CO F, 21st VA IN...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CO F, 21st VA IN...

I'm thinking about signing up Skip. I need to see how the Fall shapes up to see if I can make the trip.
    Brian Gilk

Comment

Gents,
      Looks like we will have a great company. If you are interested in being in the company or have already registered please get in touch with me via PM. I want to start working on Ration numbers and forming of messes...

No change to Leadership except the addition of Leut Kevin Kilcommons of the SGLHA...

We will be conducting skirmish, and outpost in PLTs the whole weekend.. with potential numbers in the 30s we will have a great time.

Also have a Company Bugler lined up and a commissary (Neil Rose)...

Looks to be a great event
      [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
      [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Hey skip! I'm looking forward to ATB! Counting the days! Sent you a PM

Luke
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Skipper,
          Thanks for the update. We're also planning to have one fifer and drummer assigned to each company.........Jerry Stiles

Comment

Gentlemen,

As the former Captain of the reactivated F Company I would like to make a couple of subtle points that might make your experience a bit more accurate. The nickname most often used was "F Company," rather than Company F. Its members were often referred to as "F's."

F Company was originally in the First Regiment, Virginia Volunteers, a militia regiment prior to the war. From this regiment also came the Richmond Light Infantry Blues and the Richmond Grays, just to name two. Their militia uniforms were very sharp for the time and denoted a company comprised of men of means. The backpacks were French hardpacks covered with calfskin. One might say that they were part of the "elite" of Richmond society.

An excellent book about F Company is One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry by John Worsham. Worsham retired to Richmond after the war and I have actually met his two granddaughters and grandson (all now deceased) and more recently his great-grandson. The family still has the frock coat that John is seen wearing in the photograph of him in the book.

I hope this is helpful and wish you the best of luck with your endeavor.

Floyd Bayne
            Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Comment

Working...
            X