• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marmaduke's Raid AAR

I had fun. How about you?
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: Marmaduke's Raid AAR

I reckon I did too. :-)
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I had a great time. Sore muscles and not one tick after close examination.

I enjoyed the company of my fellow civilians for the first part of the event, and the federals for the final part. I got to meet the enigmatic "shotgun man" too, so my mind was set at ease about that.

Three Cheers for Frank for hosting and his hard work to pull this one off.

It was great to meet so many people that I have only "met" on these boards too. I survived Mr. Heath's cooking, in fact, found it quite palatable. Just don't look at it too closely, and its fine.

A jocular time was had by all I wager...
      Last edited by Abrams; 09-29-2008, 09:26 AM. Reason: To use the word jocular.
      Ron Mueller
      Illinois
      New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
      Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
      Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Frank put his heart and soul in putting this event together. He wanting it challenging, physically and mentally, with lots of opportunity for 1st person interactions between the military forces, irregular forces (Mr. Yearby's company), civilians and the moss backs. I think he met his goal and surpassed it.
        Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
        Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
        Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
        The Tater Mess
        The Widow's Son Mess
        WIG's
        [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Comment

When I heard that the rebs had crossed into Missouri I rallied my boys and we made our way across the Black River arriving Thursday afternoon. One of the boys, being a local, guided us toward Goose Creek Valley and told us it was a short half mile. That short half mile turned into more like two miles and it seemed the boy had been drinking and could not find the trail. But finally we found the trail and stumbled in the darkness down a rocky trail and camped for the night on a narrow bench just off the trail. At first light I made a scout of the valley and then returned for the rest of my men. We broke camp and moved up the valley, then down the valley to its mouth at the Black River. There we hid in the willows for a spell and some of the boys commenced to drinking. Sad to say, one of the boys threatened to shoot me, so I had to shoot him, but the will of the Lord stepped in and the powder load was a weak one and the ball only bruised him a bit. Toward dark we made our way up the ridge and slipped right close to the yankee fort. We could hear them talking and all, but being a small force and one not inclined for toe to toe fights, we camped without a fire and the darkness and the lay of the land kept our position safe from detection. During the night another one of the boys stumbled in after being lost down in Arkansas for a week. When the Yankees in the fort began their bugling, we slipped down into a holler, cooked breakfast and then made our way back up the creek to a location across the valley from the yankee fort. My boys were anxious to meet up with the rebs so they could help us get at the Missouri Militia scoundrels we heard had taken refugee there. Patiently we waited like coyotes in the brush and heard the slow movement of the rebs entering the valley along the wagon road. They made their way to the ridge near the yankee fort and unlimbered their artillery and commenced to shelling the fort. The boom of that barrage lifted the spirits of my boys as did the whiskey that had been liberated from some civilians earlier in the day. Finally, we cross the valley and I had the boys spread out to cover the flank of the rebs and I made my way up the ridge to meet with the reb Colonel, a little wisp of a man with devilish eyes from Texas. I assured him we would support his cause, cause his cause was our cause, or at least for getting at Leeper’s scoundrels hiding like scared chickens up there in that yankee fort and not being ones to be braver than attacking women and children. We met up once again with some local fellows we had met earlier and were glad to see us and us glad to see them ‘cause it made us a pretty sizeable force of irregulars. After an hour of guarding the rebs flank, we got bored and since we heard there was a large group of civilians up the valley, we moved that way to see what we could find. It was right easy finding the civilians and I do not think they were any more pleased to see us than most folks we run into, but they did supply us with whiskey and coffee. Being that we could hear a skirmish going on down the valley, we felt our best advantage was to stay with the civilians and the loot we had taken from them than risk life n limb down with the rebs. We were making ourselves right at home and even found a fiddle player and a banjo player the rebs had brought with them and requested they play for us. We also had heard that the reb Colonel had left his cherry bounce in one of the wagons and so we began searching for it since the civilians whiskey supply had done been drunk. At that time, the teamsters boy came running out of the woods yelling that Yankees were coming. This riled me profoundly since the banjo player was in the middle of my favorite song, but the boys responded with the furry of ground hornets having their nest disturbed and drove the Yankees off. To my delight, they had actually captured three of them. I was certain they were Missouri Militia but after a lengthy interrogation, they convinced me they were truly soldiers from Iowa. My boys wanted to hang them, but I prayed on it, and the teamster supplied me with good rum to help my meditation and we turned them over to the rebs to do with what they please though some of my boys wanted to hang them regardless ‘cause they said they didn’t come all the way from Shannon county just for whiskey. Being more like a kindly uncle to the boys than a captain, I reasoned with them and reminded them I wasn’t beyond shooting my own, and they relented. With the yankee prisoners gone, and the civilians out of whiskey, and having snuck off with the reb colonels cherry bounce while we were concentrating on our prisoners, we decided to leave. We made our way up the valley a piece and then snuck back down along the creek for the night. Again the whiskey flowed and I listened to they boys brag about capturing the Yankees. At first light we made our way down the creek to its mouth, through the willows at the mouth, up a ridge, along a holler and slowly made our way toward the yankee fort to support the rebs. We were a bit late and the Yankees had done fled but that left us with the loot and rum and canned tomatoes and a pot of black beans and when the rebs moved out to chase Yankees we helped ourselves to what they had left and rummaged through the yankee colonels tent. The fighting was right fierce along the far ridge but we were too busy rummaging to get involved. Later the reb Colonel come up the hill and told us to man the fort in case the Yankees came back. We were about done with manning the fort and manning forts ain’t much in the cards for our type, so I told the boys to pack up and we were going back across the river where we would rest up before renewing our chase on the Missouri Militia all the time relieved that the Yankees were gone from that fort and the rebs would be soon gone too.
          Captain Tom McClure
          Reves’ Scouts
          Last edited by Old Reb; 09-29-2008, 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

The highlight of the weekend for me was Mr Yearby’s hour long interrogation of the three federal prisoners. That was pure entertainment. I had a great time, met a lot of new folks, and was all around really pleased with the event. Thanks to everyone for making this happen, especially Frank.

Found the Cherry Bounce on Sunday morning. That is some good stuff. As it was 6:30 in the morning on a Sunday and having an empty stomach. A few swallows did me well.

Chris Talburt

Comment

I had a bully time of it.My thanks to Frank for his hard work in the orchestration of this event.I know there was a lot of blood,sweat, and tears put into it.The local community got involved as well by providing shuttles,sharing water sources,etc.If it raised some interest and awareness in local history that is a great thing as well.The more that can be done to preserve the fort remains at Patterson and Ellington,the better.
              It was also great to see familiar faces and meet new ones too.Saturday night music was fun,thanks go to Carl and Dave for bringing banjo and concertina.Hope everyone made it back home safe.
              Forrest Peterson

Tater Mess
              Tater Mess Social Orchestra
              Missourah Shirkers

Comment

I would also like to thank Frank for all his hard work and dedication to this event. I remember last November sitting at the Rams game talking about this event. You need to relax and know that the event you put on was OUTSTANDING!

Xavier Aufmuth also needs some praise for his role in the event. Xavier was at our fort the whole weekend. Not once did this young man leave first person. When we "captured" him on Friday and began to ask him questions his answer never missed a beat. From what others say the whole weekend he stayed in character. Frank not only did you do a great job with the event but with your son also!!!!

Thanks also goes out to the men of Co.A. This was my first time as company commander (it showed at times) and I couldn't have asked for a better group of boys to fall in with. With Lt.Owens, Orderly Busenbark, Sgt Arnold, Sgt Todd, Cpl Bogum, Cravens, Bervard, and Knierim you all did a great job! Thanks for putting up with my mistakes. Also to Terry, Abe, Scott and Eric. Thanks for the help.

Now sh*t A$ses get ready for INTO the PINEY WOODS!
                Nathan Hellwig
                AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

My aar was from my bushwhacker view. This is my serious one to throw out praise. First I praise the good Lord for creating the Ozarks and giving us good weather for the event. Next, I want to praise Frank for his hard, tireless work in putting together the event. My hat is off to him and my many thanks. Next, I want to thank Silvana for doing such an outstanding job in deploying the civilians at various points and how meager they camped and I praise all of them for an great job in acting as true refugees. Next, I want to praise all that made the journey whether as Federal, bushwhacker, Confederate, or mossback. It was a good event. I enjoyed it. As for Holler’s praise of Xavier, I must praise another Aufmuth boy, and that is Samuel. As I interrogated the captured Federals I noticed he was guarding them with a stick. And when I asked him what he was doing, he told me he wanted to shoot them and that he would also shoot his brother for helping them. Beautiful! Now, those Ozark hills make the little nubs in Kisatchie like mole hills, so see you all in Kisatchie next March.
                  Tom Yearby
                  Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

This was one heck of an event. My body still aches from the rough terrain and the many rocks that I ended up sleeping on. My brogans are nearly destroyed. I now see how equipment literally fell apart on these guys!

The highlight for me was when the final big push happened and the defeated army straggled back into camp. We came back so piecemeal I wasn't sure that everyone was there. I had Mr. Trueblood sound orderly call and no one from Company A arrived. I called for 1st Sgt. Busenbark, only to learn that he was captured. I then called for 2nd Sgt. Todd, but learned that he was taken also. Finally, 3rd Sgt. Arnold came. He immediately stepped up and took care of business. This is how it is supposed to work and it was great seeing Company A adapt to the loss of some of their leaders.

There are too many people to thank. I'm sure I'll miss a few, so sorry!
                    -Frank and others for putting on a great event.
                    -Terry Sorchy for running a great battalion--even though he did sneak off on a few scouting adventures of his own, much to the chagrin of his staff.
                    -Jason Reinholtz for being an outstanding adjutant and helping me immensely and Eric Fair for being an excellent bugler.
                    -The cooks under Sgt. Heath for feeding the men and putting up with the staffs many demands.
                    -The company officers, Capt. Holloway, Lt. Owens, Capt. Gerow, Lt. Murray, and Lt. Moffet for their fine leadership. I would also like to point out that while this was Capt. Holloway's first time commanding a company in a battalion (great job by the way, sir), it was also his first time commanding a battalion under fire. When Major Sorchy left to try to get our prisoners returned, the battalion was just being fed. Suddenly several rebels appeared and fired on us from our front. Capt. Holloway went to work and proved a capable leader. He listened to various suggestions and made the right decisions. The fort was never in jeopardy. The battalion staff really enjoyed working with you, sir.
                    -The most important men in any army, the Orderly Sergeants, Busenbark, Liechty, and Ackeret for making my life easier. Their good humor and excellent leadership ability kept their men busy and willing to adapt to ever changing situations not of our making. Thank you!
                    -The NCO corps for running the companies smoothly. You are the definition of professional and an excellent example to your men.
                    -The men of the 32nd Iowa for ding everything asked of you and more without complaint. Great job and I hope I get to serve with you again.
                    -The Barnhouse's for excellent meals. Mmmmmm....
                    -To the gallant foes for keeping us on our toes. I still swear there were two cannons and many more soldiers.
                    -As always, it was great to see old friends and meet new ones.

This was a great event. The Trans-Miss. theater rocks!

Charles H. Huntley
                    Sgt. Major, 32nd Iowa
                    J. Thomas Atkinson

portrayed by Scott Gutzke
                    [URL="http://www.sipleymess.org/"]Ol' Sipley Mess[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.oldnorthwestvols.org/"]ONV[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.risingsun115.com/"]Rising Sun Lodge #115, AF&AM of IL[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.waukeshalodge.org/"]Waukesha Lodge #37, F&AM of WI[/URL]
                    [URL="http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/"]PM, Armistead-Bingham Lodge of Civil War Research #1862, F&AM of WI[/URL]

Comment

All....

I had a great time, and want to thank all involved in the planning of this event. To the Officers, NCOs, and men of Co.A, thanks for letting me serve with you. It was the first time I met many of you. Thanks to Vinnie, Double D, Cpl Bogum, Cpl Hog Sh#*, Capt. Hollar and everyone for making me feel welcome. I would follow you boys through heck without a canteen! Sorry I had to miss out on Saturday night Sunday morning. I hope all went well. I look forward to serving with you again.

Your Obedient servant....
                      Sean Collicott
                      Last edited by lambrew; 09-29-2008, 11:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
                      Your humble servant....
                      Sean Collicott
                      [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                      [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Great event, and must say all the side work payed off. This was the 2nd event i traveled to Trans Miss to attend and they all were spectacular in there own accord! Thanks Frank for a great event..

To the Co A Men... great to work with you, and you are truly a bunch of S#$t A$$'s.. Truly honored to be in a company that can toe the line..

To all the men that made the scouting party on Sat afternoon.. you deserve honors as those ridges would have broken any other men. Tim, Troy you made the event for me, leading you on the scouting party around the Confederate lines. Upon retun to the fort you fell into the platoon and stepped off again. We made that crueling trip twice in 1 hour, and you showed what the S@#t A$$'s can do.. honor to serve with you..

Holler.. you led a fine company.. counting the days to IPW

Boozie.. ill see you in a couple months at frederickburg. looking forward to sharing the bottle and pipe again with you.. excellent job as orderly

Tim, Tod.. what can I say fine NCO's and great soldiers!

Terry once again led a fine BN, and proved he is the man for the job...

Moss Backs.. you made the event interesting, as the scouting party always seemed to run into you though out the weekend... great impression!

Additional note to Ezra Barnhouse! thank you for the wonderful addition to the Ft and more importantly the total event!

Cheers all... now back to nursing my Redbug bites!

Co A 32 IOWA the best Company I have served with in this hobby...
                        [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                        [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

My best event yet! I could not have asked for for a better bunch of boy's to fall in with. It was constant toil and fun. Holler, Skip, Boozie, Tim, Preston, Hyram, Terry, Abe and all of the men I served with were the best of the best. If I missed anybody I am sorry. To Boozie, I thought I chewed a lot of tobacco, but you can hold your own. Skip, I thought I could could walk fast! That was a hell of a patrol we went on to the mossback camp. Preston and Tim, heard a lot about you and I can now see why. Excellent men with a lot knowledge. Hyram you are friend and a SHI% AS# always as is Lem, Jake,Jefferon and the cooking Uncle Beau,Thanks to Terry and Frank and everyone else for putting this on. INTO THE PINEY woulds I go!

Greg Colvin(David Cravens)
                          Hog Shi%
                          Hairy Nation Boy's

Comment

One minor point of clarrification seems needed. Reve's Scouts were not mossbacks. They were an independent command friendly to the Confederate force entering southeast Missouri. While they were armed mossbacks in the area that were friendly with Reve's Scouts, they were also independent of any command. No Federals vistied the camp of Reves' Scouts, because the scouts had no fixed camp. The encounter with the scouts was while they were visiting the civilians. The little civil war in southeast Missouri that was part of the Big Civil War was very complicated. Hope this helps.
                            Tom Yearby
                            Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Hello to all,

I have not yet shaken off all the travel, but here goes:
                              Many thanks to Frank and all the organizers, this one was special. Good weather; bad
                              terrain, except down in the washes; great group of living historians on both sides. It does
                              not get any better than this.
                              Memories: black night with nothing but your ears to tell you if there is anything out there
                              in front of your post; filling in the latrine, fit punishment for the joke at Sgt. Gutzke's
                              expense; watching our cavalry go thru the woods on ground I could barely walk on with
                              all those rocks, up and down them hills from hell; picking bones out of a very tasty soup
                              of chicken with some tack added; the assualt on the Confederate stronghold, which left me
                              very dead (my apologies to those Rebs who came and found no haversack and I had drunk
                              almost all my water - "Hell, he ain't got nothin' worth takin' ...!"); the sutlery, and the great
                              oysters Jasper and me shared; the turtle in the cup; the stuff that wound up on my musket
                              butt; chiggers; me, Jasper, and Rich Propp stuck for a time in the biggest bramble patch
                              I have seen; chopping down trees for the redans; Brian and I stumbling over to watch
                              the fun and the singing; getting surprized by the second cannon on Sunday; finding
                              the Reb pickets on the ridge, who saw me the same second I saw them; Jason being
                              everywhere and making sure everyone was OK; did I mention the Rocks?
                              Had an absolutely superb time! Hope to see all my comrades again real soon.

Theodore Phillips, Co. F, 32 Iowa aka Jim Schumann
                              Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                              James C. Schumann
                              Mess #3
                              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                              X