Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vicksburg , Fantastic!!!!

Hi All,

Man , It was a Great event. Well worth the trip out from AZ Teritory! It was Hot and Humid. That is for sure!

Thansk to Pat and the NPS for a Sellar event. It was a grand time. Thanks to the fellows in Co F for allowing me to be their butter bar LT. & Thanks to Terry Sorch y for the commisary & to Charles Heath & the Cooks for keeping us in beans & good grub!

Mr Crab's Suttlery was wonderful & added just the right "behind the line" feel to the event when we weren't on the line in " the big ditch";) Ginger beer is just the ticket in the evening.

Thanks also to the Federal Comand Staff. It was a real pleasure to see old pards , Make new ones & to serve on the line with all of you.

All the best

Don S
    Don F Smith

Comment

Re: Vicksburg (Pukesburg): A Ranger's AAR

All I can really say about Vicksburg is WOW! I have a very new perspective about the siege and the men who lived through it. As I sat on top of the 20th Alabama works and looked at the Federal zig zag lines, I thought about the men who really dug those lines, and to think that we had a hard time in two days. It's no wonder so many men died on both sides from exposure.

Thanks to Pat Landrum and the Vicksburg NPS for this unique opportunity. At times i'm sure I was not the best private in the ranks of company B. It was a hard two days, but they are two days I will always remember and appreciate. The Vicksburg critters made their presence known day and night. The heat was very brutal at all times. I think a snake crossed my left foot as I was sleeping the first night.

The three high points of the event for me were:

1.) The rats, I swore before the event I would not try them. They were not bad, although the curled little frying pan feet made me think twice.

2.) An unexpected visit from a friend who crossed the lines, thanks to Preston Todd for the tobacco, newspapers and crackers. That was really a cool moment and I had nothing to return in trade. Thanks Preston!

3.) Going on fatigue duty and at the spur of the moment, five of us crossed the lines to surrender to the Federals. The Federals asked why we crossed to surrender, we said we were hungry. They asked if we would sign parole papers, anything for food was our reply.
      That was a great moment standing in front of the paroling officer under guard, giving our information and signing the papers. Charles Heath, John Crabb and the Federal soldier who's name I do not know that took us to the sutler's tent, God bless you all. We were treated with great kindness and did not leave hungry.

Am I sorry I went to Vickaburg? No Would I do it again? You bet!

Thank you company B, it was a pleasure serving with all of you, it's guys like you that can make a hard event enjoyable.
      sigpic
      Grandad Wm. David Lee
      52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
      - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Well, I had fun. The highlight for me by far was finally being able to see the Vicksburg Battlefield; being from Chicago it is hard for me to get that far south. That battlefield is awesome.
        The position we were in was great, and the trench was well restored (not eroded). I had a lot of great period conversations, plus about 605433 puns about my name (William H. Cool, the opposite of the event). I too enjoyed seeing old people and meeting new.
        A few highlights from the event for myself were:
        1. Being on a battlefield, no matter what, is always worth the ride.
        2. I enjoyed the trench warfare, or the lack thereof of the lull that should have been constant. Either way it was fun, and a rare if non-existent occurrence to be able to shoot from an original trench position.
        3. Good period conversations and fairly steady firper were maintained at least until saturday night, then on and off after that. I think the heat helped break down the discipline, understandably.
        4. Experiencing a little bit of "the life on the line" including trenches, food, conversations, boredom, and the extreme heat.

Overall, excellent event. Worth every one of the 14 hours of my drive.
        Pat, well done.
        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
        Hard Head Mess
        Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

If I were 20 years younger!
          Frank Perkin

Comment

Gents,
            First off let me say THANKS to the Vicksburg NPS for letting us participate in an event that was truly one of a kind and memorable. This was my first time to the battlefield and it is an awe inspiring place. Pat Landrum- Bully Job putting this one together young pard O mine. Pat did many behind the scenes things that arnt known to make this event come off this well. Kevin and Brian, excellent job as Senior Cpt and Adj.
            The trench warfare, the outstanding job the Johnnies did and even the crappy hot weather made it for a very special event.
            Now, my Company, Comany F. Well boys what can I say. Joe, Tim, Andy, Ken, Eric, Dan, and Scott, as NCO's you were AMAZING. You ALL knew your jobs well and performed them perfectly. You took care of the men and made sure water details were done efficiently and often. My Lt. Don Smith, THANK YOU for coming out and really doing an exceellent job leading second platoon. The men well, you were the best 34 men I have commanded. I REALLY missed being in the trenches with you Saturday night. You all studied up on the 56th and were for the most part all in first person which always greatly enhances the experience.
            When we did maneuvers, and we did some that have not been done in awhile, i.e breaking by platoons etc. you were spot on. We even advanced as skirmishers to the rifle pits to try to draw out the johnnies sunday, only to find out they were praying for something other than rat to eat at that time. The trenches looked like what I had pictured in my head they would and I loved to see the men hunkered down trying to get around or watch them put their hats on their ramrods to attract enemy fire.
            Thanks also to Chuck Warnick for giving us the two tent flys to use for our trenches. Boys weather you know it or not that shade allowed us to participate in the trenches.
            Charles and Ley and Oh hell i'm sure I missed somebody in commisary, good grub boys, you were there for us every step of the way making sure we had liquids and salt.
            And thanks to all the emt's and first reponders and park rangers that when our men did go down did such an excellent job of seeing to them quickly and efficiently and maikng sure nothing serious happened.
            All in all sitting in the ac of my office scratching my bug bites I now can think of these things to say. Things that if I would have tried to say at the end of the event you would have said "Oh he's just blowing hot air" and there was enough hot air in mississipi to begin with.
            I am glad I live in Wisconsin in the summer though instead of on the Gulf Coast (sorry Pat).
            Cheers and Bully Job:D
            Terry Sorchy,Captain George Wilhelm Co. F 56th Ohio Infantry
            Last edited by Terry Sorchy; 06-11-2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Terry, say that last line in January, hehehe....
              Dusty Lind
              Running Discharge Mess
              Texas Rifles
              BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

A small taste of things on the Johnnies's side.

To all,

Here is a little period-esq snippet of what went on at the Square Fort this weekend.

"Friday, June 8th 1863

My company and Company A were sent from camp to man the works at the Square Fort today. The fort sits atop a ridge and has a commanding view of the Yanks across the gully. We are to improve some of the field works and guard against any shenanigans the Yanks throw at us. I have to say that firstly the weather has gone from Spring-like to the Summer-time very quickly. Many of the company had to fall out because of the heat. The swelter did not die down once the sun began to lower, but the men nonetheless set their tent flys up quickly. And that was a good thing because some rain fell at odd times that evening! I am glad I was able to procure some roping because it was the popular item with the boys. The Capt’n, Sgt. Mjr and I are camped together under the Capt’n’s tent fly. That old thing has seen better days, but it will do. Dinner this evening was good, the officers and some of the ncos ate together and had a merry time. I actually had a little bit of spirits which was a treat. The mood was a glad one, even though we have been in a bit of dire straights in the trenches. Oh and yes the bite me’s are just as bad as they are in Alabama.

Saturday, June 9th 1863

Today baking ourselves in the trenches was the order of the day even though the Major had not specifically given those orders at the officer’s call this morning. Breakfast has not changed lately. Corn, corn and more corn! But I can’t complain too much. I have heard some of the people of the city in their caves have it pretty bad. I don’t wish that on the people! A small, but strong rain hit us. The holes in the Capt’n’s shelter made themselves abundantly clear again. Mid-morn it was amusing to be a guard duty watching the Yanks set their shelters up in their trenches. The looked as busy as beavers. One of their officers has a particularly nasally sense to it. He seems to yell a lot. The Capt’n and I find his command ordering very amusing and it helped us forget about the unforgiving heat for some time. I almost feel a little sorry for the blue boys, but they elected that chap to command them. There was a cannonade around noon today from the Yanks side that was fairly intense. I actually had to keep my head down for some minutes. Also around noon many of us were stricken with heat frustration. Back from the fort to the camp we went. I met my orderly there and we joked that we were in command of sick platoon. Luckily no one had to head to the surgeon. I think the Major saw what was happening so he called most of the rest of us off of the line that afternoon. An incapacitated company is not what we need now! On a lighter note I think those rascals at our cook camp tossed some rats into the beans for the mid day meal. I honestly could care less because it was a break from the corn meal. Just think a few months ago and I would have been shocked and probably have had the cooks sit in the stockades for a few days. But now it is all different. I think the meat at dinner was mule, but that cook Landrum swears it is beef. My insides thought differently.

Evening time, we had both companies in the fort blazing away at the Yanks early on. But not much headway was made and the Major rightly chose to call the firing off to save out men’s ammunition. We will be in a heap of trouble soon if we continue to shoot like we are. I hear from some of the clerks that we are getting low on ammunition. After the cease fire I posted some pickets in front of the fort. I let the boys know that trading with the Yanks was not called for, but since we are equally miserable I dropped some hints that I would not mind trading if the Yanks were up to it. Unfortunately some of my men did not get the hint and I was running back when a ruckus broke out between one of my pickets and some of our boys who had some trading on their minds. I got that straightened out with the men’s promise to return with cookies for me. The promise was fleeting because firstly right after we pulled the pickets that mule meat that I ate for dinner declared war on me. For the second time in one day I was taken down. I have now recovered a bit, but the night time war has begun again. The bite me’s have come out.

Sunday, June 10th 1863

Dawn was brilliant as usual. Thankfully no rain hit us over the night. I said a small prayer of thanks to the Lord since there was no church call. Can’t do that when we are in the fort right now. On an amusing note, today at roll call it was discovered that Cpl Davis had slept face first on the ground overnight and the bite-me’s had scored a decisive victory on the poor boy’s face. The order of the day was to build more obstructions to place in front of the fort. I was detailed to take the company to move some completed chevau du fries to be placed in front of rifle pits and trenches. Whilst we were doing this 4 of our men ran over to the Yank’s side. I take it they wanted some better food. There have been rumors that those Yanks dine on fresh chickens, beef, pork, and have wine and fine spirits served with fresh bread. I was not too happy, but I can’t dwell on what those wayward souls have done. They have to live with their actions and decisions. I am here with my men, my friends and comrades to defend this town and our freedoms! If some men do not have the nerve to do so then they go about their own decisions. Well the Major has ordered the rest of the company back into the fort and trenches so it is back to business."

I want to give a hearty thanks to The Landrum for getting this shin-dig together. And Terry thanks for hauling all of the food down as well! It was damn hot and humid and I expected that. But even still my pampered air conditioned self was taken by surprise by the intensity of the heat. Having to remain in one position was tough with the sun beating down on you. I enjoyed the heck out of this event and I am glad I went out. It was very fun and awe inspiring to visit the park and be a part of a unique program. I am also glad I was able to take some time off to visit the park before the event. I’ve never seen Vicksburg before, and I was impressed! The highlights for me were the Illinois monument, the Cairo section of the park, finding the area where the Georgia units were posted, South Fort, and going over the Mississippi River to see the small remainder of Grant/Williams’ canal. The men of Company B, 20th Alabama Inf. did a fine job, and I am glad that I was able to serve as your Lieutenant. And yes even the Rooster Lady was amusing and did not put a damper on the event.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Pards, Comrades, and fellow Chigroes,

We came, we saw, we sweated, we ate rat, we endured, and we forged bonds - through shared misery - that will never be known by those that didn’t attend this event.

My hat’s off to Patrick Landrum. During the course of the weekend he endure the rigors of oppressive heat, helped cook for the Confederate infantry, coordinated with the Park officials, answered the call for aid to heat stroke participants, and played tour guide to many. And that was just this past weekend. However the event for Mr. Landrum didn’t simply start Friday evening. We were all the beneficiaries of many long hours of organization and planning on Mister Landrum’s part. Here-here, my young friend! Job well done!

I also owe a big Thank You to all the men of Company A, 20th Alabama Infantry! Thank you for allowing me to serve you as company commander for the weekend. I hope no one went away disappointed – I didn’t.

The GOOD (in no particular order):

- Looking across a NPS site and seeing a HOSTILE force that was there for business!
                  - Manning ORIGINAL trenches
                  - Experiencing something I’d NEVER done in 20 years of reenacting – eating RAT
                  - Seeing MANY pards – Blue & Grey
                  - Getting to spend 14 hours together in the truck with three good pards that I don’t get to see as much as I’d like
                  - Meeting three new Brothers
                  - And, the greatest experience of the weekend – seeing the look of heart felt gratitude and true appreciation for a simple gift given as a token of friendship

The BAD:

- The HEAT
                  - The Chiggers and Mosquitoes
                  - Not having the energy to say longer goodbyes to friends I wont see for many months
                  - The look on my wife’s face when handed my still sweat soaked shirt, socks and drawers
                  - The realization that my (older) body can’t handle the heat and the exertion of a Civil War weekend as well as it use too

Thanks to everyone who made this weekend special. I look forward to seeing you all in the field (at a cooler event) soon!
                  PATRICK CRADDOCK
                  Prometheus No. 851
                  Franklin, Tennessee
                  Widows' Sons Mess
                  www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Gents:

I too enjoyed the great recreations of "Life on the Line", which was the very first time that I had gone Federal Infantry, or any infantry, at a authentic event. I was so excited that I did not sleep. I still am having a hard time coming back to reality still needing more than the 1 1/2 hour sleep in the jeep on the way home with two of the Jones Boys (George, Davey). I also got to meet a lot of the members from the A/C forum that I have looked up to. Not to mention that I had a very understanding CO and a great NCO staff to receive orders from. I enjoyed my long water detail from the trench on the first day with Mr. Sicsler, which nearly killed the both of us running up and down that mamoth of a hill. I also enjoyed my time listening to "Senator Tick" and his future aspirations to open a coffee/ newspaper/soiled dove emporium. I am still waiting for Poague's book to be released so that I too can learn the fine art of poagueing.

I hope that everyone that left with Corporal Fry is ok, which in turn took away my whole section leaving me an orphan to be adopted by Corporal Holliday and Corporal Jennings.

The NCO staff was great and really cared about each man. I was also impressed with the orderly sgt.'s ability to do first person roll call from the top of his head. It goes to show that everyone did their research to make this one of the best and most memorable events that I have ever gone to. Thanks to Pat and the Park Service staff for their hard work for this event. I also would like to thank the following: The spiders that deserved their own bumper sticker, the chiggers that Davey Jones had to itch himself until he was ready to bleed, the mosquitos that tried to carry me away in the middle of the night, the multiple hives of bees that seemed to inflict more damage on us than the Johnnies did, and any other
                    plant, insect, animal, reptile, or weather condition that made this an authentic event. Thank you, for the good time boys from Co. F. Also a special thanks to Ryan Protz(AKA little Mac), and Terry Sorchey for convincing me that my wife would not be that mad if I went and missed her birthday on Sat. I had a blast and would do it again with the same people anytime. Also, I need to get the recipie for the cabbage and beef that we had on Sat. (the wife likes it).

Thank You, Again!

Dale Winch ( John Ogan)
                    Co. F 56th Ohio Inf.
                    Granville Mess
                    Vicksburg- 10 degrees cooler than the earths core.

Comment

Hats off to Landrum and the NPS Staff, the event went off extraordinarily well from an organization standpoint. That being said, there are just some events that one should take a bit of pride in having acomplished. Vicksburg '07 should be added to the list along side the others (if you were at them, you know what they were). All of the boys that were there for the final formation can be proud of having stood there.

Thanks to Art, Pat, Trip, and Herb. Kudos to Sgts. Adams, Joe, Robbie, Dean &c. And to all my PPM comrades (and Wickett) that marched off Sunday: it would'nt have been the same without you.

Old friendships were strengthened, new ones were forged, rats were eaten (I'm trying to figure out how to admit that I'd munch on one of those again) and the insects avenged the death of their vermin comrades.
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Gents,

This was my second large scale authentic event (the other being Shiloh). I'm still in awe by what I saw. It was a combination of things that really made this experience awesome.

Of course, being on an original battlefield anytime is nice, but being there with many pards made it better. The trench warfare was really cool. I wish we could have done more. While the heat was a major problem, it did serve to give me even more respect for the troops that did this for real day in and day out.

Thanks to the NPS staff for having us at their beautiful park. I had never been there before, and now think it's one of my favorites. Thank you to Pat Landrum for putting together such an awesome event. Thank you to the Federal Battalion staff, Kevin O’Bierne and Brian Luscombe, for their excellent leadership. As always, Capt. Terry Sorchy was great. We got to do a few maneuvers that I had only read about in the manuals but never gotten to do. My Lieutenant, Don Smith, was great to finally meet and talk with. I was so impressed with our Orderly Sergeant, Joe Liechty, who was able to do first person roll call from the top of his head. Wow! I'm glad that Tim Ruyle was my Sergeant. He is a great guy to talk with. Also, thank you to Dale Winch who assisted me when I became the unofficial "battalion medic" and helped me take care of the dozens of men that went down with the heat. I'm glad that I was at the event and able to provide such a valuable service. Thanks to the officers for listening to my suggestions in regards to the health and welfare of the men. Thanks to the pards that I traveled with, Andy, Poague, and Riley. They made a 14 hour car ride seem to take only 2. Finally, thanks the the soldiers of 2nd Squad, 2nd Platoon, Company F, 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. You were the greatest and always ready to lend a hand when I needed it (even Poague).

I can't really say that I had fun at this event, but the weekend was everything I thought it was going to be and more. It's because of the hard work by the event organizers, the NPS staff, the military leadership of both sides, and the commitment of the men, that this event turned out as great as it did.

Things that I will never forget about this weekend:
                        -The phrase "drink water, boys" that was shouted by the NCOs, including myself, every 30 seconds.
                        -Listening to "Senator Tick" and Baron von Schumann debate. Priceless.
                        -The mosquitoes, chiggers, fire ants, ground bees - everything in the South seems to bite! And now I'm paying for it.
                        -The trading that went on between the lines and the friendly conversation between Brothers.
                        -The gratitude received when sharing a canteen with a parched friend.
                        -The true appreciation that was given me as I cared for those with heat issues.
                        -The putrid smell my shirt gave off as it hung drying in the garage after I got home at 3 in the morning (my wife was not amused).
                        -The heat: if you weren't there you won't understand. It really became a test of endurance for many of us, including me.

Thanks again guys. I'm glad I didn't miss this one! I now have a greater understanding of "Life on the Line."

Cpl. John M. Halliday
                        Co. F, 56th Ohio
                        AKA
                        Scott Gutzke, ONV
                        J. Thomas Atkinson

portrayed by Scott Gutzke
                        [URL="http://www.sipleymess.org/"]Ol' Sipley Mess[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.oldnorthwestvols.org/"]ONV[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.risingsun115.com/"]Rising Sun Lodge #115, AF&AM of IL[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.waukeshalodge.org/"]Waukesha Lodge #37, F&AM of WI[/URL]
                        [URL="http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/"]PM, Armistead-Bingham Lodge of Civil War Research #1862, F&AM of WI[/URL]

Comment

As a kettle kicker for the weekend, I want to thank Ley and Randy for a heck of a lot of fine help feeding Pharoah's Locusts, and really am indebted to Pat and Terry for having the rations, condiments, and the bulk of the cookware pre-positioned on site well before we arrived. Ley, Harry, and myself had a heck of a fun road trip, and we really enjoyed this event.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Pat, NPS and the Big Bugs:

What a great weekend. Thank you all.

To Co's A & F: While I realize brown food can have its moments, you all seemed pleased. Farina remains a mystery to me. You were all first rate, even the Canadians.
                            Ley Watson
                            POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Bon Apperat!

1. Matt and rat.
                              2. Rat on a spit.
                              3. Suthroners fatin for their rats!
                              Attached Files
                              Matt Woodburn
                              Retired Big Bug
                              WIG/GHTI
                              Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                              "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

1. Matt and rat.
                                2. Rat on a spit.
                                3. Suthroners fatin for their rats!

And all the time we rangers thought it was the heat that was making ya'll puke!
                                [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
                                [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                                X