Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open seat still available from Arizona

Martin,
    I hadn't thought about that. Nativist meets Dutchy Immigrant. Could definitely be entertaining. Kinda like the last Trip Andy and I wet on where we paired up a Union abolitionist with a pro-slavery seperationist for several hours on end. Good times!

Originally posted by Lone Guard View Post
    Native and I in a car for 20 hours, man that would be... entertaining.
    Ian, I wish you could make it as well. I'd love to hear your insights into the items at the Arabia museum.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Troy-

Sure you already know a lot of this, but definitely make time to hit Wilson's Creek. Definitely one of the least encroached, (as far as seeing anything modern) battlefields and is just beautiful. (And for that matter Pea Ridge is about maybe an hour from there which is incredibly beautiful!!!!)

The Sweeney, museum is quite a collection, considering it was a private collection. It isn't huge but you'll spend more time in there than you think. Even some of Cleburne's stuff.

There is also a ....well don't know what you call it, but a narrated scale relief map of the battlefield which has LED's embedded. It is narrated for the sequencing of the battle and the LED's show movements, positions, firing, etc.

Lastly, Wide Awake Films redid the visitor center film and it is only a few months old. We all await the full-length dvd, but have heard great things about the visitor center version.

Anyway, like the Arabia, I think you'll be happy you stopped there.

See you in a few days and have a safe trip....
      Jay Stevens
      Tater Mess
      Independent Volunteers
      Iron Man Mess
      Reenactor Preservation Coalition
      Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
      Lost Tribes, October 2009
      Bummers, November 2009
      Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
      The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
      In the Van, August 2010
      Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Native...One of my best friends these last 10 years.

I remember when our mess, years ago, was discussing putting together a color guard impression. Since most of the members of our mess were of Irish Catholic descent we sported the idea of having the flag blessed by my Priest, and even flirted with the idea of carving St. Michael or some blessing into the pole, just to screw with Old Native we said that only true Catholics could carry the flag. Needless to say he was pissed and the conversations that followed were pure entertainment.

We always screw with Bill (Native) by saying he's the most Irish looking Blue Blood we ever met (seriously he is).
        Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Jay with us driving straight through I am planning on a little time to stop and see the sights more so then with a family trip. I know about the only time I get to see the "Historical Stuff" according to my wife is when I have to drag her along (with rolling eyes) or when I have a kitchen pass.

Every one: as of now we still have a spot available in my wifes car (05 trailblazer with AC). We can even pick you up along the way NM, CO, OK ect.
          [U]Andy Miller[/U]
          1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
          [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

Working...
          X