seemed like there was an extended limbo period until we moved out at 11:00 PM or so. Once we got out there, of course, we slept and everything from there went like clockwork from a lowly corporals perspective, but people were wondering

The Hilarious

Watching Herb Coates and Tripp on top of that ridge on Saturday as we came up behind them. Herb, that look on your face was absolutely priceless. For a half-second, you looked like one of those cartoon characters who pauses in midair in running stride. I'm not sure what got into us, but we were screaming like Yankee Banshees into that gap. We mentioned to Captain Ewing later that we had to check the men for their heads after his wild saber-swinging on the dead run. :)

Bernie Bierman's continuously-unfortunate position in proximation to Liechty's, um, rear cannon blasts throughout the weekend. Bernie, are your ears still ringing?

The Conclusion

Honestly, this event ranks in my top five I have attended. Sometimes an event is great because of the scenario. Sometimes an event can be great because of the people you ge to fall in with, and sometimes an event just kind of takes on it's own life. I think that this event had all of those qualities and a helluva lot of forethought and preparation to-boot. We have made many great friends traveling in this circuit we have all created and for this weekend, I thought that each side and the poor trapped citizens in the Yankee Belly came with their A-Games for this one.

Thanks to Terry Sorchy - our prodigious commander on the Federal side. Terry, you had a lot on your plate for this one and I thought you managed things quite nicely. Always a pleasure to run with the cheddar.

Thanks to all for a great and memorable weekend. See you in Nashville. Why Not?
      Last edited by Eric Tipton; 10-30-2007, 07:12 PM.
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

A few more neat pics. I thought they were worth posting.
        Attached Files
        Elizabeth Landrum
        IR Team Mom

Comment

Mr. Lloyd,

A totally unsolicited bit of advice, yours for consideration for the future if it is of any value or merit;

When alone, one might not want to enter into dealing with the "enemy" when there are two of them standing before you taunting you to come forward with half a dozen of their pards watching. One never knows what will ensue with such unruly types. Especially after the picket previously standing your post (or might have been you) said such peculiar and unflattering remarks about our dear wives, sisters, and other parties best left unmentioned. Such unflattering discourse on the picket line always leads to the need to defend the aforementioned ladies’ honor.

That being said, my only regret was that I though we were going to physically subdue you and take you into our lines. We might have been unarmed, but there were two of us, and you were a pretty small fella compared to us. Our rations were quite low (we eat a lot) and we were in need of food. We had never cooked and eaten a real live Yankee before, so we figured it was time. Hence why I tossed you to the ground... But when I saw the Corporal had skedaddled with your coffee (unknown to me at the time it was without surrendering any of his tobacco...), well… you know the rest.

So I suspect losing your coffee and not falling into the enemies hands was a fair trade. And judging by the general disinterest of your fellow pickets, we might have succeeded. Just as well, we probably would not have had time to properly cook you.

I will add that the three Federal prisoners I was a party to guarding prior to Saturday’s prisoner exchange were superb in keeping 1st person and putting up with our vengeful corporal and his detail of angry confederates whose home state they have invaded. They went along superbly and even gave us "hard mean looks" when freed.

Later that evening on picket duty I remarked to the good Corporal he had better do his best not to get captured himself, for sake of Yankee claims of reparations and revenge!

From my view point of first file in Co D, it was a good event and great to see all!

Regards to all…
          Last edited by buckandball; 10-30-2007, 04:46 PM.
          Ben Grant

Founder and sole member of the Funnel Cake Mess

Comment

Ben, something tells me you are more than ready for the Donner Party event. I suppose this is a bad time to inform you one of those three Saturday guests, er, um, prisoners was (and is) first cousin to Canadian Bacon.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Buck-

Didn't tell you that Ol' Corporal Troy covering behind me at the time had one of them fancy REPEATING weapons and he's a dead-on shot with that Ma-Deuce he was manning that day, mind-you-that, my good man!

Ya'll are big boys, granted, but that makes you bigger targets for us. What do they put in the water down South these days to growed ya'll up so big?

As far as the ladies' honor, well, we wuz just as down-raght crude back at ya' so I calls it fair as far as verbage was concerned...

... but certainly not as far as the "trade" was concerned! :D LOL

As for the whole sit-chation, I went with it because you know something like that probably WAS period. For all you know, you COULD have captured me and then persuaded me to take the Confederate oath...?

Thanks for the poke sack back. The beans got thrown-away at the hotel that night. Ironic for all the ta-do over 'em... nearly lost me hide over the need for tobacky for my comrades.

Great fun... hope you had fun too!

Take care... -Johnny
              Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 10-30-2007, 05:06 PM.
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Campjacksonboy View Post
                I only have one question. Why didn't the federal companies persue? As I looked back up that hill I was greatly relieved to see blue sky and no "sky blues." Even more so greatful that you all allowed us to show ourselves out the side door. *By advancing to the edge after we left it you could have fired into the tops of our heads and ended Company F right then. I was curious why you didn't.
                You'll have to get comments from Companies A and C for their take on the subject.

As Company B came screaming in on your left flank and swept in behind you on the slope, Confederate cavalry was spotted on the far rise through the gap and trees. Being one of the slower moving men, I was still in the ravine between the ridges when our NCO's started yelling for us to get out of the gap or we'd be captured by the Reb cavalry from behind. The majority of our men were already too committed to sweeping up the hill to turn around and form a rearguard line to head off a possible attack by that cavalry. I fired a round up the hill to let 'em know we were still down there, and then fled, reloading, up the opposite slope to rejoin the company.

Had it not been for the presence of those horsemen (we didn't know at the time how many were there, and thought the worst), we might have rolled up your entire group, or a goodly number of them.

The fog of war, even at close range, and perceiving a threat aimed at you rather than the threat you yourself present, was played out in spades in those few decisive moments.
                Bernard Biederman
                30th OVI
                Co. B
                Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                Outpost III

Comment

Originally posted by Federal Bummer View Post
                  I'll have my full report out tonight which may shed so light on the exploits of the "Foot Cavalry / Ghost Company." "Hard travelled, hard fighten, sons-o-bitches" indeed.
                  Steve,

Are we looking at your full report to be in somewhat of a volume set? :D

Moffet,

Your pictures are great! The one with Co. B behind enemy lines is one of the best I've seen taken in a while. But folks if you look closely....you can see our fearless leader Scuba Steve lying down on the job..lol...I believe it was more then he could bare.
                  Micah Trent
                  Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                  Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

ET,

If my voice was in top shape this past weekend you probably would have heard me yell "S**t" very loudly on Saturday. As I said since I was in top speed I really couldn't stop to tip my hat (or have it shot off) for you gents. All in all it was a great "Oh Mah Gawd I'm Gonna Get Kilt!" moment for me.

And fyi..... it is Coats..... no "E"s need apply. You and Paul Jerram love to taunt my last name so. :tounge_sm

I have to agree with you on taking hits. I even took one sitting on top of the hill. Stray shot knocked me over while cooking my food much to the delight of my comrades. :wink_smil

Hrmmm. Maybe the Federal Foot Cav will get a better workout at Bummers.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

• Re: Outpost III - AAR Thread

Hrmmm. Maybe the Federal Foot Cav will get a better workout at Bummers.
                      Herbe:

With more hills... ;)

Are youe sure thate youre laste name doesn'te have ane "e" ate the ende?
                      ERIC TIPTON
                      Former AC Owner

Comment

Joel-

Which one is you? I'd like to know the man I've been talking to before.

-Johnny
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Please tell me that someone is writing an article for the Historian for this one? We need to get this out there to people outside our little world. A few of us wrote articles about the last couple of events. Who is next? If someone is out there thinking about it, ask yourself, why not? ;)
                          Last edited by Eric Tipton; 10-30-2007, 08:22 PM.
                          ERIC TIPTON
                          Former AC Owner

Comment

Pards & Comrades,

The Good
                            1. Having an event with top notch impressions on both sides .
                            2.6 full companies of progressives in one place
                            3. a realistic command structure where most of us had no idea what was happening or where the rebs were.
                            4. Beef instead of Salt pork
                            5. Great site-Nice to be able to visit some of the local sites on the way down.
                            6. organization- Hats off to Art and the WIG staff
                            7. Good pards having to work together- Big thanks to my pards in Co. A
                            8. I got to know some new fellas that I now consider pards.
                            9. Immersion events are always fun. I found myself tlking about railroads, farming, politics,& yes Mr. Smith even Injuns.
                            10. The capture of Sgt.Flemming-I was really shaken by the whole ordeal

The Bad
                            1. Marching and getting a cornstalk lodged in my shoe in the darkness of Sat. Am
                            2. Not remembering all of the bugle calls I had been listening to on my IPOD for a month and a half prior .
                            3. Taking a hit and landing in the oxen's area. The the driver told them to get it thier spot and we got out of there!
                            4.Sleep- Or lack of

Over all I enjoyeed the event thanks to all who had a hand in its success.

Thanks to the Boys of Co.A for all you great work

RM
                            Rod Miller
                            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Nice pictures Joel. There are several good looking fellers in there somewhere. We don't look too bad for the wear.
                              Great talking with you this weekend.
                              Cheers
                              Greg S Barnett
                              Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                              ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X