Marmaduke's Raid 1863

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marmaduke's Raid 1863

Ed, were those Childress' in GA at the time? My ex is kin to that name in Henry county, GA. They have some original letters from one of the extended family, tho I am not sure wether he was a Childress off hand.[/QUOTE]

Yessir they were. In fact from what my uncle has done in the way of research they are the Childress family who lived right near Chickamauga. From what my uncle has sent me my GG grandfathers mother was at the CHildress farm during the battle. Boozie's family came from NC which is also where our line came from as well, guess we all might be related! I'd love to see copies of the letters and see if any names tie in to what my uncle has compiled about the family. Thanks for the heads up.

Edward Parrott
    Edward Anthony Parrott
    "Humbug"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Nickerson View Post
      Bradford, how about you leavin' that Texas size snore back in Texas this time around? My point wasn't about how far it is, but the fact that for once we will be "normal"!

Mike Nickerson
      Mike,

Question, did you get stepped on by the elephant? If not, don't complain.

Bradford
      Charles Bradford
      Texas

Comment

Originally posted by csabugler View Post
        Bradford,
        Trust me, ole Nickerson knows the drill. :D Geez, he's got a road tractor AND a Ford dually for hauling. You coming back to the Mill this year? I got my freaking Smith working when I got home from O3.
        Patrick,

Too many out of state events in May. Going to Kansas City for Stand of Colors with my Texas unit.

Bradford
        Terry's Texas Rangers
        Charles Bradford
        Texas

Comment

Being that I am already excited about the event in Missouri and having registered and paid, I was looking here and on the Raid’s website for a registered list and/or paid list and was wondering if that was being kept hush to give the event participant that unknown feeling or if someone has just not thought of or had time to post a registered list out there for all of us.

Joel Phillips
          The Coon Dawg’s Mess
          Valdosta, Ga
          Joel Phillips

Comment

I'll attach the registered list to the home page some how. I will list the names as Union, CS and Civilian
            Frank
            Frank Aufmuth
            When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Just saw the registered list on your website. Awesome! Thanks a bunch Frank.
              Last edited by Coon Dawg; 02-12-2008, 08:32 PM.
              Joel Phillips

Comment

I found this article in an 1857 issue of the Magazine of Travel, written by an engineer named Warren A. Isham who had traveled through Iowa & published his diary. I thought those who were coming as civilians might find his description of backwoods hunters & their guns interesting.

BTW, this description comes from a series entitled "Sketches of Border Life," which ran in the magazine for a couple of years. I just discovered that Google Books has scanned most of the magazine, so if you want to read the rest of this (as well as many other really interesting articles on country life in the late 1850s) check out the magazine & search for the series title.

pp. 179-180

“Now and then [hunters] may be met in the woods, a speciment of the genuine backwoodsman, rough and hearty, sociable and full of yarns relating to his calling, his rifle and dogs being as rough as himself. The hunter holds in special contempt the exploits of amateur shooters, with their double barrelled shot guns, and finely polished rifles . . . He generally carries an old fashioned rifle, that has been an heir-loom in the family, and which is valued for its good qualities rather than its appearance. All bright ornaments, such as are valued on our finished rifles, are carefully avoided, and the blacker the barrel, and greasier the stock, the more it is esteemed, so long as there is a bore that will send the ball to the very spot intended, and without fail. . . .

He loved most dearly his uncouth old rifle. Holding it up, and looking at it affectionately, he would say, “Mebby you think, boys, that this ere old gun wont shoot, cause she haint got any shiny fixens and fancy flumididdles on her; but I tell you she’ll put a ball right into the spot every time. I don’t want none of yer brass and German silver fixens round my old Continentaler. Why, look at yer! I’ve actilly seed a feller come out yere with one o’ them are fancy fixed up consarns, and what he called a shootin’ jacket, and big boots that buckled up around his chin . . . Well, he had brass and silver on that are gun to that amount that he actilly skeered every deer and turkey out of the woods …
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
                [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
                [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

That is good article and gives some perspective on the people, place and time. It would be interesting to know if this individual became accomplished at shooting men in those woods during the War. Perhaps a double barreled shotgun would have appeared more attractive in that case.
                  Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
                  Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
                  Shoemaker

Comment

The event is about 6 weeks away.
                    I implore you if you are coming, this would be a good time to start exercising.
                    We won't be sitting around camp just frying bacon, this is not a living history. I'm certain that those coming are campaigners so If those of you who can would just go out and walk, jog, run, hit the tread mill, stair master or whatever. This would give you an edge so you are not finished the first time you climb a hill. 15-20 minutes for 6 weeks is just enough time to build yourself up. We only give the Cross Country team about three weeks so this is doable. I'm not asking for the "Grayhound Squad" or Marathoners but every little bit helps.
                    Those who have walked the site can tell you what it's like. This is not the event for stragglers the action is in the front.
                    Where stand you?
                    Frank Aufmuth
                    Frank Aufmuth
                    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

To piggy back off of Frank’s post. For those of you bringing horses make sure to get some miles on them before the event and not just in the arena. They need to be prepared as much or more than you do. I would also recommend getting a tube of electrolyte paste for them and keeping it in your saddle bag. I know it is not period but it can make a big difference in their ability to recover for the next day. Also get your saddle out and check all the points that come in contact with buckles etc. and the stitching to make sure nothing is going to break on you.

Chris Talburt

Comment

Working...
                      X