Vicksburg (Pukesburg): A Ranger's AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vicksburg (Pukesburg): A Ranger's AAR

First of all, on behalf of Vicksburg NMP and the living history crew, I want to give a Huzzah to Pat Landrum for putting the event together and to all of you guys for helping with interpretation at the park. My crew just finished cleaning up after the event, and all of your pards are in some much needed air conditioning on their way home.

For those of you who did not attend, it was scorching hot, and a lot of good folks suffered in order to make the event a success. The mosquitos, chiggers, and sundry other annoying insects feasted on the guys during night. Then the sun came out with its own brand of punishment. After that, we spent most of the day dealing with visitors, doing interpretation, and looking after heat fatigued campaigners. (We set up a cold room in the maintenance area and parked guys there until they recuperated.) Most recovered in a short time and went back on the line.

Highlights of the event, from my point of view, was allowing visitors to see what life was like for the soldiers of 63 during the siege, serving our gun along with another artillery unit, and watching Bill Backus eat chitlins for the first time. Too Bill's credit, he kept the chitlins down, and disappointed us all.

I especially want to thank you guys for allowing our volunteer gun crew to participate in the event. The kids have never particpated in a reenactment, and events such as these provide them with an introduction to the hobby, helping them to understand the value of authenticity.

We were especially gratified at the donation of uniforms and funds to the living history program as a result of this event. The crew recieved a selection of hats, jackets, and trousers, that were very much needed. Without those donations several of our youngsters would not have been able to participate in the event. I will see to it that they are worn in a proper manner with pride. Nevertheless, I had to put one youngster, "Popsicle Boy" down in the Confederate lines because we did not have a Union uniform to fit him. (A kindly mother gave him a popsicle, which he proceeded to eat while wandering around the CS camp )

In conclusion, it was a pleasure to have you guys at the park. You put a lot of hard work into the event, and we look forward to more interpretive opportunities wth you in the future. Maybe in a spring or fall? :)
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
    [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Re: Vicksburg (Pukesburg): A Ranger's AAR

I echo your compliments to Patrick Landrum, and those who helped him with all the work that I know goes into any sort of event. The effort and hard work it takes to plan, coordinate, and excecute is not taken on by many, but thank God for those willing.

It surely smelled hot and hot it was, but I'm never dissappointed when I get to participate in this hobby...unless there's some pirates around !

Good to meet you David; yourself, Terry, Rick, Robbie and the others are all great assets to the site.

Bully !
    Dennis Neal
    "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
    David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
    Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
    [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
    J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

HOOAH FOR PATRICK LANDRUM

From a military viewpoint this event was on the money. I will not be able from a Living Historian viewpoint be able to write an AAR as well as others who have been in the hobby longer but I want to add a few points.

-This event from a military viewpoint was done very well. The logistics, operations and the soldier support was totally complete and well thought thru.

-The conditions that were endured were very realistic. The climate and conditions could not have given a Living Historian a more first hand viewpoint than was lived these past three days. My thought now is… Vicksburg was lost before it was even started. That thought could not be more real than what was endured by those who were there this past weekend. I said several times this weekend that an Army functions on its Water, Weapons and their Colons enough said.

-The Command and Staff did their homework. The heat was what the Active Military calls “CAT-5”, folks that translates as “Hot as Hell”. We had several heat causalities, and the Command was on top of it. This event could not have gone off without the professionalism of the WIG Staff.

One more thing, I lost 5 pounds.

Mission Complete.
      Last edited by Dale Beasley; 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM. Reason: taking a shower for the third time and still finding ticks

Comment

I wasn't there but from the concept Pat was telling during the planning stages of the event, I knew that the participants would have a great time……the only thing I can say is…..the confederates can thank me for the amount of food they received than the amount Pat wanted to give them. :p

When I saw the land, with the walk through with Pat in January, I knew the event participants wouldn't be disappointed.

Hats off to Pat Landrum for all his hard work and to everyone else involved in the planning for this past weekend.
        Elizabeth Landrum
        IR Team Mom

Comment

Man, it was hot! Man, it was humid! Man, the mosquitoes were vicious! We had grits. No pie. Now I like grits but these were just grits which makes for pretty bland fare. Interesting thing about grits. It's basically middlings from the corn grinding process. Feed them to people and they're called grits. Feed them to hogs and they're called shorts.

I was absolutely miserable - probably the most physically miserable I have been at any event I have ever been to, but I also got some insight into what the real boys in the Confederate lines went through during the siege. And, trying to be a 'glass half full' guy I figured the poor Federals had to be hotter than we were in those dark blue coats. Some were in state jackets and that padding had to make it even worse. They had a better menu though from what I heard.

After getting my heat drained body back to the parking area it felt really good to change and get in that air conditioned car but despite the discomfort I experienced, I feel the event was a worthwhile effort to attend. It was a challenge and a learning experience which is what I like to have when I attend something.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Pat, NPS and coordinators

Awesome job, I had had a great time, the food was good, thanks Charles and co. (Thanks again for the Ice)

Jim Butler did a great job ensuring we all hydrated and did no push us if we felt fatigued. Common sense goes a long way.

I thought the US trenches looked real, boxes thrown all over, shelters thrown up heartedly, paper rappers everywhere, it was a picture perfect mess. (Don’t know if Mr. Hicks enjoyed his walk through)

Thanks for the ride Mitch I got a new pard.

Over all great event.

Dennis I had to look twice but I thought I saw Pirates of the Cairo. I still contest the four of us could have took that Fort.
            Burt Page
            Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

I thought the US trenches looked real, boxes thrown all over, shelters thrown up heartedly, paper rappers everywhere, it was a picture perfect mess.
              I had the same exact thought when I inspected the trench on the way down to the final ceremony. That trench has not looked that authentic since July 1863. You guys made it happen.

It's a real pleasure for us when folks like you donate your knowledge and skills to enhance our efforts to remember the fallen.

As for the heat, yes, the sun played a significant role in 1863 as well. Check out this diary entry by a member of the 8th Wisconsin on June 31, 1863:

"The next morning early we started to march back to Haines Bluff. The weather was very warm and as we marched across fields and through the corn which was high as our heads, many of the men were overcome with the heat. The Brigade that was with us was composed of men who had no experience of the southern climate, and many of them died of sunstroke. Why we made such a hurried march we could not tell, and Gen Kimball was damned on every side. "
              [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
              [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Burt, sorry I didn't get to say hello personally, but hope to see you this Fall. As to the Fort, yea we could've taken it but we'd had to dump some pirates out to sea for burial !
                See ya,
                Dennis Neal
                "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

2007 - Immortal 600 was cool, Shiloh was rainy and chilly, Vicksburg was so hot the fire
                  ants were ablaze . . . I have been to my share of hot events, and have never previously
                  been a straggler EVER, but I had to break with tradition and not go out in the trenches for
                  a second round, and there were about 10 of us who were felled by the heat.
                  And when I saw Kiev and Pat talking to our Federal commanders, I knew the Johnnies must
                  be faring little better. There is heat, and then there is Vicksburg.

But I still had a great time, and would like to thank Pat for all the hard work he put into this
                  one. Our valiant cooks both feed and motherhenned us, as did all of our officers and non-
                  coms (a special thank you to Joe L - I did not know a First Sgt. could sweat that much!)
                  To "Senator Tick," we will debate again, sir! Poague, I hope you had some blood left in you
                  after the 'squitters were done.

I would enjoy doing this one again, with the wish that the temperatures were somewhat
                  less hellish and just a tad more temperate! Until then, drink lots (and be sure to have
                  some water with yer whiskey or rum!)
                  Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                  James C. Schumann
                  Mess #3
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Just taking a break from playing connect the dots with my chigger bites and thought I would say how much I enjoyed the event.
                    Mother Nature tried her best to stop the event with her heat and rain but we survived.
                    Kepis held high and a loud "Huzzah" to Pat (want some roasted rat, Dusty?), the staff and the other event organizers. Second of all a rousing cheer, to the National park Staff. They were all professional, knowledgeable and went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed ourselves. Some of the best park folks Ive come across. Lastly a bow to all the folks I served with in the field, you humbled me with your presence. It was great to see alot of old possums and meet some new ones.
                    For those who opted out of this event, you missed a good one:)
                    Dusty Lind
                    Running Discharge Mess
                    Texas Rifles
                    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

I can't recall where I read this but one officers was quoted as saying during the Seige of Vicksburg, "I am losing more men to the heat than I am from the Confederate bullets".

Regards,

Claude Sinclair
                      Claude Sinclair
                      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksburg Dave View Post
                        For those of you who did not attend, it was scorching hot, and a lot of good folks suffered in order to make the event a success. The mosquitos, chiggers, and sundry other annoying insects feasted on the guys during night. Then the sun came out with its own brand of punishment. After that, we spent most of the day dealing with visitors, doing interpretation, and looking after heat fatigued campaigners. (We set up a cold room in the maintenance area and parked guys there until they recuperated.) Most recovered in a short time and went back on the line.
                        Good to hear the weekend went well. I was at a local event which was dry, with a low in the 50s and the high in the 70s with no mosquitos.:D:D

Chris Suppelsa
                        Last edited by Suppelsa; 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag
                        Chris Suppelsa

Comment

Hat's off to Pat. Did a great job! Dave, great working with you and the volunteers. We had some great section fires. Sorry you missed the Sat. night firing. We enjoyed being the "rapid fire" battery. Hope to see you again at the park soon.
                          Timothy J. Koehn
                          Boone's Louisiana Battery
                          Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
                          http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

First, my sincere thanks to Pat, the NPS staff, and all those that put on this event. Anyone who organizes one of these things has my respect and I thought this event was "well done" (please pardon the double entendre).

I learned a lot this weekend:
                            Mississippi skeeters sound a lot like stukas.
                            Chigger bites itch like hell.
                            Rat tastes better than I expected.
                            Strong chicory tastes a lot like the contents of a spitoon.
                            Hydration is not the only key to staying healthy in the heat.
                            When the Pumpkin Patch Mess offers to give you a lift to an event, TAKE IT!! (Thanks, gents!!)

Now that I am at home in the AC (there I go again!), comfortable except for the potpourri of bites from various species of critters, I have intense respect for the suffering of The Old Fellows at Vickburg in '63. I wouldn't say that I had "fun", but that's not why I do this sort of event. I would say, however, that it met my expectations in most ways and exceeded my expectations in a few others.

It was great putting faces with a lot of folks I have only known on-line or by phone for years and seeing old friends I'd not seen in quite some time!!

...now to find some Caladryl...
                            John Wickett
                            Former Carpetbagger
                            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Let's see here....mosquitos, ticks, chiggers, fire ants and more. I'd like to see if the current city of Vicksburg leaders would consider changing the city name to VICKSBUG, MS (about half of them already pronounce it that way so it should not be a stretch). One of you locals see if you can work that onto the docket for the next town meeting.

I would like to thank Pat Landrum, the park staff and everyone who had a hand in making this event happen.

It was great to meet so many guys that I see here on the forum and put a face with a name.

Thanks to all the guys in First Platoon of Co. A, 20th Alabama Infantry. I never heard a grumble all weekend with the numerous water details. It was a pleasure falling in with you.

Thanks to Kiev for helping me clean my rats. Once we got going with them, I gutted, he skinned and they were done in short order. Eating rat with you other brave souls was the highlight of my weekend. I'll post some pictures soon.
                              Matt Woodburn
                              Retired Big Bug
                              WIG/GHTI
                              Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                              "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Working...
                              X