Aft Aar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aft Aar

I just wanted to take a quick moment to thank everyone who had a part in making this event happen! This has been my come out year on the progressive side of things and I have not been disappointed one bit! I can really see why the authentic side of the hobby is there and I felt very proud to also, in a small way, help preserve a piece of history!
    Since myself and two others stayed in the barn saturday night, and so everyone has a full report of the event, I feel it as my obligation to report on the events of that night. Iit did in fact get much colder saturday night and the wnid picked up. We made the best of it by heading out into town and foraging for some supplies to which we consumed that night back at the barn. We then woke up, had a three person dress parade and said our goodbyes!
    Thanks again,
    [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
    [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
    New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Matt,

Were you among the fellows Eric Mink was giving a tour (or at least a good chat) on Sunday morning? You would have been near the federal wood pile at the time. I was surprsed to see Eric back on site, but we owe him many thanks for his tour (free of charge) for the visiting public. The front page newspapaper coverage didn't hurt any, either.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the organizers of the “After the Battle” event this past weekend in Fredericksburg. The Columbia Rifles and the Stonewall Brigade hosted the event and did an amazing job on every detail, right down to the surprise of seeing dead soldiers out in the middle of the field as our skirmishers deployed into line. Kevin, Dusty, Charles, Ley and all of the others really went out of their way (for almost two years) to provide this one-time opportunity for the reenacting community.

For those who missed it, these gentlemen worked with the CWPT to allow us the privilege of participating in the first opposing force engagement at the Slaughter Pen since December of 1862. Five Medals of Honor were won on those very fields.

I had the privilege to portray the captain of Company D of the 11th New Jersey. Our company was comprised of attendees from reenacting clubs such as the National Regiment, Vincents, the USV and other similar groups. Considering that we were a “pick-up” team with zero experience working as a unit, I was concerned going into it that we would not have enough time to drill before deploying as skirmishers and operating strictly by bugle call. It was clear, however, that the vast majority of the participants, more than 60 men on the Federal side, had done their homework before arriving in the field. Most importantly, it was also clear that everyone brought the most critical element of all— a positive attitude and an eagerness to portray the original soldiers to the best of our humble abilities.

I want to particularly thank the gentlemen who agreed to wear stripes for us: our sergeants, Brian and Bob, and corporals Jackson, Mike, Bill and Dale. They organized several pre-event conference calls to ensure that that we did all that was possible for Company D to hit the ground running. Most of these fellows, especially Brian, Bob and Bill, normally command companies and often battalions. We were obviously very lucky to have them running the company for us. The second Federal company, Company I, was run by an all-star team from the Columbia Rifles. Grumpy and Garr have some of the best reputations in the hobby and it is obvious why that is the case. It was a great pleasure to work with them from start to finish.

Kevin asked that we have no more than one or at the most two people taking a few photos at the event. I handled it for our company and have posted the images online. It is obvious that I was trying to be quick and as discreet as possible, so please forgive the lack of photographic artistry!
        http://photobucket.com/11NJVOLS

Finally, my hat is off to the fellows portraying the Confederates. While we Federals had the luxury of an old farm shelter, they endured heavy rain, lightening and flooding with no cover on Friday night. With temperatures dropping into the low 40’s and a tornado watch in effect Saturday evening, I do not blame them for making the tough call to err on the side of safety and conclude the event that night rather than Sunday morning.

It was truly an honor to learn about the captain of Company D. At the time of the battle of Fredericksburg he was 36 years old, married, had three small children (including a newborn), and had built a printing business back home in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Captain Martin survived Fredericksburg. According to the regimental history, during a period of inactivity after the “mud march,” his baseball “side” defeated Captain Dorastus Logan’s side 40 runs to 15. On July 3, 1863, at the Battle of Gettysburg, the 11th New Jersey’s field officers were all killed or wounded as Barksdale’s troops attacked their lines near the Peach Orchard. Luther Martin, as the senior captain, took command and was killed while ordering a change of front to the rear to face the charging Confederates. Captain Logan was next in the chain of command, and he too, within minutes, fell slain. The next captain in line, Andrew Ackerman, who had also played in that baseball game a few months before, was shot down and killed too. In the end, out of 275 officers and men taken into the fight at Gettysburg, 18 were killed, 130 wounded, and six missing, making a total of 154 casualties.

Again, my thanks to everyone who put so much into providing this opportunity for us to remember the service of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. If you have not contributed to the CWPT's Slaughter Pen fund, please consider a donation.

Regards,
        Mark

(28th Mass, Co. B / 3rd Regiment USV)

Comment

The next thing I remember was being hoisted onto a surgeon's table (the surgeon from the 28th Mass, I later learned).

Sounds like the repro chloroform messed with your mind more than it should have. :tounge_sm The Federal bandgaing station was made up of a trio of 13th Mass. medical staff, not 28th. (Strictly speaking, the 28th was farther upstream leaving their dead closest to the Sunken Road at Marye's Heights, but that's another tale.)

It's possible you might have had a conversation with Capt. Luther (Mark Herzog) who is in the 28th Mass., and he may have explained I used to be in the 28th five years back. Either that or you overheard me discussing my training with my old mentor, who does portray a surgeon with the 28th.

Lots of fun all around. It's great to work with reenactors who portray wounded seriously. You don't need fake blood and rubber limbs to make a good hospital scene.

Comment

Charles,
            Actually, one reason why we stayed was to listen to the tour BUT we did not see one going on. As to the person you are referring to, that was not me. But no worries as we went into town and had a little tour of our own. We talked to one of the historians at the visitor center and he showed us some maps and we found the location that our home unit fought at.
            Thanks again for a great event!!
            [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
            [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
            New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Good evening,

I really enjoyed the event, even though I am still waking up thinking that Amtrack has it out for me. (Just kidding)

The idea behind this event was a great one, and I look forward to seeing similar events in the future with the same style of draw (original battlefield, preservation, guard duty, rotation of companies, etc.)

Thanks again to the North State Rifles for putting up with the black sheep of the 23rd Virginia and the Keydets.

All in all, it was a pretty cool event.

Sincerely,
              [B]Byron Faidley[/B]

[I]Loblolly Mess,
              23rd Virginia,
              and the Loyal State Rifles
              3NITL
              [/I]

Comment

I too echo all of the comments toward the event organizers and anyone else who helped to make this event possible; I had a great time even with the even ending early. I do have to say that having "dummies" in Federal uniforms on the field as casualties really impressed and shocked me. As we marched up in columns and then deployed into our picket line that is when I noticed them. They were placed close enough to see what they were but far enough not to see the details of the face and it had me doing double takes to make sure they were not real. So thanks to those who donated the uniforms. The camaraderie was great, as it usually is, and it was nice to see some friends.

A great event to end my season with and thanks again.
                [FONT=Century Gothic]Very Respectfully,
                Brian G. Holt
                VMI CWRT
                61st New York
                Co. E CVG
                [/FONT]

Comment

Had a Great time.. want to thank all the members of Co F who showed up despite the forecast. We (with the help of Neil Roses cooking) managed to have a great 24 hr + Event. Im Sorry that the event ended on Sat night, the desired result was not to end the event but move the CS troops to a "safer" location near a structure.

I enjoyed commanding Co F... you men did a fine job and looked every bit the part of Jacksons foot Cav...

Explain the HardKewls comment please....

Cheers.
                  skip
                  [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                  [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

From the bugler's vantage point the two federal companies looked awesome as they spread out to the right and left along the skirmish line. Excellent execution on their part also. I thought we could have got a little closer to our foes, however. We only closed to maybe a football field's length, or was that in fact a realistic distance?

And that skunk that "reviewed the troops"- he wasn't afraid of nothin' was he? I didn't notice the "gimp" though. But I got a little nervous when my carpool mate (Rob Martin, you know who you are) tried to get a closer look at him. Rob you almost got the bad end of that deal.:sarcastic
                    Randy Valle

"Skimming lightly, wheeling still,
                    The swallows fly low
                    Over the fields in clouded days,
                    The forest-field of Shiloh--"

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                      And that skunk that "reviewed the troops"- he wasn't afraid of nothin' was he? I didn't notice the "gimp" though. But I got a little nervous when my carpool mate (Rob Martin, you know who you are) tried to get a closer look at him. Rob you almost got the bad end of that deal.:sarcastic
                      Randy,

Thanks for attending. The rare treat of a bugler practicing his craft in the field has been commented on by many.

"Pepe" the skunk has at least a pair of theories around him. The first is he dines well on the cat food left behind by the little old ladies in the area, so anything with two legs could be the bearer of victuals. The barn cats don't have to chase many mice, if you know what I mean. Secondly, his gimpy hind leg could be the result of a nasty bite from an animal, and one of the first signs of rabies is for a small creature to be acting peculiar as if he has no fear of humans. I, for one, am happy he wasn't in full spray mode, although he did overscent a few human urine spots here and there around the old farmstead. I prefer to think of him as a friendly little fellow.

Perhaps Pepe just liked pie or was attempting to make a preservation donation. :p
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

A few of us were on site Sunday morning and just as we were getting ready to leave, we saw one of the other residents of the property trotting across the Slaughter Pen Farm fields - a lone coyote. We've known of their presence, due to the scat found inside the tenant's house, and the noticeable decrease in the feral cat population. I guess he was returning home after y'all evicted him for the weekend.

Eric
                        Eric J. Mink
                        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Eric,

Mr. Coyote missed a big fat cottontail rabbit nibbling sweet grass on the SE corner of that little house, too. Maybe he needs to upgrade his Acme food finder.

Of course, all rabbits are "Bun Bun" to Beverly until they start mowing down her pink eyed purple hulled peas with the typical vigor associated with "hongree hares." We took some time to explore the flora and fauna of the site, as always, and although Farmer Douglas is 0-4 during bow season (good man, he won't take a shot if he can't be pretty certain of a kill), you can bet that place is full of corn and soybean fatted deer. Since he harvested beans last week, and we are finally (well, almost) gone from the place, you can bet the raptors are having a good time chowing down on the rodentia du jour.

I have to wonder if those little ponds have fish in them.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Bowz View Post
                            I had a great time! I too was hoping that the event would resume Saturday evening, but that was not to be.

Mr. Kibler, I was one of the two privates from company I that came out to help you from the field. Thanks for the brief, but great 1st person that we had going to the aide station. Asking us to give the surgeon your letter home was a great touch as well. I think that it caught the both of us off guard when you handed it to us. I also couldn't help but feel a little saddened as we left the barn to return to the company knowing that you probably were not going to make it much longer.

The scenario was great. I really enjoyed spending the day on the picket line trying to keep my head down, while looking for a rebel target. The realistic distances and conditions allowed for some great 1st person while on the line (George, I guess that wiskey ration wager will have to wait!).

It was great to be out in the field with CR's again. I really enjoyed seeing Chris, Garr, Pete, and Bill again, as well as getting the chance at meeting some new people also.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this event possible. Too bad it couldn't have lasted the full weekend. On to 2009!

Bob Bowser
                            Formerly George Boice
                            Company I, 11th New Jersey
                            Bob it was good seeing you again too, This is the second time we felt the deluge at night in a longhouse.

I got to spend part of the time on the picket line reading ;)
                            "There is a murmur on the heath ! The stormy winds abate! I hear the voice of Fingal. Long has it been absent from mine ear! 'Come Ossian, come away he says. Fingal has received his fame. We passed away like flames that have shone for a season. Our departure was in renown. Though the plains of our battles are dark and silent; our fame is in the four gray stones. The voice of Ossian has been heard"

Thanks Grumpy for the stripes. and for everyone's hard work to make this wonderful time happen.

regards,
                            Bill O'Dea
                            122nd NY / Salt Boiler mess

Comment

This was my first campaigner event and I had a great time. I would like to thank Dusty and Kevin and all the behind the scene work that Charles, Bev, and Ley did. The men of Company I were great and I look forward to serving along side them again at future events.

This was the first event were for the first time I actual recreated history and on the actual field, which was fantastic. I also came away having learned something about the battle that took place with all the pre event information. It was an experience that I will not soon forget. I had a lot of fun and will be looking forward to the next event.

I was disappointed with the event ending early but completely understand and look forward to doing night picket at the next event I am at.

Again it was a great event

Mark Somerville
                              Mark Somerville

[url][/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X