X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ley74
    replied
    Re: Glendale AAR Thread

You know, we really need to get the key from Bobby Krick and spend the night out there. Least while the ticks and baby coppers are a sleeping.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

Stumbled across a nice little Glendale article with maps on the CWPT site this evening, and it is worth sharing:

Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Have you tried our keyword search? Go to the homepage or email us at web@battlefields.org if we...

This event seems so long ago. Wow, it was only April of this year.

Leave a comment:

• ley74
    replied

Gentlemen:

It is with great pleasure that I present the preliminary accounting of the Glendale-Malvern Hill Living History.

First, once again the Columbia Rifles extends its thanks to all those who participated, in the many forms and impressions. You made the event.

A special thanks goes to Jerry Stiles and Dave Towsen (Confederate and Federal commanders, respectively).

As a result of the accounting below, please feel free to use this post as a receipt that out of each and every registration fee of $25 received, sixty-nine percent (69%), or $17.28 is tax deductible to the Columbia Rifles. These remainder funds from the event will be passed through to the CWPT.

Thirty-nine unique individuals and organizations also contributed $2,544 above the amount retained from the registrations fees. These names will be sent to the CWPT in your individual names and are fully tax deductible.

More donations are also due and and these amounts do not include an indirect, solicited donation for $10,000 from a local Richmonder. Additional donations will be updated here.

We are in hopes that the CWPT will be able to finalize matching funds from the Cabell Trust for the amounts raised. Regardless, for 133 guys this was pretty darn good.

Again, thank you!

Registration Fees $3,325
    Expenses (1,027)

Excess 2,298
    Donations 2,254

Total to CWPT $4,842

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

Billy,

Yes, that would have been a very tight spot, and remember not to give your apartment keys to two or more gals at the same time, lest you encounter an unwelcome surprise some night.

Speaking of giving, shoot Kevin a reply email regarding that nice B&W image of the federal troops from Glendale-Malvern Hill 2008. You'll be honored to know one of your photographs is the lead candidate for the federal tee shirt project. Kudos! For those in the Sumac League, Greg Starbuck has given written permission to use one of his photographs. Thanks, Greg!

Soon, our hard working minions in the Hamburg, New York, "production facility" will be sweating away! Well, kinda-sorta!

Leave a comment:

• MD_Independent
    replied

Oh, I was relieved, too.... The girl had my cell phone all weekend while she shopped and studied in Williamsburg, and I was worried some other girl had called my phone or some such... Talk about worried to death... That would've been a tight spot to get out of... Thanks again...
    Bill Birney

Leave a comment:

• ley74
    replied

Billy:

Always great to see you in the field. We were releived when your ride caught up with you.

Take care,

Leave a comment:

• MD_Independent
    replied

Just want to thank the organizers for a great event. It was an awesome experience tramping through the same fields and woods as my ggg grandfathers little brother did as a member of the Fourth PA in 1862. Pretty cool because I grew up on the same farm, working in the same fields, and playing along the same creek as they did. I've always felt closer to them than any other CW-era ancestor I have. This was THE event I've been waiting for since I started in this hobby ten years ago.

Also, there was one generous reb who saved my life, or at least my sanity, Sunday morning when my chewing tobacco supply ran out, and he supplied me with a cigarette while I was filling the canteens for my fellow POW's. To him, I say, Thanks. I am forever in your debt. Nicotine fits suck...
    Billy Birney

Leave a comment:

• Kevin O'Beirne
    replied

I had fun, and only got three ticks. Helluva thing for an upstate New Yorker like me to go from W64 to a mid-April event that had air temps in the 80s, swarms of skeeters, and ticks galore just two months after W64.

I had one of the most interesting, assigned first-person names I've ever had the priviledge to portray. I was the Fourth Pennsylvania Reserves, Co H's "Lt. Abel T. Sweet". I figured if I added another middle name starting with "B", I could have been "able to be sweet". :)

Great job by the organizers in pulling together a good event in only a few months.
    Last edited by Kevin O'Beirne; 04-26-2008, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Private Longshanks
    replied

Hell, I was 1st Cpl. and in 1st platoon, and had to cut up all that damn ham (it wasn't easy), and then ended up not getting ANY pie at all. By the time the canteen detail came back and I got my water, I had just enough time to boil it up with some ham and 'taters in it. I ate about 2 mouthfuls of my "salt soup" and we were on the move so I had to dump it. Then, I got stuck on outpost duty and didn't have any water from before our last engagement on Saturday until Sunday morning!!!! So I don't see why anyone is complainin', as I think Jim Peterson and I did enough for all of us Saturday night!!! And I'm with Mark, where the hell was that liquor ration? I needed it real bad. Soldierin' is a hard life.....

And I thought NCO's had it easy....:cry_smile

Shanky

Leave a comment:

• GrumpyDave
    replied

Those were Yankee ants.

Leave a comment:

• cprljohnivey
    replied

You think the Pie was the first choice for the ants? I hear tell that the queen ant is quite the lush!

Leave a comment:

• Enfilade
    replied

To hell with the pie! I'm still looking for the liquor ration! Why think about it; a captured Yankee officer with a huge crate and no liquor? Not likely!:angry_smi

Mark Berrier
    North State Rifles

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Greyfox
    replied

Ironic isn't it that 1st platoon was the "lucky" platoon to recieve the aforementioned mountain of ants pie...?

Funny, we had no problem dispersing this pie to 30+ individuals, who managed to enjoy the tease despite the little army of ants that had laid first claim to it.

Paul B.

Leave a comment:

• robwall1861
    replied

I got my pie and was happy with that:) (I was one of the lucky ones assigned to 1st platoon for the weekend)....Glendale was an awesome event (my first real campaigner one) and I can't wait till the next one (because of upcoming events for my wedding in July I have taken a break from reenacting till August)

I was soaked on Sunday...come to think of it, the rain did an excellant number on my hat:).....

Take Care.....

Leave a comment:

• Doug Nash
    replied

Hell, since I was on that very canteen detail, it probably disappeared then! Maybe a bear slipped in unbeknownst in uniform and took it - maybe the bear wore a Yankee uniform, for all I know - it was kinda hot and we were a bit dizzy with thirst...
    Cheers,
    Doug

Leave a comment:

Working...
X