X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Co.A Registration

Paul,

As Frank says:

"This is about Rations. It takes considerable planning just to get things you take for granted like hardtack, bacon and the other good things we fry up. It all needs to be ordered in advance. Those of us on the logistical end are pulling our hair out just trying to figure out how much to order."
    Maybe that is what happened to my hair. Hmmmm. I was looking over a rations, private purchase, and forage items budget for a fairly recent event that featured a headcount forecast of 147 people, and, in no particular order:

Wheat Flour $9
    Coffee $36
    Beans $8
    Smoked, salt Herring $12
    Cheese $32
    Butter $8
    Candles $45
    Molasses $14
    Ginger Cakes $6
    Pepper Sauce $2
    Canned Fruit $14
    Canned Lobster $20
    Canned Tomatoes $20
    Raw Sugar $21
    White Sugar $3
    Jams, Marmalades, and Preserves $18
    Peach Butter $4
    Apple Butter $16
    Onions $5
    Green Onions $3
    Parsnips $18
    Ham $28
    Dried Apple Pies $36
    Tea $4
    Fresh Oysters $60
    Vinegar $4
    Eggs $6
    Pepper $1
    Desiccated Potatoes $32
    Pickled Peaches $16
    Assorted beet, okra, cucumber, Pickles $14
    Bacon $42
    Hardtack $426
    Soft Bread $40
    Dried Fruit $18
    Shortbread Cakes $12
    Goobers $3
    Condensed Milk $9
    Smoked Oysters $8
    Powdered Lemonade $6

Just a glimpse at some of the stuff going on in the background for a simple living history effort. By the time all was said and done, quite a few of those items were either donated, home grown, or otherwise lessened. Total amount of waste was minimal, and the fun part was the documentation for what the officers and men were really eating at that time was plain as day, and featured some fun stuff -- once they got through three weeks of nothing but hardtack and coffee.

Going through this for two, perhaps three, events in the very near future, I can full well relate to what Frank is going through out there in Missouri.

Originally posted by FlatLandFed View Post
    I certainly enjoyed the double rations (thanka Mssr Heef) at AHT but that had a lot to do with guys who couldn't make it at the last minute. (Soitainly no one would have refused even a morsel of such fare? That was some of the best salted piggy ever.)
    You should come visit when we have a barrel or two of salt beef in the works! :)

Having some scant knowledge of this subject, I'm usually impressed when I see what others do for their events. Others? Uh, oh, I need to return yet another phone call from a certain newlywed....

Oh, yeah, get registered.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Soooooooo, the question becomes -- if I send in my $25 but cannot go, can that money be applied to preservation?

Paul to answer this question. Yes. Every cent left over from this event along with proceeds from the raffle will go to the local historical societies and the preservation and interpretation of the Forts in Patterson and Ellington.
      Don't forget to buy your raffle tickets guys.
      Frank
      Frank Aufmuth
      When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Bully lads,

Jonah may make a return to the Western Theatre after all.

I have paid the piper (and electrician, mason and HVAC man) re the home improvements to Hardscrabble House. I will get a paycheck on Friday so that I can send my registration and money order asap after that.

Not a bonafide guarantee that I will be at Marmy's for the duration but at least my name will be in A Company's hat and I hope to arrive very late on Friday, cause as much havoc as possible on Saturday and bug out Sunday morning so that I will be at work on time.

We'll see if the schedule lightens up enough to allow for this. In the meantime, I shall get my kit together -- IF I can find anything from the catacombs that used to be our storage area and rumpus room.

As it's possible that I still won't be able to join the fun, of course my registration fee (yikes went up another $5 on me) is still for a good cause.

Ever forward,
        Paul Hadley
        Uhm, uhm -- looking forward to a haversack full of tasty tidbits. But I shan't be inclined to kiss the cook.
        Paul Hadley

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLandFed View Post
          Uhm, uhm -- looking forward to a haversack full of tasty tidbits. But I shan't be inclined to kiss the cook.
          Paul,

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not cooking at this event, but this would be a great time for the three company cooks to step forward to be ridiculed, er, um, recognized for the great culinary criminal act, ah, uh, work, yep, that's it -- they are about to perform. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Happy as a pig in slop to be representing this man for a few brief shining moments:
          "Jason R. Millard. Age. 35. Residence Waterloo, nativity Pennsylvania. Enlisted Aug. 11, 1862. Mustered Sept. 13, 1862. Promoted Commissary Sergeant from Company C, Oct. 6, 1862. Reduced to ranks and returned to Company Sept. 13, 1864."
          See you in a few weeks. Did I mention the Iron Chef competition?
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Howdy,

Sent in my money order for $30 on Saturday and am hoping to soon receive directions to the site, secret grip and decoder ring, antidote to whatever morsels await, instructions on sutler wares to be had and general disposition of the Brave 32nd of the National Army.

I have to help get my lads to school on Friday morning. Depending on the alertness of the State Patrol I could be to Marmy's in as little as 8 hours or as long as 9 1/2. It could be quite darkish about that time in the late afternoon?

You Ohio boys who were kept awake that first evening of AHT with my constant whine of "Does anyone know where is Co B 1st Minnesota?" in that tent city please take pity and begin planning a highway of torches to get me from the edge of the camp to Co A !!!

Of course that is making the bold assumption that I will be able to first find the marking lot at Clear Lake, then safely navigate through secesh pickets and local ne'er do wells to even find the federals.

Sigh. I guess being at part of a great event is much better than not being able to attend at all. On the bright side, if I do get captured, I can look forward to (I'm guessing) some sort of refreshment from my hosts and good entertainment from Banjo Carl.

Now, back to mending uniform parts, replacing a leather canteen strap with cloth, and rolling, rolling, rolling cartridges. Oh yes -- a good man in the Texas Ground Hornets is making six arsenal packs of rounds for me for my "back up" rounds. Can he mark them "Hadley" and give them to whomever is storing our ammunition cache on Thursday?

Sorry to be a pain with messing up the schedule, but every outfit needs a Jonah or two.

See you all in a couple of weeks. Hydrating as I type,
            Paul Hadley
            Slippin Falls Mess
            Paul Hadley

Comment

Thanks friend Holler,
              I'll download the map and instructions.
              Ticks and skeeters, yes, but will there be pie?
              Paul Hadley
              Paul Hadley

Comment

Paul,

One of the first vital pieces of information about most any CW event is located here:

Sun and Moon for One Day
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                X