Glendale AAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Glendale AAR Thread

Just want to thank the organizers for a great event. It was an awesome experience tramping through the same fields and woods as my ggg grandfathers little brother did as a member of the Fourth PA in 1862. Pretty cool because I grew up on the same farm, working in the same fields, and playing along the same creek as they did. I've always felt closer to them than any other CW-era ancestor I have. This was THE event I've been waiting for since I started in this hobby ten years ago.

Also, there was one generous reb who saved my life, or at least my sanity, Sunday morning when my chewing tobacco supply ran out, and he supplied me with a cigarette while I was filling the canteens for my fellow POW's. To him, I say, Thanks. I am forever in your debt. Nicotine fits suck...
    Billy Birney
    William Birney
    Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
    Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Billy:

Always great to see you in the field. We were releived when your ride caught up with you.

Take care,
      Ley Watson
      POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Oh, I was relieved, too.... The girl had my cell phone all weekend while she shopped and studied in Williamsburg, and I was worried some other girl had called my phone or some such... Talk about worried to death... That would've been a tight spot to get out of... Thanks again...
        Bill Birney
        William Birney
        Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
        Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Billy,

Yes, that would have been a very tight spot, and remember not to give your apartment keys to two or more gals at the same time, lest you encounter an unwelcome surprise some night.

Speaking of giving, shoot Kevin a reply email regarding that nice B&W image of the federal troops from Glendale-Malvern Hill 2008. You'll be honored to know one of your photographs is the lead candidate for the federal tee shirt project. Kudos! For those in the Sumac League, Greg Starbuck has given written permission to use one of his photographs. Thanks, Greg!

Soon, our hard working minions in the Hamburg, New York, "production facility" will be sweating away! Well, kinda-sorta!
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Gentlemen:

It is with great pleasure that I present the preliminary accounting of the Glendale-Malvern Hill Living History.

First, once again the Columbia Rifles extends its thanks to all those who participated, in the many forms and impressions. You made the event.

A special thanks goes to Jerry Stiles and Dave Towsen (Confederate and Federal commanders, respectively).

As a result of the accounting below, please feel free to use this post as a receipt that out of each and every registration fee of $25 received, sixty-nine percent (69%), or $17.28 is tax deductible to the Columbia Rifles. These remainder funds from the event will be passed through to the CWPT.

Thirty-nine unique individuals and organizations also contributed $2,544 above the amount retained from the registrations fees. These names will be sent to the CWPT in your individual names and are fully tax deductible.

More donations are also due and and these amounts do not include an indirect, solicited donation for $10,000 from a local Richmonder. Additional donations will be updated here.

We are in hopes that the CWPT will be able to finalize matching funds from the Cabell Trust for the amounts raised. Regardless, for 133 guys this was pretty darn good.

Again, thank you!

Registration Fees $3,325
            Expenses (1,027)

Excess 2,298
            Donations 2,254

Total to CWPT $4,842
            Ley Watson

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Stumbled across a nice little Glendale article with maps on the CWPT site this evening, and it is worth sharing:

Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Have you tried our keyword search? Go to the homepage or email us at web@battlefields.org if we...

This event seems so long ago. Wow, it was only April of this year.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

You know, we really need to get the key from Bobby Krick and spend the night out there. Least while the ticks and baby coppers are a sleeping.
                Ley Watson

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Working...
                X