Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vicksburg (Pukesburg): A Ranger's AAR

Dennis,
    It is always fun to be a mere private and bellyache and complain about the soft life that the officers have. Back in 1861 when we answered the call we elected these men to lead us all the way. Little did we know just two years ago they would turn into what they are today. Besides if we arent complaining about their soft life, something is wrong and we don't want to make them suspicious now do we?
    As far as Kevin's comment about alot of northern boys at the event, we can attest that the first paltoon of Company A was almost 100 percent Crazy Cajuns and Wild Texians.
    Dusty Lind
    Running Discharge Mess
    Texas Rifles
    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

You raight abowt thaight...Weren't many if any Yankee's in co. A !

Texas and Louisiana came together to play Alamabain, it seems all my reenacting career I've been playing Alabamian, and they wonder why I'm so rabid come football season, go L.S.U.

To get this thread back on track though, I was just trying to defend the officers who participated and were subject to dynamics (fewer rifles than desired) out of their control.
      Dennis Neal
      "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
      David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
      Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
      [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
      J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Originally posted by Alamo Guard View Post
        Dennis,
        As far as Kevin's comment about alot of northern boys at the event, we can attest that the first paltoon of Company A was almost 100 percent Crazy Cajuns and Wild Texians.

You want to talk about a mix...try Company B's heavy Georgian-Hoosier contingent!:tounge_sm
        Andrew Martin
        GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
        150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
        200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
        150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMartin View Post
          You want to talk about a mix...try Company B's heavy Georgian-Hoosier contingent!:tounge_sm
          Hey!I married a Hoosier.:)That makes me happy.....I get Corn in ever way you can make it !:tounge_sm
          Kiev Thomason
          a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
          WIG
          Armory Guards
          Forest Park Lodge #399
          Forest Park GA.

Comment

In Company A, up on the hill, my officers had the most "common sence" and the "purdeist Bow-Ties" in the whole Confederate Army...and don't my 1SGT have the "purdiest way of bitching"?:D
            Last edited by Dale Beasley; 06-14-2007, 05:08 PM. Reason: I aint left nutin in Alabama.

Comment

Well that settles it then VICKSBURG was truly a "Melting Pot" ...in every which a way !
              Dennis Neal
              "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
              David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
              Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
              [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
              J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Dang! It's Friday afternoon...has it been a week already? Seems as if we were just there a few hours ago. My how time flies!

I keep wondering if there was any pea bread to go with that "fought over" rat? That "Fighting for their Rats" photo is a keeper. It's really funny. Looks like the Hoosiers have the edge, too. Pun intended.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

HEADQUARTERS THIRD BRIGADE, STEVENSON'S DIVISION,
                  July 1, 1863.
                  GENERAL: I am in receipt of your communication, inclosing copy of a note from the lieutenant-general commanding, of this instant, in the former of which I am directed to give my opinion, as far as concerns my brigade, on several points raised in the latter.
                  As to the general fact that the troops of this brigade are in a condition of great physical debility and weakness, it needs but to see them in, or on their short beats to and from, the trenches, to be able to bear testimony to it.
                  Everything beyond this assertion of the general fact must, of course, be mere matter of opinion and conjecture. After much reflection upon the subject, based upon my own observations and the remarks, casual and incidental, of the regimental commanders, I would state the following as the conclusions at which I have arrived:
                  From shortness of rations, and greatly more from a confinement of forty-five days to the trenches, under the summer sun of a debilitating climate, few, if any, of the men are in their ordinary health and vigor.
                  I am disposed to believe that perhaps one in five of those now reported for "duty in the trenches" would, under different and favorable circumstances, be receiving medical treatment; and I have less hesitation in declaring it as my opinion that of this number, for "duty in the trenches," 50 per cent would on trial, be found unfit to encounter the fatigues incident to the life of the soldier in the field.
                  I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
                  A. CUMMING,
                  Brigadier-General.

This above was something going thru my mind all last week after the event, as I was sick much of this week due to food poisoning I think I got from eating at a East Texas fast-food place, coming home AFTER the event.

Needless to say, not having eaten hardly anything for nearly all the week, my energy level at work was awfull! Welding in the heat, with lack of good nutrition, is not conducive to good performance!

OK, OK, about the event:

Patrick sure set up a good event, he did good in keeping what we would be doing quiet, so we would not anticipate events, till they happened. Being creatures of habit, it made for an interesting series of events.

The whole commissary set-up was not expected; as I thought we’d be issued rations, not have them cooked up for us as time went. I actually thought they were well prepared; I liked the meat and bread served up Saturday night.

The heat did a real number on me Saturday evening, and I’m grateful Trip Corbin was understanding and let me rest up, instead of going out and doing extra duty the others partook in. I sure felt raring to go on Sunday morning! I will say that getting up onto the fort on Saturday evening, during the demonstration left me with much to reflect on. Seeing the Yanks many yards away, firing from their lines, seeing the smoke from their muzzles, and then hearing the reports a bit latter, gave me an eerie feeling!

Patrick also did good, in making sure we had the right info on proper cartridges for the NPS weapons inspections. I never would have figured that Lady Ranger would know anything about the rifles we were carrying. She knew what to look for, and didn’t miss much of anything. She sure noticed the 1861 lock-plate marking on Kevin Wilson’s Enfield.
                  Who would have figured!

Getting with fellers from all over country was the big event high for me. Hanging around folk I’ve been with at other events, and meeting new faces really makes this hobby fun for me.

Thanks everyone for making it an event to remember!
                  Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
                  Kevin Dally

Comment

"Patrick also did good, in making sure we had the right info on proper cartridges for the NPS weapons inspections. I never would have figured that Lady Ranger would know anything about the rifles we were carrying. She knew what to look for, and didn’t miss much of anything. She sure noticed the 1861 lock-plate marking on Kevin Wilson’s Enfield.
                    Who would have figured! "

Robbie (The female ranger who did inspections) will consider this high praise indeed. She truly appreciates the efforts you guys make to ensure your weapons are as authentic as possible and enjoys the opportunity to interact with you when you visit the park.
                    [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
                    [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

I remember those days....sound like ya'll are doing a great job down there. Tell Rick I said hi!

Paul Arnold
                      Battery A, 1st Mississippi Light Artillery Summer 2001
                      Paul Arnold

Comment

Thanks Paul, it always good to hear from alumni.
                        I'll pass the word to Rick. He works overtime to ensure living history continues in the park and will be pleased to hear from you.
                        [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
                        [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                        X