Marmaduke's Raid AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marmaduke's Raid AAR

Well we survived and no one got too hurt. Did I hear rumblings about rocks??? Oh, sorry I grew up with those rocks I thought the terrain was normal.
    We had a scary (what I consider scary) when the wagoner almost tipped his trailer in a ditch with all his oxen and wagon. I didn’t think we would ever get the oxen out of that trailer on Friday but we did. Ike did a number on the trails I had spent a year clearing. It took all day just to get one of the wagons in and I was astonished to see the second one on Saturday. Thanks go to Gery Barker and Doug Harding for getting their wagons in and helping make the civilian side of the event. I’m glad Paul Arnold and his dozen mighty men pulled their gun in on Sunday. Those guys lugged that gun for two miles to get it up on that hill Saturday afternoon and they fired it like wild men. I’m glad Terry attacked our position Saturday otherwise there weren’t any patrols we could see and the whole weekend would have been pretty uneventful. Brian Hicks was full of good ideas about scouting parties and helped make me look much better or at least clearer than I really was.
    My (I use this word loosely) “company” commanders led their men over difficult terrain on some pretty difficult scouts. Herb Coats, Mike Comer, and Mike Kupsch thanks for keeping the men in your squads together.
    Tom your scouts were about as historically correct as they could be staying in the fort.
    The ending didn’t work out quite the way I planned it but then the similarities between that and what really happened were pretty uncanny. Even in 1863 William Physic Zuber didn’t really care to charge around the next bend so he just went back to Patterson to find the rest of the army there. So the army pretty much dispersed the way it had back in ’63 just earlier than I wanted it to.
    Terry without you I would have been worried about running an event, and two armies you took the federal army out of my hands. Thank you for that.

Thanks go to my Dad (who will never see this) for letting us set up on his land. As well as the Corps of engineers which was land that I don’t think we used enough. As well as the neighbors I didn’t know we had who let us cross their land and use their wells.

Raffle winners will be contacted via e-mail so we can hook them up with their prizes. The account is not balanced yet but with matching funds Ft. Patterson a.k.a. Ft. Benton will get about $3000 and “Ft. Barnesville” in Ellington will get around $400. If you did the IOU plan on raffle tickets please pay up.

In all I think things went well but I’m going to need time to allow my hair to grow back.

Glad you enjoyed the evnt.

Mingo Swamp

Dear Sir:

As ordered I crossed the Black River and scouted the roads with a local farmer named T.J. He had been misplaced by the federal occupation of his home and was very willing to show me the trails. Because of recent storms we found parts of the road to be impassable and out of concern for our supply wagon we cleared what we could.
    Returning to the River I found Captain Kupsch and placed him in command of the battalion and organize them as they crossed the river and ordered him to cook three days’ rations all foraged from the local population. I then set out to find out the condition of our wagon. When I arrived I found the wagon on a dangerous spot in danger of tipping over and the oxen in danger of falling. A small party of us were able to move the oxen to safety and right the wagon with much effort. I was half astonished that the animals could walk after the tumble they had taken.
    I ordered our wagoner to meet us at the river crossing but hours later we still had not seen him and learned later that it took the whole day for him to move his wagon less than two miles. The recent storms had done much damage to the roads and he spent much of it clearing the way.
    Once the wagon was on it’s way we returned to the river crossing and organized the men into a company and sent out last minute water details. This ground has been very rough on the animals and I found my command save one man dismounted from lack of forage, animals injured and drowned in the swollen river. Dismounted we proceeded up the Patterson road about two miles where we met up with our wagon. The poor man was exhausted after a tedious journey following a very rough road to our rendezvous point.
    Shortly after we arrived at our bivouac at dark. Pickets were sent out but besides hearing very fait female voices in the distance nothing of circumstance happened all night.
    Early on the 27th instant we awoke at 5 am after a short breakfast heading down the road about ½ mile until I felt contact with federal patrols was imminent. We traveled through the woods parallel to the main road for several hundred yards until nearly upon a group of civilians in the woods camping. We sent patrols forward but I was surprised to find no federals in the area. I sent two patrols forward to look for federals and continued to the civilians’ wagons finding them with several watermelons and sundry items. They informed me that a mounted federal patrol had visited them earlier that morning. Although the man had parole papers from Vicksburg the federals did not give him much trouble. Other civilians scattered as we arrived. Most of them were very hospitable towards us. Up to this time we occupied a rise in a stand of pine trees giving our artillery an advantageous position.
    After the patrols returned I learned that there wasn’t a federal between us and the fort. Knowing we were very close to the federal fort we moved forward to occupy the tip of a ridge along the Patterson road overlooking a valley perhaps 600 yards beyond our former position. “Pratt’s battery” commanded by Paul Arnold did valuable service to the army moving his gun around. That mountain gun proved to be worth its weight as every man on the battery had to pull it nearly two miles to get it into position. Once in place we began shelling the fort. Even the enemy was surprised by their rate of fire. During a subsequent parley they thought we had two guns and even timed them at 17 seconds per shot.
    We spent most of the day sending out pickets to various points only losing one man captured. However even direct sorties against the fort usually failed to get the federals attention. Around 4 pm our position was assaulted but the ground being good and our artillery hot at work we were able to push them off without too much trouble.
    Earlier we formed a plan to make a demonstration against the federal fort and on hearing dinner call sent up a small force. Hearing the drums roll in their fort I knew we disrupted their dinner. We were followed back about 105 yards by their cavalry and had a trap set to capture them when one of the men on my right fired prematurely but evidently hit the Major’s horse and sent him spinning off the saddle. The surprise ruined we fell back to our position on the hill.
    Sprits were good in camp that evening. Men sang, rested, and did guard duty. We pulled pickets up the hill that evening and the men slept on arms that night.
    At this time I received orders from Marmaduke to surprise the garrison and capture it with all its men and weapons. We fired a shot with our artillery before advancing deployed to the right of the fort as skirmishers. Arriving at the top we found the fort abandoned save their cooked breakfast and a couple of men who were either captured or shot. Their sutler had been left behind either looting him or trying to pay him in confederate greenbacks. Capt. Reves company to our left just arriving at the fort. With some effort I reformed the company and sent them after the federals. Our skirmish was short. After climbing a few hills we pushed the federals off the first ridge and seemed ready to push the federals back when the entire left end of my line disappeared.
    In turn the federals pushed back I found myself on the front line alone the federals pushing forward and one hand to hand encounter and my army dispersed, I handed my pistol to a captain of the company in our front and surrendered.
    For all I know everyone made it back out of those woods and are hopefully living well in that snake infested, flooded, Mingo Swamp.

Frank Aufmuth
    On to the Piney Woods
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Well, let's just say artillery is rough business in the Ozarks. We pulled the piece into the site Friday (proabably about a mile to a mile and a 1/2), then waited on the infantry to catch up. Then pulled another mile or so into the forward Confederate position. I'm not sure just how many rounds we fired but it was probably 125-150ish, I'll now more when he counts how many we have left.

Just for those who keep saying two cannon. There was only one, we just moved the dang thing A LOT! The oxen showed up Sunday morning and pulled us into battle with the Federals. Really can't say enough about the fellow Confederates and Federals we faced. Saturday afternoon's fight was pretty wild.

Great event, thanks Frank for putting it on!

Paul Arnold

P.S. We found out how to move the cannon much faster......run over a ground hornets nest!
      Marmaduke's Artillery
      Paul Arnold

Comment

Frank,

Rocks? Heck, that soil was so rich, deep, and loamy that Billy dug the standard mess fire trench with a canteen half and bayonet in about five minutes. How could anyone possibly complain about having gravel roads anywhere they walked?

I hardly ever comment on the minstrel shows, since they have become about as common as a hardtack issue these days, but if the object of a minstrel show is to entertain, then they were successful beyond their mission statement. Johnny, Tom, Don, Dave, Billy, and I laughed during the show, and even Captain Obvious was giggling most of the way home. While the lads may have their own name for their musical ensemble (minus one or two on detached duty), we simply applied the moniker of "Ethiopian Joculars." What a fine hooty hoo.

Xavier aka "Spot," may have learned some new vocabulary and colloquial references to anatomy, bodily functions, and livestock during his stay in the fort. We tried to keep him well fed, warm, and in returned he shared his largesse from those many sutler visits where he appeared to gain weight as if by magic every single time the Barnhouses turned their backs. The lad has a bright future in burglary, larceny, and footracing.

We trotted out a couple of old reliables, and tried a few new things around the serving line this time around. The desiccated potatoes are as utilitarian in 2008 as they were in the 1850s. The "cabbage currie," a recent NARA find, was an experiment that appeared to go over well, just from the anecdotate evidence of a kettle practically licked clean. Some of the boys had never had that 1845 red flannel hash aka "the bloody flux," but a few of them knew it by name, and a couple came 'round looking for third helpings. It is nice to use a pair of root crops in context with some fine salt beef from Uncle Beau, although I suspect the lads were chinking a winter hut somewheres about. The gunpowder tea went over well with those who were looking for something other than coffee. I understand the Bayou Yeti enjoyed the beans, but needed a little boost from the pepper sauce conveniently located nearby.

The plentiful hickory nuts were the best I have enjoyed since I was a boy. Tasty. Sweet.

(Uncle Tom, we will see you on that dark and bloody ground next March, and it was good to see the Father of All Waters not once but twice in the daylight. This morning I gazed upon the mighty Susquehanna River and the Chesapeake Bay, and thought about just how darn fun this is.)
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I'd like to thank Frank, too, for two years of hard work. I'm looking forward to hearing the final tally on the preservation fund. All who attended the event and donated their money, raffle goods, and hard work at the many work weekends should be proud of themselves.

I had such a fantastic time. I especially enjoyed all the unexpected interactions with the Mossbacks, Reve's Scouts, the Confederates, and the federals we met. That was one of the most interesting parts of this event-- you never knew what would happen next or what you'd have to talk yourself out of. I would like to thank all the civilians for their incredibly hard work -- many of them prepared for almost a year, getting into condition, practicing carrying all their gear, writing letters to each other, and learning Southeastern Missouri history. Hank and Linda Trent were great fun as always. I hope Linda is still speaking to me after she found herself facing down -- very calmly I might add -- the business end of two barrels of a shotgun I aimed at her in the middle of one very dark night when I couldn't identify her footsteps.

Since everyone is praising Frank's children, I would like to add that his daughter is just as excellent at first person. He had asked the civilians to take care of Megan. She was completely in the period and was a great tough little sport the entire weekend. Never lost her sense of humor even when she was being eaten alive by chiggers. I guess we are looking at the next generation of hard cores.

I'm not sure I can really pick out just a few highlights. Sleeping on that sandbar under a starry sky with the coyotes howling; being annoyed by the Scouts (I'd like to know how a Deacon of his church can possibly think that the Gospel of St. John is from the Old Testament); sneaking the Cherry Bounce off the wagon & then running right out from under the Scouts' noses, only to be rescued by another party of ruffians & taken to their hideout high atop a ridge; just catching glimpses of people in the woods or the prairie and trying to figure out whether I could trust them ... I have to say that this was, for me, one of the most interesting events I've ever attended.

I could think of a lot more, but for now I'd just like to thank everyone for a wonderful time. One of the best things about this hobby is, of course, all the friends you make and the great new people you meet. That valley was so beautiful that it was hard to leave.

Yes, indeed, on to Piney Woods.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
          [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
          [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

My pards and I had a great time. The rocks seemed to grow from the ground. No matter how much I cleared a spot to sleep another rock would poke me. I was very upset having to leave Saturday evening and pull my two pards out of there too.
            My thanks to the Sgt Major for donating a rag to wrap around my finger during the Saturday assult and another big thanks to Jason who tended to me when I made it back to the Fort. Jason, thanks for helping me pack up too. Also, a thank you to the friendly neighbors who drove us back to the car and gave us directions. For those that might be interested, my finger should be fine in a few weeks.
            It was a horrible feeling watching my company (A) get charged, hold their ground and then were forced to run. I was very happy to seem some of them when they returned. I hope I was successful in getting the urgent message to parole the prisoner in time. Perhaps the three of us leaving added to the realism of the attack since three men were gone that night. Thanks to everyone who made that event and the experience possible. I had many moments there that will not be forgotten.

Thank you!!!
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

I know that myself and the rest of my pards in the Horse Hair Mess all had a GREAT time this weekend. A big thank you to Frank for all of the hard work you have put in the last year.

It was quite the experience to come back from our patrol on Sunday morning and finding that ALL of the federals but one had abandoned the fort. With no idea from the major that they were going to leave; and having no orders on what to do, we did what we thought was best. Dismounting we manned the walls of the fort with our carbines to hopefully slow the advancing hoard of Johnnys, partisans, etc. We were firing our carbines as fast as we could but eventually the shear numbers overwhelmed us. You guys sure did look good rushing up the hill from my perspective.

One thing I will remember for awhile was Charles telling us that we did indeed smell like horses. In the truck on the ride back we all commented that we didnt think that we smelled like horses, but then again maybe we are just too used to it!

It was good to finally meet you Chris, hopefully we can ride together sometime.
              Dan Chmelar
              Semper Fi
              -ONV
              -WIG
              -CIR!

Comment

There was a BRAND NEW tin cup that I found in the back of my suburban. I am not sure how it got there. If someone stuck it in there by mistake please let me know. It is a tapered cup with a riveted handle, very heavy. Nice cup. Send me a PM or email if you think that it is yours.

Chris Talburt

Comment

Pards and Comrades,

I had a good time but I am throughly exhausted.I tried to watch my beloved bears last night when I got home and I couldn't keep my eyes open. Thanks to Frank and all who accomplished all the behind the scences things that made this event good. And thanks to all who attended aqs well .

The good- a beutiful location to look at
                  - The opprotunity to create, man and operate within a fort was very cool.
                  - kinship from the others - specail thanks to Sgt. Liechty for paper supplies:D
                  - Co. F the "Hardin county Billygoats" did a fine job and supplied more information than even asked for.
                  - Good grub. Thanks Chawls no Mule chow this time.
                  - Attention to details . Telegraph , Sanitary commission , fatigue duty all added to the event.
                  - Sutler- Mr & MRs. Crab saved my Butt. Literally .
                  - the fact that it was a good event only 5 hours away!
                  - descent Fir per. I had some good dialogue with a number of tthose involved .

the Bad
                  - Many of us got our butt's kicked by all the hill climbing.
                  - Not getting to interact with the Mossbacks much .
                  - not getting to defend the fort that we worked so hard on . I guess that is how the army works.

The ugly
                  - Seeing po ole Phillips filling up the sinks
                  - Having a turtle in my porriger????
                  - Sore ankles and hands that look like they have wrestled with farrel cats ( briars)
                  - Seeing Leiser with a headache all day.
                  Rod Miller
                  [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                  A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                  1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                  1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                  1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                  1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                  Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                  1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                  Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Well, after spending 3 days north of Swampeast, Missouri I thank God for how beautiful my southeastern corner of the state really is, chiggers and all. Thanks to the Aufmuths for their land, skills, and hard work. Thanks to Silvana and the other civilians for putting so much work into the event so many months before it even started. As a Mossback I had the unique experience to avoid capture from 3 warring groups and found it quite enjoyable...dare I say exciting!

Everyones' impressions were top notch and the oxen and wagons (and cannon I hear) added a whole new dimension to an otherwise stellar event.

Favorite moments of Marmy's?
                    -"Gis' let 'em go. He's drunk!" Thanks Forrest and the fellas at the top of the Confederate line for slipping me through
                    -Being woke up from a nap under the pines with a Confederate column moving down the road just 50 feet in front of me and deciding between running or staying put and praying
                    -Using the capture of the Federal troops by Revve's Scouts as the diversion needed to slip off into the brush

Great event...need sleep!
                    Thanks,
                    Matt Shomaker
                    [B][COLOR="Navy"]PVT. Matthew Shomaker[/COLOR][/B]
                    [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
                    "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
                    [COLOR="Red"]
                    Marmaduke's Raid
                    MSG Returns to Boonesfield Village
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Had an absolutely awesome time in south-east Missouri this past weekend. The civilians got there Thursday afternoon, so it was nice to be able to start out earlier than we normally would at weekend events. I've found the events which last longer than a weekend really mean so much more to me. They also make me want to stay out there even longer. As hard as it was to sleep on the ground every night with no soft bed or pillow or warm shower, I'd definitely stay out there much longer if I could. This was a true experience, one which I'll never forget. There were so many wonderful moments. It's hard to really describe each and every one of them, so I'll try to write out some of my favorite experiences.

The first night we slept out by Goose Creek and the ground was rocky/sandy. Let's just say that was not the most comfortable spot to sleep on. I hadn't slept very well the previous two nights, so I figured it would be easy to fall asleep this first night. Didn't happen. Instead I was awake the whole night gazing at the beautiful sky above me, catching a few falling stars and hearing some very interesting noises. If I heard correctly I thought someone mentioned that there was a mountain lion spotted. Perhaps not, but I did hear some strange noises that night. Another funny story that comes to mind was earlier Thursday evening Mr Anderson (Hank Trent) found the belongings and a rifle right next to the area we were going to be sleeping at. We ended up taking the rifle and I was a little worried we may have a visitor while I lay there awake that night. No one showed up, though Silvana and I did think for a moment there was someone prowling about during the night. As the person was coming out of the bushes, she took the rifle and pointed it at them. The person came closer, without saying a word, and we found out just in time that it was Mrs. Tope (Linda Trent). It was kinda funny and gave us something to talk about later that morning. The next day we found out the rifle and other items actually belonged to our friend Bailey Smith (Jay Stevens). It really was a bit of a miracle that he happened upon us later that afternoon. I don't know what he would have done for the rest of the event if he didn't have his things!

Friday there was a bit of excitement with a few fed cav who came to our camp and found the old flintlock Frank let Silvana and I use for the weekend. We stupidly had it sitting next to a tree, when we really should have hidden it from view. They threatened to return and we feared there would be more men to trap us from leaving that spot, so Silvana and I decided to take little Megan and all of our belongings with us and head off away from the federal side. After hiking for quite some time and finding there was no water in the area, we decided perhaps it was better to return. We made sure the coast was clear and then came back to spend the night where we had originally planned to sleep. It was funny that we didn't spot the federals the whole weekend, though I heard later some of them were lurking about.

Probably what made the event for me was the guerrillas and the bushwhackers we ran into at various times throughout the event. I barely saw a confederate or a federal the entire time, except for a few more confederates who were filling their canteens with water. Tom Yearby and Fred Baker, you guys are a riot and you're also terribly mean! One moment they were nice to us and all of a sudden they turned and put a guard on us and wouldn't let us go! One of the guys, the one in the red shirt (sorry, I can't remember your name, though I do remember meeting you at BGR) took his rifle and shot it in the air next me because we wouldn't do what he told us to. Took me back for a moment there! Let me just say, Tom, you fit the part and I felt like I was really there in the presence of a horrible bloodthirsty bushwhacker, driven on hard whiskey and fighting. That time when you guys were praying over the prisoners and told us women to take off our bonnets was priceless. That whole scenario was great and definitely made me think for a moment whether or not this was all real or fake.

Silvana and I were trying to think of a way to get out of there. I guess there is something about being held prisoner that is suffocating and the free-spirit in me which makes me dislike it so. I had to find a way to get out of there, and fast. Fred and Tom were keeping a close eye on the both of us and they also assigned one of their men to guard us so that we would not leave. Somehow through the commotion of capturing the three federal prisoners, I noticed Fred was talking with our guard a little bit away from where Silvana and I were standing. Seeing this moment of opportunity, my heart started to race and I let Silvana know of my little plan of escape. I noticed a trail not far from the camp that we could run to hopefully in enough time that no one would see us and we could wait there until the coast was clear. So we made a mad dash for it. A few of our friends noticed, but didn't say anything. We were hiding in the grass when our friends Dave, TJ and Paul were walking towards us (the guerrillas). Dave asked if we wanted to follow them to get away and we agreed that was the best plan. So we headed off, my heart was still racing. I wanted to get the heck out of there. I felt like I had already run a marathon that day and my feet were aching, but we kept pushing on. TJ was in the front and led us pretty far away from our previous camp, over a stream and up the side of a cliff and into their camp (which, btw, they found the night before with only one candle - that is skill). We were up far enough that if someone were to come looking for us, we would hear them before they could get too close. Of course no one did look and I don't even think the other bushwhackers noticed we had left. They had other concerns on their mind. However, in my head I was in a different time and I knew that bushwhackers were murderers and I didn't know what they planned for us. My only regret is that we worried a few people that night. I'm very sorry to Frank, Carl and the others for running off like that. I know you were expecting us that evening, but pretty much the moment we got up to the camp on the side of the cliff, it became dark and there was absolutely no way I was going to find my way down that thing without getting incredibly lost.

I've also learned a lot, like never wear cotton stockings again, ever! I have two huge blisters on my feet. Luckily I brought wool stockings with me and quickly changed into them the next morning. I also discovered that you can get by with a lot less than you think. And after a few days of no sleep, you quickly find that you adjust to your surroundings and eventually it's not a problem. I still had a rough time getting more than a couple hours each night, but I'm fairly certain that if I was out there longer, I would have had no trouble. I also discovered you get very dirty very fast. Especially when water is hard to come by. There is no way I'm going to wash my hands instead of taking a drink. I've been dehydrated before because of lack of water and it's no fun. So my nails were packed with dirt and even now I still have dirt ground into my skin, but you do what you can and call it good. And believe me, I'm not the type of person who likes to be dirty. When you are out living in the woods, you have no choice.

Hopefully I didn't ramble on too much! There were of course many more moments, but I can't write them all here. I don't think I've been pushed harder than I was at Marmy's. So far this is the best event I've ever attended. I think it's wonderful how the hobby is moving and that these types of events are starting to get planned more regularly. Before they were unheard of. Frank, I want to thank you so much for doing this. I know you worked your butt off and I'm sure you will need a very long time to recover. But I do want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I truly had the best time. I also enjoyed having little Megan along with us. She is a sweetheart! I hope she didn't mind too much when Silvana and I both acted as her mother. ;-) She also is a natural at first person. There were only a few times we had to remind her that we were "in the period," but she was always a good sport about it. And most of the time she kept us laughing. Also I want to thank Silvana for coordinating the civilian side. I know she worked really hard to put this together and did an excellent job at it. I think I can safely say all the civilians had a blast.

I'm attaching a few pictures that were taken before the event started. Pardon the modern cars in the parking lot. I wanted to get after pictures so that you could see how gross and dirty we all looked, but unfortunately I forgot. :)

Up next...Piney Woods and Bummers!

Few more pics here.
                      Attached Files
                      Anna Allen
                      <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                      [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

All,

I had a great time at the event. So did the miscreants I brought with me from the Peach State. (including the new guy I brought) I thoroughly enjoyed the event site, the march from the river, the scouting, shooting some Yanks, the camraderie, and looting the fort.

The rocks I can deal with and I did. The blisters on my heels will subside, the brogans can be replaced. It is the redbugs that are killing me now. Yaargh! I guess the charge of the Half Naked Georgians & Hoosiers on Saturday afternoon did have some consequences.

Once again Frank and company put on a stellar event.

And it was good to see the Bumblebee back in action.....

Joel, Runyon, Cas, Andy Martin, Baby New Year, AJ, and Eric Prater (newb) thank you for joining me for some fun shenanigans. Thanks to the Comer, Kupsch, and Arnolds gents for a solid band of un disciplined dismounted recreated Texicans. And thanks to the Ground Hornets for not shooting me when I went for a canteen fill.

Finally thanks to the civilans who were there. Although I didn't speak to many of you, just being there and not knowing whose side you supported kept me wary. Especially the gent with the parole papers. That was a darn good moment for me.
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Hills, rocks, dark, "garrison" duty mixed with "campaign" duty, unknown enemies at unknown locations, patrols getting split up, discovering ravines are deeper than they looked at first inspection, finding out locations marked on maps may not be correct, hitting the enemy and getting pinned down and pushed back.

This was my first time portraying a 1st sgt in a battalion (however small it was). Thanks to the gentlemen of the battalion command and staff for their efforts.

A BIG THANKS to Frank for all of his work to make this event happen.
                          Andy Ackeret
                          A/C Staff
                          Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Arrived on site Friday morning just in time to miss drill (darn!:D).

Friday
                            I fell in with 2nd squad, 2nd Platoon of Company A. As we marched along the road, I really started regretting my decision to enlist in the first place. That hill was steep!We arrived on post and immediately set out work details to start felling trees and commenced to building breastworks. Our supper was an interesting glop of purple that tasted alright as long as you didn't have to look at it. As night fell, the pickets from Company D fired at something, but when we went on picket, we never saw a thing.

Saturday
                            After pulling picket from midnight until 6 in the morning, our company was pulled off the line for breakfast (cold leftovers from the night before, and the hardtack could be used as cannon ammunition) and a rest.

As the rest of Company A and Company D went on patrol, two other men and myself volunteered to watch the upper redoubt since the majority of the garrison was gone. We had only been there about an hour when we heard leaves crunching in our rear. We crawled over to some low bushes and waited. Within seconds a man in civilian clothes carrying a pistol crept out of the woods, then another in a distinctive yellow shirt, then another. We waited until the three were clustered together, then opened fire. They came right at us, and not knowing how many there were, we feared we would be overrun and captured. As luck would have it, the rest of Company A was returning from their patrol at the exact moment we fired. They immediately hurled out a skirmish line and pushed the enemy out of the area.

Later in the day, our pickets fired upon some Rebs to our front. Lt. Owens deployed our platoon in an effort to sweep them and hopefully capture them. After our sweep, 2nd Squad continued up the next hill, then Lt. Owens sent me to inform Sgt. Todd and the rest of the platoon that he was going to continue on. After waiting for an hour or so for them to return, we withdrew to the fort.

Some time later, Lt. Owens and his party returned and an expedition was mounted to strike at the Rebel camp. I again volunteered to stay in the fort, since so many were going out the fort was practically undefended. As I listened from the upper redoubt, I could hear firing, screaming, and above it all the harsh tones of a bugle. It was maddening not knowing what was happening. When the men returned, I found out that we had taken some losses and been forced to retreat.

We settled in for supper, only to have it interrupted by the shout of "Rebs to our front!" Capt. Holloway rapidly deployed the entire garrison and sent out pickets. After determining that the Rebs had left, our platoon was sent out on picket until 10 o'clock. We heard a minstrel show going on in camp, but didn't get to enjoy it.

Sunday
                            We were awakened at 6 to go out on picket again while the rest of the garrison got breakfast. Once the rest of the boys had been fed, we were ordered to sling knapsacks and eat on the go. I received black beans and a flour tortilla, which made Sgt. Arnold jealous since all he got was the contents of the "mystery pot".

As soon as we finished eating, we were ordered to abandon the works. We were marched out and into a draw with hills on all sides of us. Our platoon deployed as skirmishers up the side of the hill to our right.

Shortly, we heard firing to our front, then a cannon opened up. Capt. Holloway was ordered to fire on the gunners. Suddenly, 1st Platoon of Company A started to fall back and they informed us that the Rebs were moving up the ridges on both flanks with the artillery in the center.

Our platoon was ordered to advance, and after about 20 feet, I looked to my left and saw Rebs moving on the road below me. I fired, then shouted to Capt. Holloway that they were there. He informed me that 1st Platoon was already dealing with it. I moved up the hill and suddenly found myself face to face with 2 or 3 Rebs using a pile of deadfall as cover. Sgt. Todd led myself and 2 others to drive them out. As we got right on top of them, suddenly nearly a dozen Rebs boiled out of the woods right at us. I fell back as fast as I could move, loading as I went. Just when I thought I was a prisoner for sure, the rest of my platoon smashed into the Rebel flank and captured the whole lot of them, including two fellows they called "Runyon and Hicks". We reoccupied the works and were dismissed from service following our victory.

Modern
                            I'd like to thank Capt. Holloway, Lt. Owens, Sgts Arnold and Todd, my Corporal (whose name I can't remember) and all the great guys in 2nd Squad, 2nd Platoon, Company A. I appreciate the opportunity to serve with such fine men. To the fellow whose seat I spit on, I hope your butt didn't get wet. Oh yeah, Dutchie still has the blasted turtle.

PS: Charles, the combination of cabbage on Saturday and beans on Sunday morning has still got me playing a one man minstrel show.
                            John Spain
                            4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                            "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Originally posted by Silvana Siddali View Post
                              I hope Linda is still speaking to me after she found herself facing down -- very calmly I might add -- the business end of two barrels of a shotgun I aimed at her in the middle of one very dark night when I couldn't identify her footsteps.
                              Nope. Just kidding, that was just exactly what you should have done. :D We just walked in the door about 20 minutes ago, and I have to get some sleep. I'll write my AAR later this afternoon or tonight once I gather all my thoughts.

Oh, and Ron Mueller, Hank and I had a great time hanging out with you on Friday and part of Saturday!

More later,

Linda.
                              Linda Trent
                              [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
                              It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaTrent View Post
                                Oh, and Ron Mueller, Hank and I had a great time hanging out with you on Friday and part of Saturday!

More later,

Linda.
                                I had an absolutely wonderful time with you two also. I could not have asked for better companions. Hank found us an excellent hidey-hole. Good shade, good water, good wood, and off the beaten track enough to keep us safe, while the cannon and rifle fire showed us we were close enough for it to be exciting.

Shooting stars, rock-bowling, a little Thoreau, fishhook making and enjoying the outdoor living with minimal creature comforts was a blast with you two.

I hope to spend time with you-all again :)

I really did enjoy our time together. :)
                                Ron Mueller
                                Illinois
                                New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                                Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                                Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X